Hydrangea- Perseverance

Buried in His Own Flowerbed

 

Junhong's phone sat on the coffee table next to a pile of Jongup's unfinished assignments. His roommate's voice traveled all the way across the room into the teen's ears, the speaker phone had come in quite handy. Jongup ranted on and on about how his mother was still angry at him even with the added apology chocolates. Junhong sat cross-legged on the small couch in the corner of the room with an old book in his hands. He squinted at the old, faded papers and realized that he may need glasses. 

"I think I need glasses Jongup." He pouted and already began to calculate what the cost would be. Jongup scoffed over the phone and Junhong rubbed at his tired eyes.

"You think? You've been misreading homework assignments on the teacher's board since I met you. I'm pretty sure you need them." Jongup seemed to be moving around his mother's house, he could hear her voice in the background. Junhong sighed and squinted his eyes to see if it would help- it did. Well it's not like he couldn't see... 

"Whatever, anyways- I'm gonna go now. Talk to you later." Junhong said and then reached over to the short coffee table to end the call. Jongup said goodbye and his voice was cut off. Junhong sat there for a few moments in silence before he decided to put his old book back in the bookcase very carefully. He was extremely fond of the book and he didn't want it to be ruined. Right as he sat back down on the little couch, his ringtone suddenly startled him and he groaned in frustration- he recognized the caller right away.

"Yes?" He answered the phone call and tried his hardest not to let his annoyance seep into his calm voice. He was used to his boss calling him on weekends, and yes, he was used to working on weekends as well- but...just this one saturday he would have liked to be by himself. He still had to recover from yesterday night and all of the over-thinking that he did. Junhong was ready to plead to his boss to let him rest for the remainder of the day.

"Junhong, I need you to handle the shop at 8 until closing time. The new cleaning kid I hired broke the toilet and he can't handle the shop by himself while it's broken. Not to mention...there's water everywhere in the back and I'm gonna make that brat scrub the floors all night." Junhong rolled his eyes, he knew that his boss was just exaggerating when he said that. More often than not he would take mercy on the new people he hired, especially cleaning employees. The new kid was named Youngjae, he was the new part-time florist and temporary cleaning boy. Himchan needed someone else that would take over when Junhong wouldn't be there, or just to help out. Especially on busy day's like Valentine's day or Mother's day. 

"How did he break the toilet?" Junhong asked, he shook his head and checked the time: 7:46 p.m. Junhong just wanted to scream- they usually stayed open a bit later on saturdays, but most of the time they were closed by 10-11.

"I don't know, just be here by 8." He wanted to yell at his boss and ask why he needed to go to the shop for a few hours when he was sure the new kid could handle it perfectly well. It was weird, his boss was Jongup's friend, Himchan. Himchan was a very kind guy outside of work, but he just couldn't seem to consider the feelings of his workers sometimes. Junhong found himself complaining about Himchan to Jongup more times than he could count and Jongup even agreed with him. Himchan wasn't very organized but he took his job seriously. 

"Okay." Himchan hung up and Junhong changed his clothes into something more appropriate, he cringed at the flowery plant smell of his clothes. Sometimes he wondered if the smell would ever leave.

...

"Youngjae...what happened?" Junhong walked in on a very flustered Youngjae. His hair was messy and wet, he couldn't tell if it was sweat or water from the broken pipe of the toilet. Youngjae's face was tinted red and he looked extremely worn out. Junhong put down his bag and took the mop from Youngjae, he helped him clean up faster.

"I...I don't remember. I was just cleaning the toilet and it suddenly burst open from the tank and water started spilling everywhere and-" Junhong stopped Youngjae from rambling. Youngjae sighed heavily and wiped his face on his damp t-shirt.

"Okay well...I'll finish cleaning up here. Go watch the counter." Junhong continued to mop the floors while Youngjae guiltily left. Youngjae was clumsy, that fact was known to both Himchan and himself. Junhong kept wondering why Youngjae got the job as part-time florist but he guessed it had something to do with him being a 20 year old aspiring botanist. That meant he was young, willing to work, and wouldn't get tired of his job and leave. He was hired about a week and a half ago, and Junhong was stuck with the job of training him. But until he could carry out his job as well as Junhong could, he would be cleaning the shop while Junhong worked. It was an agreement that Junhong didn't really mind. In the past, Junhong had to clean and work with the flowers without getting paid extra for doing it.

"The plumbing girl is here!" Youngjae called from the front. Junhong sighed in relief and stood up as a woman in dark blue, who carried a toolbox, smiled at them and took over the wreck that had happened. "Thank you! I don't know what happened!" Youngjae explained the situation to the lady while Junhong walked back to the front and sat down to cool off. He had just started to relax again when the front bell rang, signaling a new customer. Junhong tried his best not to groan and stood up, he brushed his hair back and smiled widely.

"Welcome to Strong Gold* flowers." Junhong smiled warmly at another recent customer of theirs. His name was Daehyun (he learned this fact from Youngjae) and he hardly ever bought anything more than a single rose or chocolate strawberries. 

"Hey." Daehyun greeted back kindly. He looked around the tiny shop like he always did and Junhong tried not to watch him while he did that. His eyes seemed to search everywhere, behind Junhong, and the aisles of flowers. Junhong just waited while Daehyun searched for whatever it was that he wanted. It was funny, Daehyun first stepped into this shop the same day that Youngjae started working. That meant that Junhong let Youngjae put together his first arrangement of flowers, which consisted of three long stem roses and a few decorations. Youngjae being Youngjae, he managed to mess Daehyun's order up and somehow Daehyun left the shop with water dumped all over his shoes. Daehyun now comes back every day, if only just to not-so-subtly talk to his newly acquired clumsy friend.

"Do you have...any sunflower's?" Daehyun asked politely, his eyes still glanced around the shop every so often. Junhong nodded his head and put on his plain apron that was stained with some kind of liquid substance.

"Yes, I can take you to the back to see them if you want. Since it's late, Youngjae must have moved them from the front already." Junhong mentioned and Daehyun nodded his head. Junhong took Daehyun to the back, he warned him that it was a mess because they had an accident earlier. Youngjae appeared suddenly with a bright smile on his face.

"Hey! What's going on? Flowers? Ohh can I try to wrap them again?" Youngjae asked, and slung an arm around Daehyun's neck, he acted like they had known each other forever. Daehyun tried not to look so embarrassed.

"I guess so, just don't knock any water off the counter this time." Junhong listened to Daehyun's request and grabbed the necessary amount of sunflowers- he prepared the small bouquet for Youngjae to wrap. They all walked out to the front and Junhong added in some decorations and handed it over to Youngjae. Youngjae moved over to the counter and tried his best to follow Daehyun's orders. Thankfully, he succeeded without any accidents this time. Junhong smiled happily and watched from the corner while Daehyun paid and they started to talk about who knows what. Suddenly the door was clumsily pushed open and Junhong looked over to the jingle of the bell. A small child, about 4, stood there with a piece of candy in his mouth. He ran happily inside, his uncoordinated footsteps ran straight for the flowers. Junhong followed him confused, making sure that he didn't break anything and accidentally hurt himself. 

"Uh..." Junhong stopped the kid from reaching for the glass vases. "I don't suppose you're here to buy some flowers?" Junhong asked as the child continued reaching for the white colored Camellias. Junhong laughed softly and glanced toward the glass door to see if the kid's parents were there. There was no one outside. Junhong sighed and reached into his apron pocket for a pair of scissors, he trimmed a few camellia stems and handed them to the small child. "These are called Camellias." Junhong explained as the kid grabbed them very gently and held them up to his face.

"Camilla." The boy repeated. Junhong smiled softly but didn't bother to correct his cute mistake. He kneeled down next to the small, black haired boy.

"Where's your parents at?" He asked and the kid pointed to the front door without looking back. Junhong raised an eyebrow, a few seconds later a man wearing a dark blue, button down shirt peeked his head inside the shop and scanned the area. His eyes landed on the small child next to Junhong and he heaved a sigh of relief. Junhong stood up and smiled at the man. He was carrying two shopping bags in his hands and he looked worn out and tired. 

"There you are...thank god." He whispered to himself. The young child giggled happily at his guardian.

"Ah, so you're not here to buy flowers?" Junhong looked at the child jokingly. The kid shook his head and giggled at the expression the young florist made, he then clutched the white flowers in his hands lovingly. The man smiled in apology and bowed his head a couple times.

"I'm sorry for the trouble, I turned around for one second and he took off...uh...how much for-" He motioned to the two flowers in his kid's hands and Junhong waved him off.

"Don't worry about it. Your son is very cute." Junhong noticed that the man looked a bit young to have a child but he guessed he was right because the man bowed his head and thanked him.

"Thank you." he smiled and turned to the kid, "let's go." The man in the dark blue shirt shifted one shopping bag to the other arm and grabbed his child's hand. "We can show mommy the flowers you got." He said and the kid skipped happily at that thought. "Say thank you to this nice man." The father said and nudged the little child, he said his own odd version of thank you and Junhong laughed at the kid's antics. 

"You're welcome...come back any time."

"Ah...this is a flower shop..." The man quietly observed. He glanced around quickly and briefly noticed the two at the counter who were still talking. "I didn't know there was one around here. I'll make sure to visit again." He smiled and then bowed his head, Junhong nodded and walked them to the front door, he waved at the kid with the Camellias in his hand.

"Bye, see you next time." Junhong said and the child loudly yelled goodbye. The father smiled at him fondly as they walked down the street. Junhong turned around with a smile on his face and said goodbye to Daehyun who was also leaving. An hour passed, Youngjae and Junhong cleaned up the shop, locked up, and said goodbye to another day.

 

 

 

 

<>

 

* This is Himchan's shop, "Strong Gold flowers" Strong comes from -Strong Chan- and Gold comes from Himchan's surname, Kim.

It's also convenient because there is a tulip called strong gold which is cool.

Also another side note, thank you to everyone who subscribed and to those who commented thank you so much. Please continue to comment and tell me what you like in the story, what your looking forward to or anything really. Thank you again!

Oh, and I also want to mention again that I know absolutely nothing about flowers but I am researching and I am trying my best so please, if anybody happens to be an expert here don't be disappointed in me. It's all for the good of banglo!~