it's been so long, im tired

no longer

Jimin never knew whether it was the day they first met, that Jungkook's smile was the brightest he had ever seen in his entire life.

It was a normal afternoon for Jimin, who had just started high school. Jungkook did look younger, but he advanced two grades because he caught up with his studies quickly. Jimin was hanging out with his usual bunch of friends when he first met Jungkook, who was laughing and playing with Taehyung and Hoseok.

"Jungkookie!!" Taehyung grabbed Jungkook's arm and pulled him to turn in his direction. "Hoseok hyung and I are planning to go out after school, do you want to come?" Jungkook laughed and nodded. "Sure, anyway it's not like I have anything to do. Meet me outside the gate." Taehyung smiles and links arms with Jungkook, making their way back to class.

Jimin had always been enchanted by Jungkook, be it his natural cheeky smile, or the way he spoke. He was like a masterpiece in Jimin's eyes.

It wasn't like Jungkook hadn't caught onto Jimin's longing stares or attempts at initiating conversations, Jimin never knew if he was shy or he just wasn't interested in him.

"Jimin hyung! Fancy seeing you here in the studio. You're into Music and Dance?" Jungkook looks at Jimin curiously, as if he were really interested in making friends with Jimin. "Oh, yeah. I've been interested in Dance since I was 8, so I moved to Seoul to try dancing. It was cool meeting you too, see you during practice." Jimin ruffles Jungkook's hair and walks away. He shyly smiled to himself and thought he was brave for replying Jungkook. Jungkook glances in his direction and smiles gently, understanding Jimin's passion for dance.

Jungkook had many friends. It wasn't like he played around, he was popular and friendly. Girls and boys talked to him and he had many admirers. Jimin was just another face in the crowd.

Interest was the word to describe Jungkook's curiosity towards Jimin. Attraction was the word to describe Jimin's fondness towards Jungkook.

Those were two words that never collided, that never brought them together.

Taehyung had always known that Jungkook wasn't a person who dated easily, although he fell for people through their looks.

It wasn't a surprise when Jungkook came to him and told him that he found Jimin interesting, and he went back, jumping excitedly infront of Jimin. "You have hope!! Jungkookie said you were interesting!" 

Jimin felt his face turn red. Jungkook found him interesting. Jungkook didn't get disgusted by him. Jungkook was a nice person, someone who made friends well and didn't discriminate Jimin.

Jungkook asked Jimin out for a walk, and Jimin readily agreed. "Jungkook ah, how's class today?" Jimin asks as they walk to a bench. "It was cool, the only problem is that tests are coming up and I'm still not ready." Jimin laughs and gently holds Jungkook's arm. "You'll do fine, you're a smart kid." Jungkook smiles as they sit down.

"Hyung, what's your ideal type?" Jimin starts to laugh nervously and answers a little quickly, "Someone who has cute eyes and a bright smile."

"Oooh, is it a girl? Sounds pretty." Jimin just smiles and directs the question back at Jungkook. "How about you?" Jungkook dazedly looks towards the clouds. "Someone who is short so I can protect him." Jimin flicks his forehead. "It doesn't mean that when someone is short, he has to be protected!" Jungkook laughs and rubs his forehead. "I don't really mind if he can protect me. I just want someone who's shorter so he can hear my heartbeat when we hug, and can lean on my shoulder. I'd really like that." Jimin nods, not knowing who Jungkook is visualising, but he doesn't let it show that he hopes its him.

"I'm going to leave first, I got a text from Yoongi hyung." Jimin lets Jungkook walk first, while he heads towards the lockers to pick up something.

Walking up to class, he heard muffled noises from a neighbouring classroom. Yoongi had Jungkook pinned against the wall, leaning in dangerously close.

Jimin's jaw dropped in surprise. He looked away and resisted his urge to cry. He ran quickly towards the bathroom, feeling his emotions choke up his throat. 

Disgust and shock crept from the pit of his stomach. He regurgitated everything he had eaten and he still felt horrible. He felt disgusted, he felt like he wasn't enough, and kept crying.

Many thoughts came into his mind. Was the person Jungkook referring to, perhaps Yoongi? It scared him, the fact that he had to let go of two friends, two of his very best friends. He didn't know what to expect. Maybe he should never have tried to befriend Jungkook, it wouldn't have hurt that much, then.

The scene kept replaying in his head. Jungkook and Yoongi. The two of them being happy together made him feel sick. He knew he shouldn't feel this way but he did. Yoongi was his closest senior and Jungkook was his favourite junior. He just couldn't see them together, he couldn't be happy thinking of them.

Jungkook went towards the bathroom while Jimin's head was still between his knees, breaking into loud sobs.

"Hyung, what's wrong?" Jimin looked up in horror. He wiped his lips and flushed the toilet, scrambling to his feet. "Nothing. Nothing's wrong. I'm, I'm al....right" Jimin suddenly felt worse. His vision started narrowing and he gasped for air before losing consciousness.

"He's in shock. He might have experienced something that hurt him, causing him to vomit. Probably didn't eat a lot as well, so he has no energy. Jimin will be fine, he just needs some rest and food." Seokjin smiled and patted Jungkook comfortingly, informing him of Jimin's condition.

Taehyung and Hoseok ran into the nurse's office, waiting for Jimin to wake up. Namjoon and Yoongi ended class early and rushed down, watching over Jimin.

Jimin cracked his eyes open slowly. The first person he saw made him want to throw up again. "Hyung, are you okay?" Jungkook asked as he held Jimin's hand towards his face.

"Let go." Jimin pries his hand out of Jungkook's grip. "I'm fine, so you can leave now. Bring Yoongi hyung out with you too." Yoongi looked at Jimin worriedly, "What's wrong with you? What did we do that we can't even be concerned? Can't he just ask?" Namjoon senses the awkward atmosphere and hurriedly asks Jungkook and Yoongi to leave first.

Jimin looks towards the door and feels fresh tears rolling down his cheeks. Hoseok walks towards him carefully, wiping his tears away. "Don't cry, what happened?" 

"Taehyung, why? Why doesn't anything go my way? Why doesn't anyone ever like me back?" He leans into Taehyung's chest, Taehyung rubbing circles onto his back. "Is it Jungkook and Yoongi?" Jimin nods and closes his eyes, trying to forget that image in his head.

"Jungkook cares for you. And he doesn't even like Yoongi, but Yoongi wanted to see if his heart flutters at the sight of him. I know what you saw, I was at the back of the classroom, Jimin ah."

Jimin shakes his head softly. "No, he doesn't. He doesn't even like me back."

Jungkook doesn't want to stand outside any longer and barges into the office. "How can you be so ing dense?"

"Someone shorter than me so I can protect him. So he can hear my heartbeat when we hug, and he can lean on my shoulder. I'd really like that." It was as though Jimin could read Jungkook's mind. "I was thinking of  you, hyung."

Hoseok pulls Jungkook and looks at Jimin. Jimin's head is still down, and his shoulders are shaking. "Just leave, I don't want to see you."

Namjoon mumbles to Hoseok, for him to let Jungkook go. Jungkook walks towards Jimin slowly, stretching his arm out. He lifts Jimin's chin gently, leaning in to kiss him. "What are you doing? What about Yoongi hyung? Why did you kiss me after kissing him?" Jimin's eyes are still glossy with tears, and Jungkook wipes his cheeks lovingly. "Yoongi hyung knows. He knows that I like you. I've liked you ever since we met at the dance studio. You were cool and friendly, and I wanted to befriend you." 

"Then what was going on in the classroom?" Taehyung lets out a long sigh. "It's not what you thought it was. Yoongi hyung was already clear about Jungkook's feelings, he just wanted to make sure that he had no feelings for Yoongi before he confesses to you. You were so impatient that he couldn't even explain himself." Jungkook looked down at Jimin's hands. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to know if I liked Yoongi hyung at all, so i let him lean in. We didn't kiss at all, and I know that I wasn't interested in him."

Jimin looks into Jungkook's eyes. "You're interested in me, but are you attracted to me? I'm honestly tired. I don't like seeing you smile so brightly infront of others and knowing I'm not the reason for your smile. I don't want to burden you with my insecurities, and I wanted to let you go."

Jungkook brings Jimin in for a hug and conveys his true feelings. "I just want to be liked by the students, after all I'm younger than the entire student body, and I don't want to be discriminated. That's all. I don't have any added feelings when i make friends. Other than you."

"Hyung, all i want is for you to never let me go. If you let me go, I won't smile again. I won't smile at all, so you can feel that I only reserve my smiles for you." Jimin pulls back from the hug and leans in to kiss Jungkook on the lips tenderly. "I won't ever let you go. I don't want to hurt you, so don't stop smiling. I love you, Jungkook ah."

Jungkook smiles and whispers, "I love you too, Park Jimin."

Hoseok and Taehyung smile at each other, and Hoseok places his arm around Taehyung's waist. "I'm so glad that they got things worked out. Yoongi ah, you're alright, right?" Taehyung smiles and leans onto Hoseok's shoulder, looking outside in Yoongi's direction.

"Hey, pretty girl with the cute eyes and bright smile! Hey! My name's Yoongi!" Yoongi walks towards a freshman, giving his signature smile.

"Now that the drama's over, can we carry on what we've left off?" Namjoon grips Seokjin's waist tightly, kissing him roughly. "Sure." Seokjin pulls back and smiles.