006

Just Another Night
Please log in to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 6

 

Day one at Jeju was both bitter and sweet. It was definitely a honeymoon capital. Why did she forget about that one important little detail?

 

The first thing they did when they arrived, they dropped off their things at the Huang's vacation house. Which by the way was located near the beach. What more could she ask for? It was paradise from were she stood by the large bay windows of the living room. Breathtaking view and peaceful ambiance. She couldn't wait to visit the beach and run barefoot to the shore. But first things first. Tao had other plans in mind. He wanted to tour her around the nearby street market.

 

They walked the streets and her mind went back to the subject of Jeju being the honeymoon capital. There were couples anywhere she looked! 

 

Well. Almost. Since she and Tao were simply friends. They walked side by side, a good distance from each other as though walking close was a crime. Some couples were into public displays of affection.

 

The distance between them soon dissolved. Tao wasn't insensitive to her discomfort. He took her by the hand all of sudden, his grip unrelenting but warm. 

 

"Ya! What are you doing?" She asked wide-eyed while being dragged to join the couples who were in line to buy ice cream.

 

"Practicing," he said as though that would sum up why he was holding her hand quite tightly.

 

Fine, maybe they needed to start practicing.

 

Even so, why was her heart hoping it's not for that reason?

 

 

The next day, Dara's wish to spend an early morning at the beach to watch the sunrise came true. Her camera hung on her neck. She had already taken quite a lot of pictures. Some of it were of the unsuspecting Tao.

 

"Omo!" She gasped when out of the blue, Tao swiftly took her camera and hung it over his neck as if to tell her she couldn't get it back easily.

 

He started to act like a photographer, taking photos of the uncooperative subject— Dara.

 

"Give that back to me," she demanded as he continuously clicked away. She knew her photos were mostly open-mouthed due to her protests which he purposely ignored.

 

But he was tall and she was petite, barely reaching his shoulders. Seeing that she don't stand a chance with him, she let him have his fun. She smiled at his antics, quite enjoying becoming the subject for a change. It must have been his way of getting back at her. Maybe he was aware that she had been taking pictures of him.

 

After fifteen minutes of acting like a photographer, Tao finally gave her back the camera. They sat on the lounge chairs, a little tired but happy.

 

Until Dara glanced at the group of friends at a distance with envy. "I wish Kris and the others were here," she said.

 

Tao was annoyed but he didn't show it. He left her and strode towards the girl who had been eyeing him since they arrived at the beachfront. It's obvious how she smiled at Tao flirtatiously and seductively.

 

Dara frowned at his actions, not understanding why he walked away without a word. He gave his undivided attention to the girl who couldn't hide her glee. 

 

A tinge of jealousy started to bloom within Dara. She looked away, willing it to disappear. She was startled when the guy, whom she thought was the boyfriend of the girl who's now shamelessly flirting with Tao, suddenly sat beside her on the lounge chair with a friendly smile plastered on his handsome face. But she had no interest in him at all.

 

"Hi. Mind if I join you?"

 

She didn't want to be rude. "No, go ahead." Such forced her to let him sit beside her at a good distance.

 

"I'm Sehun," he introduces himself, offering his hand for a shake.

 

"Dara," she replied with a small smile. She didn't want to give an impression that she has bad manners. She shook his hand briefly.

 

He started talking about them being neighbors, about the places they plan to visit in the next days wherein he invited her and Tao to join.

 

At this, she politely declined while her eyes narrowed at the ongoing flirting a few feet away. The girl had slapped Tao's arm purposely.

 

It was grating on her nerves that her eyes turn into slits.

 

This did not escape Sehun's keen observation, taking note of Dara's reaction.

 

 

"I'm going out for an early jog tomorrow. Do you want to join me?" Tao asked while they were having dinner. 

 

She was having spicy ramen, something which she prepared for the lack of appetite. Besides, she didn't feel like going out despite his suggestion. The day's activity had drained her energy.

 

"No." How that one word contained her frustration, she couldn't explain. All she knew was, he flirted with their neighbor earlier. They were supposed to act like a couple, had he forgotten?

 

She needed to calm down. What's the use of fuming over it? She's not the one who needed to prove something, right? 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

How insensitive! 

 

Dara tried to cover her ears with the pillow but the girl's voice was too loud to ignore. She kept calling for Tao, with that shrill voice of hers. 

 

Where in the world is that panda? 

 

She begrudgingly got out of bed, hair disheveled, and went to Tao's room in big strides her short legs allowed her. She turned the door knob. It was locked. She pounded on his door, making sure that it sounded urgent. 

 

She was prepared to see his frown. 

 

But she was the one who frowned when the door opened. She felt half embarrassed and half amazed when she saw his well-toned abs. 

 

She tried not to look at it. Really. She tried. But it was useless.

 

"What?" came the raspy voice.

 

"You're supposed to go jogging," she said while darting her gaze at his feet instead.

 

"Oh right," he mumbled, with eyes still half closed, while he took a step out.

 

"Yah! What do you think you're doing!?" She shrieked when she realized what he's about to do. She quickly withdrew her hand which she unknowingly pressed against his bare chest to stop him.

 

"Going out, where else?" he answered with slight annoyance. He was sleeping when the pounding on his door cuts off his dream. And she had the knack to ask.

 

"You might want to cover up," she stonily looked at his face after doing a once-over. He was only wearing blue boxer shorts which did little to hide the uhm...that something down there. Though his abs was admirable, she was really pissed off and she couldn't even figure out why. She didn't like the idea that the girl outside will get to see his abs if she didn't stop him from going out almost .

 

Yesterday was still stuck on her mind---his incessant flirting. If only she could erase that from her memory. It was frustrating to feel such way when she had no right.

 

He still looked sleepy. Maybe she could convince him to cancel his plans and go back to sleep.

 

"For heaven's sake, put on a shirt and jogging pants first before you go out," she said as if the sight of him was scandalous. Though not completely. He was a work of art.

 

That woke him from his half asleep state. He looked down at himself and immediately ran for a blanket to cover his body as though she was not supposed to see him almost .

 

Dara simply turned away, trying her best not to laugh at his reaction. 

 

Where did the arrogance to pose  for her went off to?

 

 

The day they both wished would never come, had come. Eventually.

 

And Dara's palms were sweating heavily. It felt as if she was going to be judged by every move she would make. 

 

Meeting Tao's mother, she thought she could handle it. But she was wrong. While they waited for her arrival at the airport, she made sure hers and Tao's story would match with each other. Because really, what's the use of all their practicing if their story would give away that they were only faking it?

 

And there she was finally, sophisticated yet simple. 

 

"Good afternoon, Ma'am," Dara greeted, not quite sure what gesture is appropriate.

 

"Oh hi Dara. You're even prettier in person than in the photo I caught my son staring at weeks ago." She pulled Dara for a cheek to cheek greeting. She sounded different than she looked. That statement must have been a joke or a bait to simply find out what her reaction would be.

 

Dara didn't know how to respond. The praise was overwhelming but she soon forgot about that when

Please log in to read the full chapter