chapter 4

ma cerise

You hadn’t realized you’d fallen asleep until Ravi was shaking you awake. He’d come around to the passenger door and was kneeling against the frame at your side. He was grinning, but there was something in his eyes you couldn’t quite place. You stretched as you unbuckled your seatbelt, leaning towards the dashboard to look out the front window. You didn’t recognize where you were, but you could see the city in the distance from the hill you were parked on top of.

The view was spectacular. You looked towards Ravi as he stood. He offered a hand and you took it, stepping out of your car. He led you closer to the edge, releasing your hand to put his own in his pockets.

"Pretty amazing, huh?"

You nodded. "It's beautiful. I don't know how I never knew about this place."

"It's one of those natives only things. Uh... speaking of which don't tell anyone I brought you here."

“Who am I going to tell? Everyone I talk to grew up here. They probably already know about this place.”
Ravi laughed, and you looked at him as he nodded. He didn’t say anything, and you couldn’t blame him. Even you didn’t want to ruin the beauty of the moment by saying something stupid. You went to the trunk of your car. You could feel Ravi watching you, but you still didn’t say anything. You pulled out a sketchbook and box of pencils from the trunk, as well as two folding camp chairs.

When you turned back to him, his eyebrows were raised. He didn’t remain stunned too long, though, and rushed forward to take the chairs from you. You directed him as to where you wanted them, then had him sit so the sun was behind him. He sat wordlessly, though he wore an expression of amusement. You just smiled at him as you began sketching. It was almost like the first time sketching him, back at the cafe. The movements of your hand came easily, the shape of his face, his eyes, his nose… his lips. Everything came so natural to you that you barely even had to look at him for reference. And he was quiet through the whole thing, even when you flipped to a new page and started sketching again. He never took his eyes off you, though. You noticed that each time you happened to glance up. He wasn’t watching you, but he was looking at you.
You fidgeted in your chair, and eventually closed the sketchbook without finishing the second drawing. He was still looking at you, but he was definitely watching you this time. He stood when you did, and went straight to your side, looking confused.
“We should probably get back to campus. Or home. I don’t know.” You started packing up the chair, and when he helped you, you moved away from him. “I have an early museum visit, so I need to get back.”
“I never-”
“I know.” You turned a forced smile on him, holding your hands out. “I’ll drive back, and drop you off at your hotel.”

“Alright…”
He helped you back up the camping chairs and put them in the trunk with your sketchbook and pencils, and in minutes you were off. You’d fallen asleep on the ride over, but from where you were on the overlook, it wasn’t hard to find your way back into the city. The ride was quiet, and when you reached the hotel he didn’t move from the seat. You were holding the steering wheel so tight your knuckles were white. They felt clammy, but you didn’t want to move them. You could see him watching you from the corner of your eye, but you didn’t move. Your heart felt like it was in your throat, and you could feel it beating in the blood that was rushing through your ears.

Sometime in the moments of drawing him on the overlook you had begun to think of him. It wasn’t unusual for you to think about the subjects you drew- what they would look like in different lighting, how their hair would look if you moved it another way. But those were not the thoughts you’d been having of Ravi. They were different thoughts… deeper. How long you’d get to spend your days together just quietly doing what you both enjoyed. When he’d stop calling or texting your or showing up at your door or in your classes. If he still saw you as a scapegoat, or even a friend or…

“-understand what’s going on.”

You pulled yourself away from the returning thoughts and heard his voice. You didn’t realize what he had said, so you looked at him again. He was staring out the front window, scowling. His cheek rested in his hand. It was another drawing just waiting to happen, but you swallowed that feeling.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t hear that. What did you say?”
He looked at you, and the scowl softened into something… else. You looked away when your heart flipflopped in your throat and dropped to your stomach.

“I said… you’re acting weird and I don’t understand what’s going on.” He shifted in his seat so he was slightly closer to you. “Was it something I did? Did I offend you?”

You shook your head. He didn’t offend you… but it was definitely something he did. Everything he did. You were getting too attached to your art subject, to your… what even was he to you? You didn’t know, and that in itself was part of the problem. You gripped the steering wheel tighter, and he reached over and pried your fingers off it. He held your hands in his, and you felt your heart start to do flip flops again, racing around your rib cage. You wanted to pull away, but you were frozen.

“I need to get back, Ravi…”

He released your hands. You dared to look at him again. He looked hurt, confused… utterly at a loss. You put your hands back on the steering wheel, and he finally moved. He got out of the car, and entered the hotel without so much as looking back. You waited until he was out of sight, and drove away. You knew exactly what the problem was, and it would’ve been his biggest problem. You already broke the only rule he had. You’d already fallen in love without realizing it.