Chapter 4 - Can We Be Friends?

Our Pre-Debut Love Story (EXO)
Chanyeol dumped his tray of food onto the table, right next to Yejin's, before plonking himself down onto the red transparent plastic chair. He nodded at his new friend and dongsaeng to do the same. Sehun hesitated for a moment while sneaking several glances at Yejin and Seulgi before mimicking his new hyung.
Chanyeol began digging through his food when he felt sharp pain on his left arm. He was about to scream in pain when he snapped his head and glared at the mean girl on his left. "What the he-" Chanyeol fumed angrily but his sentence was cut off by hers.
"Who do you think you are, Mr Newbie? Can't you see that this table is taken?" Yejin said obnoxiously. "Newbies like you belong to the bar counter table, not here." She continued while pointing her slender and fair finger at the long standing table on the other end of the room where both Soojung and Amber were standing and eating their lunch together.
Chanyeol glared right into her pair of slightly brown-coloured eyes. Nah, they can't be real. The brown must have been the coloured contact lenses. Chanyeol snickered to himself.
He decided to ignore her sarcastic remark and returned his attention to his free lunch. The lunch was surprisingly delicious, partly because he was starving since he did not have breakfast before his dance training, which drained all the energy from his body.
"Excuse me!" Yejin poked her long and manicured nail on his arm once again. "Are you deaf? Or are you mute? Or do you not understand Korean?!"
Yejin was furious. How dare he ignore me? I am his senior after all! This dude has no manners!
Both Seulgi and Sehun were lost for words. Neither of them had wanted to go in between Yejin and Chanyeol's heated arguments. Both of them would rather stay of out any troubles. As much as Seulgi loved Yejin and wanted to be on her side, she knew that Yejin was being unfair and bullying the newbies.
Sehun, on the other hand, liked this new hyung very much but he was very afraid of Yejin. She had this scary aura and vibe surrounding her that made him felt small and inferior. He knew that if he were to side Chanyeol, life as a trainee in SM will become tough. He did not want that. So he chose to ignore the commotion, just like Seulgi, he ate his lunch quietly.
When the three of them ignored Yejin, she slammed down her utensils back onto the tray before grabbing the entire tray and stomping away. She threw her leftovers at the tray return counter and left the cafeteria. Her aura still lingered.
The remaining three of them ate their food silently. The atmosphere was still tense. Seulgi was upset that Yejin left her alone with the two newbies but she knew that it was her fault because she did not help Yejin when she looked her helplessly.
"So... where are you guys currently studying now?" Seulgi asked the two of them, trying to conjure some sort of friendly conversation to make the situation less awkward.
"Hyundai High." Chanyeol repiled without looking at her. He had no interest in making any small talks with her.
"I am waiting for my enrollment in School of Performing Arts Seoul." Sehun said. "I have an entry audition in a week!"
"Oh my god, me too! Is yours the coming Tuesday?" Seulgi exclaimed. He was the fifth 94'liner that she knew who was applying for the same high school as her. It's going to be an awesome school with all the people that I know. Seulgi couldn't wait to graduate from middle school, she was so tired of hiding the fact that she was contracted as a trainee under SM from her classmates, who were so different from her.
In SOPA, she would be free because only trainee-to-be or trainee like her would attend a performing arts school. It was her dream school. She would no longer have to study for Mathematics or Science, she could focus entirely on developing her talent in dance and singing.
"You are born in 1994 too?" Sehun asked with huge curiosity. "I thought you were a 93'liner because you hang out with Yejin."
"She's my unnie. But we dropped all the formalities a long time ago because we knew each other for quite a while already." Seulgi replied as a matter of fact.
"Cool, but she still seem quite scary to me though." Sehun admitted.
"It will get better once you get to know her as a person. She has a kind heart and is pretty decent but not everybody know that, which is one reason why I will stick with her till death do us apart." Seulgi smiled, hoping that she could change the newbies' impressions of her best friend.
"I am done." Chanyeol announced. Both Sehun and Seulgi were so engrossed in their conversation that they had both forgotten about the fact that Chanyeol was still around. They both jumped slightly when he stood up with his empty tray out of the blue. "I am heading back to the practice room."
"I guess I should probably go and find Yejin too." Seulgi said as she gathered her plates neatly back onto the tray.
Before she left, Sehun called out her name. "Seulgi. I can call you Seulgi right? We are friends right?"
"Uh, I suppose we can be friends." Seulgi nodded before rushing out of the cafeteria, embarassed. All the trainees and staffs who were at the cafeteria having lunch all looked at her when Sehun asked that question. She blushed as she took the stairs back to the practice room.
Apologies for the super late updates. I am having my finals now :(