Green

Beyond the Hands of a Clock

Green is the colour of the leaves that adorned the gardens of their home; a colour of growth and of rejuvenation; a colour of humility.

It was her favourite colour—a hue so vibrant yet calming to the eye, a hue that she would never get tired of loving—she would always say.

He would agree everytime.

He would agree, because it was the hue of her sparkling irises.

He would agree, because they were vibrant.

He would agree, because they were calming.

He would agree, because he fell in love with those eyes.



It had been months ever since that traumatic incident happened, yet it was fortunate of him, who was deemed quite a dilettante person to be able to adapt into such a complex situation. Eventually, he had been fond of being called the cool kid, the Mr. Popular, the cute skateboarder guy, the fifteen year old genius, and Zelo. Yes, Zelo. It then dawned upon him that people called him that even before the entire identity crisis happened, and that it was only his friends who called him by his real name. It was a unique concept, in his perspective.

At least he knew that he wasn’t the kind of person who would show his true self on unacquainted people.

As the clock continued its ticking, Junhong learned to love the life given to him in school. His friends were one of a kind, and it took quite some time to actually accept the fact that he was one of them—that he was also extraordinary.

Funny how he was a completely different person and at the same time, he was also being himself.

Junhong liked the attention he constantly got, and from time to time he’d feel like that’s what he’s supposed to do, where he’s supposed to be. But there are moments when he’d feel like, all the limelight given to him was too much of a thing to handle, and that’s when everything zapped him. About his lost memory, his hidden identity, the cause of everything—the cause of why he’s in this life in the first place.

He couldn’t admit to himself that the empty feeling was gone—no. In fact, he could still feel its presence inside him. And the more he pondered about such things, the more it would eat up every positive feeling that remained in him. It constantly haunted him that the intricacy of the situation was severe, that sometimes Junhong would wonder to himself how he was able to tolerate the pain.

And that was when he would remember that there was one thing that pushed him to carry on.

That one thing he once thought was non-existent fuelled his optimism.

That tad of faith that he found in a place he expected the least.

That tiny spark of hope he felt, the moment his skin brushed hers in a sea of countless people.

Only that, he had to find out who that girl was.



Typical day it was, and Junhong was unexceptionally playing his role of being that typical student in a typical school.

Math was never the boring subject to him. Some may have had the impression of him as the popular kid who stayed in his lane and not even bothered to prioritize his academics, but boy were they wrong. Junhong surprisingly excelled in that certain subject area, and it wasn’t that much of a big deal to his classmates—it’s like they were used to it, even. And the lad was more than relieved to have learned that attribute of him, because at least, he was doing a good job in trying to adapt.

It was a habit that their professor would ask a trick question everyday, having Junhong giving the correct answers everytime, but it seemed as if it wasn’t the day to repeat that routine.

To his shock, the way he eagerly raised his hand was left ignored as the professor decided to call a different student for a change. It was then until a female was called, and for some unknown reason, Junhong took notice of the said student.

The girl was tall, for her gender. She had a slender physique, which complemented her towering height very well. Despite that, it was evident that she wasn’t confident with her body, considering how her frame was literally covered up in an oversized sweater and a skirt too long to match her outfit. Not to mention how she gawkily stood up from her seat, with hands fidgeting with the edges of her floral sweater, her head hung low.

Her face was barely seen; due to the way she took the advantage to hide it with the wavy cascades of her long, strawberry blonde hair. Junhong unconsciously tilted his head to the side, hoping to see a clearer view of the female, yet her locks weren’t giving him much credit.

Why she was trying to hide her face—he did not know.

His eyes darted to the way her feet shuffled in a rather sluggish yet placid manner as she made her way towards the front, only to have been oddly distracted by the carved perfection of her milky white legs. It took him a few seconds to realize his incongruity, and with that he felt his cheeks slowly warming at the absurd thought.

Though at some point, he felt something fluttering inside him.

It seemed as if the awkwardness in her actions ringed a slight sense of familiarity—it was like Junhong had seen it a thousand times before.

How weird was that?

Clearly, he hadn’t noticed her presence before, but as he finally took a glimpse of the slightly pink-haired female’s upper facial features, it was like something ignited from inside of him.

Something about her eyes…

He didn’t know what, he didn’t know why, but whatever it was, it caused him to drown himself into those orbs—taking in the brilliance of the colour of those striking eyes, a mixture of olive green and gray and a spark of something else.. Something so genuine and awfully familiar yet he couldn’t exactly point out what it was.

Beautiful was not a proper description of what he saw in a split second. It was more than gorgeous or attractive. It wasn’t even close to perfect, at all.

It was beyond a thousand words.

Junhong cringed.

The lad eventually snapped out of his reveries, falling back to reality as he tried to bury all those thoughts in nonchalance. He tried to dodge his gaze on her, yet it was as if his eyes had a life on their own and continued recognizing the presence of the female, even if she had already solved the equation and took her seat long ago.

What was he doing, exactly?

He had no idea.


A/N: Finally updated! A bit short, but tell me what you think? ♡