CH.3

Young Jae's World

      Young Jae woke up, and found himself lying on a cold floor. He looked up, squinting, because his eyesight was still really blurry. He got up shakily, his knees wobbling, as if he were about to collapse in a matter of seconds. The heavy breathing was back, and Young Jae froze. He turned around, to find a huge, creepy doll looming over him with a creepy grin on its face. Young Jae let out a scream, before running away down the hall. This time, there were much less paintings, but the paintings were more... evil. In the first painting that Young Jae saw, there was a man covered in black, shrouded in red and dark blue. All that you could see of the man, were his bright purple eyes. Young Jae didn't stop to look at all the other paintings, and kept running. After a while, when Young Jae couldn't run any longer, he sat down between two paintings, one which had a woman holding a red rose. The other had a man who looked as if he were holding something, but there was nothing in his outstretched hand. The woman shifted her gaze to his, and held out the rose to him. Young Jae looked behind him, and pointed to himself with a confused face for verification. The woman in the painting nodded, and gestured for him to come closer with a hand. Young Jae took careful steps, and was surprised when the woman leaned out of the painting, her lower half still in the painting, and her upper half, including her head, sticking out. She smiled at him, and handed him the rose, lightly patting him on the head, as if she knew him. Young Jae smiled shyly at her, and bowed to her in gratitude. The woman leaned towards his ear, speaking in a familiar voice.

      "Not all of us are bad, you know that, right Young Jae?" Young Jae stepped back, and stared at the woman for a second.She did look awfully familiar. She smiled at him again.

      "Mom?" The woman let out a half chuckle, and patted him on the head again. 

      "I'm not your current mother, but I do know you." Young Jae tilted his head in confusion, and the woman looked down the hall with an alert face. She turned back to Young Jae.

      "You have to go! Now! Good luck, Young Jae!" The boy smiled, and nodded quickly. The woman reached out once again, and pecked him on the forehead lovingly, before smoothing out his fringe. 

      "Good bye, Young Jae. You'll see me again." Young Jae held out his pinky.

      "Promise?" The woman laughed softly.

      "Promise." They crossed fingers, and Young Jae ran down the hall. The man in the painting stopped staying still, and stretched, smiling at the woman.

      "Suzy, you know that he's probably got his own adoptive parents now, right?" The woman smiled, and shook her head.

      "Taecyeon... we're real his parents. We'll escape one day, and the day we do, we'll find him. I promise." The man smiled a little.

      "Okay." Young Jae kept on moving, while thinking about the woman and the man. He was thinking so much, that he almost ended up running straight past the unconscious man laying face down on the ground. Young Jae backtracked, and rushed to the man. What if he was another evil painting?" Young Jae made sure the rose was safe in his pocket, and knelt down, trying to flip the man onto his back. He was definitely still breathing, because his chest rose up and down. Once Young Jae got a good look at his face, he relaxed. The man didn't really look evil. He looked kind of peaceful, to be honest. Young Jae noticed the glowing blue rose in the man's hand, and Young Jae compared it to his. His rose was smaller than the man's, but they were both equally beautiful. Young Jae wanted to hold the man's rose, and his hand hovered over it. The rose seemed to glow more, and grew bigger as Young Jae's hand touched one of the petals. All of a sudden, the man woke up. He gasped as he clutched at his chest. He didn't notice Young Jae at first, who decided to shyly sit back and inspect his own rose. The man frantically made sure the rose was still on him, before he relaxed. He finally noticed Young Jae, and yelped. He pulled out a pen from his pocket, and held it out towards Young Jae, shaking it around. The pen looked very, very life threatening, and the latter raised an eyebrow at the man's choice of weapon. The man blushed, and put the pen away to save the last remaining shreds of his dignity. 

      "Are you a painting?" Young Jae stiffened at the question.

      "No. Are you?" The man shook his head quickly. He noticed the rose sticking out of Young Jae's pocket. He held up his own rose, and put them together. Both the flowers grew brighter, and started to grow bigger. Suddenly, Young Jae felt a hand on his shoulder.

      "Young Jae! Where have you been? I've been looking everywhere for you! I was so worried!" Young Jae recognized that voice. Mark. He turned to see a beaming Mark, and hugged him.

       "Where did you go? I thought that we were walking together, and then, all of a sudden, you weren't there anymore! The same thing happened to Jin Young!" Mark raised his eyebrows.

       "Jin Young? When did you meet him?" 

       "He helped me out when the lights turned off!" Mark nodded, and they went into silence. Mark looked around, inspecting the area that they were in.

      "But what are you doing here in the North Wing? You should be in the South Wing!" Young Jae shrugged.

      "The second time the lights went out, I think I was taken here by someone. I was definitely knocked out, but I don't know who." Mark furrowed his eyebrows, and nodded again. He noticed the man standing behind them, still holding their roses, and he pointed to him.

      "Who's he? Is he a painting? I don't think I've ever seen him around before. Is he a human?" Young Jae looked back to the man, who was still taking care of the roses.

      "Sorry, I never really got your name. My name's Choi Young Jae." The man looked up with a small smile on his face.

      "My name's Jae Bum. Im Jae Bum.