The Beginning

Love Café Express

 

I never thought opening this café in the heart of Seoul would bring me all those adventures. I never thought leaving my country would make me this happy. I never thought I would meet all those wonderful people. I was 26 when things changed.

 

My enterprise was doing good since two years. As a foreigner, and a language lover, I had opened a coffee shop where people could practice foreign languages. All the waiters and baristas I was hiring were speaking at least three languages. My mother tongue is French, but I would speak English way more, since I was a little girl. I had learned Spanish, Italian, German, Mandarin, Viet, Thai, Japanese, Korean, and a little bit of Russian. Everyday, in this little café, I was happy to serve clients, and speak different languages. I could help people. Actually, a lot of high school students were coming after their classes. Being called unni and noona made me feel a little special.

 

On a beautiful day of July, I received a phone call from home.

 

"Am I talking to Camelia Newton?

-Yes, it's me... who are you?

-I am Jasmine Frumkin. I am a social worker, I work in Vancouver. I... have bad news, concerning your sister Justine...

-Bad news?

-Your sister and her husband were on a plane to go on vacation for a week, in Florida... and that plane crashed...

-How is she?! In a coma?! How is Chris?!

-Miss, they... I'm truly sorry to tell you this... but they... they both died...

-The kids. How are they? Where are they right now?

-They are at their grandparents house.

-Do they know?

-Yes.

-But why are you calling me to tell me this?

-Because your sister and your brother-in-law wanted you to take care of the children in the eventuality of their deaths. As the kids' grandparents don't oppose it, I need to know if you want to take care of them.

-O—of course! I—I... I just... need help...

-That's my job. I know you probably want to get them in South Korea with you... I can look for the visas and all the paperwork you will need to do that. For now, I can only ask you to come back in Canada for the funerals, next Sunday... and you should stay for a week, maybe two. Or as long as you can.

-Of course... I will... prepare my things and... come as soon as I can... I... can I have your number?"

 

I was leaning on the wall as I hung up, when I had taken down the information I needed. I wasn't sobbing yet, but tears were streaming down my cheeks.

 

"Camelia, are you alright?

-I... need to take days off... Sammy... you'll be in charge for the next three weeks...

-Wow, what's happening?

-My... sister died... I need to go in Vancouver and... get the kids... I... I... , Justine! Why would she ask me to do that?

-Camy... come here... it's alright... Here..."

 

I dropped on my knees as Sammy took me in his arms. I cried on his shoulder for a good while. Even if he told me to go home, I stayed at the café. I didn't work, I tried to find plane tickets. The day after, I stayed home, and prepared my things. It was already Friday. My flight was leaving late at night. Sammy drove me there. He was my best friend, and the best barista in town. I trusted him more than anybody.

 

I arrived in Vancouver on Saturday morning. The kids' grandparents picked me up at the airport. When I arrived at their house, the kids ran to me. At least the two oldest did. They hugged me tight as the little Luna, 4 years old, was playing with her dolls.

 

"Aunty!

-Aunt Camelia!

-Oh, kids! I'm so sorry...! Here, calm down, it's gonna alright, okay?

-Aunty! Look, I got a new doll! Grandma said I could call her like mom!

-Luna, come here, cutie pie! ... I'm happy to see you...

-Do you cry because mom is gone?

-Hm...

-Zidane said she and dad were in Heaven. Is it true?

-Yes. I'm sure they are there.

-Will I see her again?

-Not... soon.

-Who will prepare my food, now?

-Lulu, mommy and daddy asked aunty to take care of you, now. So I will be the one preparing your food, and washing your clothes...

-You will come to our house?

-I... thought we could all go to my house, together... would it be fun?

-Yes!

-Are you serious?

-Bella, is it good with you?

-Yes. Anything to change air.

-Zidane, how do you feel about it?

-I wanna go too.

-Didi, don't cry, we can come and see grandma and grandpa on weekends!

-Luna..." the big brother took her in his arms.

"We cannot do that. But we'll come often." he said as he looked at me. I smiled and nodded.

 

I stayed there that night, and helped little Luna to get prepared the morning after. The funerals were at 11 am. It was raining. They buried them together. Luna wanted to give them balloons. We left them with a flower pot beside their graves.

 

We spent a long week preparing everything to move to Seoul. We packed their things and sent them, we got through all the paperwork.

 

We left Vancouver the next Sunday. Luna was scared in the plane. Zidane held her hand all the time. Bella slept.

 

When we arrived, Sammy picked us up. The kids were happy to see him. We got home, where he had prepared their rooms. They were impressed. Sammy and me were living together in a really nice house. His father was a rich Korean business man. His mom was a French designer.

 

"Bienvenue, les enfants!* You each got your room. Upstairs. Your names are on the doors.        *Welcome, kids!

-Thank you Sam!

-Love you Sammy!"

 

Bellatrix and Zidane got upstairs, but Luna stayed still.

 

"Lulu, you don't wanna go see your bedroom?

-I decorated it with horses, and pink and purple!

-I need to pee..." she said with a really little voice.

"Come, I'll show you the bathroom." I said as I gave her my hand.

 

She took it and followed me. After that, we walked together to her bedroom. It was already the evening. Sam ordered food. We ate a little. I helped Luna with her bath, and she went to sleep right away. She asked me to leave her door opened, and to leave the light opened in the corridor. When she was asleep, I got in the living room. I sat on the couch with the two teenagers. I hugged them.

 

"I'll try to find all the things you need. Tomorrow we will visit the International British School. I'll find you a tutor in Korean, too.

-What do we do... for the rest of the summer?

-Well, I am free for at least two other weeks. We can do many things. I won't force you, though.

-Could I work at the café?

-It could be a possibility, yes.

-I wanna work too, then.

-Alright, I'll see what I can do.

-I can't process that... I won't see mom and dad anymore... that they won't be there for our graduations... for Luna's first day at school... Who will walk me up the aisle if ever I get married?!

-I will, Bella.

-Your my little brother, it's not your job! Why did they have to die?!

-Life can't be controlled... it starts and ends when it wants to... and it , I know it does... but you can't try to control it...

-It would be so much easier to just give up...

-Don't say that. Bellatrix, when I was your age... I... I thought the same... I was failing at everything... I was an orphan... I thought I had the worst life ever... so tried to kill myself... I took sleeping pills, way too much. But your mom found me, and doctors saved me. So I tried again, a couple of months later. I cut my wrists. They saved me again. I tried to choke myself. And then, my doctor asked me: "What was that for? Why do you give up? Don't you have dreams?" I told him about my love for languages. How I wanted to go away, change air, meet new people. And he took money from his own pockets, organized a trip here, in South Korea, for me. I worked a little. I got a degree and Management of a restaurant. I learned all the languages I wanted, over the years. And I moved here.

-We know this story, aunt Camelia... mom told us, when we entered high school.

-I know... but... Now I am asking you, don't you have a dream, Bellatrix?

-I wanna draw and paint. And fall in love.

-Good. I'll help you all I can. And you, Zidane?

-I want to play soccer. And play guitar. And never forget my parents...

-I swear, you will never forget them! They will always stay in your hearts, and your memories. Like my parents do. Do you want me to get you pendants like mine, to keep them close all the time?

-It's a good idea...

-Okay, we'll look at that. Now we should go to sleep."

 

I hugged then tight, and we all went to bed. In the middle of the night, Luna woke up crying and screaming. By the time I was there, Zidane was taking her in his arms, and bringing her in his bed. He held her close and she fell back asleep. He had always taken care of her this way. In the morning, it was still silent when I got up. I went to see in Zidane's room, and got surprised when I saw Bella there too. Luna was laying between the two, and they were snuggling. I subtly took a photo.

 

For the next few days, we had really full days. We managed to have fun while doing the important things. The week after, I began to work again. And Bella and Zidane worked too. Luna was getting busy with her toys and her drawings in the café, not disturbing clients. They even found her cute. Some of them were having conversations with her. And both the teenagers were getting attention from boys and girls of their age.

 

Bellatrix was 17, she was very girly, had a very pale skin, had long blond hair, dark blue eyes and loved any type of art. Zidane was almost 16, had light brown hair, green eyes, a darker skin than his older sister, and he liked sports and showed it a lot. Luna was 4, had blue eyes, brown hair, pale skin and the most beautiful smile ever.

 

"Hello, beautiful princess, how are you?

-I am not a princess.

-Oh, then who are you?

-I am just a little girl.

-You are cute! What is your name?

-Luna Carter. And you?

-You can call me Jiyong. What are you doing?

-I draw things.

-What are you drawing?

-A black and white horse.

-You like horses?

-Yes! They are my favourite animals ever!

-Mine are dogs! I had two of them. Do you have a horse?

-My grandpa has horses. But he's in Vancouver.

-Oh, I see. It's quite far.

-Hm. But now my home is here because mommy and daddy are in Heaven.

-Oh...

-Oh my God, sorry about that! Hey, Luna, why don't you go see Sam in the Kitchen? I think he needs help to test the cupcakes!

-Okay Aunty Camy!

-Hey, Luna, are we buddies, now?

-Buddies?

-Friends?

-Okay, you can be my friend. I will bring you a cupcake if I don't eat them all!"

 

She giggled as she skipped to the kitchen. I sighed, a little overwhelmed by the situation.

 

"I am truly sorry about that... it happened really recently and... she is four and she... doesn't really process everything for now...

-It's alright, really! She's sweet!

-Can I serve you something to drink, or eat?

-An espresso, please!

-Give me a minute!"

 

The café was calm, almost empty. It happened, sometimes. I prepared his espresso, and gave it to him.

 

"So your name is Camy...?

-Camelia. Camelia Newton.

-It's a really pretty name!

-Thank you!

-I am Kwon Jiyong. I was wondering if I could come here and practice my English, once in a while?

-Oh, this place is exactly for this! You come in, you take a coffee, you relax and you meet people and speak foreign languages. You said your name was what, again?

-Kwon Jiyong.

-Like... wait, no, no way, not like-

-G-Dragon, the one and only." he chuckled shyly. "I'd be glad if you would not spill it to the world.

-No problem, really!

-Aunt Camy, I'm done cleaning the floor!

-Nice Zidane, go take a break. Your sisters and Sam seems to have fun with cupcakes!

-Cool, food! Oh, and you... have fun too... she's single!

-Shush! Zidane you are terrible!"

 

He laughed as he got in the kitchen. I was slightly blushing.

 

"That kid...

-He's funny. He seems outgoing.

-He is. He should learn to keep his mouth shut sometimes... Haha!

-Yeah... even if he gives pretty interesting information about his aunt!

-Hm..." I hummed, blushing again.

"Hum, huh... what languages do you speak? I learned rumours, you know, about you speaking so much of them.

-Well, I speak English, Spanish, Italian, German, Mandarin, Japanese, Viet, Thai, Korean, Russian, French...

-You speak French?

-Yup! I master French! I mean I master French language. It's my mother tongue.

-It's a very beautiful language. I love it.

-I'm happy about it! If ever you want lessons, I don't charge a lot.

-I'll see!

-AUNTY! I got you cupcakes!

-Thank you!

- Aunty?

-Yes Luna?

-Is he going to be your boyfriend?

-Tell your brother it doesn't concern him. And pinch his cheeks for me. And... tickle him!

-Hihihi!

-Now go!"

 

She walked fast back to the kitchen. I heard them laugh, and I chuckled to myself.

 

"It must be hard for you too.

-I try to move day by day.

-Say... would you like to go out with me? I mean, as... new friends?

-Well I-

-She says yes! I'll babysit, Camy!"

 

I blushed a lot as Sammy had arranged it all for me.

 

"Let's say... I pick you up at your place at 6 pm on Saturday?

-Okay...

-Could I have your phone number? I mean, so you can send me your address, and all...

-Oh, alright, yes."

 

He gave me his phone, and I entered my phone number on it. He then texted me. I received a messaged, and he witnessed it. He smiled and got up.

 

"Well, be chic on Saturday!

-Alright!

-Have a nice day!

-You too!"

 

You too, beautiful super famous writer-composer-producer-rapper-singer... Why do I have to look so stupid in front of guys?

 

"-Aunty got a date!

-Aunt Camelia, it's awesome! You got a date with a rapper!

-Shush! He's a guy like any others! And it is not a date! Not at all!

-Yeah, right.

-I propose we go buy you a dress!
-A princess dress!

-We'll go tomorrow, after work!"


 

Hello darlings! I hope you liked this chapter (even though it's a tiny one)! I am not good at all for A/N so I can just add Please comment and subscribe for more! :)