On Rainy Days

On Rainy Days

It's cool. The drip drip dropping on our skin. And then, cold as a mother-er. I'm so useless but I can't help but feel worried about your health. Will you catch a chill? You grab my shivering, wet body all slimy and slick with rain and hold me close. And all I feel is your heart as it beats strong against my chest.


"Don't leave me. Don't let me go." I whisper in your ear. I don't think about tomorrow. Or the tomorrow's after but I only enjoy the moments I have in your embrace.


Your hair pressed sticky across my cheek and you dig strong fingers alongside my spine. Your voice is inaudible. I replay the response I think it is in my mind over and over and over.

 

*



The bus ride home is intertwined fingers and my sleepy head on your shoulder as we bump-rattle down the street in the back of the bus. Some people giving us knowing looks but others with a quizzical brow furrowed. As long as we make our stop, it doesn't matter much to me.


Your hand stretches across my thigh, teasingly, minutes before the bus gets to our stop and my breath hitches almost involuntarily. Your grey-brown hair swishes forward with the jolt of the stop...


And I miss you. I miss you so so much when my thoughts flash forward to a time where your fingers don't intertwine with mine and you don't bring me back to reality like you always could.


......I will never let this happen.

 

......This will never happen.