/1: A Boy is in Love

Beating Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hurrying from his house and hastily shoving his lunch into his backpack, Jongmin dashes towards the bus stop, barely making it in time to leave for school. Though there’s no empty seat for him to take, he’s glad he won’t run late. His dark brown fringe tilts from one side to the other with the vehicle’s movements and the traffic. Chocolate eyes gaze into nothing as his thoughts are taken over by a certain someone.

For the longest time, he can’t get his mind off of her. And it’s a weird sensation as well since they’ve known one another since childhood. What is this feeling called? How do you calm the furious butterflies flying restlessly in your stomach, the lump in your throat, or the redness of your cheeks? How can Jongmin calm down when the simplest thought of her makes him go so immensely insane?

He grabs a random headrest, trying his very best to calm down, though it’s futile as usual. This is so stupid. Why would he fall for her in the first place? Her father is going to kill him for sure and then Jongin and Taemin will start a war over their fallen son.

And it’d be over the silliest reason ever: he died because of his first love. He’d become a laughing stock in no time.

Ugh, I certainly don’t want that to happen to me. Dad will make fun of me for sure if he finds out. The boy notes to himself with a sullen expression, not paying attention to his surroundings at all. This is exactly why someone makes use of the opening and bounces on his back.

“Y-yah!” Jongmin shrieks and tries to pull off the monkey, having a vague feeling just who it could be.

It's not like it doesn’t happen every damn morning, but still. The other boy frantically laughs and takes it as a small victory, having scared the life out of Jongmin, like every morning.

“Hyungjun-ah, stop doing that. You’re embarrassing yourself,” Jongmin retorts with annoyance as he turns around to look at his best friend.

The boy named Hyungjun smiles widely and carelessly shrugs. What people think of him doesn't concern him and besides, if he were to become an embarrassment, so would Jongmin, so it’s fine.

Jongmin rolls his eyes and proceeds to look out of the window once again. Soon, they’ll arrive at school. However, he notices Hyungjun’s narrowed eyes staring at him intently through the glass. Lee Hyungjun is a rather short, but athletic guy. With his looks and sandy hair, as well as outgoing personality, he can befriend people easily, making it fun to be around him. And once you get to know him, like Jongmin does, you’ll realise that he’s a very kind person above all else.

“What?” Jongmin asks as he turns over his shoulder to look at his friend.

Hyungjun never really liked that particular gesture, and it might be because of the difference in their height. He almost feels like Jongmin is mocking him with that height of his.

“You were thinking about something so hard you didn’t even notice me until I jumped on your back,” the sandy-haired guy begins, and the two make place for people to get off the bus at their specific stops.

Jongmin thinks about it for a second. Indeed, he was immersed in his thoughts, but there’s no way he wouldn’t take notice of his surroundings. He’s not that absent-minded.

“Don’t you always jump on my back?” He jokes, setting the matter aside.

Hyungjun rolls his eyes at his friend and then proceeds to stand in front of him, near the doors. Their stop is next.

“Yeah, but it’s like you didn’t even have to pretend not to notice me. What were you thinking about?” But his expression immediately changes to one of a devil’s. “Could it be... you’re starting to feel sorry for all the girls you had to turn down? It’s hard being Park Jongmin and being tailed by so many hormonal high school girls.” Hyungjun mocks his best friend but much to his surprise, Jongmin seems to be spacing out again.

And it’s certainly not like him to do so.

Eventually, the two get off the bus and walk towards their school. On their way, more students from the same school come around, and, as expected, the freshmen and even the sophomores girls started going crazy when seeing Jongmin. Hyungjun takes notice of it all, though he wonders how the hell is Jongmin oblivious to the wave of love sent towards him?

As they enter the yard, the boys notice a certain girl from in front. It’s Hyungjun who screams after her atop of his lungs, making sure the whole camp hears him.

“Miiiiinnnnyyyyoooouuuuunnngggg!”

The girl in question flinches and slowly turns around with an irritated look on her face. Her long and dark hair is tied in two loose tails, and light brown eyes hide immense bags under them.

“Just how big of a moron can you get, dude?” She begins to rant at Hyungjun once the two catch up to her, but the sandy haired one smiles like a retard while taking in every nasty word.

Somehow, Minyoung appears to be the only girl in the entire school not to be affected by the so-called Jongmin-syndrome. Why, it’s truly a mystery. Or maybe it’s due to Hyungjun’s stupidity that she can no longer see a guy for what he is, and sees them all like pigs instead.

“Morning, Minyoung,” Jongmin calls out to her curtly and she replies just the same.

Hyungjun and Minyoung are Jongmin’s closest and best friends, and in all honesty, he doesn’t even need any more. As long as he has them, nothing else matters. He might be popular with girls, but he doesn’t really care about them, even if he does get confessions during every break. His classmates have started making bets every day on how many confessions he’s going to get that day. The highest was twenty-seven.

“Say, what’s up with you?” Minyoung asks him after deciding to ignore Hyungjun and his useless proposals. She doesn’t feel like wasting her nerves from the very morning, so she’d rather use her sharp senses to interrogate Jongmin.

The boy looks at her with a raised brow, feigning ignorance. “What do you mean?” Jongmin then asks, as they change shoes in the lobby.

Minyoung makes a face. “Something’s clearly bot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter