Chapter 15

I'll Have The Last Laugh

"That's the last of it", Kyungsoo gave their cabin a final look over before finally wheeling his suitcase to the door.

"I'm almost reluctant to say goodbye", Jongin smiled gently.

Kyungsoo smiled at nothing in particular, "And you thought this trip would be a bad idea".

"Well, I didn't put it like that".

"You may as well have".

Jongin shrugged unapologetically, "You know my love of civilisation".

"Ah yes, Jongin, people person", Kyungsoo fished the cabin keys out of his pocket and tightened his fist around them, "Didn't you accidentally spit on a cashier once?".

Jongin almost tripped over his suitcase, his cheeks flushing red in embarrassment, "I shouldn't have told you about that".

"I don't know what you're talking about. I'm just complimenting your people skills", Kyungsoo smiled cheerfully up at Jongin.

Jongin snickered, "Of course you were. Pass me your case, I'll wait in the car".

After watching Jongin walk away with a smile on his face for a moment, Kyungsoo finally made his way to the reception. Sehun was also heading that way, his suitcase dragging behind him loudly. He looked almost resigned, like he'd come to terms with whatever it was he was thinking about. Kyungsoo frowned and stopped walking, Baekhyun was nowhere in sight. Were they not going to hand in their keys together? Sehun looked towards Kyungsoo and caught his eye, a faint smile ghosting his lips.

"Hey Sehun. Did-", did you say goodbye to Baekhyun? "Did you sleep well?".

Sehun reached him then and Kyungsoo began walking with him, "I guess. I can't wait to sleep in my own bed again though".

Kyungsoo wondered what had gone on between the two of them since he and Jongin interrupted their moment - although the both of them had insisted it wasn't a moment - Sehun hadn't given any explanation and Baekhyun hadn't been near them since.

Maybe Baekhyun isn't interested in him? Kyungsoo considered, then shook his head, no, that can't be right. The way he looks at Sehun isn't completely platonic. Was it Sehun then? The one who told Baekhyun to stay away?

Kyungsoo glanced up at Sehun's pensive face and turned back to face the reception, he was curious about lots of things right now, and none of his questions would be answered. It wasn't like it was his business to ask.

Distracting Kyungsoo from his thoughts, Sehun's long arm reached ahead of him and held the reception door open. He wasn't sure whether Sehun heard his small 'thanks', or whether he would have heard it even if he said it louder.

The inside of the reception was the same as it was when they first checked in, although Kyungsoo had only just noticed the 'Employee of the Month' certificates adorning the walls. Some faces he recognised, such as Chanyeol's - no surprise there - and Luhan's.

Luhan walked into the reception and noticed Kyungsoo's interest in the certificates. "I'm hoping to get a third this month".

Kyungsoo turned around to face him in surprise, having not heard him come in. 

"It'll probably be Chanyeol again though, people seem to love him", Luhan smiled good naturedly, "Sehun, what do you think?".

Sehun away from the floor and up at Luhan in confusion, "What do I think about what?".

"This month's employee of the month. Do you think I've got a shot at it?".

Sehun looked at the walls for the first time, "Sure. You've got my vote".

Luhan's smile broadened, "Thanks. Even if I don't get it, hearing you say that is more than enough", he glanced at his computer screen for a second before looking at them both, "Do you have both of the keys to your cabins?".

Kyungsoo held them up on his finger while Sehun shook his head, "I think Baekhyun will be here in a minute. Last I saw, he was still packing".

So Baekhyun didn't leave before him... Should I stall so they can talk more? Luhan was looking at Sehun expectantly, and Kyungsoo decided it was better not to meddle in Sehun's business. He was a grown up after all, despite the fact that he didn't always act like one.

Taking the keys from Kyungsoo's finger and Sehun's palm, Luhan hung them up on their respective hooks and turned back to his computer. "Okay, that's that for you guys then".

"That's that", Sehun repeated.

"I'm going to be sad to see you guys go", Luhan's smile faltered, "I hope you've had a nice time here though!". The smile returned.

Kyungsoo nodded, "It's been really great, thank you for everything". Sehun hummed in agreement.

He nodded, "You're more than welcome. If either of you are ever in the area again, be sure to stop in and say hi!". Kyungsoo couldn't help but feel that Luhan's words were more directed to Sehun than them both, but he didn't mind.

"If you're ever in our area, you can come say hi to us too", Sehun smiled gently.

This trip was supposed to be fun... why does it feel so disheartening now? Kyungsoo frowned to himself. It feels like we've missed a chapter of their story.

Luhan waved them off until the door to the reception closed.

 

"Did you remember to pack everything?", Kyungsoo eyed Sehun's suitcase wearily.

"It's a little late to ask that now", Sehun snorted, "But yeah I think I did".

Kyungsoo nodded. He wasn't sure what to say to distract Sehun from whatever it was he was thinking about.

"If I have forgotten anything, I can just buy a new one of whatever it is".

Kyungsoo snorted, "I'll never get over how blasé you are with money".

Sehun shrugged, "It's there for me to use. I don't see why I should pretend I have sentimental attachment to replaceable things anyway".

Before Kyungsoo could begin lecturing Sehun on the importance of sentiment - that he suspected had something to do with his potential feelings for Baekhyun - Sehun's attention was drawn elsewhere. Kyungsoo leaned around him to follow his gaze, the man of the hour had stepped into view.

"I'll meet you at the car, take your time".

Sehun glanced back at Kyungsoo to see him already making his way over to Jongin.

"Did you forget something?", Baekhyun stopped in front of Sehun and raised an eyebrow. He looked as tired as Sehun felt and it frustrated Sehun to no end that he couldn't figure out what he was thinking.

I'm not sure, Sehun swallowed.

Since 'the incident' of the almost kiss, they had barely spoken. Silences were even more awkward and even eye-contact was hard to bear. It seemed they were both on the same page - pretend it didn't happen and get on with their lives. But Sehun wasn't sure whether he wanted to pretend it didn't happen, or that he could get on with his life as easily as that.

"Kind of. I wanted to say goodbye".

If Baekhyun was touched by this, he didn't show it.

"So, uh, it's been..."

"Entertaining?", Baekhyun suggested.

Sehun managed to smile, "That's one way to put it. I mean I'm not entirely convinced you aren't a erted stalker but-"

"Hey!", Baekhyun objected, but couldn't help prevent the small smile that crept up his lips.

"But, if you ever feel like stalking me again, here's my number", Sehun reached in his pocket and pulled out a slip of paper.

Baekhyun looked down at the paper with an unreadable expression.

"I mean, you can do your stalkery-magic to find out where I live but I figured we'd start with a phone number", Sehun cleared his throat to clear his voice of nerves.

His hand still held the piece of paper, not willing to give up. Don't shake, Sehun, it's just a phone number.

Baekhyun finally looked up to meet his eyes, leaving the paper in Sehun's grasp, "And if I am a erted stalker?".

Sehun grinned, "Then I'll ask security to take a day off to make things a little easier for you".

Baekhyun's face flushed in embarrassment, "Since when were you so bold?".

"Since I didn't have anything to lose".

"Wow. That is such a cheesy line".

"Did it work?".

Baekhyun slowly reached out and took the number, "We'll see".

 

* * *

 

"Everything okay?", Jongin asked Sehun once he was in the car.

Sehun shrugged, "No idea. He can call me if he wants to".

"And if he doesn't?", Jongin started up the engine.

"I'll get over it".

 


WARNING: (KINDA) LONG AUTHORS NOTE

Okay, it's been too long I know... I really am sorry. I haven't been... well, and that was reflected in my writing. Most of the time I couldn't even find any passion or any motivation to write and I didn't want to force myself to do something I love, because that takes the heart out of what I write and I didn't want to do that. I know this sounds like an excuse for not updating, and I am very sorry. I hope you all can forgive me for having such a crappy update schedule... and again thank you to everyone that still remained/remains subscribed <3

To be honest, I was a little worried to upload this chapter, when I had finally written it. It seems like the camp was a huge part of the story and now they're no longer in it. But! I never intended for them to stay there until the end of the story anyway, so I'm going to see my original idea through because I feel like it's needed for their character development and stuff. Pleasedonthatemeomg.

BUT *GASP* what's going to happen next I wonder  ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯