Chapter 2

Shrouded in Mystery

The duration of class was dull, and Kyungsoo was itching to get out of there. Pulling his jacket sleeve back, he checked his watch, and smiled pleasantly, seeing that he wouldn't have to sit there much longer. He looked over at the disinterested Kai, who sat a few seats away from him. He intended to steal a quick glance, but ended up staring intensely. The lecture finally ended, and Kyungsoo realized his paper was blank- not a single note was taken. He groaned, knowing that there was going to be a quiz in the near future about the material they learned today, and without his notes, there was no way he'd pass. He sighed heavily, and gathered his things. He looked over once more to notice that he and Kai were the only two left in the class. He raised a brow as he watched Kai stare intently out the window. He still had his mechanical pencil pressed along the paper beneath it. He looked lost in thought, so maybe he wasn't aware that the class had ended. The short boy rounded his desk, and approached the guy. Kai didn't seem to notice his presence, so Kyungsoo stole a glance at his notebook. 'I don't want to be like this' Kyungsoo read the first line to himself and furrowed his brow. What the hell does that mean? He thought.

"Can I help you?" 

The sudden sound of his voice startled Kyungsoo. Meeting Kai's bored gaze, Kyungsoo laughed nervously. "I.. uh.." He cleared his throat. "I didn't get the notes, so I was wondering if I could copy yours." He admitted.

"You'd have your notes if you weren't busy gawking at me." Kai said flatly, and pulled a larger notebook from under the one he was previously writing in, and held it up to the short boy before him.

He saw me?! Kyungsoo silently cursed himself for not being able to control his glances. He shrugged, and took the notebook from him. "In my opinion, beautiful things deserve to be gawked at." He admitted without realizing it. Then, once he realized that he practically called Kai beautiful, he rushed to fix what he said. "I-I mean, not that you're beautiful.. Or not that you're not beautiful! I just meant-"

"I know what you meant." Kai said with a small, amused smile.

Kyungsoo whined, knowing just how much of a fool he made out of himself. Though, when Kai smiled, he could have sworn the sun that was consumed by grey clouds, fought it's way through to shine it's light only briefly. Did he just- no. It's a coincidence. Surely it is. Kyungsoo reassured himself, and thanked Kai for his notes. "Will you be around the campus later on? I can get this back to you in a few hours."

"I'll be in the library for a while after my classes. Once I find it, of course. You can give it to me then."

"Okay, great. Because, me and a friend of mine usually study there anyway."  Kyungsoo nodded, for some reason trying to keep the conversation going.

"I didn't ask." Kai stated, and shoved his things into his bag, leaving the room afterwards.

"What's his deal?" Kyungsoo scoffed, shortly leaving the room after Kai did.

---

In the library, there was idle chatter amoung the few students studying there. Midterms was ways away, so for some people, there wasn't much use for the library. Some people went to study, read, or just enjoy the atmosphere. On one side of the library, the side where the enterance from outside was, the walls were made of glass. Since it was always so sunny out, the administrastion thought it would be a good idea to have the glass walls installed in order to appreciate the beauty of the outdoors while studying. On the other side, the shelves of books and computers were line against the wall. And, in the middle were tables. It wasn't the biggest library, but what else would you expect from a community college?

"I've got a paper due tomorrow, and I'm not even close to finishing it." Xiumin sighed heavily, setting the books down that he gathered in order to finish whatever was left of his assignment. "So, I don't really wanna hear about a guy right now."

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "But, didn't you start that weeks ago? You should've been done by now." Kyungsoo was in the middle of copying the notes that Kai had given him earlier in the day, and didn't bother with looking at Xiumin.

"Yeah, but I took a break..." Xiumin laughed nervously.

"So, you're break lasted up until now?"

"Heh, Seems so."

After that, the two sat in silence as each of them had tasks that needed completing. Not much time went by, before Kyungsoo's hand started to cramp from the nonstop writing. "Man, did we seriously take this much notes?" He mumbled to himself while he shook his hand until it felt a bit better. In the middle of doing that, he heard the enterance door open, and when he looked to see who it was, he couldn't help but stare, yet again. "Xiumin, it's him! The one I told you about." He whispered, nudging his friend.

"That's him?" Xiumin asked when he looked up from his paper.

"No, I mean over there." Kyungsoo tried pointing without, you know, actually pointing. His eyes followed the man shrouded in mystery as he, yet again, picked a seat by the windows/walls. "There's something about him, Baozi."

"Hey, listen to me, you little ," Xiumin growled. "You're gonna stop caling me that!" 

Kyungsoo giggled, amused at how angry his sharp-eyed friend happened to get whenever he was called by that name. "Okay, okay. I'm sorry, but doesn't he look... weird?"

"What do you mean?"

Kyungsoo shrugged. "I'm not sure. He just looks so out of place. Like, he really doesn't belong here at all." And while he spoke, he watched Kai as he wrote in the same notebook from ealier. "But, he's new here, so.. Maybe he feels out of place. Maybe, that's why he seems so distant."

"Maybe, you're reading into it too much." Xiumin flipped through his book. "You like him?"

"He's attractive, but I don't think I do." 

"Then why are you staring at him so hard?"

"Like I said, he's attractive." Kyungsoo repeated. "I would like to get to know him better, though." He said mostly to himself. Once he finished copying the notes he needed, he stood, and left his friend's side. "Hey, Kai. Here's your notebook."

Looking up, Kai greeted him with a nod, and took his book away from the short boy once again standing in front of him. "I hope next time you pay attention."

"Not possible. Not when I can't seen to focus now that you're in my class."

"What's that suppose to mean?"

Kyungsoo in a deep breath, before sitting across from him. "I-I just mean-"

"That I'm a distraction?"

"Yes- I mean, no.... I don't know." Kyungsoo buried his face in his hands. Why was it so hard for him to talk around this guy? "I mean, I'm just really interested in getting to know you, since you're new and all. I wanna be your friend."

Kai laughed bitterly, having heard that statement many times in the past. People saying they wanted to know him, and be his friend, only to head for the hill as soon as they knew the truth about him. "Friends don't exist in my world." His words were sharp, and as he said this, the library lights flickered from the lightning cracking across the sky. "They exsist soely to betray you."

Kyungsoo looked outside. He was having a hard time believing that this was just the weather being unpredictable. Especially, after this being the second time Kai and the weather seemed to be in perfect synchronization. He then returned his attention to Kai, who no longer looked disinterested, but now looked annoyed. "I-I'm sorry, you're right." He apologized. "Thanks for the notes." He left Kai and returned to his friend who seemed to have saw the whole thing.

"So, what happened?" Xiumin asked.

"He says he doesn't want to be friends."

"Well, he doesn't know how persistent you are. He's in for a surprise, huh?"

"Actually, I think I'll just back off for now." Kyungsoo sighed. "But, there's something about him. I wanna find out what it is."

"He probably had a rough life. Maybe, he just doesn't feel like having people around him is important." Xiumin shrugged.

"You take Psychology once and now you think you're Sigmund Freud." Kyungsoo scoffed.