Chapter 6: A Rude Awakening

Agent Provocateur

"Rise and shine!" Joonmyeon's overly cheery voice rang through the hallway. "Everybody, get up, meeting in the conference room in an hour!"

A chorus of groans echoed through the hall, some louder than others.

"Joonmyeon, it's so early!" Zitao whined.

"Busy day," Joonmyeon said, ignoring the boy's comment. "Hurry up, everyone!"

Minseok groaned again and finally rolled out of bed when he heard a quiet knock on the door. Opening it, he saw Joonmyeon beaming at him.

"Good morning, Minseok, Yixing! You two don't have to report to the conference today."

"Why not?" Minseok asked, confused. Yixing's arms wrapped around his waist and he smiled, turning his head to peck the younger's cheek.

"We're starting duo missions today, and Yixing isn't in much of a condition to participate," Jongdae said, appearing by Joonmyeon's shoulder. "Joonmyeon is making me stay out too, even though I'm fine."

"You're not fine," Joonmyeon said, squeezing Jongdae's hand and looking at him worriedly. Minseok rolled his eyes.

"I am so damn fine," Jongdae responded, wiggling his eyebrows. "And you know it."

"Okay, well, thanks for telling us," Yixing said happily. "Get well soon, Jongdae. Come on, Minseokkie." He gently tugged on Minseok's waist, trying to pull him back to their shared bed. Minseok smiled and closed the door.

He walked back to bed with Yixing's arms around his waist, laying down. He pulled Yixing into bed with him, pressing his chest against Yixing's back very gently, placing a little kiss on his shoulder.

"Minseokkie?" Yixing whispered.

"Yes?"

"Thanks for taking care of me."

"Of course, Yixing."

"When you get sick, I'll take care of you."

"I know you will."

They laid in silence for a very long time before Yixing rolled over to give Minseok a quick peck, tucking his head into the elder's neck.

"I love you," Yixing muttered.

"I love you too."

------------

"All right," Joonmyeon said, taking a seat in the conference room. Everyone else sat as well, except for anyone who was missing. Some didn't sit on chairs, though.

"Kyungsoo, can you please get off Jongin's lap?" Jongdae said, sighing. "And Zitao, you get off of Kris's lap. Sheesh."

"," Zitao muttered as he made a face at Jongdae. Jongdae threw his head back in laughter and smiled.

"Still tired?"

"Obviously," Kris answered for him.

"Well, that's unfortunate," Joonmyeon said, "Because you two are starting off duo missions today."

Zitao's eyes widened.

Kris raised his eyebrows.

"Your target is-"

"Wait, wait, wait, hold on." Kris interrupted, looking shocked. "We're starting duo missions? Why now?"

"Because it's been too long since we tested how much your emotions get in the way."

"Sehun and I practically had a duo mission not that long ago!" Luhan protested.

"And then you two ended up almost ing in the hotel room afterwards," Jongin said, smirking.

"To be fair, it was an expensive room," Sehun pointed out.

"I paid for it!" Joonmyeon exclaimed. Jongdae laughed again.

"Calm down, Joonmyeon." He hit Joonmyeon's shoulder teasingly.

"Maybe I want to Luhan in an expensive room," Sehun said. Luhan's face turned bright red. "Then I'd remind him that he's more priceless than everything in there."

"You just want to Luhan in general," Jongin said.

"Can you blame me?" Sehun got up and straddled Luhan, grinding into his lap and on his neck, making the other throw his head back and moan loudly. "He sounds amazing," Sehun concluded as he sat back down.

"Sehun, don't do that!" Luhan yelled, hiding his face in his hands and standing up to leave the room.

"Luhan! Sit," Joonmyeon commanded.

"Joonmyeon, let him go." Jongdae said. "And let Sehun go, too. They're not in missions today. You can always lecture them later if you need to."

Sighing, Joonmyeon gestured for them to leave, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Anyways. Duo missions. All murders," Jongdae started.

"You'll all be working at night," Joonmyeon said. "There will be no backup available for you unless someone volunteers. You are at the level at which you are believed to be strong enough to do this alone."

"But last time-" Zitao started.

"Zitao, we'll be fine," Kris cut in. "I'll be fine. Besides, you know that most times, the targets aren't prepared for anything. I'll be fine," he repeated.

"Zitao, Kris, you two are starting off duo missions. Get your earpieces from your rooms and report back here. Everyone else is dismissed." Feet tapped against the marble floor as people left.

"Hey, not you!" Joonmyeon said, pulling on Jongdae's arm. "You can't leave!" Jongdae rolled his eyes.

"And why not?"

"Because I want you to stay here with me."

"Okay." Joonmyeon sat down and Jongdae sat on his lap.

"Hey! You can't sit on my lap. It's a bad example!"

"Then I'm leaving."

Joonmyeon sighed and put his arms around Jongdae's waist, making the younger smile.

"I knew you wanted me here."

Kris rolled his eyes and threw his arm around Zitao's shoulders, sighing.

"Well, come on," Kris mumbled. The couple shuffled out of the room, walking to the elevator.

"Kris," Zitao said, putting his hand on Kris's arm before he could push the elevator button. "Are you sure you'll be okay?"

"Zitao, I'm fine. You worry too much."

"Can you blame me?"

"Yes, I can." Kris answered, pushing the elevator button. Zitao rolled his eyes. "I'm not fragile, Zitao."

"You are though. And it's my job to make sure you don't break."

"I appreciate it and all, but-"

The elevator door opened and Zitao pulled him in, hugging him before letting him get them back to floor 19.

"It's my job to take care of you, Kris. I want to." Kris sighed and went through the standard elevator process: inserting his card, punching in his code, 2AØS (and they had the Ø button specially installed just for Kris and Kyungsoo, because they didn't want to just use a normal O), and pushed the button for floor 19.

Zitao pulled him in for a kiss immediately after the button was pushed, tangling his fingers in Kris's soft hair. After recovering from the shock, Kris looped one arm around Zitao's waist, tugging him closer. He tilted his head, deepening the kiss, the other hand going up to cup his cheek. It didn't last very long because the elevator beeped for them to get out and Zitao pulled away, covering his face. He walked out of the elevator, Kris hot on his heels, and began heading towards their room.

"Are you crying?" Kris asked, genuinely concerned.

"Please don't get hurt, Kris, I don't want to lose you," Zitao said, his voice cracking. "The last time, when I thought you were gone, I-"

"I heard you sobbing in our room one day." Zitao's eyes widened.

"When?"

"Not long after I got back."

"Before you'd even recovered?"

"Yeah."

"Why did you get out of the infirmary, you dumbie?" Zitao hit Kris's chest gently. "Why did they let you out?"

"They didn't. I snuck out. I wanted to see you, but..." Kris stopped, turned, and looked Zitao in the eyes. "I couldn't face you. It hurt me so much to see you like that. I promise you, I'll never get hurt again."

"You can't promise that, Kris... I wish you could, though."

"Then I promise I'll try my hardest not to."

Zitao said nothing as he walked into their room and grabbed their earpieces, tossing one to Kris. When they got into the elevator, Zitao rested his head on Kris's shoulder, completely silent.

------------

"You ready?"

"Ready," Kris and Zitao said together.

"Move in."

Zitao walked up to the front door and knocked, plastering a fake smile on his face.

"Hello!" Zitao said with fake cheeriness, quickly surveying the target.

She was a shorter girl who didn't look much older than twenty. Her black hair was short, barely passing her ears, and she had it tucked behind her ears, revealing at least three piercings on her right ear and four on her left. Her lipstick made her lips red and she had grey eyeshadow. She had what appeared to be a tattoo of a dragon with red scales on her neck and shoulders, the head of which poked out from her dress. She was wearing a flowing scarlet dress that went down to about her knees and tall black boots to acompany it. An intricate tattoo of black swirls ran all the way down her left leg.

"I'm Zitao, and I-"

"You're cute," she interrupted. "Would you like to come in?"

Zitao blinked. That was easier than expected.

"Yeah, I'd like that, thanks."

She moved out of the way to let him in. He stepped in and heard the door lock behind him. He turned around and saw a gun pointed between his eyes.

"I know why you're here," she said. "My name is Yunseo. Sit," she said, pointing to the couch with her left hand. Zitao walked cautiously over to the couch.

"You've got the wrong girl, by the way. You're looking for my sister. I, however, know where she is, and am willing to tell you if you let me help catch her."

"Then why do you have a gun to my head?" He asked, immediately regretting how snarky he sounded.

"Oh, you're a smartass." Her finger gently tapped the trigger.

"I'm sorry," Zitao quickly said.

"You better be."

"So, your sister. Where is she?"

"You could at least be polite, Zitao," she said mockingly.

"Could you please tell me where your sister is?" Zitao said, grinding his teeth.

"Oh, that's a bad attitude. I don't like that."

"I'm sorry," Zitao apologized again.

"No, you're not. You're not sorry at all. Do you know what happens to liars?"

"Please, don't shoot."

She moved the gun up and down, then pointed it back at his forehead.

"Liars get what they deserve."

She pulled the trigger.

Zitao jumped to the left, falling to the ground.

"It was a blank." Yunseo laughed and threw the gun to the side, then kicked Zitao in the stomach.

Zitao grabbed Yunseo's foot as she wound up for the next kick and twisted it, making her fall into the glass coffee table. The fragile glass shattered and she fell on it, cutting her am. She pulled herself up as quickly as she could and running over to a suit of armor she had on display, grabbing the katana from its hands. Zitao scrambled to get up just as quickly, ignoring the burning pain in his side.

She ran forward, trying to stab him, but Zitao dodged to the side and grabbed her wrist. He swung around behind her and shoved her into the wall, then threw her onto the ground. He grabbed her sword and tossed it off to the side, completely forgetting about it.

"Liars get what they deserve," he said. He tried to kick her, but she rolled away and got up again, disappearing into another room.

, Zitao thought. Where the hell will she be going? I can't follow her. He looked around for something he could use to aid him. Anything at all. But he found nothing.

An arm around his neck.

The sound of metal as it scraped on the floor.

He desperately tugged at her arm, trying to get her to let go.

He couldn't breathe.

He looked over and noticed the sword was broken - obviously a cheap one. The blade had been snapped so the blade that still stuck out from the hilt was about five centimeters long. It was in her hand. She shoved his back towards the wall, a demonic smile crossing her face.

She raised her hand.

She plunged the broken blade into his side.

He screamed.

She pulled the blade out.

"How bad does it hurt?" Yunseo said, laughing. "You deserve it."

She raised her arm again, aiming for his chest.

He braced himself as tears rolled down his face.

This was it.

He ed up.

Goodbye, Kris, he thought.

Time seemed to flow in slow motion.

Her arm started to move forward.

A hand on her wrist.

A yell as she was pulled away.

"You're going to get it right where he would have."

A gun pointed between her eyes.

"No, please, don't-"

"Liars get what they deserve," Kris growled.

He pulled the trigger.

Her eyes rolled back into her head as blood rushed out. Her limp body crumpled to the floor.

Zitao also fell to the floor, leaning against the wall.

"Zitao? Zitao! Zitao, you're going to be okay!" Kris crouched over Zitao, ing his shirt to find the wound. He thought he saw tears in the older boy's eyes.

His vision was blurry, but he knew he had to do something.

He reached up and grabbed the collar of Kris's shirt and kissed him.

"Zitao! I promise I'll get you out of here!"

Zitao out.

------------

Beep. Beep. Beep. That was what Zitao heard when he woke up. He tried to sit up, but his side burned when he did.

He heard something more.

He heard quiet sobbing.

"Kris?" He asked, his voice barely audible. He was so weak.

"Zitao!" Kris said, wiping his tears. "You were so worried about me getting hurt, but you almost got yourself killed! How could you be so stupid?"

"I'm sorry," Zitao said, a small smile covering his face. He grabbed Kris's shirt collar for the second time in 24 hours and pulled him down to kiss him again. Kris's tears made his lips salty, but he didn't mind. He looped his arms around Kris's neck. It seemed to last a lot longer than it actually did.

"I never thought I'd get to do that again," Zitao said, running his thumb along Kris's lower lip. "I'm glad I got another chance to."

"Don't say it like that, Zitao. You're going to be fine, all right?"

"Yeah," Zitao said, grabbing Kris's hand. "I'll be fine as long as you're here."

 

(A/N: Oh my god, I am so sorry this is so late. Break's over so I have school to deal with now and I had a little bit of writer's block with this. Because of school, I'll probably only be able to update once every two days. I'll try really hard to get one up a day if I can, though! I'm also really sorry it's so much shorter than the other chapters. But hey, it's a little bit of Taoris for you. Besides, I wouldn't want to start anything else in this chapter, because that would be a terrible place to stop. Thanks for reading, guys. Hope you liked it!)