The Offer

Broken yet Precious

It’s already ten in the evening, all the workers are preparing to close the coffee shop. Meanwhile Tiffany is still getting rotten in her office, thinking about the moment she just had earlier. Yuri just told her that the girl she likes is mute. But it doesn’t matter for Tiffany, she’s just shocked. She couldn’t stop tapping the tip of the pen to the desk, making some noise that Tiffany doesn’t bother—or she couldn’t even hear how annoying it is because she fell too deep into her train of thoughts.

 

There are knocks on the door, loud enough to make Tiffany snapped from her thoughts. The door cracks open after Tiffany allowed her or him to come in. And it’s Yuri, in her viridian green v-neck with black leather hanged on her arm and ripped jeans—her usual outfit.

 

“Hey, I’m about to—what happened?”

 

“Huh? Nothing. What were you saying?”

 

“I’m about to go home. What happened to you? You look so awful. Like a zombie.”

 

Tiffany sighs, “nah, it’s okay. Really.”

 

Yuri her head to one side, studying Tiffany’s face which make the other girl feels uneasy.

 

“Stop looking at me. Be careful on the road though. Someone may want to kill you at this time.”

 

“Is that you who wants to kill me?”

 

Tiffany rolls her eyes and shoos Yuri who’s laughing as she exits the room. But the thought of Jessica is a mute still bugging her. It’s such a pity for a pretty girl like her to be mute. Tiffany sighs for one more time and gets up of her chair, clearing up her desk and preparing to go home.

/

The street is so quiet. There’s no sign of human wandering around here except Yuri and Jessica who just arrived in front of Jessica’s house. The blonde girl gets off the bike before facing Yuri and muttering ‘thank you’ to the other girl as she slide the glasses of her helmet up.

 

“No problem. See you tomorrow. Have a good rest, Sica. Say hi to Krys from me.” Yuri says as starts the engine of her bike.

 

I will.” Jessica waves at Yuri as she departs. She and Yuri have been a good friend since they were freshmen. They were in the same class for one semester and became so close.

 

Yuri too, surprised when she met Jessica for the first time. She was asking for a direction to the class, but Jessica didn’t answer her; only dragging her pen on a paper to explain Yuri how to get to her class. Yuri got mad since she was tired of looking for a class in such a huge campus and yelled at Jessica. As soon as Yuri finished yelling at Jessica for being rude, Jessica immediately wrote something in a paper to let Yuri know that she is mute. When Yuri read it, something inside her broke her whole heart and felt bad to the other girl—and of course for yelling at her. Since that day, Yuri promised to Jessica that she will protect her from anything and become Jessica’s speaker. It has been three years and the promise Yuri has been made still exist, although Jessica has told her that it’s not necessary to do that, but Yuri still insists.

 

Jessica pulls out the key from the pocket of her bag and unlocks the door. She put her shoes before walking to the living room, only to find her little sister sleeping on the couch, hugging her teddy bear. Probably she fell asleep while waiting for Jessica.

 

The older girl her little sister’s hair, waking her up. “Krys?

 

“Hi, sis.”

 

I’m sorry I made you waiting for me.

 

“It’s okay. Have you eaten yet?”

 

I have.

 

Krys or Krystal, rubs her eyes to clear her vision of her sister pulling out her jacket and drinking water. She couldn’t hold it anymore and excuse herself to sleep earlier than her sister.

 

Unlike the others, Krystal could speak with Jessica without the older girl write something on the paper. Krystal can understand her by her gestures and how she mouthing something. Jessica sits on the chair, opens her Macbook to continue her assignments; until Krystal disturb her plan by calling her from the door.

 

“Sis, can you accompany me? I kinda had a scary dream.”

 

Jessica merely smiles, closing the Macbook before she does anything with it. She slides in to the blanket with Krystal by her side, hugging her older sister by the waist and murmurs something.

 

What is it?

 

“Nothing. You are so warm. I like it.”

 

Jessica her sister’s hair again before giving her a kiss on the forehead.

 

“Good night, sis.”

 

Good night, Krys.

 

Some people has been suspicious about them. They look like an , despite it’s how Jessica and Krystal show their love to each other. It’s only both of them in this world. Their parents have gone to the place where nobody could reach it because of an incident when they were young. Since that time, Jessica promised to herself to protect Krystal at all costs. No matter what, she has to protect her little sister from anything bad. That’s why she become so protective toward Krystal.

 

Although Krystal thinks she can protect herself since she can do judo (while Jessica can do karate), but Jessica didn’t let her to do that because it doesn’t guaranteed to protect her. Krystal is a mature 18-year-old teenager, but Jessica still treat her like a 5-year-old girl. She is so paranoia.

 

Jessica stares at Krystal’s puffy sleeping face, before placing another kiss on the cheek and leaving her to do her assignments in the living room.

/

The door’s bell clangs as Jessica open the door of a store. She is looking for a new drawing kit since her old one cannot be used anymore. The cashier guy greets her since Jessica is not a new customer in that store; basically every people that work in the store knows her. Jessica smiles and rushes to the rack that sells drawing kit.

 

When she is looking for the drawing kit that suits her, she kind of notice another presence that just walked in through the rack, yet she ignore that person and continue what she was doing.

 

“Jessica?”

 

She rapidly turns her head to the person who called her name. It’s Tiffany, Yuri’s friend—and Yuri’s boss. Jessica smiles and raises her hand to give a small wave. Then Tiffany gives a look for a few second and her gaze is back to Jessica.

 

“You draw?”

 

Yeah.

 

“I assume your major is art.”

 

Jessica chuckles, “that’s right. What’s yours?

 

Tiffany rubs the back of her head, “fashion designer.”

 

Awesome!

 

“Thank you. It’s hard when you don’t have an art DNA in your body.”

 

Both of them laughs as Jessica feels the awkwardness is not there anymore. “What are you doing here? Are you looking for a drawing kit too?

 

“I’m not. I was about to the book section for a fashion book, but then I saw you and decided to approach you.”

 

Ah, I see.

 

But then the awkwardness strikes again.

 

“So Jessica, when we are finished here, d-do you want to have lunch with me?”

 

It’s so weird that Jessica doesn’t take long to accept Tiffany’s offer when she always refuses acquaintances’ offers to have lunch and dinner together.