007

Just Another Night
Please log in to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 7

 

Dara knew she was doomed one morning. She woke up and her mind was instantly filled with thoughts of him. 

 

Last night, he had invaded her thoughts before she dozed off. And the night before that, when she couldn't sleep. It was him on her mind. Again and again.

 

She attributed that to the fact that she was with him. For six days. And all she did was, if not laugh, smile. Though there were a few arguments, it all ended with a surprisingly sweet gesture from him.

 

He had probably took practicing to heart. She would reason automatically whenever he had acted sweet and caring. Sometimes she had wondered if his gestures were no longer for show. 

 

It seemed genuine that her heart started to get confused.

 

She remembered the conversation they had the night they drank beer...

 

"I am a firm believer that a relationship is best built on friendship."

 

"That's why you fell for him," he commented, while crushing an empty beer can with his bare hand.

 

"I think so."

 

"This Sehun guy, are you friends with him?"

 

"Ya! What are you saying? I just met him!" She frowned while looking at him. His expression was unreadable. Why he brought up some guy she only met once was funny. And besides that was days ago!

 

"And why are you shouting?" He asked with a laugh, finding her appalled expression cute and funny.

 

"Your fault. You're making it seem like I could easily fall in love. Newsflash. I don't"

 

"Please elaborate."

 

"As I have said, I am a firm believer that a romantic relationship is best built on friendship."

 

There was a brief silence before he asked. "Is that why you fell for Kris?" 

 

"Yes."

 

"What is it you liked about him?"

 

"I don't even know exactly. I just liked him."

 

At least she didn't correct his use of past tense, he thought. Plus she said "liked" but that didn't prove whether she was over him.

 

Another memory which constantly bugged her was when he almost pleaded for her to stay...

 

"Don't leave." 

 

They were at the airport, waiting for the departure call.

 

"Why?"

 

"Just stay with me."

 

"Why?"

 

"Seven days remember? We had a deal."

 

As much as she wanted to stay, as much as she was curious about what he had planned for their last day, she had to confirm her feelings. If Tao was only a distraction or more than that.

 

"Mianhe. This is something I need to do." I have to know what I feel for Kris.

 

She already knew the answer. But for the sake of her feelings for Tao, she had to know if he had already replaced Kris in her heart.

 

For two weeks, Dara had been a supportive friend to Kris. Even going as far as trying to talk with Jia to convince her to give Kris another chance. She didn't know why they broke up.

 

Dara may have been too busy fixing their relationship but from time to time, most especially at night, she couldn't help but wonder about Tao. How he had been?

 

She had not heard from him. As if he intended to cut their communication. She didn't have the courage to contact him after she left Jeju.

 

Most nights she had stared at her computer screen, at his photos. That was all she could do.

 

Finally, an opportunity she wouldn't miss came. Kris told her there will be a get together at their usual hang-out.

 

The thought of finally seeing Tao again after almost four weeks was both a relief and nerve-racking prospect. 

 

 

As the drama unfolded, Bom seemed to be the only one who understood what was actually going on. Their actions speak volumes. She could sense the air of tension hovering over the table where Dara, Tao and Kris all sat together, with a few friends and one she only saw for the first time. 

 

Tao's date was beautiful. That was probably the main reason why Dara, as much as she tried to hide it, looked interestingly irritated. Jealous possibly.

 

Aigo. Why couldn't they just hook up? Be honest with each other, is that so hard to do these days?

 

She was referring to Dara and Tao. They've been to the bar more times for Bom to be able to make a conclusion about their relationship, and where it's heading— if either of them was brave enough to admit it.

 

Maybe it's time to give the apparent possibility a little push. And maybe shove if the former wouldn't work.

 

 

Dara splashed water on her face. Compared to the woman Tao is with, she was nothing. She didn't even wear make-up or made an effort to look more presentable. She looked at herself in the mirror, her V-necked shirt and jeans made her pitiful to look at. But why would she even dare compare herself with a stunning and sophisticated model.

 

In the middle of Dara's silent mantra on staying unaffected by the closeness between Tao and the woman he's with, the cubicle opened to reveal the very familiar bartender. She wore an expression that told Dara she was contemplating whether or not to talk to her.

 

The beautiful bartender stood beside her and washed her hands in a somewhat slow manner. Their eyes met in the mirror.

 

"Look at him," Bom advised knowingly. "Just stare him down and you will know what I mean." After that, she breezed out of the restroom.

 

Dara was left wondering what kind of weird, not to mention, vague advise that was.

 

And why was the bartender suddenly talking to her as though she had known what Dara had been going through tonight?

 

Was she that transparent?

 

She hoped not. 

 

Oh no! What if Tao noticed that she didn't want to look at him?

 

As the notion hit her, she quickly contradicted it. 

 

He was probably too busy flirting with his date to even notice anything peculiar at all about Dara.

 

Once again, her mood turned more sour.

 

This night, she wished, would end soon. She couldn't bear the sight of them. Must they really sit across her. She was going to get a stiff neck at her attempt to pretend they weren't there.

 

And she wondered why she found it easier to watch Kris and Jia

Please log in to read the full chapter