Fall For You

Playing the Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There’s a nip in the air, a warning of the coming autumn. Zitao ‘s head is tipped back with glee, laughter pooling from his mouth as he runs at Yifan, faking left, right, before left again and lean arms wrap around the elder’s waist. He nuzzles into the warmth of his boyfriend’s body, and smiles up at his face. “I love fall…” He breathes, eyes bright.

 

It’s one of those times that he lets go, that he surrenders to the change in the atmosphere and allows his inner child to surface. It’s different that how he normally acts; sure, confident, professional. He knows that Yifan treasures these moments, as rare they are, and can tell he’s already packing this into a memory for safekeeping.

 

“Race you back to the house.” Yifan is whispering as he leans in close, lips pressed against his ears. The act has Zitao shivering, but he’s pushing the blonde male away, and already taking off, long legs pounding against the ground. He hears the sound of Yifan’s chuckle chase after him, the male soon catching up. Zitao pushes himself harder, arms pumping the air, attempting to place more distance between him and the elder. He think’s he’s done it, that he’s in the clear when he’s only a few feet from the back porch.

 

Yet as he’s reaching out to grasp the ivory post to haul himself up on the porch, arms circle around his waist, snapping his body backwards, his back hitting the hard surface of what he knows is Yifan’s chest. Zitao attempts to wiggle out of the hold, head shaking, but he’s smiling nonetheless.

 

“Yifannnnnnn.” He whines playfully, his own hands coming to rest on the elder’s arms, tapping them with his fingertips. “You dirty cheater I was about to win.”

 

A mouth finds the back of his neck, gently nibbling at his flesh. “Not Yifan,” the male responds, nose brushing against the fine hairs at his nape.

 

“If you’re not Yifan, then who are you?” There’s a pause in the actions behind him, and Zitao can picture the way the other’s face scrunches, brows drawn together as he thinks of a comeback.

 

“The luckiest man alive.”

 

“You are so cheesy.” Yifan laughs then, and he can feel his shoulders rise against his back in a shrug.

 

“Can’t help it. You do things to me.” Zitao feels his cheeks flush like they do when Yifan starts this, eyes casting to the grass, looking at the littered leaves at their feet.
 

“Love you Fan.” He whispers softly, only loud enough where he knows Yifan can just, just catch it.

 

“Love you too Tao~”

 

“Enough to make me apple cider?” The question earns him more of the throaty chuckles that warms his heart.

 

“We’ll see.”

 

“ hat.”

 

-//-

 

Zitao gets his cider after more rounds of teasing, followed by chaste kisses when they finally make it inside their shared home. The sun has set, dinner has passed, and he now stands at one of the vast windows in their breakfast nook, watching the way the stars glitter against the ebony sky.

 

“Yifan?” He calls out over his shoulder, mug of cider in hand, hoping the other was still nestled in the living room where he last saw him.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Can we go look at the stars tonight?” Zitao hears shuffling in the background, and soon his lover appears, sweats low on his hips, tee rumpled from lying on the couch, exposing a small amount of his hip. He stops to lean up against the doorframe of the kitchen, tilting his head as he examines Zitao from across the room, one hand in his pocket, the other rising to rub at his jawline.

 

“I don’t see why not. Any particular reason you want to go out right now?” As soon as the question is asked, the other’s brow is raised, and a smile forms upon Zitao’s lips.

 

“I want to play under the stars.”

 

A knowing smirk appears on Yifan’s mouth, head dipping in a nod. He pushes himself off the frame, closing the distance between them. His hands come to settle on Zitao’s hips, thumbs brushing up against the bone found there in slow, soothing circles. “I thought so. Why don’t you go put some warmer clothes on, grab your harp, and I’ll make us some more cider to take.” A kiss is pressed against Zitao’s temple, the younger smiling as he tilts his head up slightly so he’s able to kiss the older right, a gentle press of lips against lips.

 

“Thank you~”

 

-//-

 

It doesn’t take Zitao long to gather the smaller harp that he travels with, the one rose in color that hands across his body with a strap while he plays. He made sure it was tuned properly before leaving, and now that he and Yifan were settled in the grass far, far aw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter