How Could This Be?

The Way The World Works

 

How could this be?

For the whole day my mind couldn’t think of anything else except for that one simple song and the unknown guitarist.  I was not able to erase this memory.

My heart beat fast as I remembered one little detail about my childhood past.

***

Spring of 2000

I heard the front door creek from my bedroom. Why would he be here so early in the morning, especially since it was dark and rainy outside?  I knew my mom shouldn’t have given him a key to our house.

“Suji, where are you? Wake up! I’ve got something cool to show you!” Myungsoo’s voice grew louder and louder as he came running up the stairs and into my room.

“Is it really that important that you had to come here at 6:00 in the morning?” I shouted in his face.

“Well, not really but I just felt like it.” He had a silly smirk on his face. In his arms he was carrying an old vintage boom box.

“What are you going to do with that?” I stubbornly spat out.

“We can listen to music on this!” His face lit up, and I couldn’t help but laugh at him.

“You’re dumb. Do you know if it even works still?”

“I don’t know if it does, but I came here to check if you have an old cassette tape that I could try.” He made a curious face and scratched his head.

“My mom has a collection of them!” Suji exclaimed. Myungsoo’s face brightened.

They went downstairs and looked around for the box.

“Myungsoo, it’s here on this shelf!” She stood on a chair to retrieve the box but the chair wasn’t steady and so Suji fell to the ground.

Suji started to bawl her eyes out. It was unbearable. Her mother ran down the stairs and came to her aid.

“Ahh, Myungsoo you’re here! Are you okay? What happened?” Myungsoo explained in a panicky tone.

“Don’t worry Myungie, Suji is okay. She is always so clumsy.” Her mother assured him, and patted him on the back.

She took the box from the shelf and scanned her fingers through the endless columns of cassette tapes, trying to look for a particular one.

“Ahh, here it is.” She whispered to herself. She pulled out a cassette tape that was labelled, ‘Rainy Days’.

She got Myungsoo’s boom box and inserted the tape.

The beautiful music poured into the room. Suji wiped her tears and her lips began to curl upwards.

“Suji really loves this song. Whenever it is a rainy day, we put this song on and then the house would be filled with joy again. This is our song as a family.

“Rainy Days...” Myungsoo repeated to himself in a hushed tone.

***

Suji was in shock.

“No way...Could it really be him?”