Chapter 1 - Attempted Study Time

Smoke and Mirrors

Seokjin had always looked forward to university. He had always liked school as a child, and he’d gotten into his top pick when he’d applied. His parents were overjoyed, he was proud, and when he’d left his mother had cried. It was a silly thing in his mind - after all, he was just moving into the dorms an hours drive away. He wasn’t moving out of the country or anything even remotely similar.

But still, his mother crying had gotten him a bit teary as well.

When he had finally gotten onto campus, Seokjin had enjoyed every moment - the campus was beautiful, the people there seemed pleasant, and there were countless little restaurants and eateries all around that he mentally noted to check out as the year progressed. Walking into his dorm was another story altogether.

Though Seokjin was pleased he only had one roommate, he wasn’t exactly pleased with who it was. Apparently the other man had gotten there before he had, because he’d already made himself comfortable in the living room, game system hooked up and only in boxers. When he heard the door open he waved halfheartedly, barely turning his head away from the television as Seokjin quirked a brow.

It smelled like there had already been smoke in this room.

Seokjin wasn’t sure if it was from the other student smoking or if he’d accidentally set something on fire. Seokjin also wasn’t ruling out the fact that it could have been both of those things.

It only took a moment for the man in front of him to finish whatever it was he was playing, but when he did he finally looked to Seokjin, face bare and almost tired and eyes a bit bloodshot as he smirked.

“What’s up?” he asked, shooting Seokjin a weak peace sign as he leaned his head back against the couch. “I’m Yoongi. Nice to meet you, roomie.”

“I’m Seokjin.” That was all he replied with, eyes narrowed as the other man, Yoongi, took a moment to mouth his name, then nodded and went back to playing his game. Sighing to himself, Seokjin carried his bags down the short hallway and into the empty room. That was one thing that he was pleased about - he had had enough money to be able to afford separate rooms instead of sharing a bedroom with a roommate.

Seokjin spent the next while unpacking, making his bed, putting up a few posters and trying to make the room more homey, as homey as he could make a room with harsh concrete walls. Universities could only do so much to try to make the rooms less cold, and painting the walls white seemed to be where it ended. Seokjin even put up a different set of curtains, not really caring for the ones that had been hanging up as they were too thin and weren’t blocking any sunlight at all.

When he felt like he was done for the day, Seokjin changed into a pair of sweatpants and a tshirt, slipping out of his room and closing the door. He could hear the sounds of the television in the living room, and Seokjin thought for a moment before he narrowed his eyes and peered into Yoongi’s room. His door was open so he didn’t feel bad.

Yoongi’s room felt like a little cave. It was dark - it looked like he’d just hung a blanket over the window, and the walls were somehow already completely covered in posters. There looked to be some instruments in there as well, which did interest Seokjin a bit, as well as a bookcase with some books. When he saw the pipes that were also there, Seokjin narrowed his eyes even more, shaking his head and walking out into the small kitchen that the two of them would have to share. He glanced into the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water from the myriad of energy drinks, opening it and looking back at Yoongi in the living room.

He wasn’t sure that he’d moved in the entire time it had taken for Seokjin to get settled in his room. Yoongi was still playing the same game, eyes focused on the screen as Seokjin leaned over the counter and watched him.

“... So Yoongi, what’s your major?” Seokjin asked, Yoongi taking a moment to play before he realized that Seokjin had asked him a question. Even then, Yoongi didn’t look away from the screen.

“Undecided. I’ll figure it out later. I’m getting all my gen-ed out of the way,” he replied, lips pursed as he tried to kill one of the things he was fighting. “What about you?” Seokjin took another gulp of his water.

“Business major.” At the response Yoongi paused his game, looking Seokjin up and down and rolling his eyes.

“I can change that,” he mumbled, Seokjin cocking his head.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Seokjin asked in response, Yoongi shrugging in a falsely innocent way before smiling and turning back to his game. That left Seokjin to only stare at him, watching as he went back to killing what Seokjin now could see were zombies. Instead of watching him play, Seokjin grabbed a jacket, slipping out to grab food at one of the little restaurants he’d seen as he was walking in.

Seokjin enjoyed every moment, even bringing a bit of his meal back to the room. He was planning on looking over a map to figure out where his classes were so he wouldn’t be late, then possibly watching some television and relaxing for the rest of the night. When he opened the door to the dorm he was faced with an empty dorm, and Seokjin looked around before assuming that Yoongi had locked himself away in his room. So he simply sighed, walking past Yoongi’s room and hearing what he assumed was Yoongi playing one of the instruments he’d stowed away in there.

Though his plans for the night had been a bit boring, they certainly made sure he didn’t miss any of his classes, and with how big the campus was that was something that Seokjin was relieved about. He managed to miss Yoongi a lot of the week, be it because of differing class schedules or just some happy coincidence. Seokjin certainly didn’t mind - Yoongi and him didn’t really seem to mesh, so Seokjin would have to spend the year dealing with it. Just because they were roommates didn’t mean they had to be best friends.

Seokjin yawned as he unlocked the door, a notebook in his hands and a backpack slung over one of his shoulders as he stepped inside and kicked off his shoes. He left them by the door without much of a care, instead focused on getting to his room to do at least one of the things he had to do by the next class. As he walked by Yoongi’s door, though, it opened, and Yoongi stuck his head out with a dazed smile and a laugh.

It smelled disgustingly like weed and Seokjin could see the smoke.

“What are you doing?” Yoongi asked, leaning up against the door frame. Arms crossed over his chest, Yoongi grinned wide, biting his lip a moment later.

“Homework. Like you should be doing,” Seokjin replied, brow quirked as he readjusted his bag over his shoulder. Yoongi laughed.

“ that. I’ll do it later when it’s due,” he replied, glancing back into the room with a hint of a smirk. “I have more important to do right now.”

For a moment Seokjin was almost curious, but his curiosity was quelled when another head popped into view, waving to him cheerfully if not a bit hazily. Seokjin cocked his head, taking in both of their appearances and shaking his head.

They both looked so stoned that he wasn’t sure the conversation would stay on track much longer.

“Seokjin, this is Hobi. Hoseok. I mean this is Hoseok,” Yoongi managed to mumble out in something of a lazy drawl, Hobi slapping him weakly on the shoulder as he laughed. “Hobi, this is my roomie.” Once again Hoseok waved, this time Seokjin waving back. At the very least he looked cheerful, and that was something that Yoongi seemed to be lacking when Seokjin did see him. Another thing he noticed was that Hoseok looked him over with a smirk, glancing at Yoongi before looking back.

“You wanna join in?” he asked, a bit of urging in his voice as he opened the door a bit more. Yoongi shrugged at Seokjin, giving him a hint of a smirk as Seokjin looked away and rolled his eyes.

“No. I don’t. I’m going to do my homework. And pass my classes,” Seokjin replied, not noticing Hoseok looking down at his and smiling up at Yoongi. Yoongi just batted his hand away as he nudged his shoulder, watching as Seokjin walked into his room.

“Suit yourself. If your homework s you over, I’m here if you need me.”

After that Seokjin closed his door, he looked at his list of assignments and sighed. In the back of his mind, Seokjin was wondering if he should take Yoongi up on her offer, but then he just sighed at himself, settling at his desk and getting to work on one of the assignments he’d been given in math.

At first things seemed to be going pretty well - Seokjin was understanding the problems and he was getting the point and the right answers. It was pretty much a review of what he’d been doing last year, but now they were trying to make it a bit more complicated.

Seokjin heard music from the room next to his and he glared at the wall, trying to ignore it as much as he could. After all, Yoongi was in his own room, so he couldn’t get too mad at him. He could have knocked on the door and told him to stop, but Seokjin wasn’t in the mood to be confrontational so he stayed quiet, eyes focused down on his paper instead.

It was when he heard a moan that he paused, once again staring up at the wall. He didn’t want to ask what Yoongi was doing, but if it got any louder he might just bang on the wall.

There were a few more moments of silence, music playing but not really bothering Seokjin. When he heard another moan he paused again, setting down his pencil and resting his head in his hands. Seokjin assumed that this was going to go on for a while, and he groaned in slight irritation, moving to lie down on his bed instead as he waited for the moans and gasps to die down.

Instead they just got louder.

Despite the thick look to the walls, they seemed as thin as paper. Seokjin could hear everything, from the moans to the exhalations of ‘pull my hair tighter, Hobi’ and ‘ yeah, your tongue is so ing nice’. Seokjin wasn’t going to chalk this one up as a night to particularly remember.

Rolling his eyes, Seokjin shoved his pillow over his head, eyes closed and trying to block it out. He didn’t want to hear any of this right now, and if Yoongi was planning on doing something like this a lot, they would have to set down some ground rules. In fact, they should probably have that talk anyway.

Seokjin’s thoughts were disrupted when a loud moan sounded through the wall, and before he could think about it Seokjin picked up one of his shoes he hadn’t gotten around to unpacking yet and tossed it at the wall.

All the sound stopped, even the music after a few moments, and Seokjin sighed in relief.

“Thank god,” he mumbled, lying flat on his back.

There was short time when Seokjin heard hushed mumbles from the other room but he ignored them, waiting to hear Yoongi’s door open before he got up and did the same. He caught Hoseok as he slipped out of the dorm, eyes narrowed as Yoongi pursed his lips.

“You didn’t have to throw ,” he said, eyes red as he puffed out his cheeks. Seokjin raised a brow.

“You could have been quieter,” Seokjin responded, Yoongi staring at him before shrugging in agreement. He didn’t say anything else until Seokjin continued. “So are you two… dating or something?” he asked, Yoongi unable to help himself as he busted out laughing.

“What? Me and Hoseok?” he asked, Seokjin nodding. “No. No, we get high and around some but we’re not dating. Why? You jealous or some ?” Yoongi added almost as an afterthought, grinning when Seokjin looked at him in what appeared to be a look of confusion and irritation.

“No. No, that’s dumb,” Seokjin replied, pushing slightly mussed hair out of his face. His pillow had destroyed how he’d originally styled his hair, so now it was hanging almost limply in front of his eyes. Yoongi just watched him, leaning against his door and running his tongue along his teeth.

“Okay…” Yoongi said, words drawn out and sing song. He hummed with a smug smirk on his face, door half open as he leaned on it. “Next time, just jump in if you want. I said I’m here for you if you ever need me.” Yoongi was clearly teasing him but Seokjin didn’t respond, instead just walking into his room and closing the door behind him.

Yoongi and Seokjin were almost complete opposites.

This year was going to be very long.