This

Love Monster

I always hated this class...Writing Composition. Give me any other class: Science, Math, Geography; even P.E. (which I also hate) and I could excel at it. This class however I am far from even being average. I, Kwon Jiyong am not a writer. I tried and seriously dedicated my well being to learning to write. I’ve read several books dated from 18th century classical literature to today’s modern gushy romance novels but still nothing. Don’t get me wrong I can write a paper about Albert Einstein with full pack details but ask me to write a story about a boy with a magical dog and I’m clueless. I’m all about facts not fiction. Fairy tales and silly make believe things should have died in elementary school where they belong.

 

To make matters worse, I have Mr. Kim Jaejoong as my teacher. He is like the evil King of Literature. Anyone who can’t write up to his standards are at his mercy. He never let’s up and always gives me a rough time about my writing. I really wish I were like those cool kids who skip classes but I’m far too good to try it. I even hate being absent from school when I’m sick. So today, I’ll sit here and pray that my paper from last week was decent and I get to avoid any more teasing from Mr. Kim. I could feel my hands sweating as he passed back the class assignment from the previous day. I know he is taking his sweet time reaching my desk because of the devilish grin on his face.

 

Good job, Mr. Choi. Your paper was a pleasant to read. You got an ‘A’.” I watched as he smiled and gave one of my fellow students his paper. I clenched onto my pen tightly. I hate Siwon I wish I could steal the part of his brain that holds his creativity as well as his handsome looks. Not only was he one of the most popular boys in school but he also was my rival in everything. There was nothing this guy didn't excel at and the ideal student that made all the teachers sing praises.

 

Uh Oh…after Siwon is me. I felt the sweat has now traveled up to my face. I watch as my teacher’s face change from joyous to horrific when he looked at me. I gulped. His foots steps slowly making their way to my desk. Slowly tormenting me more for what I had been dreading all morning. He brushed his long bangs behind his ear and opened his mouth to speak to me.

 

Mr. Kwon.” He pulled out my paper from the stack in his hands. He looked at it then me. He turned the paper to the front side for me to see. My eyes went wide when I saw the huge letter grade in red.

 

Looks like you earned yourself another D.” he announced out loud for all students to hear. “I have to say that your story you wrote for this assignment could have been written better by a dog.”

 

Then right on cue, I could hear all the laughter of my classmates fill the room and everything became white before my eyes. I almost felt like crying. I’ve embarrassed myself again. During moments like this I tend to disappear for awhile inside my mind. Sometimes I do strange things even. I don't know why and it's hard to control..I never been really well at dealing with stress and anger.

 

No need to pull all your hair out, Mr. Kwon. You can try again on your next paper.” Then I snapped out of my trance and realized I was pulling my hair. I gasped as I saw a few of my black strands in my hands. I quickly hide them in my lap while blushing in embarrassment and took my paper from him. If Mr. Kim had not said anything I probably would have pulled out all my hair. I still felt completely mortified so I refused to make eye contact with anyone especially that Siwon!

 

Mr. Kim finally left my presences and went to the next desk behind me.

 

Are you serious, a student would dare sleep in my class?” I could hear Mr. Kim tapping his foot in frustration.

 

I turned around to see that it was that transfer student. She was knocked out cold on her desk with her hair spread beautifully. I call her ‘dark sleeping beauty’.. never out loud though. She was like no girl I had ever seen. Her skin was pale like a vampire and her hair the color of a raven. I've never seen her without her signature cherry red lipstick and dark eye shadow. Also the reason I called her this nickname was because I never seen her awake. She was always sleeping in every class I had with her. No one knows much about her. Some students are afraid to talk to her.

 

Mr. Kim told us to all keep quiet. He went to his desk and pulled out a big book then came back to her desk. I watched as he took all his strength and slammed it onto her desk next to her head. She was immediately startled and fell on the floor with the book hitting her head. Everyone laughed except me.

 

Miss Park, I’d like it if you didn’t use my classroom as a place for your sleeping sessions.” She gave the teacher a big glare as she got up to get back into her chair. She also glared at the other students. When she looked at me I got nervous and turned around.

 

I’m sorry, Mr. Kim but your class bores me. Maybe if you talked about something interesting I could stay awake.” I found myself turning around in my seat once more. I couldn’t believe she just said that to his face. Does she want to die?

 

I was surprise that my teacher kept his cool, he even smiled.

 

Is that so?”

 

Yeah, it takes more than just good looks to keep my interest. I’m not like these emptied headed fan girls in this class.”

 

Mr. Kim smile turned grim. He balled up her paper and threw it in the trash.

 

Looks like you just earned yourself a zero on this paper. It’s not like it matters anyways. Just like Mr. Kwon here your writing is terrible. Except he can spell Mrs. Park, I have no idea how you made it to high school with the spelling skill sets of a 5-year-old.”

 

The class was laughing yet again. I really felt like I should have skipped class today.

 

Finally class was back to normal after me and Dark Sleeping Beauty had our unwanted moment. I found it hard to pay attention now I still haven’t had the effects of embarrassment rub off me yet. I peeked behind me and saw that Dark Sleeping Beauty had fell asleep again despite what happened earlier. I wish I could sleep carefree like that but I have to worry about passing this class.

 

Class, for homework tonight I’d like you to read this part of this story then come up with how you think this story will end. Be creative and have fun.” The teacher said as the bell was ringing.

 

The students got up to leave and a bunch of girls paraded around Mr. Kim as he left the classroom as well.

 

Hey, Kwon.” I hadn’t notice that Siwon was still in the class.

 

Uh, yes?” I reply.

 

I could help you with your paper if you like; I know it is hard for you to write.”

 

Oh, you don’t have to do that.”

 

I want to. You helped me with Algebra. I feel like I owe you one.” Oh yeah algebra his once long time weakness that I helped him defeat and become completely perfect.

 

Um…ok.”

 

Cool…see you after school, Jiyong buddy.” He said with a smile then he waved at me and left the class.

 

Did that really happen? When did Siwon and I actually become buddies? Maybe he isn’t so bad after all.

 

I started to pack up my stuff when I couldn’t help but to notice that ‘Dark Sleeping Beauty’ had not heard the bell. Should I wake her? It is lunch time.

 

Psst…” I whispered. She didn’t stir so I lightly tapped her. She still didn’t even move. “ Hey, umm you should get it. Class is over.” I said to her in a louder tone but she still laid peacefully. She really was pretty behind all that weird make up. I leaned in close to her face to get a better look at her face. Just like cruel fate her eyes opened. I froze.

 

What are you doing?” she asked bitterly.

 

Nothing! I was just waking you, class is over! I didn’t want you to miss lunch.”

 

She let out a yawn and soften her voice. “Oh, thanks.”

 

Um…oh for homework Mr. Kim wants us to read this then come up with our own ending.” I showed her the homework.

 

She grinned. “I think my ending will include Mr. Kim getting his balls cut off.”

 

You shouldn’t write that, you’ll get in trouble.” I felt nervous and I so did not want her to get in trouble.

 

It'll be worth seeing Mr. Kim’s face all distorted in rage. You should do it too.”

 

Before I could say anything my friends came busting into the classroom.

 

There you are, Jiyong hyung! Why are you still in class…oh.” Daesung noticed that the transfer student was in the room.

 

Both he and YoungBae dragged me out the class before I could even say bye to her.

 

Once they got me in the hall they started drilling me with questions.

 

What was going on between you and that chick? Her name is Park Sandara, right?”

 

You finally got a girl, hyung?”

 

I rubbed my face and looked at the ground.

 

Nothing happened.” I responded to their demanding questions.

 

YOU AND A GIRL ALONE IN A CLASSROOM…AND NOTHING HAPPENED? YOU ARE SO LIEING!” Daesung practically screamed at me. He was taking up my breathing space. I started walking faster down the hall to get away from him.

 

I told her about the homework assignment for class that’s all. Nothing more..nothing less.”

 

Aishh hyung you are so boring.” He hit me in the back. “You and YoungBae have no luck with the ladies at all.”

 

I fixed my glasses. “It’s not like you have a girlfriend!”

 

What? I so do have a girlfriend?”

 

Who’s that?” YoungBae asked.

 

Yes who is it this time?”

 

Daesung has a history of having imaginary girlfriends. It’s kind of annoying. One day he is with this girl the next another. It is never ending with him.

 

What do you mean by this time?” Daesung pouted.

 

We finally reached the cafeteria. I thought we never get out of the hallway I am starving.

 

YoungBae and I were ignoring Daesung, we were tired of his lies. Daesung grabs us both by the ear.

 

Don’t ignore me you guys!”

 

Ow, yah okay okay!” I screamed.

 

Let go of our ears. We will listen.” YoungBae pleaded.

 

Daesung let us go and we got into line to get food.

 

Good. My girlfriend is Lee Chae-rin.” He said happily.

 

No way, Lee Chae-rin? She’s like one of the coolest chicks in our school.”

 

I reached over to grab us some rice bowls.

 

Yep, and I’m dating her.”

 

When did you two start dating? And how did you even get a girl like her?” YoungBae asked in bewilderment.

 

Well…we started dating last week.” Daesung blushed. “What do you mean by how did I get a girl like her. YoungBae, I’m like the King of Charisma.”

 

Me and YoungBae laugh. Daesung got irritated at us and repeated over and over his whole fake history with girls. We paid for our food and walked away from the line to find a table.

 

Oh look there is Chae-rin, let’s go sit with her and her friends.” I say. I could see Daesung getting nervous and he started to shake his head.

 

I d-don’t w-wanna b-b-bother her. Let’s sit somewhere else.” He stutters.

 

How can you bother her? She is your girlfriend, right?” YoungBae asked. I could tell by his face he was holding in his laughter.

 

Yah, I just wanna give her some space. No one likes a clingy boyfriend...er oh, let’s sit over here.” Daesung ran to a table that was far from Chae-rin’s. We joined him. YoungBae wasn’t done asking questions.

 

Can you prove to us that you are dating her?”

 

Daesung smiles nervously. “Yah, why don’t you believe me? I told you YoungBae we are dating.”

 

I won’t believe you until you prove it.” he challenged him once more.

 

Fine!” Daesung stood up and walked up to Chae-rin who was seated with the other queenkas of the school.

 

This is going to be good.” I whisper to my best friend.We kept our eyes glued to our dear friend and his ‘girlfriend’. They started talking like normal and Chae-rin even laughed. Then she reached into her bag and pulled out a paper and handed it to Daesung. Then they talked some more. After a minute or so, he returned back to us with a look of glory.

 

See…I told you two. We are dating.” he gave us a V-sign.

 

No way, this is so hard to believe.” I felt my jaw drop.

 

Hyung…this is amazing. I’m sorry I DOUBTED YOU!”

 

It’s okay, my dongsaengie. I forgive you.” He sat down and placed the sheet of paper Chae-rin gave him into his bag.

 

What’s on that paper?” I ask.

 

It’s a love note. And no…you can’t see it, my eyes only.” He stuck out his tongue.

 

A love note too. Aigoo, I need a girl, too.” YoungBae pouted.

 

I’m jealous of YoungBae…just a little. He actually is very good looking even for a nerd. He’s been asked out before by a couple of girls but he’s just no good with people, except me and Daesung. YoungBae is just very shy and introverted but if he got use to people I bet he'd blossom into a heartthrob.

 

Daesung, is very positive person. Always smiling and though he has a tendency to lie he doesn’t mean any harm. He is a great guy to hang with. When I am having a bad day his happiness has a way of rubbing off on me as well as other surrounding him.

 

Then there is me, Jiyong. I am not attractive at all. I’m scrawny, short, have crooked teeth and wear dorky glasses. Then to add to this list, I also have a tendency to weird people out with my nerdiness. Studying is my life, I get all A’s except in Writing Composition. My social skills need some work. I am just as shy as YoungBae sometimes. I guess that just makes me a typical nerd.

 

Hey, hyung are you going to eat your food?” I was so much in thought I didn’t even notice I haven’t touched my food.

 

Yeah, I forgot to get my chopsticks. Be right back.” I stood up and raced to the front of the cafeteria to get my chopsticks. Once I retrieve them I raced back. I bumped into someone by accident.

 

I’m sorry.”

 

You better be, four eyes.” I looked up and saw that I had bumped into Seunghyun. He looked extremely upset. His eyes were drilling into my head.

 

Sorry.” I said one more time then I raced back to my table.

 

I’m shocked that he didn’t do anything to you.” My friends saw that I had crashed into THE Seunghyun and had got away bruise free.

 

Maybe, he won’t be bullying me anymore.” I sighed in relief. That would be great. I don’t know what I did to upset him. Last month Seunghyun didn’t even know I existed then suddenly my face became a target for his fist.

 

I highly doubt that.” Daesung killed all the hope in me after saying that.

 

At the end of the day I had my final class, P.E., my second least favorite class of the day. The only good thing is me and my friends have this class together. Also this class is taught by a Mr. Kim. Only I prefer this Kim over the other. Mr. Kim Junsu was actually nice and didn’t make me feel intimidated unlike Mr. Kim Jaejoong.

 

When we were in the locker room getting dressed I asked my buddies a question.

 

What do you think; Mr. Kim will have us do today?”

 

You already know the answer to that.” Youngbae gave me his know-it-all look.

 

Soccer.” We all say in unison.

 

Aishh…I am so bad at that sport. Why can’t we do table tennis or something?” I whined.

 

I don’t know but I really don't mind. I actually like soccer.” YoungBae says happily.

 

Yah, it’s because you are good at it.” I ruffled his hair and he scrunched up his face.

 

Come on, let’s get this over with.” I say to them. I was so not in the mood for this.

 

P.E. started and just as predicted we were going to be playing soccer. Mr. Kim splitted the class up into two teams. My friends and I unfortunately were not on the same team. Instead they were on…Seunghyun’s team. Yeah he is in this class with me too. The teacher blew the whistle and the game began. I started out pretty good. Maybe that saying ‘practice makes perfect’ actually was true.

 

Jiyong!” I heard Daesung yell my name which pulled me out of my concentration. I looked at him and saw him pointing. I was a bit too late in reacting, I saw Seunghyun in a flash kick the ball hard into my direction and it went straight to my face. I saw blackness as I hit the ground.

 

TIME OUT!” I could hear the teacher yelling and footsteps racing to me. I opened my eyes to see blurs of faces around me. My nose was bleeding and I my glasses went flying who knows where.

 

Omo, Kwon are you ok?” All I could do was let out a moan. He picked me up to my feet.

Dong, please take Kwon to the nurses office.” the teacher ordered.

 

Yes,sir.” Youngbae was quickly by my side and help me walk to the nurses office.

 

Hyung, are you ok?” he sounded like he was going to cry.

 

Do I look ok to you?” I gave him a glare.

 

I guess that was a dumb question?”

 

Once we got into the nurse’s office she freaked out.

 

What happened?”

 

He um… got hit with a soccer ball.”

 

Quick, sit him down. I need to stop the bleeding.” I sat down and the nurse quickly came to my aid. “Young man, thanks you can go back to class.”

 

O-Okay.” I saw the blur of Youngbae leave the nurse’s office.

 

After the nurse helped me, she gave me some pain medicine and told me to rest. I found it hard to do because of my pounding headache. I heard her cellphone ring and she excused herself. I rolled over on the bed restlessly. I noticed a shadow behind the curtain that divided the two beds in the room.

 

Curiosity kicked in me and I leaped off the bed and pulled the curtain back. There was a person lying on the bed. It looked like a girl. I wasn’t quite sure who it was because I didn’t have my glasses on. Curiouser...Curiouser...I became more and took a closer look.

 

What are you doing?” a familiar yet unfamilar at the same time voice entered my ears.

 

I jumped backed quickly. If I had known this girl was awake I would have not stepped so closely.

 

I’m sorry I wasn’t doing anything I was just seeing who you are.” I confessed.

 

You forgot who I am already? Do you have a habit of waking people up and forgetting who they are?”

 

Park…Sandara?” I gaped in surprise.

 

Yes, that’s me.”

 

I didn’t forget who you are, I just don’t have my glasses on.”

 

Oh…yeah you don’t” she just noticed. “What happened to your face? You look like crap.”

 

Ouch that hurt. Do I look that bad? I’m afraid to even look in a mirror.

 

I got hit with a soccer ball.” I frowned.

 

It sure hit you hard. You look like a panda...a red one.”

Her commentary caused me to rub my face. I don’t know why it’s not like my face is going to turn to normal.

 

I try to break the awkwardness I was feeling with conversation.

 

Uh…why are you here?”

 

To sleep.” she said plainly.

 

Why is it that you are always sleeping? Do you not get good rest at home?” I always wanted to know the answer to this. Why does “Dark Sleeping Beauty” always sleep?

 

No, I got good rest at home. It’s just that today is lame…just like many other days. So I decided to sleep them away until something interesting happens.” She simply says like its normal. It does make sense though, if your bored why not sleep.

 

Oh…um..ok” Still I so was not expecting that answer. I thought she would say something like her parents make her do chores all day and she never gets to rest until she’s at school. Ugh…I think those stupid fairy tales are rubbing off on me.

 

I’m going back to sleep now…um..Ji.”

 

It’s Kwon Jiyong.”

 

I’ll just call you Ji.” Then she lies back down.

 

I guess I’ll try to sleep too. I closed the curtain back and laid back onto the white flat bed. I closed my eyes and waited for sleep to come. To my surprise despite my pain I was able to fall asleep.

 

Author's Note

This chapter is basically an introduction to see all the characters and get a feel for Jiyong's world. I enjoy writing in Jiyong's P.O.V. I don't have many stories where I write in a boy's P.O.V. and this is my first story with a nerdy boy. XD I might have regular updates for this story since alot of it is already writtten. I try to make you readers happy but please don't kill me if I miss a week or two. Anyways I hope you like this first chapter.

 

I think Dara looks so cool like this <3 Read. Love. Subscribe.