XIV

Oasis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Oasis

 

Do you think I'm special, do you think I'm nice
Am I bright enough to shine in your spaces
Between the noise you hear and the sound you like
Are we just sinking in the ocean of faces

 

The walls are almost devoid of expression, befitting of its most regular owner. Youngjae rakes his eyes over the plain wallpaper to the neatly-made bed, not a strand of hair present on the mattress or the floor. It is nothing surprising for a family like the Jungs who have servants at their beck and call, though the immaculateness is a bit eerie.

Daehyun’s bedroom is large, boasting an extra space where a small side table and two cushioned chair sits, like a conjoined drawing room. A wide-screen television is fixated to the wall and a large door, presumable to a walk-in closet, graces the left side of the room.

The window overlooks a lovely view of urban cityscape and vast nature, or more specifically, the extravagantly wealthy. The massive skyscrapers and busy lights are juxtaposed against the smaller yet impressive landed properties, each grandly boasting half a golf course’s worth of land.

Would someone ever get sick of such a place? As a child, Youngjae used to think he would never, being bitterly envious of those who lived in places he only saw in magainzes. He hated how small his apartment was and wished he could live in a magnificent mansion, much like Daehyun’s one, in fact. No one would ever get sick of a place so big.

Judging from the files on the shelves, it seems like the room hasn’t been used in a long time. They are labelled under business module codes with the sleeves proudly showcasing Daehyun’s university, unsurprisingly a renowned overseas school.

Daehyun’s desk seems to say the contrary, however. Despite everything in the room being spick and span, the table has books scattered over it. Youngjae heaves, debating on whether to go nearer. It should be none of his business what Daehyun does but he left briefcase downstairs, thus he has nothing to occupy himself with.

Youngjae had been worrying over it for a while but conceded that even if Daehyun’s brother finds the briefcase, he would probably assume it belonged to Daehyun’s Alpha surbodinate from the documents. The way Daehyun reacted to his brother coming home is intriguing. He must not be too close to them, or he’s much too afraid to break his father’s vile rule of keeping all other Omegas out of the house.

Letting out a sigh, Youngjae rises and steps towards Daehyun’s desk. He has no other way to pass the time, anyway.

Youngjae glances down at the stacks of books, reading the title of the one on top. Anxiolytics Sedatives and Hypnotics. Several others below have chemical names along their spines with the recurring topic of medicine for mental unwellness and overcoming phobias. Beside them are some sheets of handwritten notes detailing different therapy techniques. Though Daehyun’s attitude towards his fiancée is repulsive, Youngjae admits he is quite filial towards his mother.

His handwriting is exquisite too, expected from a son of nobility. Youngjae scrunches up his nose at the ash tray in the corner, the charred scent revealing the recency of the crushed cigarettes.

The paperback on the bedside table is different, with a bookmark slotted in between. Youngjae furrows his brows at the book’s title. The Gentleman’s Conversations: An Alpha’s Guide to Chatting with Omegas.

It is laughable. Daehyun, CEO of an international corporation, fills his spare time up with reading these sort of demeaning self-help books. He should leave Daehyun a tip that respecting his own fiancée is an act of common decency that will help him go far.

It still bothers Youngjae that Daehyun had actually slept with him when he was already engaged, throwing some lofty excuse that he was not officially attached. Daehyun was always using him right from the start. Sure, he may have needed Youngjae to help out with his mother, but the between them were all out of gross intentions. He exploited Youngjae and cheated on his own fiancée while covering up like he was helping out Youngjae for some selfless cause.

To think he was actually stupid enough to believe an Alpha at least had the humanity not to be a piece of garbage. Youngjae had reminded himself not to be foolish but he fell into the trap of giving the benefit of the doubt. He’s right; all of them are the same.

He takes several deep breathes to calm down, chiding himself for getting worked up. He knew Daehyun would be this sort of person. Minki was the one who was misled and kept persuading Youngjae to think otherwise.

Youngjae was a fool to think Daehyun would be different.

Insistently shoving the thoughts out of his mind, Youngjae paces back to the bookshelf, gazing around absentmindedly. He skims over the numerous textbooks, some famous novels in the lower rungs. At the very bottom level lies several classic storybooks.

While Youngjae read as much as he could, he did not have the luxury of indulging in fiction novels. The books he stole from the other children were always textbooks he could not afford. The only stories he knew were those he heard from his mother. For an uneducated Omega, his mother knew many storybooks beyond the folk tales, all passed down viva voce.

Youngjae crouches and steals a glance behind him out of precaution. He carefully thumbs out the yellowing paperback against the corner of the shelf, gently dusting the cover. On it, golden letters spelling The Happy Prince and other stories are written.

Behind the cover, a message is scrawled neatly, congratulating Daehyun on his 7th birthday. Happy birthday, Daehyun. I know this is not much but I hope you enjoy it. Grow up and become the great man you are meant to be.

Signed off is an unknown name, presumably belonging to a family friend. Hankyung.

Youngjae furrows his brows, a tinge of familiarity ringing in his head. He doesn’t register the name but he seems to have heard it once or twice before. Shrugging it off, Youngjae plops onto the floor with his legs crossed and heaves softly, turning the page.

 

--

 

Clad in a cropped fur jacket and a pair of tight skinny jeans, the man standing at the doorway is none other than Kim Kibum, the youngest, illegitimate son of the Jung family. He draws a drastic contrast with his older brother, Himchan. Provocative and foxy, his escapades often lead to a theatrical mess he conveniently tries to dump upon the Jung family.

Particularly, it becomes Jung Daehyun’s responsibility to take care of Kibum’s troubles. Daehyun's sense of morality is often his very own undoing as compared to his older brother, Yonghwa, who cannot be bothered about the extended family behind the scenes. Byunghee may help sometimes as the eldest of the entire family, sending money over or exerting his title in order to clear any unwanted business others may have with the family, but he mostly stays away from the commotion Kibum often stirs.

Extortion, cheating, stealing--the ugly names are penned into Kibum's bones like a second skin, no remorse in his actions. He strings along an Alpha for a few weeks before moving on to the next, indulging in the little adventure they can offer while ravishing the rough and intoxicating smell of money. Despite being a part of the Jung family—though removed—Kibum unfortunately does not enjoy any of the privileges or luxuries his Alpha brothers have. It is perhaps a valid justification for his loose lifestyle, out of a bitter envy and an unfairness he can never change.

Daehyun holds the door half open with a hand, anxiousness coiled into his fingers. Despite Himchan's blatant hatred for the Jung side, Daehyun finds Himchan’s antagnoistic self much less unnerving than Kibum’s presence. His youngest Omega brother is undoubtedly cunning, shrouding his calculating thoughts beneath his favourite facade of flamboyancy and airheadedness.

"Kibum," Daehyun greets. His mind immediately wanders to the Omega upstairs.

"Daehyun," Kibum coyly returns with an amused smile. He a brow at Daehyun's hand propped up against the mahagony door, framing just enough space for the Alpha.

"Are you going to continue standing there or will you let me in?" He chuckles, sugary sweetness embroiled with a subtle condescension.

Daehyun nudges open the door and hopes his reluctance hides well underneath his stoicism. "Why are you here?"

"I want to visit my mother, duh. I miss him." Kibum slips off his coat and Daehyun takes it, draping it over a chair. The Omega's hooded eyes sweep over the living room with an ounce of suspicion and he flickers his entertained gaze back to Daehyun.

"Why the question? Aren’t you happy to see me?" Kibum's fingers dance over Daehyun's shoulder, playing a soft piano tune over the thick flesh. It has barely been minutes but Daehyun’s one slip-up is already in his interest.

Kibum flashes an exaggerated pout, curious eyes once more raking over his enviornment like an eager child at Hide and Seek. He retracts his fingers and surrenders for now, fixating his attention on his Alpha brother.

"It hurts that you'd turn away such a pretty face, to even block the door." Kibum clicks his tongue, his polished nails scraping just slightly over Daehyun's neck. He pulls away his long fingers with the smoothness of satin sheets, gloss vividly alike against his dewy skin.

Countless Alphas of all statuses are drawn to an Omega like Kibum. He is akin to a challenge with his pickiness, his high-maintainence quality only serving to boost the Alpha's ego if he manages to claim him.

"I wasn't," Daehyun sighs. Kibum his lips and his smile droops just a little.

“Is it because of last time?”

Daehyun doesn’t respond. Kibum scowls.

“You overreact too much, Daehyun. I just gave Mother a few light hits to keep him awake.” Kibum rolls his eyes, demeaningly regarding the tall Alpha. "You can be such a drama king, Daehyun. I didn't get to spend much time with our Mommy either but you don't see me treating him like fine china, do you?"

"There was a bruise where you hit Mother,” Daehyun states with rancour weaved into his syllables.

"But he still loves me all the same, while you..." Kibum clicks his tongue and feigns a sympathetic expression, brushing Daehyun's cheek. "You can't even let him see you else he'll try to kill you, hm? I can't imagine how sad that must be."

Kibum's habit between his wretched strawberry cigarettes and three o'clock beauty appointments is his determination to make others feel terrible, digging at sore spots with no qualms and merrily rehashing past grievances. Byunghee once likened Kibum to chaos because of that.

"I'm joking, Daehyunie. And I already said I was sorry. I guess I just didn't know my strength," Kibum chimes in his usual squeaky voice, tugging Daehyun to sit with him. "You are such a sweet man, being so filial to your mother.”

Kibum's hands teasingly draw a fouetté into Daehyun's wrist and he whispers, "Since we’re alone, shall we have a little fun?”

Daehyun regards Kibum with utter apathy, worries pieced into a petite Omega standing above him in a separate room. Kibum is much like Yonghwa despite Daehyun's older brother only exercising the utmost disdain for the illegitimate Omega child. He believes Kibum and Himchan to be nothing but parasites to the blodline, tainting the reputation of the Jungs. Ironically, the resemblance between Kibum and Yonghwa is uncanny—they are manipulative and remorseless, willing to step over family and friends as a means of seizing what they desire.

"If you want to see Mother, he is asleep," Daehyun returns. His disapproving eyes remain latched upon the small Omega. "You got into a lot of trouble last month. I kept it from Father and Mother."

Kibum scoffs, shaking his head. "You are so ridiculous, Daehyun. Why would I bother if that old geezer hears about what I do? You really don't think that the reason I chose that brat Jonghyun was because my dear Daddy is doing some business with his father?"

"Daehyun... I can't believe you expect me to care about my oh-so-sweet Daddy's character." Kibum raises his patronising stare. "Why would I protect this..." Kibum pauses for theatrical effect, gesturing as he figures a befitting word, "prestige of the Jungs that I'm not even a part of?"

"That’s not what I mean. If Father finds out about it, it'll be hard for you and Mother." Daehyun bats his lashes slowly and heaves, "You should settle down, Kibum. Mother’s worried for you. The Alphas you play around with are powerful."

Kibum's scrawny smile stitches back into his face and his eyes billow with a suggestive murkiness. "You know, Daehyun, you wouldn't have to deal with all this trouble if you'd be my mate."

"I'm your brother," Daehyun intones impassively.

"And you are the only person who cares for me in this wretched family," Kibum sighs, tying his fingers behind Daehyun's neck. He inches towards Daehyun, eyes darting to the man's pillowy lips. Their noses brush and Daehyun holds Kibum back with one arm, indifference carved into his irises.

"Come on, Daehyun. Don't tell me you haven't thought even a little naughtily of me?" Kibum whispers, fingers sensually delving into the nape of Daehyun's neck. "You don't have to be shy."

"It’s not like we’re mother and son. Besides, I think you might get off to the tabooness of it." The Omega churns out a foxy smile, drawing shapes into Daehyun's skin. "Someone like you who's so prim and proper... You must have secrets somewhere."

With an unbreakable aloofness scratched into his countenance, Daehyun easily removes Kibum's hand, using just enough force to make his point without hurting his brother. "Stop, Kibum. You do this everytime we meet."

"Because you're such a good catch, Daehyun. Just go to bed with me once. I'll show you a good time." Kibum simmers into a sly grin and hums mischievously, "That mate of yours, Byun Baekhyun—you've never even had with him before, hm? He hasn't even come of age yet. He's such a prude, acting like an adult when he's nothing but a child. Even his body says that."

"You have no right to talk about Baekhyun that way," Daehyun states bluntly. He checks his watch and his greyish eyes fall upon his brother once more. "Mother is sleeping. You can visit another time."

"'Right'? I don't really like what you’re hinting, Brother," Kibum's words coil with a particularly sour sweetness, a contradictory smile clinging to his lips.

"You know, I'm starting to think you're an Almaga." Kibum grins wider and toys with the woollen fabric of Daehyun's shirt. He feigns a shocked look with a hand to his lips. "Could you be one of those Alphas that want nothing more to be another Alpha's ? Must be why you keep rejecting me."

Daehyun does not spare Kibum another glance, turning his head towards the kitchen. "I'll make you something to drink. You can wait for Mother if you'd like to." He paces towards the coffee machine and grabs a mug.

"Decaffeinated, please." Kibum heaves, exaggerated fatigue stretched into his loud exhale. He plops himself onto the couch and absentmindedly observes his polished nails, blood red drawn into his nail beds with scanty black tips.

"Oh yes, Daehyunie?"

Daehyun turns back to meet his younger brother's shrewd eyes, hot chocolate gurling into the darthmouth green mug.

"Where are the servants?" Kibum tilts his head one side, a finger to his lips like a child curious about the colour of the sky.

Daehyun does not deviate his gaze. "I had them leave as Mother had an episode."

Satiated with the answer for now, Kibum cracks his head back to face the television, picking up the remote. He lazily flicks through the channels and mentions, "You don't need to make all of them leave, you know. Just you."

The last drop of brown fills the mug. Daehyun hands it to Kibum and settles by his brother's side. He remembers Kibum to have been somewhat of a nicer person when they were much younger, the three-year-old Omega regarding him with a radiant, intrigued countenance. He had hid behind his mother as his luminiscent eyes raked over Daehyun, the brothers meeting for the first time.

Daehyun was the first to meet Himchan and Kibum out of his Alpha brothers, Heechul discreetly bringing the boy to the separate home in the surburbs where Himchan and Kibum lived. Yunho forbid Heechul's Omega children to meet his own Alpha children, but Heechul had faith in his youngest child for some reason--enough to risk breaking his husband's rule. Perhaps it was because Daehyun was the one child particularly distant from his father, receiving mere nods while his older brothers were granted pats on the head.

The isolated house was considerably more modest than the Jung's main residence but the average family unit could still not hold a candle to the house. Profuse greenery flushed the landed property from all corners, almost as if alienating the two Omega children from the urban city kilometres away.

In some families, Omega children are frowned upon as worthless as compared to Alpha children. They do not contribute to the ancestral line nor do they hold any capabilities of supporting the family, confined to low-paying jobs. They are destined to marry out of the family, much like giving away a profuse investment. This prejudicial mindset is particularly prevalent amongst the poor and the older generation who cling to weary traditions.

However, this was not the only reason Yunho eradicated all relations with his Omega children on paper. After the birth of the lifeless infant Eunji--one that had reproductive organs much like that of the extinct female--Heechul was roped into a government-funded trial that researched into restoring the defunct female species. Ever so now and then such miracles (or mishaps as most commoners term) happen where Omegas would have a child unlike any of the three ranks. Usually, these offsprings would rarely be carried to term, the fetuses dying before 20 weeks. In majority of the cases, doctors find out about these special children via ultrasound and inform the government out of obligation.

In Heechul's case, Eunji likely died in the womb but their personal doctor kept things under wraps. The news of Eunji's stillbirth was somehow still relayed to the authorities, however, and Heechul and Yunho were drafted into the trials. The time and effort Alphas and Omegas are required to invest into the experiments is drastically different. While Alphas need only donate their , Omegas are mandated to visit the research centre every week or so, exploited as guinea pigs.

These Omegas are subsequently exhorted into carrying children for the sake of furthering progress. Coerced into give up their bodies to fulfill their patroitic duty as citizens, the unfortunate Omegas endure invasive studies and ingest certain kinds of drugs without a chance to protest. The purportedly redeeming factor the trial offers is that Omegas are experimented on using their mate's , which means the sanctity of their marriage is kindly "protected" by the government.

The estranged haven along the outskirts of town was constructed specifically by Yunho to house Heechul's offsprings from the government study. Himchan and Kibum are none other than those failed outcomes, children born from trial and error to see if Heechul could produce the same female infant from his womb.

There’s no doubt Yunho could have interefered with the couple's conscription into the trials. With the affluence and stature as the head of the Jung family then, even the government could not press Yunho or his wife into such tedious, invasive experiments. Only the poor couples who had no such privilege were unable to fight against this mandatory drafting.

Daehyun has questioned why before, only to draw a bitter smile onto Heechul’s lips. Even as a child then, he dared not ask further else the poignancy in his mother’s eyes shattered into a fragility he could not protect.

It is cruel that Yunho adamantly refuses to see the Omega children as family, despite them being his biological sons. At the very least, he gives them monetary support, allowing the Omegas to live a life of ample comfort.

The channels flicker past, snippets of interrupted voices and colourful glare disappating with every press of the button. The carelessness etched into Kibum's repetitive ministrations reflect how deep he is in his thoughts—quite concerning for anyone in his company who has secrets to keep.

Daehyun wears his composure as closely as he can, scratching away glimpses of the Omega upstairs. He had planned to send Youngjae home right after the Omega was done talking to his mother.

Daehyun’s back was pressed to the door as usual as the two Omegas spoke, guiltily eavesdropping on another conversation of theirs. He was slightly surprised Youngjae protected his privacy and did not divulge to Heechul how Daehyun had solicited him to help.

Against his better judgement, Daehyun lingered for another few moments to hear a bit more. He usually leaves in a minute or so, ensuring that the two are getting along fine and his mother does not snap into an episode and hurts Youngjae. However, as the conversation simmered into some small talk that Daehyun could never enjoy with either Omegas, Daehyun's innate curiosity about Youngjae itched beneath his fingers.

Perhaps it was the feel of skin-like latex underneath his fingernails. Maybe it was the way Youngjae's eyes burnt with such vicious tears yet his frigid expression did not falter. While he gingerly held Youngjae against his chest, a trickle of hesitance bit into his touch at that instant. He was never one to connect well with others, but it seemed Youngjae appreciated the silence he lent.

As the Omega finally leaned out of Daehyun's embrace with averted eyes, Daehyun gazed at the bare-faced Omega with an admiration he could not pen down. He held Youngjae in high esteem for many things—his dedication to his work, his sheer tenacity and razor-sharp astuteness, his warm skill to bond with his mother despite them being strangers. However, seeing the Omega so fatigued with tears seared into his cheeks, Daehyun uncovered a tough depth to each merit he admired.

It must be tiring to wear another face every day just to live.

So, Daehyun carefully stood by Heechul's bedroom door like a bystander engrossed in a wandering butterfly. He learnt Youngjae had no intentions of bearing children, nothing too out of the blue considering his current circumstances. Daehyun had the mindlessness to think it was a shame before vehemently catching himself. It was true to a certain extent, though—Youngjae's children would be very fortunate to have someone brave and intelligent as their mother.

"I don't remember you doing this whenever you visited Mother." Kibum lets out a small puff, his eyes never deviating from the television screen. "Getting rid of all the servants must be such a hassle."

"I started doing it a few months ago to ease Mother's anxiety. The Alpha servants unnerve him," Daehyun remarks. He sinks into the couch and exhaustedly bats his lashes. "You don't know as you don't visit often."

"It must be funny. I'm imagining you like in those cartoons, rushing to return the house to how it is before Daddy comes ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter