Of Maths and Flames

The Sides of the World

Chanyeol growled as he threw his maths textbook across the room. Being a college student was a , and maths was the worst of it. He started when he heard a shout. It didn't take him long to start laughing, however, as the textbook came flying back across the room, now on fire. Despite wanting to watch it burn and die, Chanyeol caught it, dispersing the flames and restoring the damage until the textbook was back to its former horror. Setting it aside, he looked up at the man glaring at him from over the couch.

“The , hyung?”

Chanyeol chuckled. “Sorry, Firefall. You know how I am with maths.”

Firefall vaulted over the couch and walked toward the desk. A copy of Chanyeol, down to the way he squinted his right eye when he was excited, the only way to tell them apart was their hair. Chanyeol kept his relatively short and shaggy, usually lightening it to a chocolaty brown, while Firefall, or Chanseung as he was known to the rest of the world, had a long black ponytail falling to his lower back. He rolled his eyes before looking at the pile of work Chanyeol still had to do. “You know, if you would just do your damn homework after class like me, you wouldn't have to spend your weekend setting your books on fire.”

Chanyeol laughed. Firefall never minced words with Chanyeol, despite being quiet and reserved around others. Usually, outside of classes, Firefall was cozily tucked in Chanyeol's pendant, content to listen to the outside world or watch TV. (That had freaked Chanyeol out a bit, realizing that not only was the space in his pendant large enough for Firefall to move around freely, but that he could also take things with him into the space. And, apparently, his pendant got satellite.) If not there, he was in his small form, resting on Chanyeol's shoulder, invisible to the humans around them, although other supernatural beings could see him. Speaking to others was not his specialty. The only exception was Mim. Being the birth-mates of Summoners gave them a unique bond, much to Chanyeol's amusement and Yifan's chagrin. The two seemed to draw energy from each other, making any outing involving the two of them an exercise in stamina for their Summoners.

“I know, I know. And one day, I'll manage to do it. Until then...” He sighed before turning back to his books. Firefall stretched, debating whether he should retreat into his 'apartment', as he liked to call it, when his phone rang. Chanyeol looked up, curious, before rolling his eyes as Firefall's face lit up with mischief. Only Mim calling could do that. He blocked out the conversation, trying to concentrate on his work, before being roughly dragged out of the realm of stupid English spelling by Firefall shaking him with glee.

“Mim called! She said Yifan invited us to the usual samgyeopsal place for dinner! His treat!”

Chanyeol's eyes widened. “She's pranking us. She has to be.”

Firefall shook his head. “Nope. She said that Yifan's date went really well, really really well, so he decided to celebrate.”

Chanyeol looked down, eyes narrowed a bit before understanding flashed in them. He turned and smiled brightly at Firefall. “Well, then, let's go before he changes his mind!”

Firefall bolted toward the door, Chanyeol giving one last look at his homework before sweeping it from his mind. Samgyeopsal overrode homework any day.

Chanyeol had to chuckle as he and Firefall walked down the street. He was highly aware of the stares the two of them brought. People were usually somewhat subtle, but others blatantly stared, eyes wide. Today was even better, as he heard a crash to his side. He and Firefall glanced over, only to see a stockboy, the (thankfully empty) crate he had been holding at his feet, his eyes glued to the two of them, mouth agape. Chanyeol just shot him one of his bright smiles, having to turn back forward to chuckle as the boy damn near swooned. Firefall just rolled his eyes, smiling at Chanyeol's habit. Being supernatural had its perks: Elementalists always seemed to have a bit of their element in their movements, Shifters held personality traits of their animals, etc. Summoners held their own traits. Summoners and their birth-mates always seemed to have a bit of their elements around them. Chanyeol and Firefall almost seemed to glow, the fire beneath their skin seeming to light them from the inside out. Mim and Yifan always seemed to be light, and a soft breeze almost always followed them, the air that gave them flight causing them to almost float above the ground. (Chanyeol had seen Mim do that once or twice, when she seriously didn't feel like being on the ground anymore.) Firefall rolled his eyes again as Chanyeol flashed another smile, causing the girl it was aimed at to faint dead away into her friend's arms. Luckily, the samgyeopsal place was in sight.

“Come on, hyung. Stop killing the 'fans' and let's go eat. Mim'll be pissed if we don't get there soon.”

Chanyeol chuckled and nodded. “Alright, alright. Don't wanna piss off the dragon.”