1/1

I'm Your Valentine?

 

Ugh, maths.

Kyungsoo sighed heavily through his nose as he glanced at the clock. There was still ten minutes left of the horrible torture for him to endure and, honestly, he couldn't be more eager to put the far-too-complex equations and formulae behind him and enjoy the rest of the day.

I mean, just because he has good grades didn't mean he has to like every subject.

An elbow to the ribs jolted him back to reality, courtesy of his seat mate and - unfortunately - best friend Kim Minseok. He turned his head and raised an eyebrow in question.

"Hey, I...want to talk to you at lunch today..." The latter whispered.

Pinching the bridge of his nose, Kyungsoo quickly checked to see the teacher still droning on about x and whatever that equals.

"Can we not just wait and talk about this lat-"

"Mr. Do, is there something you'd like to share with the rest of the class?" The teacher said, calling him out. Kyungsoo scowled at Minseok who gave him a sheepish look back before turning to the teacher and smiling.

"No, Mr. Lee, sorry" he apologised. Mr. Lee gave him a hard look before saying;

"Then, would you care to inform the rest of the class what X is in this case?" He gestured to the board at the front of the room with an equation written on it.

He glanced at the board and mentally recalled what they'd been talking about before he was distracted by Minseok.

"Um, X is...24.73" he said. He could see the rest of the class roll their eyes at him for giving the right answer.

"You are correct. But please, converse outside my classroom next time" he scolded, turning back to the rest of the class. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. Oh, how he wished someone would save him from this boring lecture.

Almost like someone read his mind, the door opened and his biology teacher walked in.

"Hi, sorry to interrupt you, Dongha-erm Mr. Lee..." Kyungsoo made eye contact with Minseok and snickered as Mr. Lee blushed.

"Um, no worries, no worries...how can I help you?" He stammered.

"Well, it's just that the class next door has a bit of an issue with teaching staff at the moment, Miss Kim is unable to come in for next period and you're head of staffing so..."

"Okay, I'll sort it" turning back to the class, Mr. Lee gave everyone a sweeping look.

"Right, you guys finish off the last three questions on page 53 and then you can go" he said, exiting the class swiftly, leaving no room for arguments.

The moment he left, the whole class let out a breath of relief. Kyungsoo started working on the questions straight away like the good student he is, but as usual, he was interrupted.

"So I guess I can tell you what I was going to say at lunch now....its-uh..what I was going to say to you was that, well, I was thinking that...maybe I should ask Jongdae on a date today?"

Kyungsoo smiled slightly. Minseok has had a crush on the schools prankster ever since their first year when the latter had pranked their home room teacher on the first day. The boy had hearts in his eyes every time the troll walked by.

To Kyungsoo, it was pretty obvious that, over time, Kim Jongdae had grown to like, maybe even love Minseok back, and the pranks were almost a way of trying to get his attention, to impress him. But obviously Minseok couldn't see that himself.

"Why does that sound like a question?" He snorted, moving on to question two.

"Well...what do you think?"

Kyungsoo paused and put down his pen for a second.

"Hey, you know that it's fine, right? Yeah Jongdae can be an but from what I know he's actually quite nice....I approve, if that's what you're after..you two look cute together" he patted Minseoks arm.

"Yeah...thanks" Minseok said, returning his smile. Just as he was about to go back to his third and final question, the classroom door opened and a girl stood in the doorway.

He sighed. So many interruptions.

She walked over to Kyungsoo's desk with a certain look in her eye he knew all too well, and said male wanted to bury himself in the nearest wall because he knew what was coming next.

It wasn't like he didn't appreciate the attention, because it was obviously nice to be desired, but when it wasn't the person he wanted to be with asking him out, it became a bit awkward.

"Hey, Kyungsoo" the girl said, holding something behind her back.

"Hey, uh, Minah, right?" He said, smiling politely at her. Her cheeks coloured slightly and she shuffled on her feet.

"Um, so, I-I was just wondering, you know, if you want to...do you, um..m-maybe want to be my valentine?" She squeaked. "I-uh, I got you these..." She said, bringing her hands to the front so he could see the box of expensive looking chocolates.

He internally groaned; he always felt like the bad guy at this bit, especially when there were gifts involved. He was well aware that he'd gathered some sort of reputation of being someone who rejected everyone regardless of social status and popularity, but it still made him feel like an .

"Look, Minah...I'm really sorry to say this, but I'm not interested in you like that. Don't get me wrong, you're a great girl and you're very pretty but unfortunately I don't see you in that way"

She gave him a small smile and he could see her eyes get watery.

Oh boy.

"O-okay.....I-sorry...did you, um, did you want the chocolates then or-?"

"That's okay, Minah..but thank you"

She nodded and walked out quickly, and it was only then that Kyungsoo realised the whole class was staring at him; the girls (and some of the guys) in hope because he didn't accept which meant he was still single, and the boys in disbelief because Bang Minah was probably one of the prettiest girls in school.

He rolled his eyes and went back to his last question.

"Still saving yourself for 'the one' I see" Minseok nudged him suggestively and wiggled his eyebrows.

Kyungsoo groaned but felt himself blush. Minseok giggled at him.

"To be honest I'm not sure why you haven't asked him out yet, it's quite obvious that the boy is in love with you" he chuckled, clapping Kyungsoo on the back.

"Yah, it's not like that, okay...he just sees me as a friend..a good hyung, you know?" he rolled his eyes.

"Pffft yeah, yeah okay" Minseok laughed as the bell rang for the start of their next lesson. Kyungsoo ignored him and got ready for his next lesson, thinking about a certain person.

 

--

 

They actually decorated the canteen this year Kyungsoo noticed as he walked alongside Minseok to their table. Last year, the school hadn't bothered to make an effort at all for Valentine's Day and had consequently faced the wrath of most of the female student body.

He snickered to himself imagining the principal cornered by a mob of angry females, earning a strange glance from Minseok.

Looking around, it wasn't actually too bad, he supposed. The ceiling had been strung with streamers in different shades of pink and red and the food was all themed in a Valentine's Day sort of way; heart shaped cookies and little brownie bags were the most obvious ones Kyungsoo could spot from his seat near the back of the room.

"Ugh, why is it so full today?" Minseok huffed as he glared at the room packed with students. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and was about to retort when he was cut off by the loud sound of a tray being slammed down onto the table.

"ing idiots, cutting in front of me in the queue" the intruder mumbled angry. "I mean, who do they think they are? Just because I'm not as fat as them doesn't mean I don't want my food too, ugh!" Kyungsoo snorted.

"Calm down Baek, it's Valentine's Day after all, you should be feeling the love" he laughed, pulling his other best friend down into his seat.

"Yeah well, I'm hungry okay..haven't eaten a thing since my crackers at breakfast 'cause of this stupid diet..."

Kyungsoo looked down at the males tray and raised his eyebrows at the cookies sitting prettily in the corner.

"Uh, I don't think that cookies ar-"

"Shut up, I'm bloody hungry and this diet can go to hell" Baekhyun replied before viciously stuffing one into his mouth. Kyungsoo shook his head but smiled. Baekhyun was forever concerned about his looks ever since he'd accidentally bumped into the high schools jock, Park Chanyeol, but the boy could never keep up a diet for more than a couple of days at a time.

"-Soo? Hello, anybody home?" Baekhyun said, poking is forehead.

"Sorry, I was thinking" was his answer.

"Well, if you weren't too busy doing useless things like that, then you would've heard me say that I saw Jongin earlier"

Kyungsoo, who had taken a sip of his drink, promptly choked at the mention of his dongsaengs name.

"What about him? Is he okay? Did he ask someone to be his Valentine?" He spluttered. He watched as Baekhyun and Minseok shared a look.

"Chill out, I just saw him with Sehun at his locker. He's looking pretty cute today, no?" He said, wriggling his eyebrows at Kyungsoo, who blushed.

It was true; this morning he'd seen Jongin leave for school out of his window (He isn't a stalker, believe it or not) and had cooed out loud at the sight of his dongsaeng in black skinny jeans which probably would've been more y than cute (ugh those legs), had it not been for the insanley cute penguin jumper and some high tops he was wearing, rucksack slung on his shoulder whilst his head was down.

He saw the younger male trip over his own feet, shyly looking around to see if anyone had noticed. It was adorable.

Kyungsoo had watched him walk down the rest of their road before realising a good few minutes later that he also needed to leave to get to school on time.

"Yeah, he's always so cute" he mumbled subconsciously, getting lost in his own thoughts about Jongin. The other two smiled, a usual occurrence when Kyungsoo would tell them how cute Jongin looked, or how adorable he was.

A sudden commotion in the crowd had the three males looking up from their seats, trying to see what was going on through the body of students. Kyungsoo could hear Shijuk, the schools resident bully, talking to someone through the circle of people, and stood up to take a closer look.

"Kyungsoo?" He heard Baekhyun call after him, but continued edging through people with a bad feeling in his gut.

He heard the words "Should we read it?" And the consequent response from the students around him, shouting yes and cheering. Pushing through the last few people to get to the centre, his heart jolted when he saw Jongin and Sehun, the latter restrained by one of Shijuks lackeys.

"Hey, what's going on?!" He said loudly, looking back and forth between the two parties. He saw Jongin lower his head, biting his lip, and Kyungsoo knew that was one of the signs of his anxiety.

"Nothing much shorty, stutter nutter here seems to have a crush, and we're about to find out who it is"

It took a few seconds for Kyungsoos brain to catch up with what Shijuk had just announced. He heard Jongin stutter a small "P-please don't" and whatever Shijuk had said in return, but his mind was still stuck on the fact that Jongin had a crush.

Jongin had a crush on somebody.

His Jongin had a crush on somebody, and was about to be outed to the whole school. He felt his heart sink a little at the thought of Jongin crushing on someone, and his words, though meant to be harsh and confident, came out weaker than intended.

"Don't be a jerk, Shijuk"

It was almost slow motion as he watched the bully tear open the card and read aloud.

"My dearest Kyungsoo, we've known each other for quite some time now, right? I don't know if you realise how much you mean to me, so I'm going to write it out for you because you know I'm not great with words"

Kyungsoo? Kyungsoo?

As in him?

Like, him? Do Kyungsoo?

Wait a second....Jongin has a crush on him?

The realisation came crashing down on him and he probably would've squealed and happily jumped about if it wasn't for the sound of mocking laughter bringing him back to the present moment.

"Everything you do and have done for me makes me feel like I'm special, though I'm pretty sure that's just in your nature! Little things like making me lunch when I couldn't do it myself, or bandaging up my cuts when I fell over and grazed my skin (you remember that time, right?! I was so clumsy hahaha!!)

My point is; with all these little things you've done for me, you've made me fall in love with you over and over again, and I hope that one day you could maybe fall in love with me and we can be happy together, 'cause I know I'd do anything to make you happy, Hyung!

I think you're perfect in every way and I really hope you give me a chance to show you how much you mean to me...

Please accept my feelings for you,
Yours,
Jongin <3"

"Ahahaha there's even a heart drawn at the end!!" Shijuk yelled waving the card about.

Kyungsoo glanced at Jongin and saw the tears rolling down his cheeks slowly. He wanted to call out to him and tell him it was okay, that everything would be okay because he felt the same way and that together they would shut everyone up, but the words got stuck in his throat. He was in utter shock that Jongin actually liked him.

He watched as Jongin his heel and ran out the door. By the time the male was no longer in sight, a few teachers had entered the canteen and were disbanding the huge crowd of laughing students, and it was then that everything caught up to speed in his head.

.

"Sehun!" He yelled, running towards the male who was being talked to by his history teacher Mr. Jung. He ignored the surprised look of said teacher for interrupting him.

"Where did Jongin go? Where would he be?!" He said, internally panicking because he remembered witnessing one of Jongins previous anxiety attacks in middle school and it was scary for him to think of Jongin going through it alone.

Thankfully, Sehun seemed to sense his panic and relented easily. "He goeth to the toilet on the thecond floor I think, come on, I'll thow you" he said, following the same direction that Jongin had taken moments before.

The two boys raced up the stairs, hearing Mr. Jung trying to keep up with them whilst telling them that they should return to class.

The came to a stop outside the toilets, where sobbing could be heard relatively clearly through the door.

"Jongin!" Sehun shouted, banging on the door. Kyungsoo turned to Mr. Jung.

"Sir, can you get the key to open the door please? It's urgent!" He said, running a hand through his hair.

"-and remember your breathing, okay? Jongin? Pleathe open the door" Sehun said, clearly worrying. Kyungsoo had his eyes fixed on the door, hoping that they would be able to get to Jongin before something happened.

Mr Jung quickly hurried to the door with the acquired keys in his hand, turning the lock and pushing the door open.

Kyungsoo thought his heart had stopped when he saw Jongin slumped against the wall, unmoving. The only indication that he was alive was the constant rhythm of his chest.

Not caring who was present, he pushed past everyone and rushed to Jongins side. Pulling him onto his lap, he gingerly moved a few stray strands of his dongsaengs fringe away from his puffy eyes, heart breaking when the redness and clear tear tracks could be seen.

"We need to take him to the nurse" Mr Jung said, bringing out a phone from his pocket and dialling the nurses office. Sehun wordlessly stood on the other side of Jongin, leaning down to gently pick him up.

Kyungsoo wanted to protest, but held his tongue knowing that he wasn't strong enough to carry Jongin like Sehun could.

He trailed beside them as they briskly walked towards the first floor, shooting glances at Jongin every five seconds to check he was still okay.

The nurse, already briefed by Mr Jung, had him put on a ready made bed straight away, shooing the two of them outside.

It was quiet in the hallways, everyone in class at the moment, and Kyungsoo briefly thought it reminded him of a hospital before deciding that he didn't like that comparison because people died in hospital. Jongin wasn't going to die, was he?

A string of unpleasant and irrational thoughts entered his head, before a soft voice broke him out of his daze.

"He will be fine, hyung." Sehun muttered, placing a hand on his shoulder. Kyungsoo gave him a weak smile.

"Boys, if I may have a word" Mr Jung said, closing the door to the nurses office behind him. Kyungsoo squirmed uncomfortably at the thought of not knowing how Jongin was.

"First of all, I am to inform you that Mr Kim is fine, he is sleeping for now and will be checked again once he wakes up." At this, Kyungsoo breathed a sigh of relief.

"I would like to ask you what happened, as it appears there was quite a commotion in the cafeteria earlier that seemed to trigger Mr Kim's panic attack."

Kyungsoo and Sehun shared a look of understanding before Kyungsoo spoke up.

"Sir, there was an...incident that was caused by Moon Shijuk that would be the cause of this" he said quietly.

"And what exactly would this 'incident' be?" He asked. "Well sir, it's kind of a private matter...I don't think Jongin would want me to tell you without talking to him first" Kyungsoo said carefully. Mr Jung nodded.

"Very well, this matter shall be dealt with first thing tomorrow when Mr Kim has properly rested. Now, you boys need to go back to class"

Kyungsoo opened his mouth to protest, but was shot down before he could even say anything.

"No buts Mr Do, you and Mr Oh need to return to your class, Mr Kim is fine" he said, turning on his heel. Kyungsoo hung his head and sighed but didn't protest.

"Hyung?" Sehun said, before Kyungsoo could walk back to class. He turned to Sehun with a questioning look.

"Uh, I jutht want to thay thank you for coming after him ath well, you didn't have to but you did..." He said, smiling. Kyungsoo nodded with a small smile of his own.

"It's nothing, I was worried...say, you don't think that when he wakes up you could ask him to meet me by the front gates? I know you guys have last period together" he mumbled, feeling shy for asking. Sehun smiled.

"No problem Hyung, I'll tell him"

 

--

 

He glanced at the clock for the millionth time as he tapped his pen on the table impatiently. His biology lesson seemed to drag on forever and it was all he could do to stop himself sprinting out of the door as soon as the bell rang.

He the card and the doll in his bag, a small smile on his lips.

After he'd left Sehun, he had intended to go straight back to his lessons and wait for the day to be over so that he could speak to Jongin before the boy had a chance to run off. Instead, he'd walked the long way round through the canteen to calm himself down and think about what he was going to say.

He spotted a flash of blue in his peripheral vision and stopped to examine what it was. Turns out it was the pororo doll lying on the floor under a table. Carefully, he'd picked it up and swooned at the little gold letters reading 'Be my valentine?' on the heart, feeling a swarm of butterflies erupt in his heart at the thought that Jongin still remembered how much he loved pororo.

Glancing around the floor, he could see the small card a few feet away, sitting crumpled on the floor where it had been jostled by students rushing to their class. He'd read and re-read the card thrice before tucking it neatly in his bag with the doll.

Now, 2 whole hours later, he was rushing to the front gate in the hope that Jongin hadn't already left.

He scanned the courtyard from left to right and back again, looking for the familiar silhouette of his dongsaeng.

Just when he was about to give up hope, he saw Jongin speed walking towards the exit with a surprising speed and head staring defiantly at the floor. Kyungsoo rushed up to him, stopping the taller boy in his tracks.

When Jongin took a step to the side, Kyungsoo followed, hoping to get his attention. He smiled softly at him when he raised his head, and internally squealed at how red Jongins face had gone because cute.

"Jongin" he murmured softly.

"K-k-Kyungsoo hyu-hyung" the younger stuttered back, and Kyungsoo felt his heart swell with affection.

"Are you okay," what a stupid question to ask, of course he's not okay "I mean after you had an anxiety attack, you know, I just wanted to know if you were feeling a bit better? I was with Sehun when we found you.." He trailed off, not knowing how to bring up the actual incident.

Jongin nodded, putting a small smile in his face. He decided to just go for it.

"Jongin, about earlier-" just as he was planning to launch into some romantic speech about how much he actually liked the boy back, said boy interrupted him.

"I-it's okay, hy-hyung...I-I-didn't..y-you d-don't....I-I'm-I m-mean-ugh!" Kyungsoos eyes went wide as Jongin pulled harshly at his hair.

"Sorry" he whispered, looking frustrated. Kyungsoo shook his head and gently grabbed the tallers wrist, feeling warm at the contact, pulling them away from his hair.

"You don't have to be sorry, Jongin-ah, take your time" he said, his voice one that he would use to approach a scared child. He knew how frustrated Jongin got with his stutter; during their tutoring sessions together he would notice that Jongin would pull at his hair and bite his lip whenever he was annoyed that he couldn't get his words out.

"I-it's just...yo-you don't have t-t-to worry about my-my confess-confession....I-I-I don't mind...I k-know you d-d-don't like me li-like that" he mumbled.

Kyungsoo looked fondly at Jongin. "How?" He asked. This was it, he was going to put Jongin out of his misery.

"H-how?"

"Mhhmm, how do you know I don't like you like that? Who told you that?"

"Uh...m-me I guess...I-I don't re-really know"

Kyungsoo took a deep breath.

"Well, Kim Jongin" he spoke, raising his voice so that the gossip hungry students around them could hear. He wanted Jongin to know he didn't care about what the other people thought. He pulled out the card and the doll from his bag.

"We have known each other for a while and I honestly hoped that you took notice of the little things I did for you, because I intended to make you feel special. And of course I remember that time when you came running to me crying with a big gash on your knee from falling off the swing, and even though we were young then, I knew that I just hated seeing you hurt,"

Images of a teary eyed 6 year old Jongin flashed through his mind and he blushed thinking how cheesy everything sounded. It's not like he could help it though, the thought of Jongin actually getting hurt makes him feel almost nauseous.

"You don't have to hope for me to fall in love you with one day....because it's already happened, and I know that we'll be happy together because just seeing you makes me happy....I also happen to think that you are the most perfect human being ever, so yes, I accept your feelings and yes, I would love to be your valentine" he smiled, hoping that Jongin would know he was serious about this.

He chuckled silently to himself as he watched the gears in Jongins head turn, whilst the male continued to open and close his mouth like a fish. Rolling his eyes, he leaned in a pecked the male right on the lips. He felt heat rise to his own cheeks at his actions, but quickly pushed that Thought aside at Jongins disbelieving face.

"You okay?" He asked tentatively, wondering if maybe it was too much. Maybe Jongin wasn't ready for that and he just took his first kiss and oh god what if he hates me for taking his first kiss?!

He hadn't even realised that he'd taken hold of Jongins hand whilst panicking to himself.

"Yeah, A li-little o-overwhelmed, but goo-good..." He mumbled and Kyungsoo sighed in relief. He watched Jongin frown to himself and cocked his head to the side curiously.

"Are y-you su-sure hyung?" He asked, looking a little nervous.

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow. "Am I sure I want to be your valentine?" He clarified. Jongin nodded.

"Of course, why would you think otherwise?" He asked, a little hurt that Jongin thought he needed to rethink his decision. He squeezed Jongins hand slightly, hoping it would prompt him to explain himself.

"It's j-just I can't s-s-speak pr-properly, and there are l-lots of pretty g-girls t-that yo-you can choose f-from..."

Kyungsoo held himself back from finding all the people that made Jongin feel like he wasn't enough for anyone.

Instead he smiled encouragingly and shook his head. "I don't want a pretty girl Jongin, I want you! And I don't care that you stutter, I actually think it's really endearing, and it certainly doesn't define who you are"

There was a momentary pause before he nodded. "O-okay"

Kyungsoo felt so happy in that moment, before suddenly realising that being someone's Valentine doesn't necessarily mean that you're together. He decided to clear that up, just to be on the safe side.

"Hey, I've got one condition though" he said playfully, feeling Jongin tense up. He giggled and leaned In to whisper in Jongins ear.

"Be my boyfriend?"

He pulled back slightly to see Jongin blush and nod his head. He internally pranced about, finally his crush became his boyfriend!

"Good" he muttered, placing another kiss on Jongins lips.

Just as he was about to suggest going on a date hanging out together take it easy kyungsoo you've literally been together for 5 minutes, he heard clapping and turned around to find his two best friends and Sehun applauding them. He smiled bashfully.

"Finally! At least now I won't have to listen to Kyungsoo mope about how unfair it is that you're so cute all the time, I mean, don't get me wrong, he's totally right, but it was starting to become a bit repetitive" Baekhyun laughed, and Kyungsoo punched his friend lightly on the arm.

"And now I won't have to deal with Jongin thtaring at you from afar like thome love thtruck girl" Sehun added, making Kyungsoo laugh. The thought that his crush actually had a crush on him still had him feeling giddy, the feeling intensified when Jongin let out a cute whine and hid his face in his shoulder.

Kyungsoo couldn't help but notice how perfectly Jongins head fit in the crook of his neck.

Standing there for a few more minutes whilst the others conversed before leaving off, Kyungsoo smiled the whole way through the conversation.

"Stop smiling like that you creep, you're gonna scare the poor boy off" Baekhyun snorted, and Kyungsoo punched him again.

"Shut up" he said, sticking his tongue out.

"Hey look guyth, I think I need to go home now, my mother will be throwing a fit if I don't thow up thoon" Sehun said, checking the time on his watch. They all agreed, and headed out the gates together before going their separate ways.

Kyungsoo tried to think of a way to ask Jongin on a date without sounding like an idiot. Maybe it's too soon? he thought. Maybe I should start off small

"Hey Jongin, wanna come over? I need to tell mum about us, she's been bugging me since we were 5" Kyungsoo chuckled lightly, secretly crossing his fingers in hope. He could just picture his mothers face when he told her they were finally dating. She would be so happy for him!

"I can cook dinner?" He said, hoping it would be enough to persuade the male. It was.

"Sounds g-good, hyung"

Kyungsoo smiled. "Great! It's a date" he winked, mentally high fiving himself. Smooth, real smooth

The rest of the walk was in a comfortable silence, but Kyungsoo didn't mind. After all, his crush confessed to him after God knows how long, and his stomach had yet to stop doing flips as a result.

He squeezed the hand tangled with his, smile getting impossibly wider when the hand moved to shyly interlink their fingers.

Today was the best Valentine's Day ever.

He looked up and Jongin and pecked him on the cheek, causing a dusting of pink to cover Jongins tanned cheeks.

Yep. Definitely the best.

 


 

 

A/N: Yay its done! I dont think its as good as the first but I hope you enjoyed it regardless!!

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment, upvoting and subscribing :D

-River_Song ^_^ <3