Kim Junsu

A Tease or Two

Jang RiIn.

One of the first few students who the minute they entered my classroom, had the final decision to switch out of my course by next week.

Of course the head of the university threw the “change course” paper back at her face, refusing to let her out of my class.

I should thank them for that.

Remind me later after I’m done flir—talking to her.

I’ve seen her before, back at our old high school. I was senior back then and she was a freshman. Though she was just like any other girl at our campus, there was something different.

She just stood out from the rest of them.

Maybe it was the light make-up or none at all that made her look like an angel.

Or maybe it was the aggressiveness and courage that contained who she was.

Or maybe…it was just me.

She was not the prettiest; not the iest, and not the smartest, but she had charm.

She probably doesn’t even know that.

 

We never had contact with each other, back in high school.

I never bothered to approach her, and she never looked at me once.

With the reputation I had, it gave me a punch on the face that didn't know who I was.

That was how much she could care less of the “popular” students.

Which of course, with this kind of pride, made me want to go up to this girl and demand her to talk to me.

I wanted her to know who I was; I wanted her to—just once—to look at me, even if it was just a glance.

But she refused to let that happen.

As days pass, little by little she was pushing my ego to the edge.

I knew I had to do something, but that was far beyond who I was.

How would it look like to have Kim Junsu beg for a girl’s attention?

It wasn’t going to happen.

It’s not that I was a stalker, or a creeper, but I followed her around without her knowledge. It came to the point where I wanted to see her every day, even if she never looked at me.

Jang RiIn knew something was up, she knew there was someone watching her, following her, but I was always a step ahead of her.

I remember after three weeks of looking back, glancing around, and running away so many times from the person who supposedly “monitored” her, she gave up and just went on with her daily routine.

“Funny, you’re coming to lunch without panting for once.”

I had overheard Yeonhee from behind me while I was approaching the cafeteria tables with the group.

“That stupid stalker is one hell of a guy. It’s too tiring and I’m getting bored doing the same thing everyday just for him. I give up Yeonhee ah, he can do whatever he wants, he’s not going to get anything from me anyway.”

I remember smiling to myself in victory when she declared her lost.

It was after all, much more easy for me now.

We played cat and mouse throughout the school year. She knew her “follower” was still on the move, but she chose to ignore me and I gladly took her ignorance.

When I graduated, I knew I wasn’t going to see her anymore.

She was still in high school while I was off to college.

Who knew when I was going to her again; or more importantly, finally meet me.

Two and a half years.

The worst years of my life.

During that time, I was always itching to go to Seoul High School just to see her.

I needed to.

But the distance and transportation prevented me from doing so, and I was thankful. God knows what I would have done if these problems did not stop me.

I can safely say that I was not obsessed; she wasn’t my addiction either, but it ed me up all day while I was attending university that I couldn’t even have a glimpse of her face.

I just missed her, so badly.

I recall laughing at myself stupidly.

I was missing a girl so much to the point that it was driving me crazy; yet, she doesn’t even know I exist, let alone know me.

That is, until I was offered to be an intern at a university down south, almost near the previous high school I attended.

And it so happened, that she was attending the same university I was offered to teach.

Seoul National University

The second she entered my classroom, I almost couldn’t contain how happy and shocked I was to see her once again, only this time, as my student.

And finally, when I called her name for attendance, she looked at me with her gorgeous eyes that I was dying to see for the longest time.

 

“Jang RiIn?”

“Yes.”

“Nice to meet you, I’m Kim Junsu."