See you again 2.

Open Doors

It’s been over two weeks since Wonsik’s last tutor session.

 

Last Sunday was the last day of their winter quarter break. The Sunday before was the day before final examinations. This Sunday, the Sunday after orientation/first week of classes, doesn’t really require a tutor session either, but Wonsik couldn’t wait any longer.

 

Plus, Wonsik enrolled in an advanced mathematics class this session. There’s no reason for it. In fact, his counselor warned him that this might prevent him from graduating early. By the way, his counselor added, why the sudden interest in mathematics?

 

Aren’t you in the fine arts school?

 

Your forte is composition, right?

 

Do you plan on switching your area of study?

 

Yes, yes, and no. When he thinks about the answer to the first question his counselor asked, he isn’t sure there is a clear one to give. He shrugs his way through an answer and excuses himself before his counselor could pry any further.

 

It’s a little harder to escape the same question coming from his roommate, boyfriend, and coworker.

 

He told himself he would stop the mathematics once he got a satisfactory mark at the end of the Winter session. His first and only required mathematics course left a sour taste in Wonsik’s mouth, so he felt it was necessary to gain redemption. Also, with such a great ally like his Jaehwan hyung, why would he not feel confident the second mathematics course?

 

Not only did Wonsik get the redemption he was looking for, he earned the highest mark in all of his professor’s courses during Winter session. Something he only had his Jaehwan hyung to thank for.

 

Of course, Wonsik has had other victories in which he can thank many of his other friends for. For example, he’s eternally grateful to both his Hakyeon hyung and boyfriend Taekwoon for the exposure and reputation in the fine arts school. He has his Sanghyukkie to thank for the new assistant manager position at ‘Hat World’. His roommate Hongbinnie he can thank for…

 

He can thank Hongbin for a lot. His social life, his job, his new friends, his boyfriend. Having Jaehwan as his tutor.

 

Wonsik makes a mental note to bring home Hongbin’s favorite meal and give him a great big hug. He thinks about buying a ‘Thank You’ balloon for the younger boy, but he doubts there’s one that says ‘Thank you for sharing your boyfriend’. He opts for the meal and hug and maybe that candy bar he’s been keeping in his backpack for emergencies.

 

Wonsik crosses the turn-style into the campus library and makes his way towards the study room he’s reserved. By the time he’s checked out the keys and unlocked the door Wonsik decides to keep the candy bar and possibly hold back on the hug. When he thinks about it, Hongbin could thank him for a thing or two.

 

Furthermore, Wonsik and Hongbin have hardly spoken each other since the beginning of the year. Maybe earlier. Not that he is necessarily worried about it. Oddly enough, up until this moment, sitting in an empty study room, Wonsik hasn’t noticed the lack of communication between most of his friends.

 

Hakyeon works mostly on Campus now, teaching dance and a few dance history courses. Sanghyuk’s school schedule has picked up, causing fewer opportunities to schedule himself with Wonsik. Taekwoon has picked up more shifts at the coffee shop paired with the two composition courses he teaches. He isn’t sure what Hongbin is up to, but he’s been told that the third year of studies at the university is always the most demanding, which he can vouch for. The only person Wonsik has made a conscious effort to keep in touch with is Jaehwan.

 

No specific reason, really. He just really wanted that great mark in his last mathematics class. Really, really, wanted that great mark.

 

“Wonsikkie~ sorry I’m late,” Jaehwan says as he slips inside their study room. Before Wonsik forgets about his current thoughts he forces himself to realize how busy Jaehwan should be as well. It’s Jaehwan’s final year of studies at the university until he finds a suitable company to work for. Any spare time should be used for resume building, interview practice, and of course, studying.

 

“H-hyung, no problem.” Wonsik is suddenly painfully aware of the time he’s taking away from Jaehwan. Why did Wonsik greedily decide to take on a harder mathematics course without discussing with Jaehwan? What more does Wonsik have to prove? Shouldn’t he stop while he’s ahead? Damn you mathematics with your problems and solutions.

 

Jaehwan is all smiles when he pulls out the chair next to Wonsik. The younger boy notices the slightly darker shade underneath his tutor’s eyes. Wonsik hears Jaehwan talking about the course Wonsik told him he enrolled in, but nothing is registering over the guilt that’s growing in his mind.

 

When Sanghyuk told Wonsik his classes had picked up, he didn’t push any further. He never once questioned the growing distance between himself and his roommate. Hell, he didn’t push the subject when Taekwoon told him he’s been so busy he’s had to cancel a few dates here and there.

 

To his credit, Jaehwan has never expressed his need for time or comment on his surely busy schedule, but shouldn’t Wonsik know better?

 

Wonsik smiles when Jaehwan pulls the book listed for the mathematics class he’s enrolled in and begins to explain the course.

 

“First this book is great! Have you picked up your copy yet?”

 

Wonsik shakes his head.

 

“Well, just from the appearance of the book you can tell it’s greatness, right?” Jaehwan holds the book up so Wonsik can notice the uniform shape, “it’s perfectly square, perfect! Go ahead and flip through the pages.” The older boy urges, placing the book in Wonsik’s hands. Fanning through the pages Wonsik totally gets what Jaehwan is trying to say.

 

“Not too flimsy to slip out of ones hands, but not too stiff to close up on you.” Jaehwan explains aloud. “Took me forever to find this guy, but found him boxed up in the living room closet! It needed to be cleaned out anyway, although I don’t think Taekwoonie was too happy to come home to such a huge mess that night…”

 

“We shouldn’t be doing this.”

 

Wonsik’s eyes a closed tight, but he can feel Jaehwan’s eyes on him. All the trouble he’s caused his hyung the past few months, the past few days!

 

“You… don’t want me to tutor you anymore?” Jaehwan is clearly confused at the statement.

 

“I just, it’s unfair.”

 

Wonsik’s mouth usually runs without any direction, but this time his mind is running so quickly with so many reasons his mouth doesn’t have time to choose one to start with.

 

“Unfair… to Taekwoon hyung and Hongbinnie?”

 

“What? No, I—what do you mean?” Wonsik is surprised that once again, his mind was nowhere near his boyfriend or roommate.

 

Jaehwan’s faced is scrunched. Wonsik has been around Jaehwan long enough to know that when the normally carefree boy scrunches his face, he’s trying to work through a problem. Usually it’s a mathematics problem, but Wonsik deduces it carries over to problems of all sorts. Deduction, more mathematics for you.

 

“I don’t know, I haven’t made time much for Hongbin lately and I’ve noticed Taekwoon is almost up to a pack a day so he’s stressed about something.” The older boy scratches the back of his head as if trying to release the tension he’s worried he’s caused.

 

“Taekwoon is smoking a pack a day?”

 

“You didn’t know?”

 

Wonsik tries to think of a time he’s noticed Taekwoon step outside on the fly or come over smelling a little too nice or a little smoky. He’s got nothing.

 

“So that’s not what you were talking about, then.” More deduction, this time from Jaehwan.

 

“I haven’t seen Hongbin much either so…” Wonsik tries to explain, but once again, has no reason for the wedge created. “I meant it’s not fair to you, hyung.”

 

“Me?” Jaehwan points at himself, surprised.

 

“Yeah, you’ve got to be really busy trying to find a company to work for and making sure your own grades are up to par and for me to demand a day of your knowledge just seems so… selfish of me.”

 

“Hmm.” Jaehwan takes one from Taekwoon’s book. He’s thinking about what Wonsik just said and begins packing his books back into his bag.

 

Wonsik knows he’s right on the money. He’s ousted himself so Jaehwan won’t have to down the road. He hangs his head as he hears Jaehwan’s chair legs scrape against the floor.

 

“Well, what about me?” Wonsik looks up to see Jaehwan with his hands on his hips.

 

“What do you mean?” Wonsik is, once again, confused at Jaehwan’s statement.

 

“You don’t think I have a say in my life?”

 

“Still not following.”

 

“Aish,” Jaehwan closes Wonsik’s notebook and begins packing his bag for him, “Hakyeonnie gave me some very great advice lately…”

 

He helps Wonsik from his chair and pushes his chair in for him. He slips the younger one’s backpack on for him and makes his way towards the door.

 

“He said, ‘You can’t force someone to make time for you, if they really want to, they will.’”

 

Wonsik takes in his Hakyeon hyung’s wise words and tries to decipher what that could mean for the two boys now standing outside of their study room.

 

“Or maybe he said the only way for someone to make time for you is to force them…” Jaehwan plays with a fake long Confucius-like beard on his chin.

 

Wonsik finds himself smiling and knowing that it’s most definitely not the latter.

 

“Come on, let’s go get a coffee.”