Pandora

Pandora

"And again, another victim was once again found near Gangnam this time."

And the news went on about this particular ghoul again. Everyone whispered their comments and opinions with their companions. I stared at the tv with my jjajjangmyeon already stuck between my chopsticks. "According to the investigators, limbs, the liver and the back muscles known as Latissimus Dorsi was once again were the only parts eaten by this ghoul and the rest of the parts are left untouch. It seems that this ghoul is quite a picky eater."

 

"Another one?" Myungsoo spoke as he took a spoonful of his lunch jjajjangmyeon. I did the same before adding my comment. "I wonder where that new ghoul came from. And why would that ghoul pick such specific parts? Are those parts yummier than the others? So weird."

"Yah, your mouth is full!" He scolded. "Stop talking and swallow your food first. You're gross."

"Nahh, you love me~" I spoke with my mouth full. "And besides, you were way more gross than I am before." He gave me a weird look. 

"Chew your food Do Chanli."

 

 After eating our lunch, Myungsoo volunteered to throw the wastes on our trays and I let him. I can't believe he would grow to be such a gentleman. I can still clearly remember how we became this close five years ago.

 

 He was a new student and I have an empty seat beside me so basically, he became my seatmate. Slowly by slowly, we got to know each other. Our common interests, our likes and dislikes and many more. We knew each other so much that we became this comfortable. Who'd knew will reach five years of friendship? And still counting.

 

 One thing he doesn't know is that, I am having this weird feelings for him. He has grown into a fine a man I would say. I remembered myself few years ago staring at him having this single thought always on my mind, "I'll definitely not like this guy." Well I wouldn't blame my few years ago self though, when we got comfortable with each other he was really weird and uh, how would you call it? Far from gorgeous? His smile was creepy, his hair was dry and thick, his eyebrows were more thicker than his eyes.

 

 And his personality.

 

 Once we became friends, it was only right to become comfortable with each other, but I think he became too comfortable. He picks his nose in front of me, he tells me that he doesn't take a bath too often and more unusual stuff.

 

 Until our third year of friendship, I told him that no girl would ever like him if he keeps on being weird and all. I told him all of his imperfections. 

 

 The next week, I was waiting by my house cause he usually picks me up then we walk together to school. A knock was heard from the door. I'll be assuming it was him. When I opened the door, my expression fell when I saw a what I thought was a stranger by the door. His stares was piercing, especially when he narrowed his eyes at me. "Um, may I help you?" I asked. 

 

 After my question, what I knew that happened next is the stranger bursted out laughing and that's when I realize. I was sure I know who owns that laugh. "Kim Myungsoo?" I almost didn't recognize him as he changed the way he looks. His hair, flat and shiny. His face was near to fair, his pimples were gone. 

 

 I thought that he'll only change his looks, but he did change his personality. He was not the noisy one before, or the gross one, or the weird one. 

 

 He was different.

 

 Coping up with his new self sure wasn't that easy but yeah I was able to. But also coping up with this weird feelings I am having for him, I don't know.

 

 Right now, we're both heading home. It was already a routine for him to walk me home. "Remember our environment is also inhabited by ghouls so it is only right for me to make sure your safe." He would always say. And how about him? Is he even safe going home alone?

 

"A penny for your thoughts?" He spoke. I looked at him and shook my head.

"I'm just thinking about the homework and projects I'm about to do later. There's a lot." I excused. He just nodded.

 

 After how many minutes, we reached my house. "Well see you tomorrow Myungsoo." I said.

"Yeah, see you tomorrow." He replied. "And, don't stay out when it's dark."

"I know, I know." I rolled my eyes at him.

"Well, goodbye then." He made a little wave at me before walking away.

 

 Before he can totally disappear from my sight, my body has to act on it's own and do things that I'm not supposed to do. "Y-yah Kim Myungsoo!" I called. He stopped abruptly and turned to look at me, suddenly becoming alert. "C-call me when you get home okay?" I reminded. My face is heating up. Realized what I said, he chuckled and nodded. "I will!"

 

 He then waved again and walked away.

 

 I entered my house with a sigh. I was stuttering in front of my best friend. Do I like him that much? Do I like him that much that I have to know he safely went home? I mean I want him to be safe always even before but now, I am over reacting.

 

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

 

 This is the hundredth time I had called Myungsoo and he's still not answering. He didn't call me last night. I told him to call me when he gets home but instead, I was the one calling and he's not even answering.

 

 I finished getting ready, ate my breakfast and now am waiting for him here outside my house. He usually comes during breakfast time and he would eat with us sometimes but today he is really late.

 

 Since I was waiting for him, it was only twenty minutes left before school. I decided to go by myself and not to go paranoid. Maybe he just woke up late. I should stop being too worried. Oh silly me, I'll probably meet him at school.

 

 I reached school soon five minutes before classes starts. My eyes immediately glued themselves on Myungsoo's seat as I entered. His seat is empty. No bags or whatsoever.

 

 Maybe he's gonna be late.

 

"Minkyung-ah, have you seen Myungsoo?" I asked my seatmate was I settled on my place. She shrugged. "He's not yet around though." She answered. "Which is weird, you too are always together, both ariving and leaving school. Aren't you supposed to know?"

"He didn't pick up me up today." I replied. "And he's not answering my calls."

"Oh, then maybe he's sick? Ore he's really running late." Minkyung said. "But if I'm ever right, it's rare of Myungsoo to be absent, or just late. He never slept during classes. There were no signs of being tired or sick too."

 

 Minkyung's right. Never did Myungsoo show that he's tired or sleepy. He even never got sick. Ever since he entered this school, he always have perfect attendances every school year.

 

 This is only making me more worried than normal.

 

"Relax Chanli, you seem too worried." Minkyung chuckled. "You're bestfriend's fine. There might be some emergencies. I'm sure he's okay. It's Myungsoo." She said. I nodded at her in agreement and decided to calm my nerves. "You know what's the best you can do? Bring him something to eat after school to see how he is." She suggested. "Yeah," I smiled and nodded happily. "Maybe I'll do that."

 

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

 

After the long wait, it was finally dismissal time. Today, school took longer than usual, maybe because I was impatiently waiting for it to be over. The more I wait, the longer it takes.

 

I immediately packed my stuff and dashed out of the classroom with one thought in mind. I have to see Myungsoo and I have to see him safe.

 

I went to the small dine-in me and Myungsoo used to go to buy Jjajjangmyeon for him since this was the only food we eat here.

 

"Again, two new victims of this ghoul has been found and same parts have been taken from them again. Limbs, liver and the Latissimus Dorsi. After how many incidents, the CCG decided to call this ghoul-"

 

"Here's your order miss." The girl by the counter handed me the ready-made Jjajjangmyeon, properly packed and still hot. "Wah gamsahamnida!" I thanked. I grabbed my wallet from my bag to pay for the food. "It's kinda weird but, you're not with your boyfriend today." She said. I quickly shook my head and politely corrected her. "Ah, he's not my boyfriend, he's my best friend." I told her. "Ohh" she nodded. "But you two look good together though."

"Oh, jinjja?" I just chuckled. We look together. "I'll be going then, gamsahamnida!"

 

As I left the shop, I fetched my phone from my pocket and tried to dial Myungsoo's number again. 

 

"Annyeong, this is Myungsoo. Busy at the moment! Leave your message and I'll surely get to you if I'm done."

 

Still no answer.

 

I sighed and placed my phone back to my pocket. "Are you okay Myungsoo?"

 

After how many minutes of walking, his house was at sight. I was about to jog towards his house when I was suddenly pulled to a dark alley.

 

Oh .

 

I was pushed to a wall. My back ached a bit after it hit the strong impact of the concrete wall. "Ah appa..." I whispered but my lips was sealed by a finger. "Shh..." it shushed. Now I am getting frightened. This better be not what I think it is. "Why are you shaking? Relax~" an unfamiliar husky voice whispered. "I'm not a picky eater don't worry." It added. It's a ghoul. It's a ing ghoul. "Now close your eyes, this won't hurt."

 

I believe the ghoul was about to start eating me but he was suddenly pushed off by someone. "Back off!" I hear my savior say. The voice, I know this voice. Tears rolled down my cheeks. I am saved.

 

"Who are-" before the ghoul could continue what he was about to say, he stopped when he saw the one who pushed him. "Eh-e-L?"

"I said back off!" I hear him say once more. Without anything else to say, the ghoul ran away.

 

It suddenly got me wondering, why would a ghoul be afraid to Myung-

 

"She's mine."