This can't be true.

Destiny Calls

“She what?” a 25 year old girl with light brown shoulder length hair girl stood up in the middle of the hospital ER waiting room, “what do you mean she has cancer?”

“Miss please calm down,” the lady cladded in a nurse outfit responded back, trying her best to calm down the young girl in front of her, “we’re not sure if your mother has cancer yet, the doctor said that there’s a possibility but they’re still running more scans on her.”

The young girl raked a hand through her hair and fell back into the seat, “this can’t be true,” she said in disbelief, “my mother never showed any signs of having cancer…at all.”

“Calm down Taeyeon,” a girl as young as Taeyeon said while rubbing her back, “the nurse hasn’t even confirm that it’s cancer…just yet.”

Taeyeon blew a piece hair strand away from her face and pouted, “but…what if it is cancer Tiffany? I mean…yeah my family is rich and all and we’ll be able to afford my mom to get the best treatment but…it’s cancer,” she exclaimed. Tiffany gave a nod of her head and continued to pat Taeyeon’s back.

“Don’t worry so much about it unnie,” Taeyeon gave no response to Tiffany as the two girl sat there patiently waiting for the doctor to come check on them.

 

--

“Mmmm, hold on just a moment,” a guy with brown hair pushed away a girl as he dug into his pants pocket for his vibrating phone. He pulled it out to check who was calling, “um…give me just a minute ok, let me take this phone call,” he quickly excused himself from the messy haired girl and exited his office room. Before answering his phone, he took in a deep breath, cleared his throat and then slide the bar over, “hey beautiful,” he said cheerfully into the phone.

“Hey you,” the voice answered back, “are you about to get off work right now?”

“Um…,” he gave his wrist watch a quick glance before shoving his hand back into his pants pocket, “I’m sorry beautiful, I got caught up at work because you see my dad has been on my about not finishing up the presentation,” he answered.

“Oh…,” came the upsetting voice over the phone.

“Why? What’s going on beautiful?”

“Oh nothing, I just wanted to let you know that I’m still at the hospital with my mom and well…it doesn’t seem like we’re going home tonight,” she explained.

“Mmm I see,” he mumbled and then rocked back and forth on his heel, “well when I get off work, I’ll head straight to the hospital ok.”

“You sure?”

“I’m positive beautiful,” the door to his office room opened and the same girl from before comes walking out and circled her arms around his waist. He smiled and placed a hand over hers, “trust me, I’ll be there.”

The voice over the phone heaves out a sigh and then gave in, “Alright, call me when you’re on your way ok.”

“Sure.”

“Bye”

“Bye beautiful,” he hung up the phone and spun around to wrap his arms around the girl’s frame, “no patience I see,” he said with a smirk. The girl chuckled and tapped the tip of her nose.

“Taeyeon I’m assuming?” she asked while he rocked her back and forth.

“Yeah,” he replied back, “she can be such a nuisance sometimes,” he heaved out a sigh.

“So why don’t you just break up with her then?” the girl asked.

“Because she’s the key to combining my father’s ty business with her dad’s successful one,” he replied back. The girl in his arm yelped and smacked him on the chest.

“How many times have I told you to not do that?” she said in a playful manner. He chuckled and leaned in, their lips a few centimeters apart only.

“You like it when I do that, don’t lie,” he said before ravishing the girl’s lip. He pushed her up against the wall and slid his right hand up her thigh and into her skirt.

“Park Chanyeol…stay with me until night time please?” she begged and Chanyeol smirked.

“Anything for my goddess,” Chanyeol pushed the girl back into his office and shut the door behind them.

--

“Kim Taeyeon?” the same nurse from before called as she approached Taeyeon and Tiffany once more. Taeyeon’s head shot up once she heard her name.

“Yes?” she asked, standing up immediately.

“The doctor is ready to talk to you,” the nurse said before motioning Taeyeon and Tiffany through the double doors. Taeyeon and Tiffany both followed the nurse to a room where the doctor sat with a bunch of scans behind him. Once the doctor took noticed of the trio, he stood up from his chair and greeted Taeyeon.

“You’re the patient’s daughter correct?” he asked as Taeyeon and Tiffany both took a seat in front of him.

“Yes sir,” Taeyeon replied, “is this about my mother? The cancer?” she asked in a hurry. The doctor took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes tiringly, “please doctor…I need to know.”

“Taeyeon…I would like show you this,” he grabbed a scan of what seemed like a kidney scan and placed it in front of her, “what does this look like to you?” he asked. Taeyeon gave the doctor a look before examining the scan herself.

“A kidney”

“That’s right,” the doctor said and then circle half of the kidney with the back of his pen, “and this…” he began.

“Why does it look like swiss cheese?” Tiffany asked before Taeyeon or the doctor got the chance to say anything.

“That’s the point,” he replied, “Taeyeon, after scanning your mother for a few hours,” he raked his hand through his hair and then took a deep breath, “I can confirm with you that your mother has Kidney cancer.”

Taeyeon’s eyes widen and fell open. Her heart pounded and then stopped and then pounded again. She felt the whole room going around in circles and the walls coming in on her as she tried to get things straight, “b…b…but you guys said…” she stammered, finding it hard and difficult to make sense of anything.

“Wait just a moment,” Tiffany interrupted, “what stage is Mrs. Kim in? She could well be in stage one and still have chemotherapy and…”

“She’s in stage four” the doctor interrupted, “half of her kidney, the reason why it looks like swiss cheese is because half of it is already in stage four,” he explained. Taeyeon fell back into her chair and slowly shook her head in disbelief.

“This can’t be true…this can’t be true…THIS CAN’T BE TRUE!!” Taeyeon screamed and shot up in her chair. She slammed her fist onto the top of the desk, “MY MOTHER CANNOT BE A CANCER PATIENT. SO MANY YEARS OF HER LIFE SHE NEVER SHOWED ANY SIGNS OF HAVING CANCER!”

“Taeyeon stop,” Tiffany got up as well and grabbed her by the arms, “stop yelling.”

Taeyeon took in a deep breath and took off out of the room leaving her best friend in there with the doctor and nurse, “I’m so sorry for her actions,” Tiffany apologizes with a bow.

“It’s fine,” the doctor said and leaned back into his chair, “I’ve seen so many patients reacting this way when hearing of his news, I don’t blame her for having that kind of reaction.” Tiffany gave the doctor a weak smile and gave him a bow before sprinting out of the room to find her best friend.