-the warmth and everything between-

Incognito
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Jongdo pitied Soojung for having to live alone in her apartment along with her older brother. Her single mother had to often stay outside going here and there across the country in order to make enough living for them.

This was the reason why she grew up mature and decent. Soojung had tasted everything from staying home alone when she was still a clueless 6 years old, waiting for her older by three years brother to come home, to doing house chores all on her own even from elementary. Her father left the family for his long-lost love. Having to carry the whole family on her shoulder afterward, her mother started her career as an accountant and reached her success after 9 years of struggling.

Jongdo remembered clearly how he encountered her on the first day of high school. She was alone inside the class while he just escaped from Jongin’s fans’ crazy chasing. Jongin was still Jongin back then, he’s not yet become EXO Kai as the group hasn't debuted yet, but the number of fans he gained was no joke. It’s not like he went into the same school as him, because Jongdo who wants to conquer the business industry chose to roll in a private school while Jongin clearly made his way to a top famous performing arts school where idols were born from, but he was still chased around the school building for only one reason, and it’s because he has the typical look with SM’s hot trainee, Kim Jongin.

She showed him good ignorance when he barged into the class as he hysterically slammed the door close. Maybe she had heard about the clone of SM’s hot trainee at the time so neither she was surprised or simply reacted. He was the one who approached her to ask for a tissue because he sweated bullets as usual and that’s how he found out her name is Jung Soojung.

She wasn’t opening up to him at first, but slowly she began to spill out one story to another about her until he realized that what she needed is simply a company in her life. He recognized her as weird at first to be really honest because she’s pretty but she keeps silent most of the time, yet she’s far from what it’s called a nerd. She would make some nice conversation with people but she just found it unnecessary to gang up everywhere. She’s just a normal girl; the only difference is that she's already mature at such age compared to the other students.

Jongdo himself isn’t an introvert. He’s just too disregarded to even care about other people but when he met her, he learned how to live with others. She's never taught him in words, but she always led him through acts and there he began to grow attention on her. He started to realize that she’s not eating well, he noticed that she never has any peers, he found out that she struggled alone, and more to come. 

Making breakfast for her using everything available in her fridge is already common for him to do. He hates her recklessness about eating properly, therefore he always goes over to her place in the morning and cooks her something. Her brother often left her because he’s too busy seeking happiness outside that he often forgot about her sister. Not that he doesn’t love her, he just thought she had reached the age where she could take care of everything under her hand so he just let her be. When she grew up as a wise broken home child, her brother did otherwise by growing as a party animal.

Jongdo placed the last thing on a tray and brought it to her bedroom. He knocked on the door first before going inside to find Soojung tidying her messy bed from her sleep last night. She’s already set up to go for the day so the only thing she needed to do is to eat. Good thing Jongdo is considered a good cook so the taste is never disappointing.

Jongdo watched Soojung enjoying her breakfast beside the window where her couches were placed with a pleased smile on his face. She chewed the soft-omelet while enjoying the view from the 16th floor. In the middle of drinking her chocolate milk, Soojung flinched when she felt something brushing against her hair, turned out it was Jongdo brushing her hair for her. “Is it still messy? I didn’t do my hair in a rush though.”

“No. I just want to brush your hair,” he cackled.

“You know what? You look like a gay friend at this state,” she countered as her hand made her way to Jongdo’s mouth to feed him a sauté cherry tomato. “And you scared me.”

“Why is it so delicious?” Jongdo admired his own skill as he snatched for another more. “You should be thankful, Soojung. I’m gifted with skillful hand.”

“Then just stop doing your whatsoever business and open a restaurant instead.”

“What?!” Jongdo jokingly strangled her neck using his arm–causing her to burst out in a laugh. “No no no no no! I’m kidding!”

He gave up locking her in his arms and patted her head. “Hey. Finish your food already and let’s go,” Jongdo put down the hairbrush and ruffled her hair to create a little mess in her hair.

“Kim Jongdo!!!”

Jongdo sneered at her as she brushed his thumb against the tip of her lips. “You got chocolate milk on your mouth. How could you become so reckless?”

She brushed her own lips and checked once again if there were still any stain left. “Whatever. Let’s go.”

“Yeah. You’re right, “ he said as he circled his right arm around her waist and carried her over his shoulder, “LET'S GO!!!”

“KIM JONGDO! LET ME DOWN!!!”

 

-----

 

The coffee shop’s situation that afternoon was rather vacant. There were only three tables occupied out of eight tables in total–one table filled with two businessmen, two lovers having the time of their life on the corner, while the one placed beside the window was occupied by Soojung alone.  

She never bothers staying alone in broad daylight. A cup of hot chocolate, cinnamon bagels, and her phone to accompany her is enough to bring serenity to her. She never forces herself to have herself companied but would accept when someone she knows wants to join. That afternoon, the same thing happened to her on the same table as usual. A cup of hot chocolate and vanilla bagels, her taste just never changes.

“Jung Soojung?” Soojung looked up to the voice calling her name in a startled tone. He was a boy with a black beanie and a black colored mask. Judging from the way he covered almost half of his face, she’s sure it must be someone famous. 

Before she replied, he voluntarily pulled the mask down to his sharp chin to reveal his bare face. “Sehun!” she called out. “Why are you here?”

“Probably for the best macchiato I’ve ever had in town,” he shoved his hands onto pocket and stared down at her with a friendly smile. “Wait here for a while. I will grab my order first.”

The two ended up sitting at the same table; talking about things starting from EXO journey to the entertainment industry to college life Sehun had never known about. The clockwise reached 4 pm already even without they realized and it’s a sign for him to come ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter