prom night

Sweet Lullaby

 

prom night; 550 words

in which Naeun is the girl with a shy smile and no date at prom

 

“I have to go find my date. Are you okay alone, Naeun?” Sulli looks over her shoulder with a worried expression.

Beaming, Naeun nods and watches as Sulli disappears in the dancing crowd. Instantly, she regrets coming as she is left, standing awkwardly in her tight black cocktail dress and her smartphone in hand, probably trying to hide the fact that she is a loner.

She didn’t want to come at first (because who in their right mind would come to a prom night without a date?) but Sulli insisted her to come along and promised she won’t leave her by her own. And now, twelve minutes (yes, she checks the time) after they came, Sulli has blown her off but she doesn’t really mind.

A techno song (she assumes) is playing and Naeun looks around. She sees her lab partner, Sungyeol is totally hitting it off with a senior on the dance floor, a couple of lovebirds make out just outside of the school hall which surprises her that nobody stops them because the principal is actually quite conservative and Sulli is flirting with her date, the wide receiver of the school varsity team, Park Chanyeol.

Honestly, she envies her friend. She was there when Chanyeol asked her to be his date. It was quite romantic and she knew Sulli was jumping all over that though she denies it every time Naeun asks. Chanyeol had asked his teammates to give her 7 red roses (her favourite flower and number) before he showed up in a black suit and a bouquet of chocolate in his hand. Practically every girl in the cafeteria was swooning over the handsome fellow, Naeun included.

“You know, a pretty girl like you shouldn’t be left alone.”

Naeun looks up and locks eyes with the most intriguing pair of eyes she ever saw. That boyish smile keeps her words at the tip of her tongue and dries. He is wearing a pair of washed out jeans and a white basic T-shirt with a can of Soda in his hand which makes him a bit out of place but attractive nonetheless.

“I don’t think I’ve seen you before.” She says, her voice is barely audible.

“Maybe you’re not looking at the right place.” He answers, that small smirk forms across his face.

With ‘Here’s To the Night’ is playing in the background, the boy hands his drink and says, “The drinks here taste like my dad’s black coffee.”

“And it’s a bad thing?” She asks, her fingers brushing his as she takes the can.

Shrugging, he points at her dress, “So, where do you get the dress?”

“This is my mom’s.”

“You look lovely.” He says, his sharp gaze falls upon her shy smile.

“Thanks.” She gestures at his Rosche Nike, “You don’t look so bad yourself.”

“Well, suit and bow tie are not my things.”

Naeun laughs, her eyes are forming crescents, “Are you sure you come to the right place?”

“I don’t know about that but I’m sure I’m talking to right girl.” He winks and holds out his hand, “I’m Kim Myungsoo.”

“Son Naeun.” She shakes his hand.

And as the good-looking boy invites her to the dance floor, Naeun had a thought.

Date or no date, tonight isn’t so bad after all.

---