Chapter 1

Random Rendezvous

‘It  really is something else when dad starts shouting.” Haneul thought with a shiver as she pushes the earbuds of her mp3 player deeper into her ears, keeping the commotion of her grandmother spilling her medicine (for the third time) out of her ears and out of her head.

It’s been a while since summer break started, and it doesn’t please her that more than half of her plans had been cancelled due to her grandmother’s sudden collapse during her last few days as a sophomore.

It’s not like she didn’t want to take care of her grandmother – she loved her grandma to bits, no matter how senile she got – but it was just tiring sometimes, especially during times when she had to be the receiving end of the senior citizen’s short temper and sharp tongue for a whole day without adult supervision.

Remembering how the day went horribly wrong the moment her grandmother got up on the wrong side of the bed, she could only sigh as she massaged her temples.

‘But then again, it’s no mystery where mom and I got out hotheadedness.’  Reckoning that her dad was the one with the longest patience in the family.

And with that thought, tugging one bud out of her ear, and strumming the guitar she’s had in her arms, Haneul concludes how it’s always scary when the nice one gets mad.


“Hyung, let’s not be brash about this shall we?” Sehun says, clinging onto a pillow for dear life. “I – I’m sure we can settle this issue without violence ri – “ he tries to negotiate, feeling the threat as the hyung in question successfully pins him to the ground, rendering him defenseless as he trapped the younger boy’s slim frame between his legs.

“Not this time Sehun, we both know you deserve this.”  He growled and continued to shower a fury of punches on him – all of which were successfully blocked by his pillow, further setting the guy's temper even more than before.

“Just let the guy hit you Hun, I think Chanyeol will stop once he hits you square in the jaw.” Baekhyun suggests, laughing at Sehun’s misfortune from a safe distance.

“You think?! I am scared under here and my face is on the line here, I need something more reassuring that that hyung!”

Baekhyun merely tilts his head upon his youngest roommate’s cry, before popping out the lollipop he’s been on “Hey Yeol, will you stop once you hit him square in the jaw?”

“Probably, depends.”

“What does that mean!?” Sehun shouts, feeling the intensity of punches landed on the pillow gain power.

“It probably means that one punch won’t let you off the hook deconsecrating his Dara poster last night.” Baekhyun assumes with a shrug.

"I was drunk less last night for crying out loud!"

"Meh, I don't really think that counts as a valid reason not to punch you, even in my standards." Baekhyuns argues from the sidelines.

Losing patience with Baekhyun’s lightheartedness to help him out, Sehun takes matter onto his own as he tries to strike a deal with the mad man who had struck him he moment he got out of bed that morning. “Let’s be civilized here hyung, I can replaced your poster> I'm begging you, just please don’t punch me!”Sehuns pleads rather desperately.

But it seems like Chanyeol doesn’t do anything civilized with perpetuators, determined to only speak to the maknae with brute force and blows.

“BAEKHYUN HYUNG!”

“Okay, okay. Chanyeol, Sehun says he’ll let you punch him 20 times if you let him off the hook.”Baekhyun says while making his way to the scene.

It only takes a second for Chnayeol to snap out of his mad man mode to give his bestfriend a frisky smirk “Deal.”

And a milisecond for Sehun to realize he had just been double crossed.

“Whaaa? No deal, no deal! I only said 10 punches!” Sehun bellows from underneath. Unguardedly has his trusty pillow easily plucked out of his grip.

“Shush maknae, a man shouldn’t back out once the deal is sealed.” Baekhyun snickers while throwing the pillow over his shoulder, and grabbing Sehun’s wrists afterwards. “Plus Chanyeol would only settle for twenty punches – in the least.”

“Yeah, Baek should know that the best.”Chanyeol interjects, preparing his wrist for the first punch.