The Cause

Twitter Account

@Wandy022177 is Wendy's private Twitter account she uses to follow Red Velvet's fans. She said it is interesting to see how the fans were reacting towards their performances and music videos.

 

One day, she woke up early as she usually does and was surfing on Twitter.

 

She saw a particular tweet that has hundreds of retweets.

 

"Wow, that's a lot of retweets..." Wendy said.

 

Wendy clicked on the picture, it was a fan taken picture of them during the end of the year music festival. The four of them, since Yeri was not formally introduced to the public yet, were hugging in a circle.

 

"It was so cold that day. I remember how we were shivering." Wendy laughed as she thought back.

 

She scrolled down to see the people's retweets. She saw a lot of hashtags, and one of them was mentioned frequently.

 

"#Wenrene?" Wendy said in confusion.

 

According to the hashtag, Wendy was pretty sure they were talking about her and Irene, but she wasn't sure of what she will see once she click on the hashtag.

 

"Well, it wouldn't be that bad, right?"

 


*

 

To say Wendy was shocked by the amount of pictures and tweets she saw was an understatement.

 

In the pictures were Irene and her, dating from their predebut and up until now, Ice Cream Cake.

 

Wendy didn't know how they were always exchanging looks all the time. She didn't notice she was always staring at Irene and vice versa.

 

Wendy couldn't keep the thoughts of 'Wenrene' out of her mind.

 


*

 

 

Irene woke up at eleven. It's already spring, but the weather was still chilly.

 

The leader walked into the kitchen and saw Wendy, who was very focused on her current task of learning the new recipe for red velvet cheesecake.

 

Wendy was so concentrated that she did not notice the team prankster was about to strike on her target.

 

"Boo!" Irene jumped on Wendy's back.

 

"My God!" Wendy was truly surprised by the sudden noise and weight on her back.

 

"What are you doing?" Irene asked.

 

"I'm trying to make cheesecake. Can you get off my back please?" Wendy replied.

 

"No. I'm cold and you are warm! Didn't you say you like to share? Share your warmth with me!" Irene refused.

 

"Um...You can't hug me though. I am, um, sick! Yes, I'm not feeling well. I have cooties!" Wendy reasoned.

 

"Why are you rejecting me so weirdly today?"

 

Cooties isn't even a thing, Irene thought.

 

"Am I? I don't know, it seems like I'm not feeling well. I should go and rest in my room! See you later!"

 

With that being said, Wendy rushed back to her shared room with Seulgi.

 

"I have never seen her running so fast. I thought she wasn't felling well? Or was she just avoiding me on purpose?" Irene didn't know what happened.

 


*

 

For the following weeks, Wendy was either with Seulgi or Joy and Irene was always with Yeri.

 

Don't get Irene wrong, she enjoyed spending time with Yeri, but she really wanted to talk to Wendy.

 

Wait, did I do something and Wendy finally noticed my intentions? That couldn't be... Irene thought.

 

"Irene unnie, why are you sighing?" Joy asked Irene.

 

"Yeah! You should be Happy! Happyyyyyy!" Seulgi was in a good mood, obviously.

 

"It's Wendy..." Irene said.

 

"What about her? Is she ignoring you? Were you guys in a fight? Oh, I am sure what you did was very wrong in that case. Wendy is very forgiving usually." Seulgi the Oblivious rambled on and on.

 

"Unnie please, it's obvious that Wendy unnie is ignoring her and Irene unnie here doesn't know why. I doubt it has anything to do with Irene unnie if she doesn't know why."

 

"Oh! OK! I can help! I know what is going on with Wendy!"

 

"Tell me. Now."

 

"You know she is our team's mom, right? My guess is that she wants to take core of Yeri, but you were always with her so..."

 

Seulgi's was speaking rapidly, almost as quick as her "give me that" part in Ice Cream Cake.

 

"Unnie, please stop... You are getting silly now."

 

"I'm not! I'm just really happy today!"

 

Seulgi's bear mode was fully charged and turned on.

 

"What happened?"

 

"Last night Joy and I were--"

 

"TMI unnie! I told you that between us only!"

 

"Sorry... I am still excited."

 

"So, you need to talk to Wendy unnie."

 

"But what should I tell her?"

 

"I think you know." Joy said sternly.

 


*

 

At night, Irene was restless, even more than she usually does. She couldn't stop think about what she should tell Wendy.

 

"Unnie, is something wrong?" Yeri was awoken by Irene's heavy sighs.

 

"Nothing, I'm sorry if I woke you..."

 

If only this could be nothing, Irene thought.

 


*

 

"Children, we are in a serious state. Our group's atmosphere is at risk." Joy said to the bear and maknae.

 

"Tomorrow, when we are on our way to the airport and in the plane, us three will stick together and create a chance for them to talk."

 


*

 

Joy almost wanted to kill Seulgi.

 

"Sooyoung unnie... Are you OK?" 

 

"No. Look at what the stupid bear is doing, didn't I say leave space for Irene unnie and Wendy unnie? Now she is joking around with Wendy unnie."

 

"Oh. Do you want me to grab her?"

 

"Please do."

 

Yeri was very useful, being the glue for Wenrene and damage control.

 

Seulgi? Let's hope she does not sabotage our plans anymore.

 

--

 

Those three must be planning something, Wendy thought. They must be pretending to sleep since they are not making any noise.

 

Irene unnie seems nervous, is it because of her fear of height?

 

"Unnie, are you alright? You don't seem very well."

 

"Me? No, I'm well."

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"No. Actually, we need to talk."

 

"Now? But--"

 

"Why are you avoiding me?" Irene was never one to waste time.

 

"Please promise don't be freaked out by me."

 

"I promise."

 

Wendy took out her iPad, the one that Joy used during Ice Cream TV.

 

Wendy showed Irene some tweets with #Wenrene.

 

"I saw these and I realized that..."

 

Irene's held her breath.

 

"I think I have romantic feeling toward you." Wendy's speech struck Irene like a lightening.

 

"Ha!"

 

"I called it." Joy said as Seulgi yelled.

 

"Were they sleep-talking?" Wendy was bewildered and startled by them.

 

"I don't know. Don't mind them, get back to our business. You said have feelings for me, that's why you were avoiding me?"

 

"Um, yes?"

 

"You idiot! If you would just talk to me! We wouldn't have wasted so much time!"

 

"Why? I think I would be accounted as smart?" Wendy was puzzled.

 

"You are so oblivious, even more than Seulgi does. Don't you know that I like you too?"

 

"Oh. Oh!"

 

"Yes, you silly girl..." Irene was a little exasperated.

 

"So...What now?"

 

"First, we're official, so stop flirting with Seulgi and Joy. Now, just sleep. Oh, not before you give me a warm hug."

 


*

 

After their family concert, the five members arrived at their dorm.

 

Seulgi, Joy, and Yeri were sitting in the living room devouring the poor fried chicken.

 

"I'm glad that they got together. Our team is saved by us. We are the Goddesses of Red Velvet, I would say." Joy said.

 

"So do I. But when can we stop babysitting Yeri for them? Shouldn't they take care of their own child? I want to spend time with you..." 

 

Joy and Seulgi exchanged a look, Yeri was sure that it was better to ignore it.

 

"Don't worry, they will repay us for this. We will get the rewards we deserve."

 

"I can take care of myself. You guys don't have to look after me." Yeri said and was ready to leave the dorm, to escape from  her 'parents' and the 'evil bear' couple.

 

"No, come back. We need you tell us some of Irene unnie's secrets so we can blackmail her." Joy said.

 

"But what do we gain from that?"

 

"Food, of course. "

 

"I'm in." Yeri's eyes were sparkling with the mention of food.

 

In just a short period of time, Yeri already submitted to the Evil couple's lure.

If there is food, let me fall. 

-Yeri, the Naive Maknae

 

If there is Joy, I am JOYOUS!

-Seulgi, the Bear

 

If there are recipes and ingredients, I will let Yeri and Seulgi unnie serve me while Irene unnie and Wendy unnie make them.

-Joy, the Mastermind

 


*

 

Meanwhile, in the kitchen were Irene and Wendy.

 

Wendy shuddered as she felt the wicked atmosphere of the living room.

 

"Something wrong?" Irene asked.

 

"An inevitable disaster is about to happen in our dorm."

 

"Don't worry, we will face it together."