Caramel Latte

Myeongdong Love Story

"I'm so sorry ma'am, but this card is maxed out."

 

 

My jaw dropped as the cashier handed me my credit card back.

 

 

"But..." I started. This has never happened to me before. Not then, but why now... "Ugh fine. Here." I handed her a few bills to pay for the stuff I bought.

 

 

"Thank you. Come again!" she smiled at me, and I forced a smile as I head out of the store.

 

 

THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED TO ME BEFORE. What the hell just happened?! I never max out a card! Did I shopped too much this time?

 

 

I settled on a spot outside a cafe and stared at the pile of paper bags from different stores that I visited earlier. Looking at it, made me hate myself for spending WAY too much. Though money's never a problem in our family.

 

My father owns a whole lot of bars in the United States and my siblings are either in California or New York/ I'm the only one who's staying in South Korea in my family. My mom? She died when I was young. I was only a teenager when I moved here. 17 or 18? I don't remember.

 

 

"Excuse me but, are you going to buy something or just sit there and look glum? I'm sorry but by-standers aren't allowed here." I glared at the guy who was standing in front of me. I haven't seen him around here before. He looks cute but... meh.

 

 

"I am well aware of that rule. Now, get me my usual." I told him. But he just stared at me. "What?"

 

 

"What's your usual?" he asked, looking at me with those puppy dog sparkling eyes. Wait, no. I didn't say that.

 


"Ugh. My-" I was about to answer him when I was interrupted.

 

 

"Tiffany!" Someone called from inside and we saw my friend Snny walking towards us, I was still looking displeased but I smiled at her and hugged her as she reached us. "What's the matter?" she asked.

 

 

"Ugh. This... This guy. I was..." I'm having a perfectly hard time explaining what happened because he kept looking at me. Seriously!

 

 

"Oh, right. I'm sorry about that." Sunny looked at me apologetically and turned to the guy. "Nichkhun, this is my friend Tiffany. She comes here every day and her usual orders are caramel latte and a belgian waffle topped with vanilla ice cream."

 

 

So his name is Nichkhun. But that doesn't sound Korean, American, Japanese nor Chinese to me.

 

 

When Sunny took the seat in front of me, I raised an eyebrow at her.

 

 

"What? Oh. That's Nichkhun. He's new." she answered my obvious question.

 

 

"Where's he from? Nichkhun is not a common name." I said.

 

 

"He's from Thailand. I don't know why he came to Seoul but he just did. And I'm in no place to ask him such personal questions. I'm not the Korean Ambassador of Thailand, for crying out loud!" she said. Yep, I was speechless.

 

 

"Chill! I only asked where he's from." I giggled.

 

 

"Sorry. You know how I get when-" she said but I interrupted her.

 

 

"When you drink coffee. I know. What I don't get is WHY you even own a coffee shop when that's the case." I said.

 

 

Then, Nichkhun appeared at the door and made his way to us. He placed my orders at the table and quickly went back inside.

 

 

"I don't know either. Maybe because coffee is just so in demand these days." she answered and I nod as I take a sip of my latte.

 

 

"Fair point." I said and ate a small portion of the waffle. Sunny has always been the business minded in our whole circle of friends.

 

 

"Yeah. I need to go. This is work hours, I need to be a model to my employees." Sunny said and went back inside the shop.

 

 

I realized that I have a smudge of whipped cream on my nose, so I took a tissue and wiped it off. That's when I saw the number written on the other pair of tissue.

 

 

"Huh..." I stared at it and smirked. "Isn't he too fast..." I finished my latte and waffle and decided to go to the bank and pay for my credits.