chapter 3

ma cerise

Over the next couple days you found yourself looking forward to your afternoons with Ravi. The day after he had made his proposition, you were extremely shocked to find him waiting outside the student art room for you. There’d been a few whispers as your classmates left class, and Ravi was sweet enough to sign a few autograph and poses for a few selfies. He could only grin when you watched him, completely baffled. His excuse was that it was easier this way. Easier for who, you had no idea. It wasn’t necessarily a hassle to have him meet you at class, and your classmates were amazed rather than bitter at your sudden friendship. However, the summers here were hot and humid, and by the fifth day it was starting to look like walking from the hotel to campus was taking its toll on Ravi.

You two were sitting in your condo living room one the fifth day, having already made your rounds to some popular spots on campus and around town to guarantee that word got out you two were seen together that day. Ravi was sitting on the floor, eating a popsicle while you drew silently on the couch. You two never really had a lot to talk about once your “dates” were over, but Ravi kept insisting on going to your place. You didn’t know why, but you felt it may have had something to do with the hotel. You’d get antsy if you had to stay somewhere you didn’t know well for a long period of time. You didn’t mind, because he mostly kept to himself. He had a small pocket sized notebook he usually doodled or scribbled words in, but today it seemed like he hadn’t brought it.

You were pulled away from your thoughts and absent doodling when he stood to throw away the popsicle stick. You could see his shirt sticking to his back from sweat, his hairline was soaked. You frowned.
“Don’t you have a car?”

He looked at you from the kitchen, pausing as he pushed the lever to lift the trash lid.
“I mean, unless you like walking everywhere.”
He laughed, shaking his head and letting the popsicle stick fall into the trash bin. He returned to his spot on the floor, maintaining his distance.

“Man, it . But I don’t have a car, and it’s not like anyone would let me drive it if I did have one.”

“Well, why don’t we take mine?”

You weren’t sure if time had actually broken. Ravi was completely still as he stared at you. It was only for a few seconds, but you suddenly felt self-conscious. You scratched at your collarbone, realizing you were in just a tank top, and suddenly you were reaching for your jacket. You shrugged into it, and only then did you notice Ravi blink.
“Okay, I get it. Do you want to see it?”

He was on his feet faster than you had time to blink, and then you were suddenly being manhandled towards the door. You reached for your keys by the door, but Ravi already had them in hand and was still hustling you out the door.

“Ravi, you don’t even-”

He left your side to hurry towards the parking lot, pushing buttons on your keys. Seconds later, the car alarm sounded down the row of parked cars. He was running for the car before you realized it, hopping into the drivers seat and starting the car. You walked over to him, curious and amused at his behavior, and stood next to the drivers door. He rolled down the window.

“Why haven’t you said anything sooner? Hop in, I wanna show you something that’s too far to walk.”
You laughed, and it felt good. He was looking at you when you leaned against the doorframe.

“This is my car.”
“I’ll drive safe.”
You raised an eyebrow at him.
“Okay, I’ll do the speed limit. I do have my license.”

He braced himself against the seat and wriggled his wallet from his back pocket, opening it to reveal his license. You stared at the picture before breaking out into laughter, holding your sides. He leaned out the window, patting you on the back as you began coughing from laughing so hard.
“What’s so funny?”
“That can’t be you,” you managed.
“Why not?”
You shook your head, but walked around the car and climbing into the passengers seat. You buckled, making sure you watched him the whole time you did. You made a big motion out of clicking your seatbelt in. Ravi just rolled his eyes at you, and you smiled.
“Just remember it’s my car.” He was suddenly on his best behavior.