Dream 006

It Was All A Dream

TOP opened his eyes and looked up to see Taeyang standing over him. He sat up and looked around to see everyone still hard at work. Taeyang nodded and TOP followed him out, waving to GD before he left the room. The two walked down the hall to the set of elevators and then waited for the private one. When the doors opened, they got in and rode it to the top. When the doors opened, they entered Mr. Yang’s office.

Mr. Yang put down his papers and walked from his desk to a couch with some armchairs around it. He waved to the couch but took an armchair himself. TOP took a seat in an armchair as well but Taeyang sat at one end of the couch.

Mr. Yang sighed and asked, “What is the situation now?”

Taeyang turned to TOP and then back to Mr. Yang and replied, “Kim Woobin heard from someone that she was at The Lovely Café. He checked it out and later confronted her.”

Mr. Yang raised his right hand to stop Taeyang, “How does Woobin know her?”

Taeyang sighed, “I’m not too clear on it, but he met the Spinstas before we all did. They talked and then the accident happened.”

Mr. Yang nodded, “So he found her. And then?” he asked.

Taeyang turned to TOP, “And then…”

TOP cleared his throat and explained, “He tried to confront her but she brushed him off. I was with her and he stayed after, but he had already talked to her, so it would be hard to get him to stay away, so I told him what was going on. I thought it was the right thing to do because she will leave in a few months.”

Mr. Yang frowned, “Will he keep our secret?”

“If he wants to stay around her, then yes,” TOP replied.

Mr. Yang nodded, “I see. I understand why you did that, but I feel like you should have sent him to talk to me about it first.”

Taeyang checked his phone and then stated, “He was with her this morning. Nari said they made ramen and then he left. He said he would be back later, or something like that,” he concluded.

Mr. Yang crossed his arms across his chest and sighed, “We just have to keep her busy for the next four months. Whatever it takes, we must keep things as the same as possible.”

TOP nodded in agreement with Mr. Yang, but Taeyang stated, “She wants to date TOP.” Mr. Yang and TOP both freeze and turn to Taeyang, who elaborates, “Before she leaves, maybe forever, she wants to start dating and she wants it to be with TOP.”

Mr. Yang turned to TOP, “Was this warranted?”

TOP shook his head, “No. I always keep my distance with her.”

Taeyang looked away, “But, do you like her?”

Before TOP could answer, Mr. Yang waved his hand dismissively, “Whether or not you do, this can be the perfect excuse to keep you with her more.” And then he clapped his hands once, “That’s what we’ll do. Recording will start soon, but if you spend as much time with her, we can make sure nothing else happens between now and then. She must leave in four months.”

TOP shook his head, sitting up in his chair, “Isn’t starting a relationship giving her the idea that staying is an option?”

“No. Starting a serious relationship does, but starting a casual relationship is open ended and she will, at least, leave happy,” Mr. Yang added.

Taeyang sighed, “This sounds quite risky to me. Especially with Woobin in the woodwork. And what if GD notices?” he added.

But Mr. Yang shifted in his seat and replied, “TOP will keep an eye on her and then Taeyang can take over. Woobin can be an extra pair of eyes. It works out. Let’s try that.” He stood, dismissing the boys.

Taeyang and TOP got into the elevator and when the doors closed, Taeyang turned to TOP and interrupted his protest with, “Will you be able to end it in four months?”

TOP, who had begun asking Taeyang for help, stopped mid-question, and thought about the question before he shrugged, “How about I just suggest we hang out more before we see if we want to try a relationship?”

Taeyang shook his head, “No way will she accept that. She has been asking me about it for the past weeks now. I’m sure she will ask you about it today.”

TOP became very pale. Part of him was excited, a bit giddy, the other part was filled with guilt. How could he take the next step with her when he knew GD had no choice but to give her up? It had been eight glorious months of secrets and careful navigation, but they had come down to the final four months.

And then Taeyang added, “I think you should go out with her to see if anything is there. So you won’t regret it.”

TOP knew Taeyang was right. It was hard, but the truth was the truth. TOP had felt the attraction since day one of meeting her. He’d had the opportunity to stay relevant in her life. And now, he had the choice of making more of it or letting the opportunity pass him. As unfair as it was to others, TOP felt a wave of selfishness wash over him. Now, he just wondered how he would face the world without feeling like he had stolen the chance of another.

***

Rania worked hard through the morning. After Woobin left, she discussed the catering menu with Mrs. Kwan before assigning the dishes to certain cooks. Then, she and Kanari made sample dishes for Mrs. Kwan to try before finalizing their sets. As Rania kneaded the dough, Kanari adjusted the taste of the filling.

“Do you think BigBang will really eat all this?” Kanari asked, adding soy sauces to the mix.

Rania shrugged, “If not them, then the rest of the YG family. Their tastes are all rather salty. We won’t go wrong with these dishes,” she added, before moving quickly to flatten the pieces into perfect circles as her mother had always done at home.

Kanari watched and shook her head, “I’ll never be able to do it the way you do.”

Rania smirked, “It just takes practice. Go ahead and try the design we had talked about. If it works, we’ll stick to it. If the dough doesn’t set, then we have to figure out something else. Maybe parachutes,” she added.

Kanari put a spoonful of the filling in the center of the small circle as she would a dumpling and then pulled up the sides. Not sealing it, she used the dough to form the petals of a rose, and then added a bit more filling to the open top. She did that with a few more before setting them aside on a plate, like little dragonheads. She added red garnish to the tops and then put them in the steamer.

When she turned back, Rania stacked ten together, adding a layer of honey between them, before using a knife to cut out triangles from the sides so that it looked like a sun. She moved the cut triangles onto the center of the dough, creating a 3D effect on the little suns. When she was done, she stood back and looked at it, checking each and every angle before she exclaimed, “Just like the sun, TaeDong will know this is for him!”

Kanari rolled her eyes, “I think it’s weird that he lets you call him that.” Kanari had put six dough circles into the cupcake mold before adding in custard. “Daesung is the one who enjoys these tarts?” she asked.

Rania smiled, “Yeah, bake them and then refrigerate them. I’ll prep the fruit after I fix these,” she added, three suns down and three to go.

Kanari did as she was told before she started securing small dumplings, the way Seungri liked it. She remembered watching him polish off a whole plate once and shook her head. Such a slim little guy eating so much is quite fun to watch. And then she caught herself smiling and shook her head.

From across the table, Rania had begun making the final premiere dish with TOP in mind. She put a lot of thought into it before she pulled out the red bean paste and locked it between two dough circlers. She used a single toothpick-thick metal piece to pierce straight through the center of the circles and then moved them into a grate. What made them unique and unforgettable was how the dough and insides cooked differently due to the small metal rod. The first time TOP had it was because Rania was experimenting on her own. He’d eaten one and then continued to eat more, surprised with their unexpected taste and feel. From then on, every time she made them, he made sure to visit and take some home with him.

When she made sure all of the primary five were finished, she looked at Kanari, who looked worried. “What is it?” Rania asked.

Kanari bit her bottom lip, “We have to work a few nights to prep all of this. I think it might be easier to have a full kitchen staff that day. Maybe even a double shift so that we can finish on time.”

Rania sighed, “Let’s not worry about that until the primaries are approved of. It’s about time, right?” she asked and walked over to where the dragonheads simmered in the steamer. When she pulled it out, she placed it on the table. Kanari gathered the others as they were ready.

As Rania focused on plating one of each on a plate, Kanari prepped the garnish and added to the display. Lastly, as Kanari made final checks of each item, Rania peeled, washed, and cut fruit for each fruit tart. When finished, she and Kanari made final inspections.

When they finished, Kanari checked the restaurant and then re-entered. “Mrs. Kwan and Mr. Yang are seated in the back booth. They both look ready.”

“Great. Let’s get this going,” she smiled. She picked up a plate and Kanari picked up one as well. She looked at Kanari and then cleared needlessly, “Thank you, Kanari, for helping me.”

Kanari looked at Rania and then smiled, “Don’t tell me you still feel guilty. You are Chef, fair and square. Helping you is part of my job,” she added.

Rania nodded, “Which is why you will be the next great Chef. So, learn to accept my thanks and friendship.”

Kanari smiled, “I’m still working on it.”

“Yeesh,” Rania rolled her eyes and then stepped out of the kitchen, Kanari following close behind, a light blush on her cheeks.

***

Mr. Yang looked up as Rania placed a plate before him and Kanari placed a plate before Mrs. Kwan. Rania and Kanari stepped back, folding their hands in front of them and then waited.

Mrs. Kwan smiled and turned the plate, “I like the presentation. The garnish is well placed and each primary is accentuated nicely. Mr. Yang?” she asked and Mr. Yang smiled.

“I can tell there is a lot of thought in each item. What are they?” he asked, not touching the actual food but turning the plate to see it all.

Rania stepped forward and pointed to each of them as she stated, “First, we have a dragonhead with dumpling fillings, light and juicy. Next, like the burning sun, we have a sweeter but lighter dish with a filling effect. Something cool is the third dish, with fruit to help with digestion and comfort. The fourth is a Chinese fashioned dumpling with a mango accent, as per the preference of the inspiration. Last, a play of words for the top-like saucer with the gentle donut effect.” She bowed slightly and then took a step back to stand next to Kanari.

Mr. Yang and Mrs. Kwan tried each of the items before commenting in turn.

For the dragonheads, Mrs. Kwan nodded and then swallowed, “The dragonheads are lightly overcooked, so a minute less would be best. But they are juicy and very tasty.”

But Mr. Yang smiled and shook his head, “To me, this is delicious. I like the integrated xiaolongbao taste. It makes this very special.”

For the sun desserts, Mr. Yang smiled, “Sweet, not too thick, but very appetizing. It makes me want to have another one. Taeyang would greatly enjoy this lightly sweet taste.”

For the fruit tart, Mr. Yang smiled and Mrs. Kwan laughed out loud as they pointed to it and then each other, laughing together, “This is what Daesung would love!” They both rocked with laughter, feeling the bubbliness of the custard and fruit.

The next dish brought them a familiar gentle expressions. Mrs. Kwan nodded, “Calm, soothing, and not too salty. Very Chinese,” she added.

Mr. Yang looked at the dumpling and then up to Kanari, “Is this because of his Taiwan variety show?” And when she nodded, he smiled, “He did enjoy the Chinese dumplings a lot. Good job.”

Kanari opened , ready to give credit to Rania, but she extended her hand and that silenced Kanari. If credit was given, it ought to be received. Rania dropped her hand after Kanari closed and looked down at the ground, accepting the credit that wasn’t hers.

The last one made both Mrs. Kwan and Mr. Yang very quiet. Mrs. Kwan looked up at Rania and asked, “Is this because he likes it?”

Rania nodded, “Yes. It seems to be his favorite dish, so I thought it appropriate. I wanted to add a design with honey but wanted your approval first.”

Mr. Yang chewed slowly and then swallowed, “Everything about this one was done very well. I can see that you put a lot of thought into each individual primary dish. I appreciate it and know that each of the guests will as well.”

Rania and Kanari bowed low and then stood back up.

Mrs. Kwan nodded in agreement, “You reached outside of your box and brought about new flavors to old ideas. Congratulations, you have made The Lovely Café proud.”

Rania and Kanari bowed low, again, and then collected the plates before walking back into the kitchen. When they were gone, Mrs. Kwan wiped her lips and sighed, “She will be quite successful in America.”

Mr. Yang nodded, “Yes, her skill has gotten better. She also thinks and considers those being celebrated, which is nice. Thank you, again, for doing this for the YG family.”

Mr. Yang stood and walked out of the café. Mrs. Kwan sighed and touched her lips. “Her skill has, indeed, gotten better,” she repeated to herself.