Mr Han

A Little Different

Mr. Han was a large powerful man; not nearly as tall as Hongbin’s father but his aura gave him a presence double the size. His gaze was piercing, like he was looking inside Hongbin’s very core as he walked into the study. Hongbin could see where Sanghyuk got his stern stare.
Sitting on two chairs in front of the desk were his parents, Hongbin’s father nodded in greeting as his son walked towards them. A movement behind Mr. Han had Hongbin notice Mr. Kim hovering over his master’s shoulder, a small smile playing on his lips.
“Young master, good to see you, I’ll take it you met young Hongbin here, did you introduce yourselves?” Hongbin turned to see the Tao person closing the door and Sanghyuk coming forward to stand right next to him, a stoic expression on his face. The only reply Mr. Kim’s question got was a sharp nod, before Tao fell in position behind the young master and the room fell silent.


The gentleman at the table leant forward, like a bird of prey examining his next target, Hongbin did his best to stand perfectly still, letting those piercing eyes take in everything. He was happy that he wasn’t wearing his most awful clothes, a simple white t shirt and jeans, not that his fashion was going to affect this meeting, or so he hoped.
Finally, Mr. Han let his gaze wonder to his son, Sanghyuk straightening up immediately holding his gaze unlike Hongbin, who had stared at the floor. After he had been satisfied, Mr. Han broke into what looked like a smile, it wasn’t the biggest Hongbin had ever seen, but he guessed to become the head of a large company you didn’t need smiles.


“Hello, Hongbin, I’ve heard a lot of you from your father." There was a pause, Hongbins father nodding, Mr Kim grinned as his master expected Hongbin, "Seeing you in person it would seem that you are indeed a fine young man.”
Hongbin let out a breathe he hadn’t realized he had been holding, it felt like even if only slightly he had been approved of, by the master of the house. Mr. Han wasn’t finished, “Hyuk, he will be assigned to you, as I’m sure you gathered from the rumors going around the house. I’ll have Tao and the others train him! Looking at him now I am sure he is capable of the task, wouldn’t you think?” The younger boy turned to Hongbin, looking him from head to foot, like he was eyeing something in a showroom window, Hongbin bristled in response.
 “We will see if he manages the training, right father?” ‘Hyuk’ asked with a small smile that made Hongbin want to strangle him, his father nodded, “Yes, if not we will have to think of another task he could do, we will see how things go, now let me introduce you to Mrs Lee, she will be helping your mother around the house and at work, please greet her!”
Hongbin’s mother jumped slightly at the mention of her name and quickly got to her feet, Hyuk dutifully bowed to her, which she mirrored blushing ever so slightly. It must be all so overwhelming for her and Hongbin saw the way she tried to cover her eye, it reminded him of why they were there.
“This is Mr. Lee; he will be taking over Mr. Kim’s job as my assistant.” At the mention of his name Mr. Kim smile grew even bigger, Hyuk bowing to Hongbin’s father in greeting, the new assistant doing the same in return. Hongbin imagined that Mr Kim would be mentoring his father until he was able to fully take on the job, so maybe he wasn't the only one who was going to be tested.


His eyes wondered to Tao, who hadn’t moved from his spot since arriving in the room, so this skinny guy, barely older then himself was going to train him? If Hongbin hadn’t taken a closer look at the other, he would have thought this would be easy but Tao held himself with a perfect strong posture, weight distributed evenly on both legs, perfect for taking action at a moment’s notice. Probably a habit he had, but he must have official training of some sort, even though he was on the thin side, he couldn’t hide the muscular arms under a mere suit.
This was going to be … interesting.

__________
This was hell!
After the introduction and brief tour of the mansion Mr Han decided to join them on, to the surprise of everyone, perhaps he was usually busy, Hongbin had guessed. So he, Hyuk, Tao, Mr. Kim and the little family had stumbled onto the Madam of the house. Gorgeous lady with big eyes, like Hyuk’s and slender body, she had a long dress and a sun hat on and anyone could see she had been in the garden. Under her arm were gloves, a small rake and a bucket, she had been thrilled to meet Hongbin’s mother and whisked her away in the direction of the ladies quarters. Mr. Han had laughed for the first time ever at the sight before they made their way into the gardens.


This was her domain, he had explained, whilst Hongbin couldn’t believe his eyes. Gardens stretched as far as the eye could reach, more fountains, the most colorful flowers ever and in the distance a small lake. It was breathe taking. He heard Hyuk snicker at his expression, and the younger one, only to be stopped by a glare from Tao.


Then Mr. Han, Mr. Kim and his father parted ways with the younger three to introduce them to their quarters. Hongbin had a small room down the passage of Hyuk’s, with a small bathroom. The young master’s bedroom was of course like walking into a different room, it was an apartment for itself. It started with a small entrance area with rows of shoes and coats. Then there was a study, with large windows where you could see the garden. Followed by a huge bedroom, with a queen sized bed covered in stuffed toys, it looked more like one of those kings bedroom you would see in those old castles then a teenager’s bedroom.


Hyuk hopped onto the sofa under the window, whilst Tao remained standing at the door with Hongbin.  “If you survive the training, you will need to know your way around the mansion. You are allowed in my study all the time, for now the bedroom and the bathroom is off limits to you and Tao will show you how to get there from your place, there is a secret door. Understood?” the tone in his voice didn’t match the blank expression he wore, Hongbin bet if he could, Hyuk would be smirking at him, he probably was taught never to show what he felt. Grumbling he nodded, before Tao moved next to him gesturing Hongbin to follow him. As the two of them were about to leave Hyuk’s quarters, Hongbin faintly heard a “Good luck!” from the bedroom, he couldn’t pinpoint if it was sarcastic or earnest. But given how the other had acted around him until now it definitely must have been sarcastic.
That little brat, I’ll show him, were his parting thoughts.

 

Hongbin ducked as a foot swung close to his face, this was definitely hell! Currently in the private gym hall of the mansion, in the cellar, Hongbin was facing off Tao and another guy called Xiumin. He had completely underestimated the smaller new guy, he was absolutely ruthless. After a short introduction, he had simply stated, “We’re going to try beating you to a pulp, if you’re still standing after an hour, you pass!”


As he saw one of Tao’s kicks going for his feet, he jumped back automatically, only to find Xiumin there with a strong punch to his face. Barely in the nick of time was he able to raise his own arms to block the swing, it reminded him so much of what had happened earlier that day. They were so strong, nothing like a group of seven thugs though, they were trained. Tao knew, after what he had seen, a form of martial arts, elegant movements and rhythm in his step. On the other hand Xiumin, despite being small as he was, had a huge amount of strength and knew where to land punches and they were real punches.
There was so much power in that body of his, Hongbin was trying really hard not to let him get to any of his vital points, which was proving difficult given those were exactly the points he was after.  Hongbin could run of course, it was his strength, but with Tao and Xiumin both coming at him, it was difficult to escape. Not to mention, if he left the gym if also counted as loosing. Another swing from Xiumin, which he barely managed to block, ripped him out of his thoughts and threw him back a few steps.


As he stood up from the last blow, he felt his side hurting from those thugs. Cursing softly, as he gripped his side, he thought maybe he should have a look, what if it was bad? However at that moment he looked up as a movement caught his eyes; Tao had used the chance and launched himself at him going for another high kick. The distraction of his pain hadn’t gone unnoticed; Xiumin was already by the other’s side preparing a fierce punch. Hongbin suddenly felt a rage like never before, why had he let himself be distracted? The whole time he had been in the defense and these two! They hadn’t even broken sweat since they started, and he was panting already and getting distracted by some stupid pain in his side? They were having fun from what he could see. They must think this was their chance to take him down for good! He wasn’t going to go down because he had been distracted! He was definitely not going to give them that pleasure! They might be trained professionals; they might think he isn’t worth it. That Xiumin character definitely thought he couldn’t make it, it had been too obvious as they had been introduced.

 

Especially, he didn’t want to see Hyuk’s face should he hear that he had been defeated because of such a mistake!

With the new found power fueled by his anger, his body moved almost automatically at a speed he didn’t know he possessed. Quickly ducking under Tao’s leg, from his position on the floor he grabbed Tao’s pivot leg and tugged it up to meet Xiumin’s punch, ripping Tao off his balance and making Xiumin panic as his strong hit met his comrade’s shin. It had happened so faster the smaller guy was staring in shock at his fist as Tao rolled in pain on the floor, “You arse! My leg!!!” “Ya! I didn’t see that coming!! I’m sorry!!” whilst apologizing Xiumin reached out a hand to help the martial artist on his legs again, Tao patted his back, “It’s okay, you managed to soften the blow before the impact, if you were using your full power I wouldn’t walk!”


The two of them faced Hongbin, they wore big smiles and for the first time since arriving in the mansion Hongbin felt like they were honest smiles. “That was a surprise; you’re pretty fast, Hongbin!” Xiumin grinned, “Maybe you do have some potential!” The newbie tilted his head, was he teasing him? As much as he tried searching the older one’s face, he couldn’t find anything that indicated a joke.
Tao turned to look at the big watch on the wall behind them, “Half an hour, not bad. Xiumin you’re going to owe Yixing some money if he makes it!” “I know I know!” Xiumin waved his hand, at Hongbin’s confused and slightly annoyed expression, he explained, “We bet if you would and if you wouldn’t make it. After what I had heardthe rumors about you, I’ll admit that I didn’t believe you would even accept taking this test! But now, I’m actually quite intrigued! So, Hongbin!”


At a silent signal he and Tao split, slowly walking apart, Hongbin immediately taking a stance, bracing for the oncoming onslaught. As they got to the opposite side of Hongbin, Tao to his right and Xiumin to his left, his eyes darting from one to the other, arms up, legs ready to run, they got into their own stances. With a bright smile Xiumin added, “Half an hour to go, so please… do prove me wrong, Lee Hongbin!” And then they launched themselves at him, Hongbin’s mind going into overdrive once again.


After their fight before hand, he knew Tao was going to try kicking again, probably a high one, and Xiumin would aim for his neck, given his stance made it an easy access point. Not this time! He wasn’t strong so he really wouldn’t be able to continue to block their blows, so he had to find a different way to deflect them. He raised his right arm to meet Tao’s kick, however instead of meeting its full force he let it slid along his arm, directing it away from himself, managing to minimilize the damage. Xiumin’s punch was almost on him as he used the force of pushing Tao away to duck under the punch, Xiumin having to brake before he hit Tao in the stomach. On the other hand, not wanting to be pulled off balance again, Tao swiftly retracted his leg and went for two chops to Hongbin’s back, which he had seen before; one of Tao’s opening moves. So as he rolled to where he had seen they couldn’t read, to the front out of harm’s way, he felt the rush of air and heard the thud of those fists meeting the floor he had just been on, thankful they hadn’t made contact with him.


“He’s a smart one, they were right! He knows what you’re going to do, Tao!” Xiumin couldn’t stop laughing; this made Tao pout, “Don’t give me that look! He’s figured out how to block your kick and chops!” “Don’t laugh; he knows your moves too!!” “All I do is punch; it doesn’t take an Einstein to figure that out!” Hongbin took the time where Xiumin was dying of laughter to stand up and dust himself off, they were a strange pair. They were still having so much fun and for Hongbin this was about so much more. The pain in his side reminded him of his purpose, this was  to prove to everyone Mr. Han, his father, his mother and Hyuk that he was able to change! To show Mr. Kim he wa able to do something to repay them for their help! And these two were laughing?


“Was that all?? A kick and a chop? Wasn't that hard to figure out!” he asked before he could stop himself, he didn’t mean it to sound rude but he was starting to feel annoyed that they were taking this so lightly!


Xiumin and Tao heard him and without warning their expressions turned dark, Hongbin was slightly taken back as the smiles disappeared, and as Xiumin spoke he sounded like he was scolding him, “We have been ordered to go lightly on you, being that on your job of protecting the young Master! We don't expect you will be facing off a martial art expert and a former boxer, we will not go full force on you! Tao refraining from using all of his ‘moves’ to not render you completely useless to that cause is that understood?”


“Given that they don’t send a group of ninjas after you!” Tao gave a small grin, in an attempt to lighten the atmosphere, but Hongbin was only able to stare. It made sense, Tao had said before that Xiumin wasn’t using his full force and now that he thought about it, which martial artist only knew two moves?!
The older of the two sighed, “You have still a lot to learn, Hongbin. You need to learn to control that anger of yours first, it will otherwise get you into a lot of trouble!”
Hongbin looked down at his fists, not once had he been able to lift them to strike during this fight, he had just been ducking and avoiding blows. They were completely out of his league; this only made him feel even more frustrated. He was completely helpless, and this was only a test?


“You got twenty minutes left, you up to it?”Xiumin asked pointing at the clock.
Quietly Hongbin clenched and unclenched his hands before taking a deep breath, Xiumin and Tao’s expressions softened as he looked up, new determination in his eyes and nodded.
Off they went.

______
Hyuk had looked honestly surprised as a slightly ruffled and exhausted Hongbin had marched into his study with a victorious expression on his face, the first words that left his mouth “How did you make it? Did you cheat?” turned that expression from joyous to murderous in a mere split second.
Tao had hardly appeared in time to stop the new bodyguard from ripping out that cheeky tongue of his. “Hongbin, Hongbin, calm down! You’re meant to protect him from harm! Not harm him yourself!” he scolded, Hongbin was seething through his teeth, “But does he have to be such a brat about it?!”


Tao gasped and Hongbin swore he saw Hyuk’s stoic expression turn to one of shock before quickly catching himself, without hesitation Tao dragged him out of the room and pinned him to the nearest wall.
“What did we tell you?! Control that anger! Xiumin said: the first task was to pass the test! Now the next task was to try and get along with the young master! You cannot call him a brat like that!!!” Hongbin blinked, “Why ever not?” Tao couldn’t believe his ears, “He is the master and it is rude!” “But it is true!!” “That isn’t very accura-“ “I think it is pretty damn accurate!” “Would you please not swear?” The pleading look on the exotic guy’s face made Hongbin finally give in and he huffed, “What do I have to do?”


“Well it is late today, so be quiet and I’ll see you tomorrow!” both of the body guards heads snapped around to see Hyuk peeking out of his room wearing that smug little smile, as Hongbin bristle ready to give a piece of his mind, he felt Tao pinch his back and instead yelped in pain. “Very well, young master! We will see you tomorrow!” Tao bowed and with his hold on Hongbin he was forced to do the same action.


This was hell. He thought as he got into his bed just an hour later, he had explored his room and looked out at the garden for a while, in the dark it looked very different then during the day, the lighting the Madam had set up made it look like a carpet of stars that complimented the night sky. After checking his phone and writing some friends he was still alive, he sighed as they asked when they were going to see him again. They didn’t know the details of his situation, not that he could tell them, and all they knew were the thugs that they had seen go after him.


Turning to his side, he tried to push those thoughts away, for now he had to focus on not killing this young master of his, and not what his friends were doing.
To think that barely a week ago, he was having a lovely evening with a lovely girl, Julia, Jenny? It felt like a dream, a completely different world.
In shock he found he was smiling, for the first time in ages he was grinning, immediately he whipped the look from his face. How could he be smiling at a time like this?
It was exciting…
For the first time in a while, he was excited… being chased by a gang and now this. Taking care of a young rich snob, this was exciting. His life till now had been a grey monotone day, go out, and play around.
Sticking around here would be exciting.

As he fell asleep, feeling slightly giddy about the thought, he failed to notice the secret door that Tao had showed him earlier open ever so slightly. Two big eys watched as the guy on the bed unconsiously broke into a smile and roll over in the bed, there was a quiet snort and the door fell shut.

_____

"I believe Hyuk has taken a liking to him, Master." Tao was giving the last report on Hongbin's assessment to Mr Han, his boss smiled. "That would be a first but you're right, haven't seen him smile in a while... Your son is special!" as Mr Han spoke to him Mr. Lee bowed in thanks, Mr Kim standing next to him grinned as he saw the other swelled up in happiness and slight pride.


"There is just this anger in him, that might cause problems... other then that everything seems to be in order!" The men took in this information, Hongbin's father already knowing of this sighed. Mr Han nodded and decided, "Tao, you keep an eye on that, for now, it should okay, we should be able to deal with that! He is still young! Well then, you are dismissed!"
Tao nodded and backed out of the study.

 

Everyone had gathered in the kitchen, Xiumin had already handed over his lost money and his side of the story. As Tao entered everyone swarmed him asking if anything else had happened and how Mr Han had reacted. To add to the dramatic, Tao stood on one of the kitchen stood and put a finger on his lips. After a few minutes of silence and everyone's attention focused on him, he announced, "He called Hyuk a brat... to his face!"


"..." "...." "..." "WHat-!" "HE DIDN'T!" Mr Kim, who was walking by at that moment, heard gales of laughter errupt from the kitchen, he smiled, things would definately become interesting around here with the new comers.
Especially a certain Hongbin.