Autumn Is Here

What Happens In Seongbuk-Dong

CHAPTER 8

AUTUMN IS HERE

 

‘No matter how bad the fight is, as long as you both found your feet underneath the sheet then everything will be alright’

 

 

          Autumn is such a wonderful time of a year. Leaves are turning vibrant colors. Harvests are being gathered. The weather is getting cooler and one by one the petals drop.

 

          Young-ji’s plane landed at Incheon Intl. Airport. Kara has been staying in Japan for eight months and they have given a short vacation to celebrate the ‘Chuseok Holiday’ with their family.

 

          During Chuseok, her family goes south to celebrate at her father’s ancestral hometown. Chuseok who is also commonly known as ‘Mid-Autumn Festival’ is a three day holiday in Korea. And at this kind of day, families gather together and prepare foods to share.

 

          Young-ji heard a familiar voice calling her name. Her mom is at the airport to pick her up. Her mom’s bright smile is overwhelming to see that it ease the tiredness that she felt over the flight she took.

 

          After half an hour of driving they reached the villa they are staying. At the elevator her mom pressed the level 3 button while their house is located at level 4.

 

          “We have to put down your luggage first at your house then we can eat lunch in our house after we’re done.” Young-ji’s mom said.

 

          Now it sinks to her mind. How can she forgot that she and Jackson have move-in together last January? Mama Wang bought the house that her mother referred to and ask them to live there. But since January she just slept there twice since she’s been staying in Japan most of the time.

 

          The house is warm and cozy. The furniture looks expensive and elegant. As a courtesy to her parents in law, they didn’t occupy the master’s bedroom. The other three bedrooms have the same size and has its own bathroom.

 

          “After we’re done eating, you should drop by in the grocery since you don’t have anything in your fridge. You should try to cook too especially when Jackson is here. When is he coming home?” Her mom asked.

 

          “The day after tomorrow.” She answered.

 

          Young-ji almost can’t zip her pants from the food she eat. She missed her mom’s cooking. As the saying goes, ‘there’s no place like home’. She was about to go to her bedroom when her mom stop her.

 

          “Young-ji-ah, you should go to your home now. You rest there and unpack your things. You should also do a little cleaning since the caretaker will come again next week.” Her mom’s voice is so soft that she can’t complain even she wants too.

 

          As soon as she arrived in ‘their’ house, she head to the bedroom and lie down in a bed for a while. Her day dreaming has been halt by unexpected call.

 

          “Unni!” she said as she answers the phone.

 

          “Young-ji-ah, tomorrow is my birthday but I will celebrate it today. Can you come to my party? I’ll text you the address, it will start at 8 in the evening. I’m expecting you.” G.NA said.

 

          Young-ji confirms with G.Na that she will be coming. After the call, she unpack her things and put it in the closet. Half of the closet is filled with Jackson’s clothes. Then she puts her undergarments in the bottom drawer but it was also half filled with Jackon’s boxer shorts and it is not folded properly causing for the boxers to burst out of the drawer when she opened it. He’s just too messy.

 

          She took a nap after she unpack her things. It was almost 7 in the evening when she woke up. She goes straight to the bathroom and take a bath and get the taxi to head outside.

 

          G.Na’s party is being held at a famous club ‘Octagon’. The party has just started when Young-ji arrives. There’s familiar faces everywhere but she doesn’t know them personally. Later, G.Na spotted her, she’s with a guy she hasn’t seen before.

         

          “Happy Birthday Unni!” Young-ji greeted her.

 

          “Thank you! By the way meet my cousin Andrew he’s half Korean and half Canadian. He will be staying here for a few days to celebrate Chuseok with us. You are the same age as him so feel comfortable. I can’t find someone of his age so it’s good to know that you make it.” G.Na told her.

 

          Andrew introduced himself properly in Korean language. He’s fluent like he’s been staying in Korea and not overseas. When more guests have come, G.Na left the two of them. They sit in the bar located in the middle of the club. Andrew is a charmer and a gentleman. There’s no dull moments talking with him that’s why she’s enjoying it a lot. Their laugh filled the bar. She’s not yet tipsy but she’s noisy as she’s enjoying everything that he said.

 

          A man suddenly stands in the middle of the stool bar their sitting. He gave him a peck on the cheek which make her surprised and startled.

 

          “Hi! I’m Jackson, Young-ji’s husband” Jackson stretch his arm to shake hands with Andrew.

 

          “I’m Andrew. Nice meeting you. By the way Young-ji, I have to find my other cousins, I’ll see you again when I see you.” Andrew bid goodbye as he feel embarrassed.

 

          Jackson took the sit that Andrew’s sitting before. He ask the bartender to give him scotch. She on the other hand still hanging on what’s going on right now. How come Jackson is here when he told her that he will be coming home the day after tomorrow?

 

          “Looks like you’re having fun while I’m away. And you’re drinking now. What if you drink too much and can’t forget what happen the next day?” Jackson’s mad face is all over as he sips on the scotch.

 

          “Why are you here? I thought you will be coming home the day after tomorrow.”

 

          “Why? You don’t want me to be here? You didn’t tell me you’re coming to G.Na noonas birthday.”

 

          “I only find out about it earlier, I wasn’t able to call you since I fell asleep and in a rush to go out since I’m getting late,” she tries to explain. “You didn’t tell me you’re coming home today. Are you planning to stay out tonight that’s why you didn’t inform me?” she fires back.

 

          “No! I just found about it earlier. My manager told me to pack my things since we will be heading back. And why are you mad? I should be the one to be mad right now. Why are you talking to a guy I didn’t know. And you laugh like there is no tomorrow.” He said as he tries to empty the glass.

         

          “He’s G.Na unni’s cousin and as the same age as us. I am not doing anything wrong. And don’t try to say that I drink and will forget what I did the next day. I know what you’re talking about. And for your information, since that night it’s only today that I drink again and I am not doing it heavy so that I can passed out. I am just having few drinks. Are you thinking of me as some cheap girl who drinks with guys and sleep with them? I hope you won’t forget that you’re the first and the only one” she said like she’s almost about to cry.

 

          “I know that and I am proud that I am the first and the only one. I didn’t say your cheap I just don’t like the sight that you’re talking with other guy especially when I don’t know him personally” he tries to explain.

 

          He’s about to say something when someone called his name. A familiar girl is walking on their place.

 

          “Hi Young-ji! Hi Jackson! Oh! Are you dating now? Seems like you’re still close even Roommate has ended” Sohyun sits beside Jackson.

 

          “Hi Sohyun! Good to see you here! No, we just see each other here. How are you?” he asked.

 

          The conversation is taking long already. Later it was only Jackson and Sohyun talking and she feels that she’s being left out. They are laughing out loud and Jackson seems to forget that she’s there with them. She look around and saw a group of people sitting in a circular sofa. They are quite far from her sight but the visual of the man sitting looks like Sungjae. She left Jackson and Sohyun and walks toward the direction of the crowd.

 

          She is happy to see that the group of people are Sungjae, Hyuk, N and Lizzy. She sits beside Hyuk since it has the bigger space. The night is getting deeper and their stories are getting interesting. They talked about the time that they did the special girl and boy group special of Hitmaker.

 

          “Young-ji, are you still in contact with Jackson? I thought you two will date eventually, but when Roommate ended there’s no news about the two of you anymore?” Sungjae asked her.

 

          “Oh! I saw him earlier. He’s talking with Sohyun,” she answered.

 

          Moments later, Jackson came. His eyes is almost on fire. Hyuk already saw that kind of look so he stands up and about to tell Jackson to sit beside Young-ji but Sungjae grab Jackson to sit beside him. Jackson’s eyes are focused to Young-ji like he’s eyeing her and telling her to behave. What’s more bothering for Jackson is that she’s wearing skirt showing her skin while sitting.

 

          “How are you bro? You seems so busy nowadays. We can’t reach you anymore?” Sungjae jokes at him.

 

          Before he answers Sungjae, he stands up, removed his jacket and put it to cover Young-ji’s exposed legs.

         

          “I’m in China most of the time.” He simply said.

 

          “You two are dating already?” N asked.         “Seems like you really care about her.”

 

          “No! No! We’re not. We just see each other again today. She looks cold that’s why I gave my jacket to her.”

 

          The night passes and everyone is leaving already. It’s past midnight and Young-ji said she needs to go home. Hyuk volunteered to drop her off but Jackson in saying that Young-ji’s house is on the way to his dorm. Hyuk without a choice gave in.

 

          Jackson called for a substitute driver since he drinks a few. Later they are sitting side by side at the back sit.

 

          “Do you give your number to him?” Jackson asked after the long silence.

 

          “Who? Andrew? No! I didn’t why do you ask? She said.

 

          “It looks like you’re too close already when I came like you have talked your whole lives already” he said.

 

          “Like the way you and Sohyun talk?” she said.

 

          “You know we’re friends. Why are we getting back again at her?” he complains.

 

          “I’m just stating a fact. I know you’re friends that’s why you go out with her when her group went to China.”

          “I went with her, but it’s not just the two of us. We’re in a group and I called you about that. You on the other hand seems like enjoying talking with Hyuk too. I told you before, don’t be too nice with him since I know he has something on you.”

 

          “We’re friends just like you and Sohyun.” She said.

 

          Jackson didn’t say a word anymore. He knows that their hitted conversation will get longer and he can feel that she’s getting mad already.

 

          “Do we have something to eat in the fridge?” he asked as they walk inside the house.

 

          “None, just order a take out.” She answered and went straight to the bathroom.

 

          Young-ji took a hot bath when they came. The warm water will soothe the uneasiness she felt earlier. She’s jealous of Sohyun that’s what she admit to herself. But she can’t say that to him. The uncomfortable feeling keeps on barging in her head. She admits that he missed him. Eight months is too long, though they talked a lot on the phone the feeling of seeing him physically is different like her heart is about to burst.

 

          “Young-ji, the food is here. Come out now.” He said as knocks on the door.

 

          A few minutes later, she comes out wearing a sleeveless tank top and shorts.

 

          “Hey! Why are your clothes like that? Are you trying to seduce me?” he .

 

          “It’s what I wear every day during bedtime and I’m not trying to seduce you. In your dreams.” She answered.

 

          “I haven’t seen you wear clothes like that in the share house.”

 

          “It’s because there’s a lot of men sleeping there and the weather that time is too cold” she said.

 

          “Let’s go eat while it’s warm” he said.

 

          They clean the kitchen together as if they didn’t fight earlier. After the cleaning, they head in the bedroom.

 

          She’s lying on the bed already when he comes out of the bathroom. He turn off the light on the bed side table and lay beside her.

 

          “Young-ji, I’m sorry if I did say anything awful and upsetting earlier.” He grabs her hand and put her head on his shoulder. His arms wrapped snugly around her waist and gently kiss her in her lips. The kiss is short but passionate. After the kiss, she cradled her head on his chest while his arms are wrapped around her and they sleep.