This even more

Love Monster

 

I was pulled out of slumber by the nurse shaking me conscious followed by a sharp pain in my head. Not only was I awake but so was my headache again.

 

Mr. Kwon, school is over. Time to go home.” I nodded at her as I rubbed my head. “Is you head still hurting? Here take another pill.” She gave me more medicine. I noticed that the curtain was pulled back revealing an empty bed. The Dark Sleeping Beauty was gone. I thanked the nurse and left.

 

I was ready to get out of these gym clothes and back into my uniform. I could clearly see a small stain of blood on my shirt from the nose bleed. It was kinda grossing me out. As I reached my locker once I returned to the locker room, I saw that it was already open. Strange. There was just a single sheet of paper lying in it. My uniform and shoes were not inside my locker. I took the paper into my hands and turned it around to see a message in red ink.

 

TOLIET.

 

That was the only word on the paper. I felt my throat get salty. This couldn’t be happening to me. I stepped away for the locker area and went to where the toilets were located. I checked each urinal and no sign of my uniform. Then I checked each stall but the last one. The last one was the old one that had writing all over it and the toilet had been broken for quite sometime. No one ever went near it except for today. I touched the door of the stall and slowly opened it. The strong smell of urine and mold filled my nostrils. My eyes went wide in horror. There were my uniform and my school slippers jammed inside the brown rotted toilet. I almost wanted to cry.

 

it up, Jiyong, you’re a man.” I told myself.

 

I rather die then to dig my hands into this toilet with no protection. I could get a disease. I decided to check out the janitor’s closet to see if I could find some gloves and a bag. Luckily for me there were some and I took what I needed. It was time to face my big enemy, KILLER TOILET. I closed my eyes as I reached my hand into the dark yellow water to get my things. Even though I had gloves on I still felt grossed out. I took a hold of my things and raised them out of the toilet. Then I quickly stuffed them in the bag and tied it, all while holding my breath. Then I quickly took off the gloves and scrubbed my hands like there was no tomorrow.

 

I guess I’m stuck in my gym clothes and tennis shoes for now. Could be worst, I guess. My glasses weren’t in the toilet so I wonder if he found them or not. Not that it mattered I had a spare at home.

 

Hyung!” I heard my friend’s shout for me as I exited the gym.

 

Hyung, there you are. We thought that you were still in the nurse office but when we got there you were gone. Are you feeling better?” Youngbae asked.

 

Um…yes and no.” I rubbed my head.

 

We have your glasses.” I took them from Youngbae and put them on my face. They were cracked badly. Good thing I have those spares.

 

I’m so sorry about this. I should have tried to jump Seunghyun!” Daesung said sadly.

 

No, its fine. I was just to slow to react.”

 

What’s with the bag…it smells?” Youngbae noticed the plastic bag I was holding.

 

Um…let’s say that Seunghyun decided not only did my face need abuse but so did my uniform.”

 

Aishhh, that jerk. I should sock him one. He needs to leave you alone.”

 

Yah, it’s fine. I can take care of myself, guys. No need for my friends getting bullied too. Seunghyun is a total monster. I heard that’s he’s in a gang. Just look at him, he has a face of a gang leader. I think its best for me to endure the bullying for now. No need ticking him off and getting ourselves murder.”

 

I saw my friends gulp. Then they petted me on the shoulder.

 

Be strong Jiyong.” they both encouraged me.

 

I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I dug into my my pocket and saw Siwon’s name on the screen as I held it in my hands. I answered imeddiately.

 

Hey.”

 

Jiyong buddy, where are you?”

 

I’m at school.”
 

Ok, are you still coming to the library?”

 

Library….oh” I almost forgot I’m suppose to be meeting Siwon to work on my paper. “Yes, I’ll be there sorry. Something came up, I’ll be there asap.”

 

Cool, I’ll be waiting.” Then he hung up.

 

Guys, I got to go to the library.”

 

Oh, ok man. We’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

I waved at my friends and raced to the library.

 

I’m sorry I am late.” I say to Siwon. He was seated at a table in the study area of the library.

 

It’s fine. What happened to you face and your glasses?”

 

Um…I got hit with a soccer ball.”

 

Oh, it looks painful. Your face is like a tomato.” he winced.

 

I quickly changed the subject.

 

So let’s get started with this. I’m ready to learn.” I forced a smile and plop down right beside him.

 

Alright, after I’m done with you, you will be as good of a writer as me.”

 

Siwon was a very good tutor but too bad he had to work with someone like me.

 

Siwon, I think I just wasn’t born with creativity.” I sulked.

 

Nonsense, anyone can write a good story. You just need to dig in deep into your imagination. “

 

Right..” I think I don’t really have much of an imagination, I prefer reality.

 

So tell me about how your day went?” he said randomly.

 

What?” that came out of the blue. “I uh woke up and…”

 

No, write it down.”

 

Why?”

 

Jiyong buddy just do it, I’ll explain after wards.

 

Oh ok.” I say and start writing down my day. Despite not really wanting to review the horrid moments of today I did it anyways. After I scribbled away with my pencil, I looked over what I wrote.

 

I woke up and got dressed. I had breakfast and walked to school. I went to my morning classes and had lunch with my two best friends. In P.E., I got hit with a ball and had to go to the nurse’s office. One of my classmates was there. We talked then I went to sleep.

 

Perfect. Short and sweet and I cut out some of the embarrassing parts. I proudly handed it to Siwon. Who eagerly took it and read it over.

 

Boring, as I thought. Now I want you to rewrite this with more details and add some feeling and personality. Jiyong I gave you this simple assignment to see what level your writing is and to help you improve from here.”

Ok, I can rewrite this thing. More feeling, right. I sorta wish he had told me so from the beginning. I took out another sheet of paper and started to write more slowly this time.

 

I woke up and had toast and eggs for breakfast. I walked to school as usual. I went to my morning classes. They were fun. I had a delicious lunch with my two best friends. At P.E. class a ball came falling into my face and broke my glasses. It hurt a lot. I went to the nurse’s office and she gave me some aspirin. She also told me to nap. I couldn’t. I saw one of my classmates. She couldn’t pronounce my name right. She went to sleep and then I did afterwards. Then I went to the library.

 

I still cut out the part with Mr. Kim and Seunghyun. Even though I know he noticed that I took out that part with Mr. Kim. However I felt that this one was definitely very good. No way could he dislike it. I gave it to him with confidence. Siwon looked over my paper and frowned a little.

 

A bit better, but still bad.”

 

What do you mean? I added more detail and feeling.”

 

Jiyong, you can do better than this. Also you cut out the part about Writing Composition.”

 

Siwon had me rewrite it five times and still I wasn’t at the level that was considered decent enough to not get harassed by Mr. Kim.

 

Siwon, can we just start the homework now?” I said in defeat. This simple exercise turned out to be more complicated than I could handle.

 

Well okay, take your time. You can do it.” He cheered me on. As I was writing occasionally he would look over my shoulder and critiqued me.

 

Too dull.”

 

A minute later.

 

Use an adjective.”

 

A second later.

 

Be a bit more creative than that.”

 

I threw my pencil down on the floor. I could feel my blood pulsating through my veins.

 

Can’t you see, I am not a writer.” I practically yelled forgetting that I was in a library. I got a couple shhs from some other people. I still keep yelling and I could feel myself start to lose myself to stress. I can't remember what happened but I noticed there were books scattered all around and my hands held shreds of my homework assignment. In the corner of my eye I swore I saw the Dark Sleeping Beauty spying at me behind a shelf but I probably was just hallunticating.

 

Jiyong...calm down. “ Siwon held onto my shoulders and slowly rubbed them. “Here, don't worry about the assignment I'll write the first part for you.” I nodded and picked up the mess I made as well as apologized to everyone I disturbed. Then returned back to the table to start again. Siwon gave me more encouraging words.

 

Don’t give up. It takes time; remember when you helped me with Algebra?” We both laughed at the memory. My stress slowly was draining away.

 

Yeah, you were terrible. I started to worry if your math skills didn’t advance farther than the 6th grade.” My comment caused us both to laugh even harder, earning us even more shhs.

 

Thanks.” I said after we calmed down. That did make me feel even more better.

 

Your welcome. Hey, you hungry?”

 

Yeah, a little bit.” All this writing did make me kinda hungry.

 

Let’s go get some ramyun. I’ll pay.” He smiled at me brightly. We packed up our stuff and went to a ramyun shop.

 

I couldn’t believe I forgot that I looked like crap. No wonder people kept staring at me. A couple of people asked me if I was okay and I nodded. I decided to ditched the cracked glasses and eat blinded.

 

I’m sorry, we can go if you are uncomfortable.” he noticed my sudden change in mood.

 

No, no its okay.” I lied. I didn’t want to miss this opportunity to hang out Siwon; he wasn’t just anyone and this moment I had with him was practically a dream come true. I was so glad he wanted to talk to a guy like me, Kwon Jiyong the king of the geeks and losers. Hmm..then it dawned on me after that thought. Why would Siwon want to hang out with me? No one talks to me unless they want to copy off my homework. Maybe this is all an act and he was planning to pretend to be my friend then embarrass me in front of the whole school. That explains why he has me out here now while I look like crap.

 

Is there something on my face?” Siwon started to rub his face.

 

Hmm oh..um no.” I guess I had been staring at him, I had not even noticed. I faked a laugh. “I was thinking about something.”

 

Oh what were you thinking about if you don’t mind me asking?”

 

Oh nothing really. Uh what time is it?”

 

He checked his cell phone. “It’s almost 6.”

 

6!” Crap! I need to get home now. I stood up and grabbed my bag and put on my glasses. Siwon looked a bit worried.

 

Is something wrong?”

 

No, I just need to get home.”

 

Oh, okay. It was fun hanging out with you.”

 

Bye.” I yelled racing out before he could respond. I ran as fast as my non-in-shape legs would go. When I reached my house it was 6:02. I was late and I hope that she didn’t notice. I slowly open the door to my house and crept in.

 

JIYONG!” I heard my mom yell at the top of her lungs. Looked like she noticed I was late. I almost fell over when I felt her wrap her arms around me.

 

Where were you? You’re late! I thought that you might have been dead!” she started to sob.

After the lost of both my father and brother to tragic accidents she became very protective of me over the years. There was a time she wouldn't even allow me to go outside because she was so afraid of losing me too. Now she just doesn't want me to be out past 6, to her anytime past that hour is like asking for something bad to happen.

 

Sorry mom, I was with a friend. I lost track of time.”

 

She examined my face and I saw her nearly have a heart attack.

 

Jiyong, baby what happened your face? Why are your glasses cracked? Who did this to you?”

 

I got hit with a ball in P.E.” I knew telling her this will only make her freak out more.

 

Ahh, that’s why I didn’t want you taking that class! It’s a death trap. What if that ball would have killed you?”

 

I rolled my eyes.

 

Why are you still in your P.E. uniform too?”

 

Umm…” now I am going to add more fuel to the fire. “I accidentally dropped my uniform and shoes into the toilet.”

 

How’d you do a thing like that?” her eyes went wide in unbelief.

 

Uh..Ow.” I pretended my head was hurting so I didn’t have to answer that. My mom went into full mother mode and comforted me.

 

Here son, go upstairs and rest. I will bring you some aspirin. I will wash your uniform and clean your shoes.” She hugged me and took my soiled clothes.

 

I went upstairs and threw myself onto the bed. It felt good to finally be away from it all if only for a few hours. I reached under my pillow and pulled out my journal. I tossed my broken glasses into the trash and retrieve my other pair on top of my dresser. I know I know…I hate writing my feelings and stuff but this little journal is good therapy. I never really pay attention to what I write nor do I read it. I just write and then hide it away. After I finished writing in my journal as my mother came in the room. I hid my journal under my pillow.

 

Jiyong, I have the medicine. I even crushed it for you so you wouldn’t choke.” Ugh. I hated it like that. She always mixed it with my water making not only it taste horrible but take long to take effect. I drink down the vile substance and laid my head on my pillow. My mom caressed my cheek.

 

I’m going up to your school tomorrow and having you taken out of P.E.” she announced.

 

As much would love that, I didn’t want that. It’s the only class that me and my best friends all have class together. Besides; how embarrassing would it be to have my mom show up at school?

 

Mom, don’t worry. I’ll be more careful next time.”

 

That’s what you always say. You come home all the time with cuts and bruises.” she started to get teary eyed all over again.

 

If only she knew that Seunghyun was the cause of all that. I didn’t want her to worry. I can take care of myself. I’ll just settle things with him…somehow. I myself for one would like to come home scrape free but also I worried about ticking him off still.

 

Mom, give me one more chance. If I come home with a bruise again, I’ll drop out of P.E.”

 

But...” I cut her off.

 

Mom, I am a big boy. I can take care of myself.”

 

She hugs me tight. “I just worry about you baby. We already lost you father and your brother. I couldn’t stand if I lost you too.”

 

Arasso, I know mom, let me rest okay.”

 

Okay.” She lets go of me and backs away to the door. “I love you, Jiyong.”

 

I love you too, mom.”

 

Author's Note

I'm going to post up chapter 3 today as well probably in an hour. :D So stay tuned.