Maknae

Through Their Eyes

Leeteuk-oppa and I looked at each other and sighed. We've been listening to Eunhyuk-oppa and Gyuri-unnie argue for the entire hour. They don't call it arguing, they say it's just witty banter. Leeteuk-oppa, on the other hand, calls it flirting. 

Is that really how people flirt? By insulting each other and contradicting each other's statements? There's also the occasional hit to the arm and the sticking of the tongue out.  I wouldn't know. It's not like I've ever had a boyfriend. I'm too young, or so my unnies tell me. They say I'm too innocent to be thinking of those things already.  But seriously, isn't flirting when someone tries to make the other person realize their affections? When I look at Eunhyuk-oppa and Gyuri-unnie all, I see is hostility. Seungyeon-unnie has told me that Gyul-unnie has a thing for Hyuk-oppa. Is that supposed to mean the she likes him? Because if she does, she's not doing a very good showing it. And neither is Hyuk-oppa, if he has a thing for unnie too. Aigoo. This is frustrating.

"Okay, we're gonna take a short break and earn some money with the following infomercials. Don't go away." Leeteuk-oppa said into his mic before clicking something in his computer. He removed his earphones and looked at the other two occupants of the booth. "Seriously, you two. Can't you wait until the shows over to flirt? Geez." He stood up, grabbed his drink and went out. I was left to continue my observation. Gyuri-unnie looked at Eunhyuk-oppa and they started laughing. After minutes of arguing and insulting, they start laughing.

Really loud.

Gyuri-unnie asked Eunhyuk-oppa for his phone, and he easily handed it over. They started talking about this and that and I drowned out their conversation when I didn't understand anything. But I kept looking. I saw when Gyuri-unnie put her chin on her hand and kept her eyes at Eunhyuk-oppa as he explained something that sounded boring. If I know one thing about unnie, it's that she has a short attention span. I'd usually say that she's probably thinking of other things right now, but when she nodded her head and asked a question, my eyes widened. She was listening. She was really listening. Wow. So she does like him. But then he made a comment about how she probably won't undestand because she's too dumd, and she hit him on the arm, hard, and I'm not so sure anymore. Again.

This is nothing like I've seen in the soap operas. Usually, the leads hate each other first but when they start liking each other, they do nothing but let the other know. I don't get it. These two keep going back and forth, and up and down and it's really making me dizzy. Can't they make up their minds? If they don't like each other, fine. I'll tolerate the arguing. But they're having fun with a stupid app together on that stupid phone and it just cancels out all the hate. Okay, they like each, they're having fun. So, what's up with the fighting and insulting? Urgh.

Leeteuk-oppa came back and we went back on air. They didn't argue again for the remainder of the show. When it was time to go and we were taking pictures, they started fighting again about what to poses to do and where to stand and Hyuk-oppa made a comment about Gyul-unnie's height that got her mad. They were fighting on our way to the elevator, and to the basement parking lot, and to the car. I walked behind them with Teuk-oppa beside me who seemed busy with his phone. That or he's trying to drown out the noise.

"I don't get it, oppa." I said quietly.

"What don't you get, Jiyoung-ah."

"Those two. One minute, they're arguing, the next they're laughing and playing, and then arguing again. It's starting to get annoying." Leeteuk-oppa just looked at me, urging me to continue. "Seungyeon-unnie told me that Gyul-unnie has a thing for Hyuk-oppa."

"Really?" Oppa responded, but his tone just told me that he already knew. He's just trying to humor me.

"U-huh. So, why are they always fighting? I mean, you called it flirting. But in the movies, isn't flirting like, really sweet and sometimes funny? What they're doing is just infuriating and deafening, if I do so say myself."

Teuk-oppa just laughed and pat me on the head. "Ah, Jiyoung-ah. So young and innocent. I'll explain." He put his arm around my shoulder and directed my focus on the two individuals in front of us, who have stopped their banter and are shoving each other playfully. "This whole fighting-arguing-insulting thing? It's a game they play."

"Oh-kaaay." I nodded my head. "I still don't get it."

"They don't hate each other, Jiyoung-ah."

"Then why are they always fighting?"

"Let's just say, it's how THEY show their affection."

"Why? Is it so hard to just admit to liking each other and show it the way normal people would?"

Our car arrived and Leeteuk-oppa opened the door for me. "You'll get it when you start liking someone, Jiyoung-ah...when you're older...maybe ten years from now."

"Whatever you say, oppa."

"Be careful on your way. Call me when you get home." I heard Hyuk-oppa tell Gyul-unnie. He opened his arms for a hug but unnie just shoved him, stuck her tongue out and went in the car. But before we left, she opened her window and rested her elbows there so she could still talk to him.

"I will." She smiled and blew him a kiss, before rollling the window up and ordering the driver to go.

As we were on the road, I asked, "So, do you like him now and you two are gonna stop arguing all the time?" I felt hopeful that I was gonna see more movie-like and soap opera-like scenarios with Hyuk-oppa and Gyul-unnie.

"Of course not." She answered.

"Of course not to the first question, or the second one?"

Gyul-unnie pat me on the head. "I'm not telling. You'll find out when you're older." She laughed leaned back into the chair then closed her eyes.

Aigoo.


Okay, I know this is long overdue. And I apologize for that. But I've been suffering with writer's block. That and school is taking up all my time. I hope I still have you readers. AND I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I just find Jiyoung really adorable. But not as adorable as HyukRi during SUKIRA. Seriously, there's too much witty banter to not be called flirting. Hahaha. Till next time. Cheers!