Prologue

Beyond the Hands of a Clock

It all started when he woke up in a room.

The moment he opened his eyes, he squinted at the welcoming sight of blinding rays of the sun beyond the glass windows. He adjusted to the sight, whilst becoming aware of the growing discomfort inside his stomach. His hands roamed around his dwelling, and eventually felt something soft and cold that enclosed his bare skin like sheets—cotton. They were cotton blankets.

His mouth was agape; he was in some person’s bed.

Instinctively, he bolted out from the spot and in due course fell face first on the carpeted floor. His eyes widened from uttermost shock, then found himself prone to the churning of anxiety and fear inside his stomach once more—only that, it felt worse.

With shaky feet, he scrambled off to the corner of the room, eyeing the place as if it was the scariest thing he had ever seen. It seemed fine, though. Carpeted floors, walls painted in streaks of black and white, huge fluffy bed, towering cabinets and drawers, numerous skateboards hanging on the walls, flat screen TV along with a bunch of video game consoles—it was a modern paradise. Too good enough to be fine, even, since it practically was bliss to any guy out there.

His gaze shifted sideward, meeting an odd reflection in a mirror—it was a half- lanky guy, obnoxiously tall, with weird, shaggy silver-ish hair with green highlights, and facial contours that was nearly similar to a good looking toddler. He looked young, like he was still sixteen? Seventeen?

And it all seemed too surreal.

The harsh, foreign reality literally clouted him in the face as he realized; was that supposed to be him?

Despite the fact that the scene before him literally kept his mouth ajar, he couldn’t help himself from setting the thought aside because basically, it was not fine at all.

It wasn’t fine that he suddenly woke up without a single fragment of his memory. It wasn’t fine that he was in a neat place that someone probably owned. It wasn’t fine that he was in some guy’s body, not knowing what to do, or how to react or how to get out of this mess.

It was definitely not fine at all.

For a minute, he was stunned to silence, until a knock was heard from behind the door.

"Junhong?" A female voice called out. Was she referring to him? That was his name, right?

He didn’t know who that girl was, but he figured that he was that Junhong, and that he was supposed to answer.
With a shaky voice, he responded. "Y-Yeah?" It turned out to be quite the squeak, but then he coughed and repeated. "Yeah. What?" His voice was louder and clearer.

"Good. You’re awake." There was sarcasm in her voice and he thought he heard her release an annoyed grunt. He thought he was mishearing things, but he was wrong, unfortunately. "Now get your lazy off that bed and prepare for school or else I’ll eat your breakfast!" The shout was surprising, and it sure did wake up his senses.
The look of horror crossed his face when the female angrily threatened him, despite that feeling in his gut that it might have been done on a daily basis—being shouted at for being a heavy sleeper.

Junhong then took a quick shower, despite his uneasiness. He opened his dresser and took out a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt after realizing that maybe they didn’t wear uniforms in school. His eyes darted around his room once again and landed on a grey backpack. He slipped on some chucks, dressed up in his casuals, and took the bag as he headed outside the room.

Regardless of him being in trouble, he still remained cautious and studied the household since he practically had no idea on where to go. Outside his room led to a hallway that physically cried contemporary—polished black tiles, grey tainted walls ornamented with sleek black and white framed abstract paintings, above were horizontal light bulbs covered in expensive looking glassworks and it appeared to him that the entire place was centralized with an air conditioning unit. Even as he went forth, came glass walls that looked over the living room which was located downstairs, and across it was the dining room wherein a couple of people are dining blithely.

As he registered the scene before him, Junhong hurriedly located the stairway—which was unbelievably made out of glass and metal that didn’t fail to escalate his astonishment, once again—and headed towards the dining room.

He set his eyes upon the people in the dining room, and they immediately took notice of his presence.
That was when he was able to distinguish that there were only three of them, he realized, and all of them are females.

His gaze shifted to a tall female, with straight long brown hair and milky white skin. Unlike him who had an awkward set of facial features, hers was a more prettified version of his baby face. The gaze from her crescent shaped eyes was soft and serene, like she was one of those shy type kinds of good girls in movies. She was quite young, though he seemingly suspected that she was not the same age as his—maybe a few years older or so.

Beside her was a much older brunette. She was not that kind of old though, just a bit mature looking. She was tall as well, taller than the younger girl, in fact. Her facial features were sharp, especially with those piercing brown eyes and high set of cheekbones. Unlike the previous girl, she had tanned skin, her hair was a darker shade of brown and was cut into mid length shaggy waves.

Across the two younger females was a middle aged woman with short black hair, tied into a ponytail. Looking at her made him think that the previous two were her daughters, because her physical attributes were a mixture of both. She was tall, like the others. She had sharp facial outlines like the second girl—sharp and daunting, but her eyes and her smile was similar to the first one—lenient and full of bare emotions.

Junhong figured that the woman was his mother, and the two girls were his sisters—and that he was practically gawking at them for like a minute or so.

He didn’t know what he was supposed to do, but his mouth curled up to a small smile. "Um, good morning?" To his ignorance, they all flashed him bizarre looks as he took his seat beside his mother.

There was silence for approximately five seconds.

"Are you sick or something?" The older brunette questioned, and it dawned to him that she was the girl who woke him up earlier. Her left eyebrow was quirked, filled with a huge portion of pancakes.

"Don’t talk with food in your mouth, Sooyoung." Their mom chided, though he sensed that slight quiver in her voice. "Just let your brother eat first." She glanced at him sideways. He met her eyes for a brief moment and he was sure he saw the distant look her gaze held, and no doubt it implanted a question in his mind. He was downright confused, alright.

Despite how the lad felt nervous of being oblivious of almost everything, he tried to act as normally as he could—he poured milk in his glass and took two strips of bacon and a piece of toast from the serving plate across him.
Once again, the three had questioning stares towards him.

"Um, Junhong." It was then his other sister spoke up, immediately snapping him in the middle of drinking his milk with her soft but bothered voice.

He blinked. "Yeah?"

She pursed her lips and leaned closer to the table. "You’re lactose intolerant, remember?"

He was frozen in place for a moment before realization hit him hard. Slowly distancing the glass from his lips, his eyes suddenly found his plate more interesting than withholding their baffled stares. "Oh yeah, I just… suddenly craved for something... dairy." He shakily put some orange juice in an empty glass and drank it instead.
"Weird." His older sister, Sooyoung, replied almost immediately. "You hate dairy." She stated bluntly. "Are you sure you’re not sick?" Junhong could feel her burning gaze on him, as if she was digging for answers by simply scrutinizing his every action.

He shook his head in response, instead of talking back, and put up a blank and uncaring expression. Maybe it would make her stop with the questions if he did—he thought—and so far, it was a success.

Unlike a few minutes ago, the three who were happily chatting while eating without him became oddly peaceful, it was as if he was a threat to their supposedly joyful breakfast. A lot of negative thoughts eventually clouded his mind, was he doing a good job? His expression dimmed, obviously not.

Junhong abruptly lost his appetite. He didn’t know what to feel exactly. Should he be happy, that he had an awesome lifestyle? Should he be anxious, that people are questioning his actions? Should he be disappointed in himself, because he couldn’t adapt to everything? Or should he be scared, because he was lost, and he didn’t know what to do but to go with it?

By the time he could feel his façade slowly breaking, his mom spoke up. "Sooyoung, look at the time. You should go and drop Jinri and Junhong to school." She said, damping a table napkin against the edges of .
Junhong took in a sharp breath. School, he was supposed to go to school. He was supposed to mingle with unfamiliar students and pretend as if it was an ordinary day.

Notwithstanding of his reluctance, he eventually stood up and drank the remaining orange juice from his glass. Sooyoung and Sulli kissed their mom on the cheek before they headed out, and Junhong decided to follow their actions.

Placing a kiss on his mom’s cheek, he then exited the household and followed his two sisters inside the car.
Inside the dining room, their mother sat still, her fingers touching the exact spot where her son had implanted his lips on and wondered why.

Why would Junhong do such an act of affection?
 



He shuddered at the view in front of him. Just a few seconds ago, the halls were crowded with countless of students minding their own businesses, but the moment he stepped in, suddenly all eyes were on him—eyes filled with scrutiny, attraction, feigned admiration, envy, and the most bothersome of all, fear.

What the hell was happening?

He tried not to meet their gazes. His grip on the strap of his bag tightened as he took a deep breath. Junhong shook the unwanted thoughts away for the hundredth time and tried to act as normal as he could. He walked along the corridors, yet the moment the students parted a path for him to walk along as if he was someone so high; it disturbed him—a lot.

Who was he supposed to be?

Even though he tried to push everything away, questions never failed to fill his mind and he couldn’t do anything about it. He screwed up big time, and yet he didn’t know why this was happening to him.

"Junhong!" His head snapped towards the direction of the deep unfamiliar voice. Behind him were a few guys and it seemed as if people looked at them the same way as they did to him. He could only hold on to that little hope inside of him that they were connected to him at some point.

They were two guys dressed up fashionably in their casuals as well, with charisma oozing on both of them as they greeted him with a good old grin. One had dark red hair, the other was blonde—and he’s supposed to be the green haired freak?—Junhong cringed.

Studying them from a distance, they seemed like they were like the flower boys of the campus, since all of them are undoubtedly attractive in their own personal way, and he could see most of the girls drooling at the sight of them.

That was when he felt dumb. So he was supposed to be one of them? He winced.

He could only blink and return a stiff, cautious smile. "Uh, hey…?"

"Hey… Chanyeol." The so-called red haired guy, Chanyeol, corrected. The blonde guy squinted at him, his suspicions increasing with each wrong word Junhong spat out. "Are you okay?"

The lad was about to open his mouth for another alibi when Chanyeol cut him off.

"Man, where were you?" He asked. When Junhong took a closer look at him, he realized that he was tall and lean; almost the same height as him but Junhong was probably a few inches taller. He had big round eyes and a creepy smile that showed some kind of weird charm like it was a natural thing for him to wear. His ears were quite huge and pointy—almost symmetrical to the way his eyes were all round and large—which made him look like a giant dwarf.

Junhong blinked once again. "I was back at home?"

"Well that’s kinda weird." Chanyeol murmured, and he knew for the fact that he was being suspected of his odd behaviour and it was not good at all. "You’re always eager to meet us up at the skate park before going to school.." The guy continued, and Junhong suddenly realized why there were a lot of skateboards hung up on the walls of his room. He turned to look at his friends and noticed how both of them were carrying skateboards of their own.

The lad felt his face flushing with warm colours out of sheer humiliation.

"I – uh, I wasn’t feeling well, actually." He lied, flashing a nervous smile.

Almost immediately, the other put up his disturbing grin once again, and it made Junhong release a relieved sigh at the guy for buying his excuse. It wasn’t exactly that easy making up alibis for his being a failure, and so far it was working all too well.

He then took notice of the other guy—if Chanyeol the dwarf guy was all creepy smiles and sunshines, this one was all poker face and dull skies. Although he figured that the guy was the cold, intimidating type, he couldn’t deny the fact that he was charismatic and born with quite the looks. His hair was a combination of blonde and the color of snow, he was also tall—he didn’t know why almost everyone had the good heights and all—but lanky, like him.

All in all, as of what he had observed from his so called friends, they were both damn attractive. And by the time he had recalled the way he looked, he wasn’t that bad at all to be recognized as a nobody. It was obvious enough that a lot of students recognized them because of their looks—probably with the weird hues of their hair—and how they nailed the art of skateboarding. However, that very fact sent more of the uneasiness surfacing inside his stomach.

Who was he exactly to be looked up to that much?

It felt so wrong, in so many ways.

With his state of the art confused expression, the blonde guy took the chance to place his hand against his forehead. "Dude, you’re pale." He said, and Chanyeol immediately agreed. "Sehun’s right. You should go to the clinic or something."

"Good idea." Junhong answered with a faltering voice, his expression dimming with fretfulness. "I guess I’ll see you later." Not bothering with their replies, the guy hurriedly left the middle of the corridors and dashed away—trying hard to process the information that had just sunk into his head.

His friends’ names were Sehun and Chanyeol.

They’re popular.

And he didn’t know where his feet were taking him.

He ended up reaching a secluded place in the back area of the campus where no one often visited.

At the sight of a bench, he immediately sat down.

Junhong ruffled his hair in defeat. He could feel his legs nearly melting at the intensity of the feeling that’s buried underneath his chest. The feeling of being lost, wanting to get out, but for some reason, he couldn’t. He knew it wouldn’t. It was hopeless. He was hopeless.

To him, that moment—it was absurd.

He didn’t get the point on why he had to wake up in someone else’s life, with countless of question marks clouding his mind; how he was supposed to cope with everything unfamiliar to his eyes; how he had to pretend to be someone he’s not; how he had to bear the feeling of being oblivious to everything, and trying hard to find out who he’s supposed to be, and what he's supposed to do…

He didn’t get the point of everything.

No matter how hard he tried to rake his mind of something, of anything useful, more or less answers to his undying questions; Junhong would end up with nothing as an answer.

It took him hours in that place. He just kept thinking and thinking. Even though there was probably nothing much to think about due to his lost memory, he just sat there and thought for so long.

Who did this to him?

Was he just suffering from amnesia?

Was he just dreaming?

Was he traumatized by something before, which put him into this state?

Was there someone who actually knew about this?

Why was he even suffering this much?

Was there even an answer to any of those above?

He felt empty, and he didn’t know what would complete the space he had in himself.

It was hell.. that kind of feeling. And he learned to detest it.

But he wouldn’t go anywhere if he’d continue sulking like that, he thought. He should at least live the life given to him, right?

Maybe the answers are just ahead, and he just needed to find them.

"Right. Maybe I just need to find them." He waveringly told himself, forcing a tight smile. He might have looked like a hopeless wimp, but if there’s one thing that he should do, it’s that he should go on.

After all, what else is left to do?

The school bell rang at the right time.

Junhong then stood up, pricked with a tad of optimism at last. The tight smile eased up eventually, as he found himself going back to the hallways packed with students heading towards their own different destinations in mind.

From his previous wretched state, he was covered up in a normal teenage boy façade.

Along the way, students sent him the awestruck stares, he decided to flash a little smile and it was enough to cause a near death situation for most of the girls in the halls.

Despite his slight uneasiness, Choi Junhong played along.



A/N: So so sorry for the seriously late update. No precious joylo moments yet, but do tell me what you think--