Of RomComs, Libraries and Milkshakes

Always Jinyoung
Please log in to read the full chapter

Mark has always preferred action and thriller movies over romantic comedies, hip hop tunes over ballad music and skate parks over libraries. This preference perfectly complements the “I’m a cool guy” aura he gives off.

Which is why he cannot comprehend how he ended up browsing through the wide array of books in their school library… on a perfectly sunny Saturday afternoon. He had already wasted about two hours of his weekend in a place he can easily categorize as not one of his favorites. He could have been at the skate park, practicing his tricks. Maybe drop by his and his friends’ favorite milkshake bar after and order his favorite chocolate milk shake – just the kind of reward he needs after sweating his body out. Yet here he is, surrounded by endless shelves of books, grabbing random books from the History section and placing them back again to where it originally is after pretending to skim through the books’ pages since he.honestly.does.not.have.anything.better.to.do.

“This! This is the book I’ve been waiting for!” a voice distracts Mark from his thoughts, bringing him back to his current state. With a sigh, Mark hurriedly runs to where the voice is coming from – to the reason why he is stuck in the place he associates with studying, learning and more un-Mark verbs.

He finds himself in the new arrivals section of the library, his close friend hugging a book, eye crinkles and all.

“Look! Mark hyung! I can finally read this book! I’ve been waiting for months! YAY!” Jinyoung announces while doing a random victory dance (still hugging the book).

Mark catches himself stopping a smile from spreading across his face. He finds the scene adorable, yes, but his dear friend right here made him wait in the library for more than two hours for a book that is less than 150 pages long. In addition to that, he was completely ignored by this friend during those two hours.  The latter promised to spend the entire day with Mark so they can catch up on things. After school basketball and dance practices have filled Mark and Jinyoung’s schedule lately that is why Jinyoung proposed that this Saturday would be “Mark and Jinyoung’s Catch Up Day!”. Mark immediately agreed and cleared his schedule for the day because well, he misses his friend he is a good friend. Mark feels annoyed for some reason. So far, what they did on "Mark and Jinyoung's Catch Up Day!" was watch the romantic comedy Jinyoung badly wanted to see then proceeded to the school library for the book that Jinyoung badly wanted to read. 

He does not know if it's because of hunger or the frustration of wanting to enjoy the Saturday heat, but Mark feels annoyed. He realized that he has not actually bonded with his best friend the whole day. He has a lot of rants on basketball practice, schoolwork, missing LA and he was looking forward to sharing all these with the younger. But here they are, already half past 2pm, and all he did was observe how Jinyoung got preoccupied with everything (read: romcom movie and a new book) except for well, Mark Tuan. Mark feels ignored... and he does not like that at all, which can be seen from the frown that is starting to form on his face.

"Are you ok, hyung? " As if on cue, JInyoung asks his friend, a concerned look etched on his face.

He finally notices me, Mark thought, the look on Jinyoung's face making him guilty of feeling quite annoyed at his friend. But he did ignore me... Mark battles with himself, he should at least feel sorry for doing that. Mark wants Jinyoung's attention, and now that he finally has it, he does not want to risk losing it over nonliving things again. The American-born Taiwanese is not usually possessive but he is not in the mood to dissect his feelings so he just utters "Let's go now, Jinyoungie. Let's do something else.", while making his way to the library's exit.

Still confused, Jinyoung checks out his book and makes a run to where his friend is heading to.

"What's wrong, Markie hyung?" Jinyoung asks again. "Are you bored? Want to go to th---"

"Jinyoung," Mark starts. He stops walking which causes the Korean boy to stop in his tracks as well. Mark wants to be as honest as possible to Jinyoung. This is his best friend after all.

"I feel like we haven't really talked at all today. All I did was follow you around and do things you want to do. I don't know... this is supposed to be our catch-up day, right? But we haven't been catching up on anythin

Please log in to read the full chapter