01.

Parallax

Another day, another shot. Eunjo walked ever so casually as if the hustle and bustle of the streets of Seoul were nothing to her. She was carrying her camera bag, a little case which seemed to contain her whole life, and a shoulder bag carrying the rest of her belongings. She made her way to the subway to make it today’s destination: Garosugil.

She quit school to become a freelance photographer. Despite her mother’s disappointment, Eunjo believed this was the path she should be taking. She has been like this for 2 years now and although she’s having the time of her life, she admits that it’s about time she stepped up her game and earned bigger. Not that her family was financially challenged or anything. She just wanted to prove herself. After all, she was undeniably talented.  With a sigh of relief, Eunjo stepped inside the subway train, happy that she got there on time.

Today’s client isn’t someone to be taken for granted. She thought, nodding to herself. While Eunjo was in deep thought, the familiar sound of her ringtone filled the subway car she was in. Embarrassed, she immediately rummaged through her bag to find her phone and she quickly answered it with a whisper.

“What?” she whisper-shouted to the caller, obviously annoyed of the disturbance.

“Why are you mad so early in the morning?” The caller from the other line giggled, oblivious of the current happening inside the subway train Eunjo was in.

“I told you not to call me until an hour after I leave. Now everybody’s staring at me here and it’s your fault,” Eunjo was trying hard not to show her annoyance to the other passengers beside her

“Oh, you’re still in the subway train?”

“Noooo,” Eunjo rolled her eyes and sarcastically replied.

“Well, anyway, mom asked me if you were coming home for dinner today. Dad’s firing up the grill. And you know what that means. Meat!”

“Did you really call me just to ask if I wanted to come home for meat?”

“Ye—No? Uhm, Yes?”

“Riseul-ah, that should never be a question. You know I’d say yes to meat anytime,” Eunjo said, now brightening up at the thought of her family bonding towards the end of the day.

“I thought you were going to shout at me again,” Riseul heaved a sigh of relief as her sister smiled at the other end of the line. My sister is really something, she thought.

“Well, I’m almost at the station. Behave yourself and help mom with the shop today,” Eunjo reminded her younger sister.

“You’re talking to me as if I’m a kid. I’m 17!” Riseul whined, obviously not living up to what she just said.

“That’s still not old enough to be considered legal, is it? Bye, Riseul~” Before her sister could protest, she hung up and bowed to the other passengers for the previous disturbance she caused.

Several minutes passed and the train arrived at Sinsa station. Eunjo quickly stood up from her seat and walked out of the train. As she was walking straight to the exit which will take her to Garosugil, she can’t help but feel a little bit anxious to the point that her palms were slightly sweating.

I shouldn’t mess up today. This client really isn’t a joke. Eunjo’s client today is one semi-famous model with connections to bigger companies and this project might give her the big break she was aiming for. Apparently, the model couldn’t find a studio photographer who would finish the shoot on the deadline. If this doesn’t go well, she would have to search high and low for clients again and again and again….

“10:30 am. I still have time to get a cold drink,” she whispered to herself as she walked the streets of Garosugil, trying to ease her anxiety through the artsy feel of the place. Garosugil is a mecca for aspiring artists and designers. No wonder Eunjo felt like she belonged.

“How may I help you, miss?” the male café employee who looked a bit younger than her asked. “A hot or cold drink for the pretty lady?” Eunjo just shook her head at the unnecessary flirting and bad pronunciation. I haven’t even landed a foot inside the café and I already have this to welcome me.

“You’ll scare customers away with what you’re doing, you know?” Eunjo adviced, showing her usual outspoken self while walking towards the counter. This was her way of being a friendly and sociable person. In fact, most of her friends were won over through her outspoken and laid back self.

“Huh? The girls like it though,” he scratched the back of his head to show frustration. “Anyway, what would you like then?” the employee said casually this time.

“That’s better. Hm, iced mocha with extra cream please.”

“Coming up,”

“Thank you…..” Eunjo searched for the guy’s nametag. “Bam…bam? Is that your real name?” she suppressed a giggle.

“Wah… You criticize my welcoming skills and my name, too. I’m Thai. Now do you get it?” The employee laughed along with her.

“Ah…That’s cool. Keep working hard, then.” Eunjo said, waving off the topic. She waited for her dink at the counter and had small talk with the employee.  

“Do you happen to know where Namu Park is?”

“Ah, it’s just a five-minute walk from here. Just take the first right there then walk straight, you’ll see a large tree decorated with lanterns. That’s the mark,”

“Thanks, Bambam. I’ll see you around. Don’t scare customers away,” Eunjo grabbed her drink and walked off, waving at the new acquaintance she made.

“I’ll try. Thanks, noona!” Bambam replied.

Psh, still flirty until the end. How sure is he that I’m older than hi- Wait, do I look that old? Gosh…. She had a debate against herself inside her head about the matter and walked towards the park.

When she reached the park where she was supposed to meet Seo Inhyung, the model client, fell agape.

“This location is perfect,” Eunjo mumbled as she admired the tree-lined park. “I can do this. Go Eunjo!” she cheered herself on as she continued to walk through the enticing park.

“Bae Eunjo?” she turned around when she heard her name being called.

“Oh, hi.” She bowed. It’s her, it’s her. She repeated inside her head, containing her excitement. “I was just looking for you. Are you ready for the shoot?”

“Hours ago. I didn’t think you were the kind to be just on time. I expected you to come so much earlier since you said you wanted this so much,” she snickered and turned around to walk straight, signaling Eunjo to follow.

Darn, couldn’t she just be happy I’m on time? No, Eunjo. Be patient. You want this. You can’t snap on her now.

“I’m sorry, Ma’am,” she bowed. “It won’t happen again,”

“That’s if I even hire you again,” the woman smirked and shook her head. “Get good shots of me. I’m sending this to an international magazine company branch in Korea. You better be good,”

What a . Eunjo just nodded and went on with the shoot. She fixed her lenses and stated taking shots of the model. How could she look this innocent when her attitude ….She thought as the model posed innocently, wearing a flowy floral sleeveless dress and white sandals.

“Can we get a back shot of you walking?”

“If I turn around, how will they see my face, you idiot?”

“Excuse me? I’m doing this so that they can see the rest of your features aside from your face,” Which is probably all covered with makeup. “…Ma’am, I think the company will appreciate if we-”

“Just shut your mouth and take shots of me will you?”

“You know what I-” Eunjo almost exploded.

“What?” The model raised her eyebrows, waiting for what Eunjo will say next.

“I’m just going to get my other lens. This one’s getting kind of cloudy. Wait, please,” She politely said and turned around to pretend to be fixing her camera, but really, she was just venting off some impatience. Who does she think she is? She better be thankful I’m dealing with her.

An hour and a half has passed and they finally finished the shoot. She didn’t hear much from the model throughout the rest of the shoot because she was too busy feeling the innocent vibe. As if.

“Okay. Get these mailed to me by tomorrow. All of them,” the model stated to walk away after she scribbled her mailing address on Eunjo’s notebook.

“Tomorrow? Wait, miss. I thought these were due 3 days from now?” Eunjo chased after her, still trying her best to be polite despite her annoyance and frustration. “We have like a thousand photos. I can’t have them printed and mailed to you in a day.”

“Deadline of the company is three days from now. My deadline is tomorrow. I need time to pick the 10 photos I’ll be sending. Duh,” The model walked away again. Eunjo chased after her again.

“Don’t you think it’ll be easier to pick the photos digitally and just print out the 10 you like? You know, save time and the….earth?” she tried to persuade the stubborn model.

“Listen, it’s either you mail all of these to me by tomorrow or I don’t pay you. Didn’t you say you wanted to be a famous photographer? I’m just helping you,” She harshly told her. “I might be your bridge to the big break you want, we’ll never know. Oh, and good photographers I know don’t whine,” she snapped and walked away.

Eunjo was left with her frustration. “On situations like this, I might’ve slapped her right in the face and broke her nose but since I want this so much, I’m going to stop myself and work hard on my photos,” she whispered to herself and breathed slowly to relax her currently fuming head. After she cooled down, she grabbed her stuff and walked around Garosugil to find a decent studio who would accept to print her photos in a span of one day.