sanghyuk meets a curious old fellow

leaning on your shoulders

 

Sanghyuk was ready. He was ready to meet his family again after countless years of being separated and it was all just a coach-ride away.

He had been sent away to live with his grandmother when he was just a little boy of six years old due to his parents messy divorce and lost all contact with them.

Sanghyuk didn’t mind though. At first he was a little upset about being separated from his parents.

But his grandmother was a kind old lady, and quickly filled up the space in his heart that his parents had left.

Sanghyuk was thankful to his grandmother. He had heard of times where parents having a chaotic divorce had a massive impact on the child emotionally.

But his grandmother didn’t allow that, and cut off all communication between Sanghyuk and his parents.

That was until about a month ago where he received a letter pleading to come back into contact again.

His dearest parents missed him and although they ended on a bad note, they promised to behave around each other as long as Sanghyuk flew over and stayed with them for two months.

 

He was waiting at the coach depot, rucksack in hand, eagerly anticipating what the long drive was going to bring him.

He was watching a bespectacled old man slyly observing a mother struggling to control her two children, making copious notes in the process.

The old man scratched at his balding head, his expression turning to confusion. Sanghyuk realised he had a burning curiosity towards the peculiar old man  then decided to stop leaning against the wall and sit besides him.

They both sat in silence as the man continued scribbling hurriedly in his notebook.

“Excuse me” Sanghyuk began. Great! He didn’t even know what he was going to say to the stranger sat next to him…

“Um… You don’t know me so I’m sorry if I’m being a little forward…” Sanghyuk stopped mid-sentence as the old man looked up. The man’s cat-like eyes were knowing and wise and had a hint of playfulness in them.

“You want to know what I am writing.” His voice was surprisingly soft in contrast to the almost unapproachable and slightly eccentric vibe he seemed to be giving off.

 

Sanghyuk nodded his head. “Sorry” He had felt somewhat ashamed to be so upfront to someone he barely even knew, especially an elder.

Sanghyuk was just so impulsive and it had gotten him in trouble before, so he waited to hear a lecture from the old man.

“It’s okay Sanghyuk; it’s only natural to be curious. I’m actually glad you came and asked me” the old man gave a warm smile to the nervous Sanghyuk.

“But I think we should get to know each other better, don’t you?”

Sanghyuk nodded and came to sudden realisation, his eyebrows knotted in confusion.

“Sir… How did you know my name?” he questioned.

“Just call me Taekwoon-sshi, sir sounds weird” he stated and went back to scribbling furiously.

Sanghyuk found this odd, but decided to comply anyway.

“Okay Taekwoon-sshi, but that still doesn’t answer my question…” Sanghyuk prompted.

Taekwoon sighed and put down his pen.

“So curious yet so unobservant” he mused.

Taekwoon turned to face an eager Sanghyuk. “Look at your rucksack”

Sanghyuk looked down at the huge rucksack he was holding and surely enough, there was his name in bold, black capitals screaming his stupidity right at his face.

 

Taekwoon let out a throaty chuckle as Sanghyuk’s mouth formed an O-shape.

Hyuk then made a face at the elder as if he was offended at Taekwoon laughing at him and after a moment’s silence the two burst out into laughter.

Sanghyuk had found out a lot about Taekwoon, how he had enjoyed playing soccer as a young lad, how he used to charm all the girls in high school with his angelic voice and talent with words and how he was going to meet some family friends that he had lost contact with for decades. The son of his best friend had invited him over so that Taekwoon could meet his late friend’s grandchild at his return.

Since they had much in common, (Sanghyuk was extremely talented when it came to singing too, but preferred dancing) they quickly became friends and promised to meet each other when they had time.

“So you’re going to stay for two months with your parents who didn’t even acknowledge you for 14 years?” Taekwoon asked, clearly shocked by what he was hearing.

“That’s the plan! I mean, they’re still my parents after all so it’s I guess it’s the right thing to do” Sanghyuk explained.

 

 

“That’s bull if you ask me” Taekwoon stated. Sanghyuk stared at him with wide-eyes as Taekwoon rolled his.

“What?” Sanghyuk asked the elder. He didn’t expect the older to have used such language, and then mentally reminded himself not to assume things.

“You’re going for two months but you only have a rucksack, that’s what!” Taekwoon pointed out.

Sanghyuk was a firm believer in packing light.

“So are you going to tell me what you were writing in your book, since we’ve gotten to know each other a bit” Sanghyuk asked once again.

Taekwoon straightened his back and contemplated on whether he should tell the young boy or not.

No, he wasn’t ready to tell him just yet so he shook his head “Not yet Sanghyuk, we still have bonding to do”.

Sanghyuk scowled earning him a swift whack on the head courtesy of Jung Taekwoon.

 

Minutes later of Sanghyuk trying to sneak a glance at Taekwoon’s notebook, the coach had finally arrived.

Sanghyuk helped the elder up and made a bee-line for the baggage compartment.

He faced one of the hardest decisions up to date, one that would affect the next 18 or so hours that he would be spending on this coach. Was he going to take his rucksack with him or place it in the compartment?

After standing there alone like a lost puppy, he suddenly remembered his grandmother’s words.

Hyuk-ah, no matter what happens; promise me you’ll stick to that rucksack like glue.

His grandmother had stressed time and time again to keep his rucksack with him.

Sanghyuk understood as it used to belong to his late grandfather so it was only natural for her to worry.

“Thanks grandma” he whispered to himself.

 

Sanghyuk turned around, crashing straight into a complete stranger dropping her abundance of bags and making a huge mess.

He stood frozen in fear staring at the pile of bags on the floor. Sanghyuk’s stupidity strikes again.

“I’m SO sorry, oh wow, here let me help you” he said concerned and went to pick up one of the girl’s bags.

“I can do it myself” she stated coldly, collecting her belongings.

Who does this girl think she is? Sanghyuk thought as he tried to catch a glimpse of her face. He had little luck, she was looking down.

Oh well, at least I tried to help her…

 

---------------------------------------------------

Please give my story some love! It's my first time writing a fic so I would appreciate it if you told me what you thought!

If enough people like it then maybe I'll upload the next chapter...

I have the hugest urge to write 'comment, like, subscribe!' lmao maybe I watch too many youtube videos~

A.