Chapter One

Incongruent

 

JIYONG

 

2003

 

 

It was just another normal day in October. Kwon Jiyong is not in the mood to do anything. Their Calculus class just finished and he felt like dying. His mind just sailed for a very short time and before he knew it, their Calculus teacher was done explaining everything.

 

 

Nope. It was not for a short time.

 

 

He was deeply thinking of some problems. Some regarding his family, most regarding his grades and sort of his ex. It was his mom’s fault that he took an entrance exam to be part of the Special Science Class when he does not want it. But what can he do, his mother is a high school teacher who teaches Math. So he needs to meet the expectations.

 

 

‘One more subject…’ He kept repeating the same mantra for five minutes. He was in deep thought, not minding everything around. But what he did not notice was the brunette with her best friend that were behind him.

 

 

Lee Chaerin and Sandara Park are known to be the duo of the class. Both are very pretty and both were smart. Not the genius type of smart but the type that can keep up with the lessons. Dara, as what their classmates call her pointed Jiyong to Chae. And Chaerin, on the other hand walked slowly in-front of him.

 

 

“What is your problem?” She asked him while smiling. Jiyong looked at her, shocked with her sudden action.

 

 

‘Is this girl serious or is she trying to play with me?’ He furrowed his eyebrows.

 

 

“Is that how you really approach people with problems?” Jiyong asked her and Chaerin laughed.

 

 

“You seem really serious, that is why.” She continued laughing then she pointed at his face. “You look funny when you are thinking deep and is very rare.” Chaerin added while smacking his arm.

 

 

“Don’t you have anything to do?” Jiyong asked again.

 

 

“Do I look like I have anything to do?” She pouted.

 

 

“No.” He answered.

 

 

“Exactly.” Chaerin pointed out.

 

 

“So you are bugging me because you don’t have anything to do?”

 

 

“Correct.” She answered. “Come on, just tell me your problem. I will listen.” She eagerly said.

 

 

“It’s nothing serious. I was just thinking about something.” He said.

 

 

“You did not say any joke today so I know it is something serious.” She sat beside him.

 

 

“So, you are waiting for my jokes?” He asked again.

 

 

“Nope, yes, maybe. Dara asked me to ask you. Our classmates are quite sad because you are not your usual self today.” Chaerin told him.

 

 

“Is that so?” Chaerin nodded.

 

 

“Don’t mind me. I cannot think of any funny joke right now.” Jiyong said.

 

 

“But your jokes are not funny.” She said truthfully.

 

 

“But you always laugh.”

 

 

“Because I am a good friend.” Chaerin said and Jiyong grinned.

 

 

“So now you want us to be friends?” He and Chaerin smiled at him.

 

 

‘Weird.’

 

 

“We are friends.” She declared.

 

 

“Oh since when did that happen?” He asked her.

 

 

“Since we were classmates in seventh grade.” She said.

 

 

“Classmates and friends are two different things.” Jiyong told her.

 

 

“Whatever, we are friends.” She stuck her tongue out at him.

 

 

‘She is really something.’

 

 

Days passed and everything was just like the others for Jiyong—no. The days were not like the others because he is always staring at his classmate. Lee Chaerin to be specific. He thinks that it is weird because ever since she talked to him, he felt like he was hypnotized. It was like the scene they had always repeats itself in his mind.

 

 

“Bro.” Youngbae, his best friend nudged him.

 

 

“Uhmm…” He said without giving his full attention.

 

 

“Well, Bommie asked Chae who her best friend is and of course, she answered Dara. But she asked Dara the same and she denied Chae.” His friend told him and Jiyong looked at him.

 

 

“I am listening.” He said.

 

 

“Well, it is obvious that it’s just a matter of time before Chae knows.” Youngbae stated. “Don’t you think we need to befriend Chae? Like really close.” He suggested.

 

 

“We can do that. I can do that.” He smiled at his friend.

 

 

“Hey, why only you?”

 

 

“Look, I want to be her best friend.” Jiyong said. “I feel like I need to be her best friend. And you know that we are best buds already, so no need to be jealous.”

 

 

“As if I will be jealous man.” Youngbae said and both of them continued talking until Chaerin walked inside their classroom silently. She looked at the two guys who were the only ones inside the room and sat down on her table without even smiling.

 

 

Not the usual Chaerin.

 

 

“Bro…” Youngbae nudged him again. “Don’t you think she already knew?”

 

 

“Oh sh—“He said and was about to approach Chaerin when all of their classmates went inside the room.

 

 

Chaos. It was as if their room was a battlefield because of what is happening. Dara remained silent the whole time their friends were asking questions while Chaerin has her head down on the table.

 

 

Finally. Everything was settled and clear. Dara made it clear that she and Chaerin are friends but not bffs. Class ended and some already left but Chaerin was still sitting quietly on her chair. Jiyong walked slowly in-front of her and smiled.

 

 

“What is your problem?” He asked the same way she asked him days ago. Jiyong expected her to cry but no, she did not.

 

 

“It looks like you know it already.” She grinned at him.

 

 

“Uh-huh, so care to share?” He asked her again.

 

 

“Why should I tell you?” Chaerin asked him back.

 

 

“Because we are friends.” Jiyong said and smiled involuntarily when he realized that it felt good to say the word friend.

 

 

“Really?” He nodded. “Like super?” He nodded again and her smile became wider.

 

 

“So, will you now tell me?” Jiyong tried his luck again but she shook her head.

 

 

“You know it already so there is no point of telling.” She calmly said.

 

 

“Makes sense.” Jiyong said.

 

 

Friends.

 

Jiyong and Chaerin are now friends. After class, Jiyong will wait for everyone to go home and Chaerin will always be the one to go home last because she holds the key. Youngbae is busy because he always go to meetings of this organization Jiyong doesn’t even know what.

 

 

“Hey.” Chaerin smiled at Jiyong.

 

 

“Yes?” He smiled back.

 

 

“Were you waiting for me?” She asked him.

 

 

“Yes.” He answered.

 

 

“Aren’t you going to say anything?” She said.

 

 

“That depends.” He told her.

 

 

“I need to go home early, mom said that I need to go to my granny’s house.” She said.

 

 

“Oh…” Jiyong disappointedly said but was quickly replaced by a smile. “Let me send you home today.”

 

 

“Okay.” Chaerin answered.

 

 

Not Chaerin nor Jiyong were talking but the atmosphere is not awkward at all. They were just walking side by side, looking around—looking at anything but the other.

 

 

“Here is me.” Chaerin stopped at her track.

 

 

“Oh.” Jiyong stopped also. “Goodbye then.” He waited for Chaerin to enter the house’s gate before he started walking again.

 

 

“Ji!” He heard his name being called by Chaerin and he turned around to look at her.

 

 

“Yes?”

 

 

“Can you be my best friend?” Chaerin asked him.

 

 

Hello! I am back and I will make sure to make my stories better.
My 2017 resolution is not to be a tardy writer so expect that I will update more often that before! Continue supporting and loving CL! xoxo