Chapter 6

Muse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6

 

The hustling restaurant couldn't seem to bother the quiet girl sitting on a corner. Her eyes were glued to the wooden table in front of her, looking at it blankly. Her mood hadn't improved since lunch that day, after the unexpected invitation of her best friend to her other friend. Wendy couldn't think of any possible reason how in the world did that happen. Right in front of her.

"Earth to Sengwannie, hello??" the girl beside her waved her hand in front of her face.

Wendy went out of her daze and looked at her best friend. "Yes? You were saying something?" she asked.

"Are you okay? You just suddenly spaced out. Are you feeling sick?" Seulgi asked, scrutinizing the face in front of her, detecting any signs of sickness and discomfort.

"No, I'm fine. Just thinking of all the deadlines I need to catch up." she lied. She adjusted herself on her seat and avoided the gaze of the blonde girl. 

"Hm. O-kay." Seulgi replied, focusing her attention back to her glass of orange juice. She played with the white bendable straw in it, stirring the sweet liquid. "I realy didn't know what got into me. Inviting her here for dinner, I mean." she suddenly spoke after a few minutes of silence.

Wendy's head snapped back at Seulgi. She looked at her with wide eyes, thinking that the girl could've read her thoughts. "W-what?" she murmured.

"I don't know what came over me when I asked her that. Now I am just plainly nervous. I don't even know what to say to her once she gets here." she sighed and deflated. "What mess did I get myself into, Seungwannie?" she looked at her dumbfounded best friend.

"I-I don't know. You tell me."

"Ugh, this is frustrating." Seulgi leaned back on her seat, crossing her arms. Her mind is a mess right now, thinking of things that she could possibly talk with Irene. All the courage she had earlier that day seemed to vanish the moment she stepped inside their rendezvous. Her best friend being distracted can't seem to help her delimma right now. 

Minutes had passed but both still haven't said a word to each other, staring blankly at two different directions. They didn't even notice the girl, who they are waiting for, entering the diner and walking towards their table. 

A cough. "Excuse me?" the girl said in mellow voice.

The two sitting girls, who people would've thought had a staring contest going on between them, raised their heads together, looking at the newly-arrived girl in front of them.

Seulgi instantly jumped up off her seat and Wendy did the same, but calmly. The blonde girl, looking so nervous and anxious, bowed down to ninety degrees while her best friend on the side just smiled and waved to the girl in front of them.

Irene chuckled looking at the bowing Seulgi. She then looked at Wendy and smiled at her, waving as well. "Hi. How long have you two been waiting? Sorry I am late." she said - apologetic. "I got held up in the registrar's office. There seems to be a problem with my papers. Thankfully they were able to resolve it quickly." she timidly smiled. "But not that quick, I guess." she continued, looking guiltily at the table containing 3 tall empty glasses and a bowl of chips.

The fidgety blonde girl followed her line of sight and quickly got what the other girl was thinking. "Oh no, it's totally fine. We were just really hungry when we got here so we ordered some snacks." Seulgi grinned shippishly, trying to make just brief eye contacts with the girl.

"Yeah. You're just really on time. We're the ones who were early." Wendy quipped. Seulgi then looked at her, as if conveying a 'thank you.' She just nod in response.

"Please do have a seat." Seulgi asked Irene.

The first few minutes were awkward between the three of them. The have already placed their orders but even after the waiter left, no one still seem to want to strike a conversation. Most of the time, their eyes were fixed on something else, avoiding even a quick eye contact.

One girl, in particular, could no longer bear the atmosphere. As much as she want to help her best friend and catch up with her other best friend, she just couldn't take being confined in the same place with the two. Not now at least. 

"Okay, let's stop trying to read each other's minds. Talk." Wendy blatantly spoke.

Two pairs of round eyes were glued to her. She just shrugged her shoulders and raised her brows. "What? I thought the purpose of this dinner is having the two of you to talk?" she asked the two.

Wendy felt a kick on the side of her ankle and looked at the girl sitting beside her. "I-I. U-uh, yeah. Thank you for coming all the way here, Irene-ssi. I must've been keeping you from something by invitin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter