Prologue: Beginning with a Più Mosso

My Dead Note


 

'Ugh...my body...it aches...'

 

The first thought that had popped into my mind when I woke up. My eyes were hard to open at first, but it was a normal thing that happened every time I ended up falling asleep.

 

I didn’t know how long I've laid there; as a matter of fact, I didn't know where exactly I was, or when I got there.

 

'Did I have a sudden blackout while I was walking?'

 

I couldn't seem to recall anything, but the hard ground I was on could’ve been a useful clue. I tried to sit myself up at first, but my head retorted my action by pounding viciously against my skull. I groaned and let myself fall back down to the ground.

 

“What the hell…” I whined softly, letting myself look up at the ceiling. It was strange; I didn’t think I did anything bad the night before, except maybe staying out past my curfew.

 

‘Crap...I hope I’m not far from home…’

 

I lifted myself off the ground and staggered to my feet, my head no longer being much of a bother to me. I began to look around, and happened to spy a staircase leading up to what hopefully was a door.

 

‘Wait...am I in a basement?’

 

Though my legs felt heavy, I began to walk to the staircase and started up the steps. When I reached the top however, the door bursted open, revealing a over towering figure.

 

“Hey! Are you the one who brought me in here?! I would like an explanation please!”

 

He didn’t seem to hear me, nor did his companion; they were too busy grunting as they were carrying something down.

 

"Hello?! Are you two deaf?!"

 

Still no reply, except for the echoing grunts and footsteps. I was confused; it was as if they were ignoring me on purpose. They continued to go down step by step, me in turn stepping backwards until I was back at the bottom. They weren’t even nice enough to at least tell me to move out of the way! Well, that wouldn’t have been nice, but it would’ve been a sort of response.

 

“Hey Kris, did you hear all that creaking that was going on down the stairs?” asked one of the males, or, at least, I thought he was a male.

 

“Meh, it was probably just our steps echoing. Now, we need to take this thing to the center of the room, so lead away!” said ‘Kris’.

 

By then, they were making me angry. How could they not have heard me? And for the feminine one, why couldn’t he just obviously see there was a kid that somehow got stuck down there?

 

“Jerks.” I mumbled to myself, turning around and walking upstairs. When I was finally at the top to see what was beyond the depths of the previous room, I was almost surprised to see more of these men. They were all carrying something, either going upstairs or following the other two downstairs.

 

Then I began to remember something, involving where I was.

 

“Am I in the old house?!” I asked out loud, of course not getting any sort of reply again.

 

It seemed to be one of the only possible outcomes for me. The inside of the house was familiar, as Taemin and I would always look inside the windows to see any ‘strange’ happenings. I finally realized that it was indeed the old house that sat alone at the very edge of that district; it was a beautiful home, and still had some furniture inside, but no one thought it was good enough to move into. The house wasn’t as important, however, as I also happened to spot my family at the front door.

 

“Momma! Baby!”

 

I ran and attempted to give them a hug, but something strange happened; well, I couldn’t tell what exactly happened. Did they move, or did I take a misstep? Either way, I instead fell face-first into the hardwood floor. Baby, being the adorable 3 year-old she was, seemed to giggle at the sight of me falling. I, of course, rolled over to my back and stuck my tongue out at her, making her laugh more.

 

“Sure, laugh at my pain.” I joked.

 

“Ehe, Silly bubby.” she cooed.

 

Momma readjusted my little sister on her shoulder, which forced Baby to turn her attention forward.

 

“Hey, Momma!” I got up to my feet. “Aren’t you gonna ask where I’ve been?” I placed my hand on her shoulder, but she paid no mind to me still; she shivered, like she was cold. “Come on, are you really going to give me the silent treatment now? Is it because I didn't come home last night?”

 

"Momma!"

 

I looked over her shoulder and saw my big brother, Beer, walking alongside Bank who was hiding his arms behind his back.

 

"Did they finish putting everything in his room?" She asked, adjusting her hold on Baby.

 

"Just about..." Bank replied. "They just need to set up his bed, and then they'll be done up there."

 

I stepped next to my mother, and asked, "Who're you guys talking about? Are you helping someone move in?" Of course, I was ignored once more.

 

"Momma, are you sure we can't at least give Baby one of his old toys? I don't think it would be right to do that, and I think BamBam would agree."

 

"Huh? What?"

 

"Well..." Momma pondered.

 

"What if she starts crying in the middle of the night?" Beer questioned. "Without Kunpi to help calm her down, we need something that's from him."

 

"What do you mean!? I'm still capable of looking after her! Don't tell me you guys are trying to ground me from taking care of my own baby sister-"

 

"Alright...but only one."

 

"Momma!"

 

I looked at Bank with anger, who only revealed his arms, along with one of my most prized toys; the stuffed ox that I got when I was a newborn.

 

"Hey! Who told you you can touch my stuff!?"

 

"Here you go, Baby girl, something to keep to remember your big brother." he handed the stuffed animal to my sister, who stretched out her arms and held the ox as tight as her little arms could let her.

 

"Rainy!" She squealed.

 

"Momma!" I whined. "What the hell!?"

 

"Hopefully this will do..."

 

“Momma!!”

 

“I hope he will continue to watch over her when we move…”

 

“Of course Rainy will but- wait, we’re moving!? Where!?”

 

“Ms. Bhukwakul, we got it done upstairs!” Said one of the oversized males, coming down the staircase. “I think it’s safe to say we finished furnishing this house.”

 

“Thank you so much, Mr. Park. You don’t know how grateful I am for you and your crew to do this.” My mother replied with a heartfelt voice.

 

“It’s no problem, ma’am. I gotta ask though; why are you putting your boy’s stuff here instead of taking it with you?”

 

“Momma, what the hell is going on!?” I was getting annoyed by how everyone was ignoring me so bluntly.

 

"I just don't think I, or any of our other family members, would handle seeing everything else...and not him..."

 

"Ahh." The tall boy replied. "That's understandable..."

 

"What is understandable!? What do you even mean to not see 'him'!?" I screamed. "What am I, chopped liver?"

 

Momma only looked at Bank, and asked semi-sweetly, "What time is it, dear?"

 

My brother looked down at his watch, and answered monotonically, "It's time for us to head home and finish packing before our flight tomorrow."

 

"Ahh...alright."

 

"You all have a safe trip, okay?" Mr. Park said with a small smile.

 

"We’ll try," Beer answered, smiling back and shaking the other's hand. "Thank you, once more, for helping us with this."

 

"Twas no trouble at all, sir."

 

My family was beginning to turn around and leave the home, with me angrily following after.

 

“Bam! Bam!” I heard my sister giggle; when I looked up, I saw her reaching out towards me with her free arm. “Bam! Bam!”

 

Her cute voice never failed to get me to crack a smile, and that time was of course no different.

 

“Oh, you cute little devil you!” I reached for her small outstretched hand, to hold it and mess with her little fingers like I usually did.

 

But I couldn’t…

 

A few feet away from the small staircase that led to the front door, was a wall, which somehow stopped my hand from meeting hers.

 

“W-what the..?” I took a step away, and looked up at my sister; though she was going farther and farther away from me, I could see the look of confusion in her small, brown eyes.

 

“H-hey! Wait up!” I walked forward, but was shocked back, quite literally. “Momma! Come back!” My stubbornness wouldn’t fail me, letting me go forward again and again, each time running into the wall of electricity.

 

“Bam!” I heard Baby call out, along with the sound of a door opening.

 

“Just give me a minute, Baby girl, brother BamBam will be there in a moment! What the hell is going on here?!”

 

My last attempts were only futile, with only the separation of me and my little sister growing stronger. By the time that I was all shocked out, Baby was buckled into her little chair and my mother was in the driver’s seat, beginning to start the car.

 

“Momma! You’re forgetting someone here!” I didn’t want to give up, no matter how strange and confusing the unseen barrier was. “Momma! BABY!!”

 

It was too late; they drove themselves away from the house, from me, and didn’t seem to even notice I wasn’t there with them. I didn’t know why they left me like that back then. I didn’t know anything, really.

 

“Hey, Joonmyun?” I heard from behind. “I’m still confused...what exactly happened with that family?”

 

I never would’ve thought that what I would be hearing, was going to change everything for me; especially me.

 

“Remember that Kunpi kid that was on the news, like, a week or two ago?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Well...that was his family. They thought it would only be right to leave all he loved at this house as a goodbye gift to him.”

 

“Here? But...didn’t he, ya know, die here?”

“Mhmm…it’s strange, but we shouldn’t complain; we got some cash out of this.”

 

“I...guess you’re right…”

 

They walked past- no, walked through me, without a care; without a single idea of what their words did to anyone around them, dead or alive.

 

“I...I’m...dead…?” I whispered to no one in particular, or maybe I was talking to the wind that was blowing by. To be honest, I was ready to even believe I was talking to the wind, like the winds were just a bunch of ghosts, going through life as if nothing happened.

 

I, however, was stuck in a house, with no one but myself to talk to; no one but myself to entertain; no one but myself to keep company.

 

† ♪ † ♫ † ♪ End of Prologue † ♪ † ♫ † ♪

 

(Note: ...Yup. Sad BamBam is sad, and confused, and all that other stuff.

 

And about all the ghost stuff, I’m going with the whole idea that ‘they can touch you, but you can’t touch them’ sort of ordeal, along with them being stuck haunting where they died, and probably some other things that I will bring up later on. Since I don’t think there’s a ‘How to write about a fictional ghost’ book out, I would like it if you did not tell me what I am writing is invalid, since there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way of interpreting them.


I don’t have much else to say here, so I’m just gonna go with the whole outro I usually do. Talk to you later, my lovely Pyschopaths~