Stupid Cupid

Stupid Cupid

 

Seohyun walks along the corridor that facing her school field. Right now, there’s a football practice going on and Seohyun couldn’t stop staring at one particular player that runs along the field while waiting for his team member to pass the ball to him.

The guy that Seohyun has been staring at is the captain of the school football team, Luhan. She watches his movement on the field wherever he goes. She watches as Luhan received a ball from his teammate and starts kicking the ball towards the goal. With one kick, the ball enters the goal making Seohyun shouts a little. She’s glad that she’s alone right now, if not it will be embarrassing.

Luhan and his teammates celebrate his goal with high-five. Seohyun can’t stop staring at him as she admires with his physical looks; baby-faced, a pair of doe eyes, prominent jaw line, her ideal guy. Her thought stops when she heard girls squealing and screaming his name. Luhan is really popular because of his looks. That’s why a lot of girls are going crazy over him. He passes by them and waves with a smile at the girls making them screaming louder.

Her heart clenched after seeing that scene. She is so jealous with all those girls. They are really pretty, unlike her. She is a nerd student who only focuses in studying ever since she was young. But when she entered high school, this guy named Luhan often disturbed her mind. She can’t stop thinking about him. What kind of spell does he have? They did encounter several times but mostly during the Students’ Achievement Ceremony where both of them became a top students in school. But she never talked to him for once.

Knowing Luhan and his popularity, Seohyun knows that she did not match with Luhan. She’s not pretty and a guy like him should be with a pretty and popular girl. She didn’t know if Luhan actually has a girlfriend because she never heard of it but she often heard that there are a lot of girls who wants to be his girlfriend and even confessed to him. Seohyun wondered if he accepted it or not. It’s really hurt when she thinks about it.

 

Seohyun walks along the hallway and saw Luhan with his friends talking and laughing. A lot of girls greeted him in which he replies to them. She wants to say ‘hello’ to him but she is so embarrassed and coward to say that. She just walks quickly to pass by him. She breathed heavily after she passed by him. Although she knows that he didn’t look at her, her heart can’t help it but racing so fast that it feels like it’s going to jump out from her chest.

Sigh. She never has a chance to talk to him or even confess to him. He will never like her. He will never become hers.

 


 

Seohyun put her bag on the desk and slides the curtain so that the light will enter her room. What’s making her surprise is that there are 5 birds near her window and the birds stay still even thought she opened the curtain. Another thing is that the birds are so colorful. There are red, yellow, blue, green, and purple colored birds in front of her window. She has never seen these types of birds before but they’re really pretty.

She had an idea. She wants to get close with the birds but whenever she tried to get close with them, they would run away. She wonders if these birds will run away once she opened the window. She opens the window slowly not to scare them. The birds made a chirping sound and fly inside her room making Seohyun falls with her back down.

Suddenly, there’s a spark of light like fireworks in each of the birds and the sparks slowly move up to down. Then, the sparks slowly disappear and revealing 5 girls with colorful sweaters and three of them wearing white shorts while the other two, the tallest and the smallest one wearing skirt with shorts underneath. Seohyun lost her words when there are 5 girls in front of her that were changed from a bird to human. What are they?

“Finally, we become a human again. I’m tired of flailing my wings.” The blond girl with yellow sweater said while stretching her body.

“Ah, my back!” Seohyun could hear the cracking sound from the girl in blue while bending her body backward.

Seohyun blinked. Her brain seems to stop functioning with these girls sudden appearance. She starts to tremble and stammer while she was about to ask them. “W-Who are you people?”

All five girls sat straight with a smile. “Happiness! Hello, we are Red Velvet.”

What is that? They look like girl group who will be perform on stage. “Huh?”

“That’s our cupid name but we do have our own name.” The tall girl responds to Seohyun.

A cupid? Seohyun thought a cupid supposed to be a boy wearing nothing or at least cover their private part and the most important is they should have a pair of wings and bow and arrow. These girls look like the girls that she can see it on TV and they don’t have wings and bow and arrows and they wear sweater and shorts or skirt. “You don’t look like a cupid.”

“We are the modern cupid.” The two ponytail girl answers.

“B-but I just saw you, I mean you’re supposed to be a bird.” Seohyun couldn’t think anything right now. That’s why she mixed up the question that she wants to ask.

“Yes, we are disguised as a bird so that people can see us but we transform as a cupid only for people who able to acknowledge our presence as a bird.” The girl in red explains to Seohyun before she adds, “And no one can see us in cupid form except our master.”

So Seohyun is their master now? This is unbelievable! Every Valentine’s Day, she would see a lot of girls wearing cupid outfit along with bow and arrow as their accessories, not forgetting to put a halo above their head. That’s how the cupid looks like. And these girls who called themselves as cupid? There’s no way she is going to believe them unless they prove to her.

“Prove to me that you are a cupid!” Seohyun challenged to them.

The red girl snaps her finger and sparks of light appear on their left hand. When the sparks is gone, it reveals a bow in each of their hand. They lift the bow and point to Seohyun making her shrieking in fear, worry if they are going to shoot her.

Her reaction making the cupids laugh. “You don’t have to be afraid. This arrow won’t kill you. It will disappear like ashes after it shoots someone and it’s not painful at all.” The blue girl tried to calm her down by explaining to her that she won’t get hurt with this arrow.

Seohyun slowly regains her composure and tries to be comfortable as much as she can. She will try her best to keep calm and don’t get panic easily while trying to have a conversation with them. She takes a deep breath and clears . “So, what are you doing here?”

“We are going to help you.” The green girl answers.

“For what?”

“For getting your crush, Luhan to you.” The purple girl responds.

Seohyun’s eyes widened with gapped in shock. Did she just say Luhan? Luhan, as in her biggest crush Luhan? Wait! How did she know about Luhan? She is so embarrassed right now. No one supposed to know about this. Seo Joohyun, the nerd girl who always focus in study is actually having a crush with Luhan.

“Our instinct says that you have a huge crush on him since you entered high school. You want to confess but you are coward to do that. So, we’re going to help you to make him confess to you instead.” The yellow girl spells out the idea to her.

Well, that’s a good idea. She wants Luhan so much but she has a fear of getting rejected all the time. Maybe with these cupids help, he will become hers. It sounds like she is greedy but she wants to be in love too. She has been thinking what kind of couple they are going to be, or where is the place that they will be going for a date. She wished to have a sweet love with Luhan.

“Okay, I agree. When he will be my boyfriend?” Seohyun asked eagerly.

Now, it’s the cupids turn to surprise. Who would’ve thought that a girl like her wants to have a boyfriend and love? But it’s cupids’ duty to fulfill their master request. “You will get him once we meet him and we will shoot these arrows to him. Wow! I can’t wait!” The blue girl said excitedly.

“But before that, you need to know about us. Each of us had designed a different color and different power. So, when we shoot this arrow, the attitude of the person that we shot will change based on the power that we represent.” The red girl explained to Seohyun before she introduced to her. “By the way, my name is Irene. As you can see, my color is red and my power is love. That means, when I shoot someone with this arrow, that person will develop a feeling of love towards our master.” Seohyun nods at Irene with a smile. Irene represents for love. This will be great for her.

“My name is Seulgi. My color is yellow represents happiness. I spread the happiness between couple.” Seohyun noticed that Seulgi seems to have a cool type of cupid. It’s quite easy to distinguish her because she has small eyes.

“Hello! My name is Wendy, not Wendy from Peterpan but Wendy from Red Velvet. Nice to meet you! My color is blue. Nope! Blue is not for sadness but blue is for courage! I make someone to have courage to confess to our master.” Wendy’s introduction making Seohyun smiles because it’s quite fun.

“I’m the giant baby, Joy. Why I called myself a giant? Because my unnie are so small!” Joy’s remarks making Irene, Seulgi, and Wendy glare at her. “I used to be a maknae but Yeri took my title.” She said with a pout while looking at the purple girl. The purple girl avoids Joy’s eye contact. “But it’s okay because she’s so cute. Anyway, my color is green and I’m represents of hope. Meaning that, I will give positivity towards the couple and like my name I spread a joy to them.”

“Isn’t that my power?” Seulgi asked Joy with a frown.

“Well, we can share our power, right?” Joy making a cute gesture to Seulgi with a hope that Seulgi will share her power.

“No! Stick to your own power! Don’t steal mine!” Seulgi’s warning making Joy pout.

The purple girl comes forward and bows to Seohyun which is different than the other four. “My name is Yeri. I am the maknae. My color is purple and according to my teacher, my power is individuality but I don’t know what that means because I’m still new here and I’m still learning how to use a bow. My teacher said that in order to know the function of my power, I need to do my training with them.” She said in slow and soft voice. She maybe feels lack of confidence because she’s still new and still learning.

Seohyun still hesitates with them but maybe she will give them a chance to prove. But step aside all of this, right now she is thinking about Luhan being her boyfriend.

 


 

The Red Velvet cupids follow Seohyun to her school and they amaze with how her school looks like. It has a big field, big building, and they even have a cafeteria to eat.

“This is so much different than our school, right girls?” Wendy couldn’t stop admire her school and compared it with their own school.

“Cupids have school too?” Seohyun asked bewilderedly. Who would’ve thought that cupid needs a school but she wonders what they are learning at their school.

“Yes, we do! We learn about our power and how to use a bow. We also learn how to aim our target. Besides that, we learn how to disguise into any animal. Our school is not like this. It fills with trees and other animals. It is like a jungle.” Seulgi explained to her.

Seohyun awes with Seulgi’s explanation. She never thought that a cupid needs to learn something like other students in her school. She learns something new today.

“By the way, where is our target now?” Irene asked while looking around the hallway that is filled with students passing by.

“Well, he should be here soon.” Seohyun looked around to find a sight of him while walking towards her locker.

 

“Hey, Seohyun!” They turn to see the owner of the female voice. It is Yoona, Seohyun’s best friend; the only friend that willing to be friend with her. Everyone loves her because she is pretty, unlike Seohyun. Sometimes, Seohyun thought that if she deserves to be her friend.

Yoona walks toward Seohyun with a questioned looks on her face. “Hey, Seohyun! Are you alright? I’ve seen you talking alone. Is there any problem?” Seohyun forgot that no one can see the cupids except her. Now, she looks like a fool talking to nobody. How is she going to answer to Yoona?

“I was just um- revising? While talking? It helps me to remember better.” Seohyun hopes that Yoona didn’t notice that she is lying. She is extremely bad at lying.

“Revising? Do we have a test today?” Yoona frowns while asking Seohyun but at the same time she is worried if she forgets that they have a test today.

“No, we don’t. I have a hard time to understand yesterday’s topic that Ms. Jung’s taught.” Seohyun tried to find another reason to convince Yoona.

“But you taught me that topic when I don’t understand what the heck she is teaching. I swear Seohyun, you taught better than she did. I don’t know what she is babbling in class. But I don’t get why you have a hard time.” Seohyun gulps as she dug her own grave with her excuse.

By the time she wants to answer, Seohyun saw Luhan coming to the hallway. She turns to her right where the cupids are. They look at Luhan and Irene is get ready with her bow and starts to aim at Luhan. She releases the arrow but it passes above his head and it hit the locker before it vanishes in thin air. Seohyun gasps while covering after Irene releases her arrow.

“Seohyun, what is wrong with you? Is there anything happened?” Yoona shakes Seohyun’s shoulder after seeing her friend’s shocking reaction toward something.

Seohyun startles with what happened just now that she couldn’t answer to Yoona. “No, nothing. I’m fine. I need to go to class now. See you later.” Seohyun quickly leaves dumbfounded Yoona to go to her class.

 

The cupids go to the school hall where there is a rehearsal for musical that will be held soon. Luhan took part in this musical and he is the main character of this musical. Seohyun is there as well but she hides herself while observing through the window because she is not part of the musical because of her nerdy looks. To tell the truth, she is really good in singing as well as in dancing.

Red Velvet wanders around the stage to look for Luhan. Wendy stops at this one particular female student who rehearses her script and singing. She frowns when that girl starts to sing. She shakes her head.

“You don’t have a good singing technique at all. Let me show you how to sing properly.” Being the best singer in cupid school, Wendy starts to sing even though no one can hear her except the Red Velvet girls which made them turn to Wendy who was singing alone all of sudden. No doubt, Wendy sings better than that girl.

Seulgi walks towards the full-of-emotion Wendy and pats her shoulder. “The last high note should be longer. Like this,” Seulgi begins to do her high notes. Besides Wendy, Seulgi is also the best singer and out of all the cupid, she is the longest student who studies at the cupid school. So, she knows a lot better.

Seulgi stops when she saw Luhan coming to the stage and immediately takes her bow and aims to Luhan. She releases the arrow and just like Irene, it misses him. Seulgi freezes in her place when her arrow misses Luhan. That‘s the first time. She never missed her shooting before this but she misses Luhan when he is just about a few meters away from here.

Seohyun heaves a heavy sigh after another arrow didn’t hit Luhan. She really wants Luhan so badly and she thought that with these cupids’ help, she will get him right away.

 

The girls sit on the seat that faces to the stage while observing the play. It looks like they forget their purpose to come here. When the dance scene comes out, Seulgi isn’t satisfied with the choreography. It’s an upbeat song but why they are dancing ‘ballet’. Feeling annoyed, Seulgi goes to the stage while folding her arms.

“Who choreographed this hideous dance? Goodness, you’re using an upbeat song but you’re dancing like a squid. Let me show how to dance with this beat.” Seulgi shows off her powerful dance although no one is watching expect Red Velvet. Other than singing, Seulgi is also good at dancing. Her sharp movements make her look more charismatic.

Irene, who was sitting starts to feel the beat while watching Seulgi. She joins her on the stage and follows Seulgi movements. Unlike Seulgi’s sharper moves, Irene’s moves are smoother that make her look natural while dancing.

Luhan joined the stage afterwards and Wendy used this chance to shoot Luhan. She aims towards Luhan and releases her arrow. However, the arrow passes above his head once again making their eyes wide open. Not again!

 

Red Velvet goes to the school field and they are sitting on the bench while watching a football practice. Talking about football, obviously Luhan is going to be there. He is the captain. The team is doing a warm-up before they start their practice for their next match next month. Although it’s still long, they need to practice so that they won the match.

Luhan got the ball that was passed from his teammate to him and goes toward the goal. With one strike, the ball goes inside the goal. All his fan girls cheer his name while screaming making the Red Velvet cupids closes their ears because it is too noisy.

Joy saw Luhan is coming toward their side and she stands up and gets ready with her bow. Closing her left eye, she focuses and follows Luhan’s movement with the arrow to make sure that she hits her target. She will wait until he stops and that is the time she will release her arrow of hope.

Luhan’s movement is getting slower and slower as Joy eager to shoot him and confident enough that he will be hit by her arrow.

“Achoo!” Yeri sneezes and hit her head on Joy’s waist making Joy jerks forward and accidently releases her arrow. To make the thing worse, the arrow not only didn’t hit Luhan but it goes above the clouds! Irene, Seulgi, and Wendy let out a groan when Joy failed her shoot. If it’s not because of Yeri’s sneeze, she would have got it.

Yeri turns to her unnie and smiles apologetically while putting her palms together and slowly rubs it. “I’m sorry, unnie.” She lets out a small giggle when she knows that it’s her fault. “The pom-pom and confetti hit my face and I can’t stand it.” She reasoned out why she was sneezing to defend herself.

 


 

“Argh!” Seohyun let out her frustration when the cupids failed to shoot Luhan with their arrow. She has a kind of regret when she lets them to do their job to get Luhan for her and even have a high expectation that Luhan will be hers.

She puts her head on the desk of her classroom while thinking about this for a week. Yes, it has been a week since the cupids tried to help her to get Luhan but none of them works! She is getting more frustrated that they missed him even with the closest distance. They told her that they never missed anyone that they shoot before but why they missed Luhan?

Unnie, we will try our best to get him. We’re sure about it, unnie.” Joy tried to cheer Seohyun up.

“Do you know that I pray every day so desperately that he will become mine? I’m burning up inside. How come the arrows you shoot are always like this? Just one arrow would be enough but you can’t get him though you are shooting.” Seohyun let out everything that she annoyed about them since day 1. She can’t believe that they can’t get Luhan even when he was unknowingly close with the cupids.

“Relax, unnie! We were just teasing you. We will get him this time.” Irene, Seulgi, Joy, and Yeri look at Wendy with their brows furrow after hearing her statements. They seem like they are hiding something.

“Then, stop teasing me and burning me up! You better send him to me now. I want to have a sweet love and I want to be in love too.” Seohyun mumbled sadly because she wants to be in love. She really does. Even though she is a nerd, but who says that a nerd can’t fall in love? “This is my last request. Please! Just this once.” Seohyun pleaded with her puppy eyes behind her glasses.

They gulp and look at each other not knowing what to do. There is the reason why all four of them didn’t manage to shoot Luhan. According to the cupid law, if a cupid failed to shoot their target so many times even though with close distance, that means the target has fall in love with someone. They didn’t have a heart to tell her that because it will break her heart more.

“Okay, we will try to get him.” Irene muttered slowly but her face looks like she didn’t know what to do and turns to her friends. They have the same look as well. They need to think how to get Luhan to her which is impossible right now.

“Yeri, how about you try to use your arrow?” Seulgi suggested that Yeri should go and shoot Luhan. Yeri blinks when her name was mentioned by Seulgi. Yeri? Shoot Luhan? But she is still learning. There’s no way she wants to mess up with what her unnie messed up before. If her unnie failed, imagine Yeri. She will be worst.

“Why not? You can use this as part of your training. Who knows? Your arrow managed to hit him.” Joy agreed with Seulgi’s idea.

Yeri shakes her head quickly. It is good for her training but this mission is hard. What if she missed Luhan as well? She didn’t want to think about it. “I-I don’t want to. I mean, what-what if I mi-missed him?” Yeri stuttered while looking down and fiddling her fingers.

“You never shoot him before, aren’t you? I always seen Irene, Seulgi, Wendy and Joy trying to shoot him but I have never seen you do that.” Seohyun remembered that she never saw her used her arrow. Not even once.

“That’s because I’m still new. I need to learn from my unnie first before I start shooting. But are you really sure that you want me to do this?” Yeri asked them before she makes a decision. All of them nod including Seohyun. “Okay, I will do it.”

 


 

Unnie, what should I do?” Yeri asked Seohyun. She is so nervous since this is her first time to shoot her target. She wonders what if she messed up as well. That would be a huge embarrassment.

“When he’s looking at me, that’s when you accurately aim. Do you get it?” Yeri nodded to Seohyun’s idea. They made a plan that Seohyun will call Luhan and when he turns to Seohyun, Yeri will shoot her arrow to him.

Seohyun is really nervous. Why did she make that plan? Call his name? Only in her dream. She will call him and Yeri will shoot him. She hopes that this plan will work.

They walk to his classroom and take a peek from the door. Luhan is there. Alone. No one in the class. That’s great. At least she wouldn’t feel embarrassed if something happen. “Okay, he is alone now. Make sure that you aim him accurately. Remember; shoot him when he’s looking at me.” Seohyun reminded Yeri about their plan once again. The other Red Velvet cupids give an encouragement to Yeri and wishes her all the best.

Seohyun takes a deep breath before making a step into Luhan’s classroom. She slowly walks towards him but he didn’t notice. She takes a deep breath once again and opens .

Oppa!”

Luhan turns to the particular voice.

‘Shoot!’

 

“It hits! It hits!” Yeri turns to her unnie with her happy look but they look surprised with their jaw dropped.

“Yeri,” Joy pointed somewhere with a guilty look. Yeri turns to her back and saw Seohyun with an upset mixed with surprise look. Then, she looks at Luhan. With other girl! That girl clings on Luhan’s arm with a big smile.

Oppa, it’s time for our practice now.” She kissed Luhan’s cheek oblivious that someone is hurt while watching them. It even more hurt when Seohyun saw Luhan smiles at her lovingly. When both of them leave the class, Seohyun turns to them. Her eyes brim in tears and she quickly leaves the class as well leaving the cupids.

“Why my power didn’t work on him?” Yeri asked innocently but she sounds so sad.

“The arrow didn’t hit him.” Irene corrected her. “When you shoot, it hit the girl.” She continued and told her the truth.

There is a rule in cupid law. If the cupid shoot the arrow to the the same of their master, the power will be reversed. It means that in Seohyun’s case, Yeri shot the arrow and it accidently hit the girl instead of Luhan. Instead of having a feeling towards Seohyun, that girl will develop her feelings towards her crush and it’s really obvious that the girl likes Luhan or perhaps she is his girlfriend.

“I told you that I will mess it up.” Yeri mumbled sadly.

 


 

Red Velvet surrounds Seohyun who was crying in the library. She is crying in between shelf that is far and isolated from everyone. Seohyun can’t erase the memory of that girl who named Park Chorong kissed Luhan’s cheek. She feels hurt so badly. Red Velvet tries to console her but Seohyun is so mad at them.

“What’s wrong with you? Do you even want to help me fall in love?” Seohyun hissed them making them quiet.

“It’s not like that. It’s just that Luhan is not an easy target. How about you choose a different love? I mean other people that you like.” Seulgi gave a suggestion for Seohyun to pick other people since she didn’t get Luhan.

Seohyun frowns at Seulgi’s idea. Clearly, she didn’t like it. No, she hates it! “No, I don’t want it! I want this love! No matter how many times you convince me to choose another love; I always want this love! I have never felt like this until I saw Luhan!” Seohyun told them strictly. They freeze in their position when Seohyun explodes. Seohyun softens when she saw their reaction. “I know now. You’re just a cupid. You just shoot arrows. You don’t know love. You don’t even care. You don’t know my heart. I guess this is the end. I think I will forget my feelings for him since he has a girlfriend. I’m sorry for pushing you guys. Excuse me, I need to be alone.” Seohyun leaves them and wipes her tears to make sure that no one saw her crying.

“Ah, what are we going to do now?” Wendy leans her back against the shelf while sighing. Their mission failed. Is it a bad thing? Yes, it is.

“We need to do something to break the spell. If not we’re losing our power. I don’t want to lose my power. All the hard work to get this power will vanish in a blink of eye.” Joy said with her tears threatening to fall to think that they are going to start again after losing their power.

It is also a rule in cupid law. If the cupid failed their mission in a month, they will lose their power and in order to gain back their power, they have to go back from the beginning and learn everything from the start.

“I think I have an idea.” Everyone turned to Yeri who seems to have an idea on how to make Luhan and Seohyun together.

 

 

 

 

 


No Seohan moment in this chapter but let's just wait what happen in the next chapter and what is Yeri's idea. Will you guys wait for it? But for now, just enjoy SeoVelvet moment. I'm sorry for late update. I'm so busy with all the tests, assignments, and presentations. I'm getting stressed!

By the way, have you guys listen to EXO new album? I haven't listen yet but I did listen to some of them. I love El Dorado so much. The song that I have been waiting since teaser. Although Luhan is not there anymore, I still love them with 10 members. I'm the type of person who can easily move on so yeah, when I listened to El Dorado M-version, I don't feel like I miss Luhan or something but I love the song so much even with 4 members that made me forget about him. (Sorry, Luhan. Hahaha) Even I watched their MV, it doesn't look empty but today I watched their performance in Music Bank, Tao wasn't there. Gosh, it looks so empty without him. I know that some of you can't move on for his leaving but all we can do is to support both of them. Oh, another thing is, since Luhan isn't there anymore, I can steal Xiumin from him. *evil laugh* Just kidding! =P