Candytuft- Indifference

Buried in His Own Flowerbed

Give Junhong a moment to explain the difference between a Monday morning and a Saturday evening.

 

The brown haired boy's alarm goes off in the morning, and no it is not a surprise that it malfunctions and rings an hour early. He sits up for a moment, his bones aching from the cheap bed he is unfortunately stuck with. He checks the time and it's still not a surprise that he is awake even before the birds that chirp outside his window. The teen doesn't care much though because no matter whether it's an hour early or an hour late he will still be unbelieveable tired. Junhong stretches and his old pajamas scratch against his white unblemished skin. A sigh escapes his mouth, it's a Monday.

He checks his tiny phone for messages but there is nothing to be seen, he checks his emails and still nothing. 

"Ugh..." The young florist rolls off of his bed and heads to the bathroom to get ready for the day. 

It takes him 20 minutes in the bathroom. He washes his face, brushes his teeth and combs his hair. He tries to make himself presentable but he doesn't really know how. He doesn't do anything with his face, even though Jongup has tried to teach him subtle eyeliner methods. He thinks his messy brown locks look fine but Jongup always says he has hair, so what does he really look like? Junhong shrugs at everything and just heads over to his closet where he puts in a little more effort. Junhong has always had an interest in fashion but he doesn't think he could have made anything of that interest of his. He daydreams about being a model and then dreams a little more about being a designer but that's as far as that goes. He checks the weather and then chooses his outfit very carefully. He takes a few seconds to smell his clothing and he notices it. That flower smell again. He groans and then he opts just for a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, frowning because he never gets a chance to wear his good clothing in fear of ruining them. Junhong makes himself a cup of tea, noticing that Jongup has just bought an extra box of Earl Grey. The young, tired florist smiles and makes a mental note to himself to thank his kind roommate later.

"I'm leaving, Jongup!" Junhong calls out and then realizes that Jongup won't be back until later in the evening. He cringes at the stupid mistake even though nobody heard it, he grabs his bag, his keys, his phone and walks out of the door, remembering that yes, he is still an hour early.

...

 

Today Junhong encounters an old lady who had never visited the shop before. She was so enamored by him that she stayed and talked to the teen for 30 minutes after her purchase. She pinched his cheeks and called him cute, making the bashful florist blush shades of pink and red. He had a handful of embarrassing moments at the shop but this one made him cringe. Not only because of her creepy comments but because she brought her granddaughter into the shop and forced them both to exchange numbers. The younger girl looked completely mortified at what her grandmother was doing. 

"Yes, my granddaughter is almost 13, how old are you, young man?" Junhong wanted to cry and the young girl had a matching expression when Junhong told them his age. The grandmother laughed and reassured them that s weren't uncommon and that she got married at 16 and even had a baby. By that time Junhong was completely over Mondays and he just laughed out of the sheer ridiculousness of it all. Youngjae peeked his head out from the back room, just wanting to see who the creep hitting on Junhong was gonna be this time. He laughed out loud when he seen the grandma with her hand attached to Junhong's face, pinching the life out of his cheek. Junhong politely handled the situation of course, and before he knew it they were out of the shop and on their way. Junhong rubbed his cheek and scolded Youngjae who refused to save him.

"Hm, I thought it was gonna be those teenage girls from last week." Youngjae said and Junhong sighed at the memory of the girls who were fighting over his attention. "I thought they were gonna buy the whole store if it meant that you would pay attention to them." Youngjae giggled and the florist waved him off.

"Go clean something." Junhong mumbled and then sat down in his seat, picking up his book to start where he had left off. Youngjae laughed all the way back into the other room, Junhong groaned, rubbing his face.

"You are pretty cute though Junhong, just saying." Youngjae quickly peeked into the room before running off again. Junhong rolled his eyes and continued to read, letting the day drag on until lunch when he would steal Youngjae's food (because he always had good food to eat.)

 

...

 

Saturday evenings were different, Junhong waited all day for a call from his boss but nothing came. Junhong realized that he wouldn't have work until Monday and he thought of all the things he could do. He was just starting to get into another book when Jongup burst through the door, running up to him with bags full of groceries in his hands.

"Oh. You're back from the store, you were so quiet about it I couldn't tell." Junhong rolled his eyes and Jongup hugged Junhong tightly.

"Okay, you're not gonna believe this." Jongup closed his eyes, waiting for his friend to ask him what it was that he couldn't believe.

"What."

"I...I....I'm bringing you out to dinner tonight!" Jongup threw his hands up in excitement. There was a few seconds of silence.

"First of all, I'm not about to go on a date with you. Second, bringing me out to dinner doesn't mean going to get burgers at Mcdonald's." Junhong deadpanned and Jongup punched him lightly in the arm.

"It woud be your honor to go on a date with me. And come on man, it's a really nice place and I don't have anyone to go with but you." Jongup grinned playfully at his best friend and soon enough, Junhong gave in. If only because he was dying to wear an outfit that didn't smell like flowers.

...

 

"Here we are." Jongup pulled up into a parking lot, right outside of a two story building with floor to ceiling windows. The restaurant was lit up, and the evening sky contrasted greatly against the building. Junhong gasped when he could see crystal chandeliers lining the inside, and all the people dressed to the nines.

"Are you sure, you can afford this?" The young teen asked quietly, suddenly feeling guilty. Jongup looked over to his friend and he immediately sensed his awkward regret.

"Don't worry about it, seriously Junhong. I can afford it." Jongup grinned comfortingly and then got out of the car, Junhong following him. They were both dressed equally as nice as the people inside, so he didn't feel intimidated by that aspect. Jongup took care of everything as soon as they stepped foot inside and before Junhong knew it, they were seated in a nice, quiet area of the restaurant.

"I requested a quiet place, I knew you'd feel better if it was." Jongup mentioned and Junhong smiled in gratitude. "I'm gonna order for you though, since I know how you are." Jongup said and his best friend laughed at that. Jongup knew Junhong would have picked the least expensive thing on the menu.

Junhong waited for a bit while Jongup handled everything yet again, he glanced around at all the people until his eyes landed on a vaguely familiar face. He didn't want to get caught staring but he couldn't look away. The man was with his wife or girlfriend talking very quietly, one of their hands was reaching across the table, laid perfectly atop one another. It felt oddly intimate but Junhong couldn't look away. Their table was to the right of theirs, close to where Junhong and Jongup were. The man looked different, he didn't look worn out or tired like he did before and the way he was dressed now completely accentuated everything by ten times. He was the same man with the dark blue button down shirt, the same man who came into the shop to get his cute little son. The man suddenly looked Junhong's way, his eyes locked with the teen's and his expression turned surprised for a moment before realization suddenly hit him, recognizing the florist from the flower shop. He smiled softly at the teen in acknowledgement before turning back to his wife/girlfriend, who had also glanced his way. Junhong looked back at Jongup, finding the whole situation to be completely awkward. Jongup, of course seen the whole thing and he tilted his head to the side in confusion. Junhong's face heated up and he laughed a little to diffuse the situation.

"Catch your boyfriend out with a woman?" He asked teasingly and Junhong kicked him under the table. "Ouch!" he exclaimed and rubbed his shin, a few people glanced over at them and Junhong smiled awkwardly at the curious people. "Geez, I was kidding, ow...were you a soccer player in your past lifetime?" He groaned and continued to rub his aching leg.

"Sorry," Junhong whispered, smirking. They talked for a few minutes, Junhong briefly explained what the whole situation was about and then they began talking about Jongup's professors and classes. The night continued on, Junhong complained quietly about the ridiculous price of the food while secretly stealing glances at the couple's table that was near theirs. Jongup noticed but he didn't comment on it, as they were almost finishing their food they both heard a loud cough coming from the table that was to the left of them.

"You're both disgusting." An older man called out angrily and both Junhong and Jongup looked over at the table next to them in disbelief. There was an old man glaring at the two friends eating at the table. The man's wife reached out and tried to stop her husband. "How can I eat next to a couple of faggots, I'm sure everyone else in this room agrees with me, ing trash!" He yelled and everyone looked over at the two tables. "People like you should burn in hell." Junhong's face burned in embarrassment and his eyes started to tear up, he glanced at Jongup whose eyes were narrowed. Jongup was just beginning to stand up to defend them against the harsh words of the man when they heard a voice coming from their right.

"They're paying for this overpriced meal just like the rest of us. The only one who is losing their appetite is me and it's because of what you're saying to them." Junhong looked over to see the man from the flower shop. He was still holding his wife's hand while he talked calmly to the disrespectful man. "If you're so uncomfortable then do the rest of us a favor and leave." He said, and by now, Junhong's tears had already spilled over. The older man was about to fight back with his words when his wife got up, apologized to the two and dragged her husband out of the restaurant while a few of the waiters made sure he didn't disturb anyone else. Jongup thanked the man who stood up for them and Junhong was feeling thankful too but he was embarrassed. He told Jongup he was going to wait outside and he got up and left in a hurry. The air was surprisingly cold and the teen felt even more miserable than before. 

Junhong was only waiting outside for a few minutes before Jongup showed up with a sad expression on his face. Junhong's tears had dried up but his heart was still deep inside his chest. Jongup sighed and hugged Junhong tightly.

"I'm so sorry I let him say that." He whispered and Junhong shook his head sadly. "And I'm sorry that this night turned to ." Jongup continued and Junhong just smiled a little.

"No, it was nice. It was just that old er who ruined it...." Junhong rubbed his face, the embarrassment slowly washing away.

"Actually, we got the meal for free, so...." Jongup grinned and Junhong just smiled back. His roommate slung an arm around his shoulders and ruffled his brown hair.

"God...people can be so ed up." Junhong mumbled.

"Next time, I'll punch him in the face. Maybe he'll look less unfortunate with a purple eye?" Jongup joked as they began to walk to the car. Junhong laughed softly, glad that he had his best friend to cheer him up.

"And that guy was nice to stand up for us...." Junhong mentioned.

"Yeah but he could have waited until after I hit the dude." Jongup said and Junhong rolled his eyes but he silently agreed with him. 

 

 

<><><>

please excuse any typos