twenty four

there's a 'no' in 'noona' for a reason
Please log in to read the full chapter

yoongi's just going to say it outright: he's biual. it's an inner turmoil he's being having to deal with for the past fifteen -- and in less than a month, sixteen -- years of his life. when he was a small child, a fourth grader in elementary school, he remembers having a sixth grade tutor and thinking that he was the most beautiful person yoongi had ever seen. when he was fourteen, in the orphanage, there was a girl he'd occasionally pass in the halls and greet, and he thought that she was just as lovely, too.

because of his parents, for nearly his entire life, yoongi wondered if this feeling was wrong. was it because he'd been abused? was it the product of his hellish childhood? not to mention the teasing and the bullying by the other children in the orphanage, being spat on and called "" just because jimin protected him. it'd only caused him to sink deeper and deeper into his cesspool of self-doubt. but ever since yoongi has settled down into his new family, he's been slowly learning to accept it. so what if it's because of that? either way, it's still who he is, and yoongi doesn't see it changing anytime soon.

for the past month, yoongi's been debating on whether he should tell his family or not. jimin says he should, because they seem like the more liberal and accepting type, and it would help yoongi come to terms with who he is, along with allowing him to date more freely and simply be himself. however, like any sane closeted person, he's worried. worried that he'll be ostracized just like he was at the orphanage and at his own home, worried that they'll reject him. he's seen what happened to those abandoned kids firsthand.

 

it takes many long nights of convincing and coaxing for yoongi to work up the courage to even consider what to say. it takes even longer for him to formulate a plan. he decides to break the news over a sunday night dinner at home, the one day a week when their parents make all ten of them crowd around the dining table and eat together. it's noisy and cramped, but everyone's in a good mood and cheerful. yoongi decides to break the news, figuring that they won't react as badly if they're already happy.

"um, i have something to say to you all," he begins slowly, his heart racing. he clenches his fists to hide how his fingers are shaking, and jimin squeezes one of them comfortingly under the table.

everyone ceases talking and stares at him with wide, fascinated eyes. his mother smiles gently. "what's up, yoongi-yah?"

and just like that, his entire plan evaporates. yoongi gulps and stares at his plate, struggling with his words. he can only think of the worst, and wonders if the orphanage will take him back. "i, um, i'm...." he swallows. "...biual."

what must be a second seems like an hour to him. all eyes are on him, from jungkook's innocent brightness to aimee's homework-induced thousand-yard stare. yet at the same time, it seems to go by in a blink of an eye.

"oh, funny you should say that!" yoongi's father chuckles, definitely not what he was expecting. "actually, aimee's biual, too!"

jimin shoots yoongi a dazzling grin, and yoongi himself is in a daze. after all the mental preparation he'd done, the expectations for the worst to happen, he didn't expect a kind laugh and the news that one of his own sibli

Please log in to read the full chapter