Hide and Seek

Oh! My Gosh

Sehun and Ziyu fit themselves under the wooden bench in their living room. Ziyu giggles and Sehun gestures him to keep quiet as they hear Luhan twist the knob of the door. Luhan sighs tiredly as he takes off his shoes and puts the pair on the shoe rack. He just had 2 promotional shoots for his movie and a CF shoot awhile ago and all he wants to do for today is have a delicious dinner with his family and rest.

He yawns as he pads down the hallway and stops. It’s too quiet. From the corner of his eye, he could see his husband and son hiding quietly under the couch bench. He laughs to himself. He pretends not to see them.

“Where―”

“Surprise!” Sehun and Ziyu yell with a huge smile. Luhan laughs and acts surprised as his son giggle uncontrollably. He reaches out his hands to help Ziyu stand up. Ziyu struggles but still continue to giggle. Luhan plants kisses all over his face, greeting him hello. He then carries him, ignoring his husband’s pleas as he struggles to stand up.

“Lu?” Sehun croaks, his limbs tangling awkwardly with the stands. “Little help here?”

Luhan chuckles and turns to Ziyu. “Ziyu, should we help Appa?”

Ziyu nods furiously. Luhan complies and puts Ziyu down gently. He holds both of Sehun’s hand and pulls him out roughly. Sehun smiles as he stretches his limbs. He stands up and gives Luhan a peck on the lips.

“I cooked some beef bulgogi for dinner,” Sehun announces.

Luhan raises his eyebrows. “What’s the occasion?”

Sehun, mockingly offended, “Can’t I cook dinner for my family?”

Luhan: Sehun? Cooking? That’s really unusual.

Sehun: [hides his face due to guilt] I’m―I’m in big trouble.

Sehun’s smile didn’t leave his face as Luhan continues to read his face. Ziyu makes a run and hides behind Sehun’s leg.

Luhan: Ah, I know where this is going. He shakes his head and sighs. Those two probably did something bad―Sehun would apologize and Ziyu would nod along, and if I don’t forgive them, both of them will pout and I’ll eventually give in. That’s how it always is.

Sehun: Luhan, I’m really sorry. [R.I.P Oh Sehun]

Sehun: I’m really sorry. I love you~

“What happened?” Luhan demands, placing his hands on his hips.

“I’m sorry~” Sehun starts. “I’m sorry~~”

Luhan: [knowingly] Of course.

Luhan: [sighs dejectedly]

“Ziyu and I were playing catch the ball in the bedroom and suddenly―”

“Oh no,” Luhan cuts off, already getting the gist. “No, no, no. no,”

Sehun covers his face and kneels―Ziyu does the same.

“Baba, we’re sorry!”

 Luhan looks back and forth at Sehun and Ziyu, both looking at him with puppy eyes.

 “That vase was really expensive!” Luhan rants, walking over to their bedroom only to see the vase absent from its original place. He sees the remnants of the vase inside the trashcan and (almost) cries. Luhan plops down on the bed and pouts.

“Sehun-ah~!” Luhan whines, his eyes stinging. “Asdfhsklhsdgh,”

Luhan: [can’t even form a sentence properly due to anger and frustration]

Sehun: I am a dead man. [accepted his fate]

Luhan: [stress level: 100] [mixes Korean and Mandarin] I―I got that vase from China back when I was shooting my third movie. That vase was a rare one. Plus, I was with my mom when I bought that.

Sehun gestures Ziyu to hug Luhan to steam down Luhan’s anger. Ziyu obeys and attaches himself to his Baba’s lap and hugs him.

“Baba, Appa and Ziyu are sorry!” Ziyu says, kissing Luhan on his cheeks. “We’re sorry, Baba! We love you and the vase! Please don’t be mad.”

Luhan after a few minutes of having a staring contest with his son, gives in, obviously not being able to stand the aegyeo his son is doing. He can’t find it himself to be mad at Ziyu. He sighs and nods. “It’s okay, Ziyu,”

Sehun cheers and opens his mouth to say something, but before he can, Luhan cuts him off. “But I’m still mad at you, mister.”

“Aww, I’m sorry, it won’t happen again.” Sehun promises.

Luhan: Shaking his head, of course it won’t happen again. We don’t have a vase anymore!

“What am I going to do with you two…,”

“You love us~” Sehun teases. Ziyu nods enthusiastically.

Luhan glares at Sehun. He then falls down on the bed and buries his head on a pillow.

“Sehun, that was really expensive!” His voice muffles. Ziyu crawls over his Baba and hugs him. Luhan pouts, wrapping his arms around Ziyu’s waist.

“Then we’ll buy a new vase,” Sehun suggests.

“Noooo,” Luhan sits up and pauses.

“What?”

Luhan pauses, an idea sparking inside his head.

“I’ll forgive you if you get the exact replica of that vase,” Luhan offers.

“But you got the vase from Beijing!” Sehun whines.

“Maybe you should’ve thought of that before you guys played catch the ball inside here,” Luhan argues.

Sehun lies down on the bed and hugs Luhan’s waist. He buries his face on Luhan’s clothes and shakes his head.

“Sehun-ah?” Luhan asks. He slaps Sehun’s shoulder. “Yah!”

Sehun looks up to his husband with puppy eyes.

“No, no,” Luhan dismisses. “That won’t work on me.”

“Ziyu will help Appa look!” Ziyu exclaims. Luhan laughs and pinches Ziyu’s cheek.

“Look! Even Ziyu wants to help you.” Luhan says. “Come on, you don’t have anything on your schedule next week.”

It was Luhan’s turn to pout. Sehun frowns but places a quick peck on the Chinese man’s lips.

“Fine,” Sehun says, giving in.

Luhan: There was a correct answer to my request. Sehun should be glad that he got it.

Luhan: Actually, it’s fine with me. I’m supposed to do grocery shopping next week, but I’ll just let Sehun do it while he looks for the vase.

Luhan: [scary deer]

ii.

The next week...

“Get everything from that list, okay? Also, don’t buy Ziyu too much candy. Carry him when he’s tired from walking, okay?” Luhan reminds them. He kisses Ziyu’s forehead and Sehun’s cheeks.

“Byebye~ take care!” Luhan waves at them.

“Byebye, Baba!”

“Bye, take care, too,”

Sehun places Ziyu at the backseat of the car and secures his seatbelt. He does the same to himself at the driver’s seat.

“Ziyu, are you okay there?”

“Mhmm,” Ziyu responds.

The route to the shopping district isn’t long, but it’s the traffic that prolongs the time of the car ride. Sehun mentally slaps himself for forgetting to bring some of Ziyu’s toys along. Ziyu, without anything else to do, starts to rap.

“Neoreul wonhae xo naegen ojik neo,” Ziyu raps with matching hand gestures. “Naegen ojik neo nae naegen ojik neo~”

Sehun laughs and looks back at his son, rapping his line from the XOXO song. He encourages Ziyu to go on with a smile. His could feel his heart swell with pride.

“Neoreul wihan xo nareul badajwo, nareul badajwo na nareul badajwo~” Ziyu ends happily, clapping. [EXO rapper Sehun approves]

“Ziyu, do you want to be a rapper like Appa?” Sehun asks, grinning.

Ziyu nods enthusiastically. “Appa is so cool! Ziyu wants to be like Appa!”

Sehun: Luhan’s gonna have a mental breakdown.

Sehun: Well, Luhan and I always thought that Ziyu would be a vocal.

Sehun: Ha!

“Hey, doctor~!” Ziyu starts. “Uh―”

Sehun fondly chuckles. He waits for Ziyu to continue. Instead of continuing the Overdose rap, he moves on with Growl. “Jakku nareul jageuk hajima~ nananana molla~”

Sehun, ever so amused with his son, ruffles his hair. The car behind them honked, as the green light appears. Sehun drives swiftly but carefully. The car ride basically consists of Ziyu humming Sehun and Luhan’s songs, occasionally mixing the tunes together, pausing only to tell Sehun the food he wants to buy later, and Sehun nodding to everything.

They reach the shopping district, and Sehun parks the car to the appropriate lot. He carefully carries his son out of the car. He holds Ziyu’s hand as they trudge down the streets.


MEANWHILE…

[Baba Luhan treating himself a massage in a massage parlor]


“Appa! Appa!” Ziyu tugs the end of Sehun’s shirt. He pulls him towards a toy store. Ziyu points at the Iron Man stuffed toy that hangs by the racks. “Buy me that, Appa!”

Sehun asks the price for the stuffed toy and immediately pays for it. Ziyu happily squeals and squeezes the stuffed toy tightly.

They walk down the streets again. First, they head to the supermarket to buy the groceries. Sehun places Ziyu on the cart seat, his son cooperating miraculously. Sehun’s glad that he bought Ziyu the stuffed toy.

On rare days, when he, Luhan and Ziyu go out together to buy groceries, Ziyu would play around pointing out all the sweets he sees and begs for his Baba and Appa to buy all of them for him. So far for today, Ziyu had only asked him to buy chocolate bars twice. That’s a record.

Sehun feels his pocket vibrate as he receives a call on his phone. Luhan’s face flash up in the screen.

“Hello?”

“Sehun-ah~” Luhan greets, his voice croaky. “How are you and Ziyu?”

“We’re doing fine. We’re halfway done with grocery shopping.” Sehun informs, throwing some instant ramen in the cart.

“Go home early, okay?”

“Yes,”

“Is that Baba?” Ziyu asks. Sehun nods.

“Baba! Baba!” Ziyu shouts. Sehun places his handphone over Ziyu’s ear.

“Baba! Ziyu wants more candy!” Ziyu says.

Luhan chuckles on the other line. “Okay, but you can only have one small pack!”

Luhan could practically hear Ziyu's pout. “But Baba!”

“Only one small pack, Ziyu!”

Ziyu sighs resignedly. “Okay, Baba…”

Still pouting, Ziyu then gives the phone back to Sehun.

“Sehun-ah, don't forget to buy the make-up remover, okay? Buy eyedrops too if you can. I forgot to list it down.”

“Yes, yes,” Sehun says. “Oh and babe? Where are you?”

“I'm at a massage parlor,” Luhan informs. He gasped as the massager hit the right spot by his foot. “Okay, byebye. Be safe. I love you!”

“Yes, I love you, too.” Sehun then places the phone on Ziyu's ear.

“I love you, Baba,” Ziyu mutters, clearly upset of his sweets ban.

Luhan laughs. “Okay, buddy, I love you more~”

And with that, Luhan hangs up.

Sehun pockets his phone and looks at Ziyu amusingly. “What's wrong, bud?” Sehun asks.

“Baba won't let me have anymore sweets,” Ziyu mumbles, squeezing the plushie's arms.

“Baby, eating too much sweets is not good for your health,” Sehun says.

Ziyu pouts. [pouts so much that he can be a part time duck]

Sehun kisses Ziyu's cheek. “Fine, I'll buy you one more chocolate bar, but you have to hide it from Baba, okay?”

Ziyu claps happily. “Thank you, Appa! Appa is the best!”

Sehun: Yeah, I'm the best.

Sehun: For now. 

The father and son continue to go to aisle to aisle for the next few minutes, Ziyu helping his Appa find the remaining things they need (as an exchange for Appa secretly buying him another chocolate bar.)

Once they've ticked everything off from the grocery list and paid, they walk out of the supermarket with Ziyu gripping Sehun's hand, while the latter carries the groceries with only one arm. [strong Appa due to years of experience]

[Mission 2 for today: look for the exact replica of the vase they broke] Before hunting for the vase, Sehun places the groceries at the back of the car so that it won't get in the way while they look around. Sehun carries Ziyu as they walk the streets.

“Appa! Appa!” Ziyu calls, his fingers pointing to different stores.

Staff: Who spoils Ziyu more? You or Sehun?

Luhan: I think it’s Sehun. He laughs. Ziyu has Sehun wrapped around his little finger.

Sehun obliges without hesitation and buys the toys Ziyu wants as long as it’s within the range of his budget. Ziyu, overwhelmed, showers Sehun’s face with kisses.

Sehun: I like spoiling Ziyu, well―for his happiness, you know?

Sehun: When I see my son smiling like that―no money can buy that kind of smile.

Ziyu grips the newly bought action figure in his hand, while his other swings his Appa’s hand as they look for a ceramics store.

“Ziyu, would you like to wear the snapback we bought awhile ago?” Sehun asks.

Ziyu nods. They stop walking while Sehun looks for the hat inside the plastic bag full of Ziyu’s newly bought plushies and action figures. Sehun finds the snapback designed for kids they bought earlier and places it on Ziyu’s head.

“Omo! Ziyu looks so cool!” Sehun exclaims. Ziyu, feeling ‘the vibe’ puts on a cool, poker face. [Superstar Ziyu]

Sehun takes off his shades that hung on his collar. He then puts it on Ziyu, which he catered obligingly. Sehun laughs as the shades slide off from Ziyu’s small face. Ziyu’s face contorts into frustration.

“Oh!”

Sehun ruffles Ziyu’s hair, and says, “Sorry, bud. Now come on, let’s go.”

They walk around some more, and when they finally found a huge ceramics store, Ziyu and Sehun cheer in victory.

“Appa! We found vases!” Ziyu says.

Sehun and Ziyu enter the store and greet the storekeeper. They look around for the exact design of the vase they broke. Minutes later, they’re still walking around the store, deliberately checking each aisle. Both father and son are starting to give up.

“Appa~ I’m tired.” Ziyu cries. He then extends his arms and Sehun starts carrying him again. Sehun then fishes his handphone from his pocket and phones Luhan.

After three rings, Luhan picks up. “Hello?”

“Does it really have to be the same design?” Sehun almost whines. Ziyu nods along to his Appa’s words.

Luhan laughs. “Yes, babe,”

Sehun makes an incoherent noise. “Really?”

“Mhmm,”

“Really?”

“Yes, Sehun,”

“Luhan, I really love you,” Sehun says in effort to use his charm to get out of the situation.

“Aw, Sehun, I love you, too!” Luhan replies, obviously knowing Sehun’s intention. “Now, find that vase, okay? Don’t tire Ziyu out too much. Stay safe both of you, love you!”

Luhan hungs up and Sehun’s left staring at his phone’s wallpaper. Sehun sighs.

“Appaaaa,” Ziyu whines, burying his head on Sehun’s shoulder.

“It’s okay, Ziyu,” Sehun comforts his son, patting his head.

They get to the very corner of the store. On the aisles were blank vases of different structures. An idea popped inside Sehun’s head.

“Excuse me? What are these vases for?” Sehun asks the employee near them.

“Oh they’re for customizing,” the employee answers. “You could paint your own design on these vases.”

Sehun’s eyes then shifted to the area where small tables and chairs are placed. Some people are personally painting their own design to the vases they chose.

“Ziyu, do you want to paint?” Sehun asks his son.

Ziyu nods happily. Sehun then asks the employee if they could have a vase.

Sehun: We’re no Picasso, of course. We’re not going to copy the exact design of the vase.

Sehun: Instead, we’ll do something that really comes from our heart.

Sehun and Ziyu sit on the small chairs. Sehun hands Ziyu the paintbrushes and the paint. Ziyu takes them and starts painting.

“Ziyu, what do you plan to put there?” Sehun asks as he helps his son with his masterpiece.

“I’m gonna paint you, Baba and me holding hands,” Ziyu says. “We’re walking in the park!”

Sehun smiles widely. “That’s really nice, Ziyu,”

“Appa, you should help me paint, too!” Ziyu demands.

Sehun nods and gets himself a paintbrush. He busies himself with writing various things like ‘Happy Family’ ‘The Oh’s’ ‘Let’s Love!’

Ziyu and Sehun paint hearts all over as a finishing touch. They let the vase dry for a few minutes and then they’re ready to go.

“Appa, I’m pretty sure Baba will like this vase,” Ziyu says.

Sehun nods, smiling. “Of course he will.”

They pay for the vase by the cashier and leave the store. The sun’s already down, the pretty lightings beautifully illuminating the area. Sehun takes out his phone and tells Ziyu to pose. Sehun takes a shot, fitting his son and the lights in the frame. Ziyu runs to Sehun and looks if he looked good in the picture. Ziyu, satisfied, grips Sehun’s hand once again. Sehun feels his phone vibrate again. He receives a text from Luhan saying to not eat in a restaurant because he cooked dinner already.

Sehun and Ziyu then go back to the car. Sehun secures Ziyu with a seatbelt and does the same with the vase.

“Did you have fun today, Ziyu?” Sehun asks, his eyes focused on the road. He didn’t get an answer from Ziyu. He looks at the mirror to find his son sleeping soundly.

Sehun: When Luhan and I were still on our dating stage, on our day offs, we would try our best to hide our faces when we walk around, finding different things to buy and eat.

Sehun: We would buy couple bracelets, couple necklaces, couple t-shirts…I really miss those times. These days, we don’t have much time in our hands to do those stuff againespecially since we had Ziyu.

Sehun: Usually, me, Luhan and Ziyu’s bonding time―we would go to ocean parks, beaches, different countries sometimes. We would go to restaurants and malls…It’s rare for us to actually go out and walk around just like what Ziyu and I did awhile ago.

Sehun: So, getting to walk around, visiting different stores with Ziyu is truly an amazing experience. I would like to do it again. I hope that the three of us can.

Sehun presses the doorbell, struggling a bit with all the plastic bags he’s carrying along with the vase that’s placed inside a box. Luhan opens the door and greets them, “Welcome home!”

Luhan’s face then turns into a surprised one. “You guys bought a lot of stuff!” He gets some of the plastic bags Sehun was carrying and goes back inside the apartment. Ziyu takes his plastic bag and runs inside.

“Hey, bud!” Luhan greets. He kneels down and offers his cheek to Ziyu. “Kiss?”

Ziyu kisses Luhan’s cheek and jumps excitedly. “Baba, baba! You’re going to like the vase!”

Luhan raises his eyebrows, amused. “Really? Then let me see,”

Ziyu runs to Sehun. He tugs the end of Sehun’s shirt. “Appa, appa! The vase!”

“Alright, alright,” Sehun says as he lowers the plastic bags on the floor.

Luhan stands up from his kneeling position and gives Sehun a peck on the lips. “Enjoyed your day?”

“Mhmm,” Sehun nods.

“Show me the vase!” Luhan says, anticipating as Sehun takes the vase off the box.

Luhan: I felt like crying―I still feel like crying.

Luhan squeals in delight as Sehun hands him the vase with the family picture his husband and son painted. He reads the words written on the vase, and he feels like tearing up from overwhelming joy.

Luhan: What they got me really surprised me. It’s worth more than that expensive vase than they broke.

Luhan: I really felt overwhelmed. I’m so, so happy.

“You like it?” Sehun asks, smiling as snaking his arms around Luhan’s waist.

Luhan nods, his expression shining. “Yes, yes I do. A million, bajillion times.”

Ziyu claps his hands. Luhan hands the vase back to Sehun as he kneels down and showers Ziyu face with kisses. “You painted that, Ziyu?”

Ziyu nods. “I did, Baba! Did you like it?”

“Mhmm. My son is so talented!” Luhan praises. Ziyu wraps his arms around Luhan’s neck and carries him. Sehun places the new vase inside their bedroom, and goes back to the living room.

“Sehun-ah, Ziyu-ah, thank you very much. I love both of you very much.” Luhan says.

“We love you too, Baba! So, so much!”

Sehun replies with him kissing Luhan. “Sorry for breaking the old vase,”

“It’s fine, I forgive you,” Luhan smiles. “Now, do you guys want to eat dinner? I prepared kimchi spaghetti!”


Next episode preview:

i.

Luhan: Seeing my friends [SM Artists] walking around, getting ready to perform on stage. It gives me nostalgic feelings, since I used to do that along with them when I was still in EXO.

Luhan: Today, Ziyu and I decided that we should surprise visit Sehun. He’s been coming home late for the past few weeks due to his rehearsals. He’s working really hard. Ziyu and I are very proud of him.

***

When Sehun starts to do the hip move, Luhan covers Ziyu's eyes.

ii.

Move over Yifan, Ziyu is the new Picasso.

 

a/n: i hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter!! (this chapter's unedited so sorry for the mistakes/errors)