In my way, you

Our way

"Children see magic because they seek for it"

Christopher Moore

 

The old house had received millions of children so far. It was not the most modern place but his reputation preceded it and was definitely the best school for children in preschool age in the area. The director went to the University after divorcing her first husband, because she couldn’t give him children. It was a shame really because the woman loved him indeed, but society demanded more of Korea’s women, the weaker , in a macho world.

Ms. Baek felt then, the best way to be around children all the time was getting a little nest in the house she inherited from her parents; and so was right. There was no woman more dedicated to children that Ms. Baek. She solved the problems of each child with special care and individuality - 'because two children are never alike' - but also with stealth and attentive attitude.

She began studying education later than the rest but when she finished, she was a living book query for many beginners. By the time she was 57 years, she had already received local awards for her work with children, inside and outside the institution. A true philanthropist.

So when the new small child sat in a corner of the playground avoiding his companions, she knew something was wrong. He had not ceased to cry since morning when his sisters left him, after an hour since the bell rang. The little, finally felt he had cried too much and got nothing in exchange for his tears. His throat ached and his eyes were swollen so much that he looked cloudy. All 'misses' had tried to calm him the first time, but under Ms. Baek’s indication, now they were forbidden to approach him and to leave him cry until he stopped.

When the small boy realized the lack of interest he generated - 'It is not like home' - his face was contained in his usual pout and walked into the classroom quietly. There would be no problem with this behavior, since Ms. Baek had seen it countless times in cocky kids; if it wasn’t because he had already been a month since the students began classes; and he was still doing the same routine.

Not only the same scene was repeated every morning, but also the small speak to no one. Neither the teacher nor his friends managed to get a word that contain more than one syllable as 'No' or 'Yes'. However the 'misses' were delighted with him. It was a creature so cute when he cried; they could just imagine how his smiling face would look like.

Ms. Baek hoped that the doctor’s visit at least would make the small talk openly about the grief that aded him everyday. It was not a psychiatric visit but a general doctor, so she thought somehow the little one wouldn’t feel intimidated and that they were giving him attention. Also Ms. Baek had asked his parents to come, but having 8 more sisters, the kid had to wait for attention. On Friday, for the time being, Mr. Kim promised to be in the principal's office first hour in the morning.

-Mrs. Baek, am I interrupting? - A thick man's voice was heard from the door.

-Of course not, doctor. Please come in - the principal stood up and a man in his 50s, wearing a white coat and a black briefcase entered, closing the door behind him – you must be tired, it's hot outside. Did you just arrive?

-I was walking around near your school. I don’t live near here so I thought I would take a look. You have a beautiful home. Children are very happy - answered the man reaching out to shake hands with the principal

-I hope you don’t mind but I told my son he could go play in the yard while I take care of some routine examinations. How about if we start with the teachers? I must finish early today for my son. My wife could not stay with him today but tomorrow and the entire week, I’ll finish the remain

-Yes, of course. No problem I have three teachers on the patio watching the little ones, but others must be in their classrooms ready for the next round of classes- Ms. Baek turned around her desk and picked up a key that hung beside the door. She left the room with the Dr. following her footsteps – Follow me. I'll show you where our nursery is.

The small Youngwoong couldn’t understand why everyone spoke to him. The rule was simple, ‘no means no’. When his mother wanted to be alone, she usually walked away and went to the kitchen, asking him to play with his toys and don’t bother her. Youngwoong never disobeyed this order because approach her when she asked him to stay away, usually broke his heart. She was always crying. Now, his new mom never asked him to stay away but Youngwoong thought that the indication should be the same for everyone. Why these children didn’t understand that he wanted to be alone?

-Come on Youngwoongie!!

-NO!

-Shall we play with the ball WoongWoong?

-NO!

-The swings Woongie, Taeyonie call us!

-NO!

-Teacher is calling you!

-NO!

-Youngwie, do you want to play tea time?

Youngwoong had been sitting beside the playground with his legs hugged to his chest and his head bowed. When he heard the voice of the girl, he looked up and saw a little dirty face and two tails in her unusual head, holding a backpack full of teapots, cups and plates. Youngwoong contracted his face then, his eyes filled with tears. He stood up and clenched his little fists on each side of his body. Then, without another word, he stretched both arms and pushed the small girl with all the strength he had; until she fell in the sandbox that was behind her.

What followed next was not surprising. The girl began to cry inconsolably, teachers came running in her direction and Youngwoong was caught between accusations of, the same children who a moment ago had invited him to play - Traitors - and teachers, who indicated uncontrolled violence wasn’t allowed in their institution.

When asked why he did, Youngwoong couldn’t apologize or say anything. He lowered his head and waited for the inevitable punishment.

All teachers took the girl to the hospital to see if there were more injuries apart from bruises. Youngwoong stayed punished and was told to wait close to the bushes while they call the director, to know what his fate would be. As if he had not heard that word before, ‘fate'

Suddenly he felt at peace. The courtyard was desolate and silent. He breathed deeply and turned his gaze to the bushes while waiting for Ms. Baek. He knelt and began to draw little lines in the sand as he let the scent of flowers invaded him, and the breeze took all noises that were bothering few minutes ago. 'After all, girls are not so bad'

-What are you doing there? - asked the soft voice of a child behind him

Youngwoong heard the words and thought that maybe it was his imagination. He didn’t turn around but felt he had to respond. Not quite understand why but he had the need. Until then he hadn’t spoken to anyone at the school because the voices had always been aggressive, pushy, honeyed... this; however, was soft. Really soft and comforting. Before he could think what he was doing, he replied wearily as he had told Ms. Baek when she came and demanded explanations for his actions.

-I'm punished. I must think on my actions.

-Oh! What did you do? – the voice asked again behind him

-Nothing

-Punished for doing nothing?

-No!

-Mmm then you did something. Don’t want to tell me?

-No!

-No, you did nothing or no you don’t want to tell me?

-No!

Suddenly the boy stood before Youngwoo jumping and he stepped back in reflect, opening his eyes wide. The new boy was a small spiky-colored and black hair. Also had small black eyes that made him look more Chinese than Korean. He wore a white polo shirt with green sleeves and Batman logo in the middle. Jeans, a small backpack, white socks and sandals of the same superhero, completed his outfit. Youngwoong thought maybe he could like this child. Batman was his favorite comic book character since his sister told him it was 'the Dark Knight'. He never liked the day due to his insomnia.

-Want to play?

-No, I can’t

-Why? - asked the little boy pouting

-My parents are coming...

-We can play until they come

-I'm punished

-But I’m not. I 'unpunished' you!

Youngwoong blinked and remembered the old game of ‘enchanted’. He imagined that worked in the same way so he moved and sat on the floor, while the new kid removed his backpack and placed in front of him. Youngwoo said nothing and watched as he pulled a small coloring book and several animal toys placing them in front of him.

-Where’s your mom? – asked Youngwoong

-She didn’t came…

-Do you study here?

-I don’t. Today I came with my dad…

-Why?

-Because he has work here

-Why?

-Because he's Doctor

-Is there sick people here?

-I don’t know. But Dad said he has to work.

The new boy finished removing all the contents of his bag and shook it hard to check he hadn’t left anything. Finally a strawberry candy fell he quickly took it. Strawberry was his favorite flavor. But it was too late because his new friend had already seen it. Without thinking and following what his mother had taught him about sharing, he stretched his little hand and offered the candy to his new friend. Yoongwoong blinked and accepted the gift. He felt it would be rude to keep it, so he opened it and stuck it in his mouth.

-Thanks - said savoring the candy

-I love strawberry. Do you love it?

-It's OK

-Don’t you love it?

-I love my mom

-Mmm me too. I guess I don’t love strawberries. I just like them.

-What Is this? - asked Youngwoong noticing the big book that stood before him.

-It's the book my dad gave me!

-What does it say there?

-Great African animals - the small waved a finger, placing it above the letters, as if reading each.

-Wow! Can you read?

-No

- ...

-Dad reads me every night, and I learned – explained the kid

-Oh!

-Do you want to see them? My animals...

Youngwoong nodded and the other sat beside him. Both feet were stretched and the great book was placed over their legs. The images showed cartoons and actual photographs of spectacular animals in Africa. Also, for each picture, the child had a miniature toy depicting what he read.

-This is the king!

-What is it?

-A lion – the kid placed his little finger over the letters and made the gesture again as he was reading what contains the page - the lion is considered the king of the beasts. It has four legs and a mane.

-Mane?

-Dad said it’s his beard

-Ah!

-The lionesses have no mane

-Moms never have beards

-The small pups...

-Pups?

-Lion’s babies

-Oh!

-The little pups live with their mothers until they are able to feed themselves...

-They look like kittens

-They are no kittens - said the other looking outraged into Youngwoong eyes - they are big and bad. They eat small children and do ARGGGGGGHHHHH !!!

Youngwoo watched as the small raised both hands and opened his mouth to the utmost, showing his small teeth. He kept grunting as he moved his hands in addition, wanting to scratch him.

-ARGGGGGGHHHHH !!!

-hahahahahah you look like a cat ...

The other pouted and returned to his book, flipping the next page.

-Yes, I suppose it is like a cat... I don’t imitate lions that well

-And these?

-They’re Monkeys. The monkey eats plants and insects. They live in the treetops ...

-hahahah they have silly face!

-THEY DON’T!

-Look at that face!

-My dad says that monkeys are the animals that have the most resemble to a human

-Really? –asked Youngwoon interested

-Yup

-And how do they do?

-Mmmm my dad doesn’t imitate them very well, but is something like... - the small stood and semi flexed his legs so his arms could touch the floor. After that, he bite the lower lip and began to jump from one side to the other, screaming - AHH AHH UUHUHHH UHH UHH AHH

-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Youngwoong was increasingly diverted with his new partner. The whole situation was very funny. He never would have known that animals could be entertained. Only cats attracted his attention since he saw one in the courtyard of his neighbor. Even the dogs were not of his liking despite being the favorite animal per excellence.

-Did you like it?

-I was right, they’re silly - laughed Youngwoong

The new kid smiled and sat back down next to Youngwoong stretching his legs to turn the page. This time the image of a tall animal with long neck was drawn in the middle of fields, running with two little one behind him. The boy reached out and grabbed one of her small thumbnails representing the animal.

-This is a giraffe

-Ohh, I think I've seen that on TV

-They have long neck to feed from the leaves of the trees and walk on four legs. They have loooong legs and...

-How do they do?

-I don’t know – answered the child confused

-Is it voiceless?

Youngwoong thought nothing could be worse than have no voice. Not to be able to communicate with others must be horrible. Others would like to speak to you and tell you what their hearts kept. That was a blessing because you could also open your heart to them. 'Then why you don’t let them get close to you?'

'I just want them to leave me alone'

'They just want to talk to you, dear. They want to give you a little piece of their heart '

-I don’t know. My dad never imitates...

-I wonder how they speak to each other...

-Look at this one! Isn’t cute? It has the color of the pandas!

-Are those horses? On the farm I went with my sister they had horses!

-They’re not horses, they are zebras

-They seem horses to me

-They're zebras and had white and black spots, eat plants and walk on four legs and...

-They're horses

-These animals can’t be mounted

-Can’t?

-I asked my dad and he said no

-Oh! Your dad seems to know a lot... what is this?!

The next page had a huge image occupying both sides of the open book. In it was a huge elephant with his trunk outstanding the book.

-It's an elephant

-Waaa!! Why is it so big?

-It's huge actually!! Dad says he can weigh twelve tons!

-That’s a lot?

-Hmmm I guess so because dad says that even my aunt Jihoo weighs less than that... and she is big, very big - the boy stretched his arms from end to end. Youngwoong was a little frightened by the description. The great human beings could stumble and fall on one. Youngwoong considered that being crushed shouldn’t feel very well.

-It's a fat animal then...

-Nop. Just big. He eats plants and roots that collect with his big trunk - the boy waved one hand, simulating the elephant's trunk – I don’t think you could get fat eating just plants

-Only mothers should eat that. My older sister does. This male elephant must eat meat.

-No, elephants don’t eat meat. And is not a ‘he’ is a ‘she’…

-Is it a woman?

-Dad says that elephants are the best moms in the world. They are very protective of their young and never leave them alone. They even travel with several moms to protect their babies. My dad also told me they are so protective they can face even the kings!

-The lions?

-Yup! They tread them with their big feet if they dare to approach their babies

-Waaaah!!

-And my dad also told me in Africa there is a place they go to die together. The Elephant Graveyard

-All together?

-Yes, because they don’t want to separate. Never.

-They don’t want to be separated…never… - the small Youngwoong repeated in a whisper

-It must be sad to leave someone you love behind so they are always together.

Youngwoong became silent but let the child placed the miniature elephant in his hand. He looked carefully and the long trunk.

How different his life would have been if Youngwoong had born as an elephant. His mother would have never left him behind. She would have crushed all those debt collectors with her feet everytime they came to disturb them. She would have caught plants and roots from the trees to feed her son, and never ever they would have had to worry about money. Youngwoong didn’t understand what was money for but his mother seemed to need it.

Also, he would have lived in a nice place. Youngwoong saw trees, lakes and large fields in each of the big book's pictures. It looked very sunny and Youngwoong liked it. Seoul’s cold was unbearable sometimes.

How different his life would have been if Youngwoong had born as an elephant.  He never would have cried waking up in the middle of the night to not felt the warmth of his mother next to his body, embracing him. He would have never looked around in an unknown place, crying because he couldn’t find her. Until finally she had come to tuck him under the covers, turned off the light and left him alone again.

How different his life would have been if Youngwoong had born as an elephant. If so he would never have met his current mother. 'But she is good'. There wouldn’t have been goodnight kisses, and he wouldn’t have had bedtime stories. 'Neither would have cut my hair in the back, where was sticky'. He wouldn’t have known the love of a father or many sisters. Everybody pampered him during the days he was at home. 'Then why you don’t give them your smile?’ ‘why do you keep crying?'

'I don’t want them to leave me!'

'They won’t let you Youngwoong, they just want to have fun'

'I want to have fun with them, too'

'Can SHE be your elephant mama?

-Would you like to be an elephant? - the new kid asked, turning his face to Youngwoong

-So I can always be with the people I love?

-Aren’t you with them? Your mom? Your dad?

-They’re at home

-But won’t you see them later?

-Yes, but I want them now! Here! - Youngwoong yelled uneasy

-They must be busy

-Nor my sisters...

-Do you have sisters? I want a sister! I always ask mom!

-They are bad...

-Why? Did they leave you?

-Do you think they left me? - the small Youngwoong felt his eyes filled with tears again.

-Who leave you?

-MY SISTERS!

-Why do you think they left you?

-Every morning they leave me here. My mother also left me... I ... I ... - the small one began sobbing and tears peeked out from the corner of his eyes, waiting to come out with a few more words. So small and so fragile.

-Did they say goodbye?

-What?

-Did they say goodbye?

-They didn’t

-What did they say?

Youngwoong thought for a while and answered honestly.

-They said ‘See you later’

-So they didn’t leave you. Dad says the saddest word is goodbye. When you say goodbye means we will never see that person. You won’t play more with them and won’t laugh with them either. That must be very sad. I never say goodbye to dad or mom.

-My mom didn’t tell me goodbye and she left...

-Didn’t you say your mom was at home?

-She is not...

-Isn’t she your mom?

- ...

Didn’t she behave like a mom? Youngwoong had begun to call her mother several months ago and have not treated her as such. He made her worry when his sisters report the child cried every day. He kept her up when he can’t sleep at night. He made her cry when he refused to call her ‘mom’ at the beginning. He made her come to school when he misbehaved, for having to apologize instead of him. Hadn’t she always behaved like a mother? Youngwoong never had nightmares since joining his new home, only pleasant dreams. He never missed a meal or has double when asked. He never was lack of clothes (or dresses from his sisters). He never needed toys (for himself or their sisters). He never had alone time when he was home, because everyone pampered and took care of him, taking him from one place to another. He never lacked love.

And if you never lacked love, then you don’t lack a family.

Now Youngwoong had a family. Maybe not as real as the first, but more complete.

-YUNHOOOO!!

-Papa!

-Let’s go son! Your mom is taking your aunt to the hospital to give birth, we must go!

-Coming! – shouted back Yunho still watching his new friend huge eyes. It seemed that somehow he had made him feel better because none of the tears he had seen were there anymore. Instead, the small Youngwoong wiped his eyes with the palms of his hands, stood up and turned to continue his punishment. Yunho quickly gathered his things and put them in the bag. When he checked all around, gave a small pat on Youngwoong’s shoulder.

-I'm sorry, I cannot stay any longer. My dad calls me... it's a shame… wanted to play

-Are you going to come back? - Youngwoong asked shyly and blushing. It seemed ridiculous the need for new child, but he wondered if maybe he couldn’t have a chance to see him again.

-I don’t know. I'll tell my dad to bring me back!

-Yup! I introduce you to my friends... maybe - Youngwoong knew he would have to make friends now.

-Deal! - Yunho said, shaking his hand.

When Youngwoong raised his right hand to say goodbye, he noticed that he still held the little elephant toy. He opened his palm and returned the toy Yunho to accept it. Yunho; however, smiled and closed Youngwoong’s hand over the toy.

-Keep it! Next time you’ll give it back

-Deal! - smiled Youngwoong mimicking his new friend’s phrase and keeping the doll in the pocket of his shorts.

Yunho turned around and ran toward the school gate. His dad disappeared behind it after calling him and now must be waiting impatiently. And before he had advanced more than half of the playground, the child turned again and returned by Youngwoong’ side. Because Youngwoong was still showing his back, Yunho touched his shoulder and when his friend turned around, he gave him a kiss on the cheek as a farewell.

-See you later! – he said running and disappeared again.

Youngwoong touched his cheek and couldn’t help blushing over the gesture. Yunho had kissed him with the same affection his mom, dad and sisters did. A stranger kissed him like that! And a stranger boy!! He froze but managed to look up to see Yunho at the front door. He was holding the hand of his father, prepared to leave.

Youngwoong got to hear the sound from the car and started to count the minutes until they will see each other again.

He didn’t cry again the next morning, nor the next or the following after that. He apologized to the little girl he had pushed and to his and their parents. He had learned to talk to his friends and teachers. He had asked his parents to buy him all the books of animals that existed. He had studied the sounds of animals to impress his new friend Yunho. He had even purchased videos of real animals to watch with his family.

But little Yunho never returned. He had waited and waited, excited every day but the answer of the teachers and director was always the same: The doctor hasn’t come today. And Youngwoong kept waiting without crying. Because Yunho didn’t say goodbye. He kept his hope waiting for the day they could play with his new ‘gang’.

He kept waiting until the day his sister lost his little toy elephant on the move to their new home. Youngwoong wept and cried again for the last time before his six year old birthday. He cried at the loss of his toy and his friend. His first love Yunho.