A Step Closer

Loving, Thousand Years More

 

       It is confirmed then by midnight via text message - an invitation to the engagement party at summer house by Lee Donghae - which Ryeowook practically tries his best not to roll his eyes at his best friend's cheesy excitement if the heart at the end of the sentence is anything to go by.

       Please do come at 6 in the evening. Tq ♥

       The designer knows this is all a matter of time; Donghae and Siwon together. They are both just too plain obvious and he kind of surprised when Kyuhyun couldn't tell the situation like how he could come out with different possibility of diagnoses complete with variety of treatments. Here, he thinks Kyuhyun is all - Reaching for his phone Ryeowook blocks his trains of thought as he typing rather furiously.

       Congrats! You could tell me sooner (-,-)

       I've told you last week. The night Siwon proposed to me, I told you the details (o_o)

       Telling me the details isn't equal as announcing the official. You caught me off guard, alright!

       You should have seen it coming (@.@)

       Whatever :p Anyway, is there a theme for tomorrow? Should I buy anything for you?

       Donghae decides to reply his text longer than what Ryeowook expects of him. Throwing his phone inside his jeans pocket he steps out to the living room. The dinner with the senior doctors has come to an end thirty minutes ago; after Leeteuk persistently urges Kangin to walk out from the apartment once the elder reads the engagement message.

       "We need to get ourselves ready for tomorrow." It's a little close to eleven at that time. "You would sleep like a log for the whole day and decide to wake up when the sun is shining bright on your face. By then, we have a little time to get you ready."

       "Yeah, okay I get it." Grumbling Kangin leaves the couch and grabs the elder doctor by hands, dragging him. "Stop nagging old man." Ryeowook watches in amusement as they bid goodnight to Kyuhyun before hugging him just warmly. The kids along with Kyuhyun send them both off right before the entrance.

       "See you tomorrow, kids. And you, too Kyu." Leeteuk says. Waving his hand at Ryeowook he smiles. "Bye Ryeowook, see you tomorrow." The designer smiles back.

       As they are all have done some clearing and cleaning and everything is spotless which is an appropriate time for Ryeowook to retrieve his phone in the bedroom, is confused as to why the kids are getting cozy on the couch. The lanky doctor is nowhere to be seen.

       "What are you doing?" Taking a seat beside Min Gyu he throws a brief glance at the phone on Ryeohyun's hand where both kids have their interest at. It takes a little while before the boy could actually answer Ryeowook's. He notices then the phone is Kyuhyun's.

       "Sorry, hyung. Ahra-noona just sends pictures of her children. They are all cute." Tilting the phone slightly at the designer the boy squeals at the baby picture of Kyuhyun's only and recent nephew. "Look hyung, aren't he cute?" He has these dreamy eyes that Ryeowook suspiciously trying not to judge the boy and trailing his eyes to the daughter instead. Her small frame fits perfectly in Min Gyu's arm, smile adorning her features.

       "Yeah," he agrees. All babies look cute at the early age anyway. "What's his name again?"

       "I'm not sure. I think it's Youngjae." Not bothering to confirm it Ryeowook pulls away and rests his head at the back of the couch, eyes still on the giggling kids. The warm sensation tempts him to slumber. Closing his eyes he feels the vibration at the side of his jeans yet the exhausted mind chooses to ignore it. The designer however pulls out the gadget and slides it over to the couch, peacefully continues his sleep.



       He is awakens to the rustle of papers and the sound of someone humming his favorite pieces. Fluttering his eyes open, Kyuhyun's smooth backside is the first thing that graces his sight, the shoulder muscle flexing underneath the light blue shirt - a color that fits the lanky perfectly. Ryeowook's eyes trace the light that breaking through the lanky hair, watching the gentle glow plays around the other's long nape. Moving his hand he reaches for the pale skin.

       Just when he is about to touch that expanse skin Ryeowook instinctively retracts his hand as Kyuhyun turns himself around, looking all surprised. The designer isn't sure why but he lets silence drags them further down to the black hole as he trying not to choke himself with the short breaths intake. Kyuhyun's eyes are raking and boring to the depth of his brown eyes. He tries to break free from the gaze still there's something drawing him not to. It feels familiar somehow.

       "Did I wake you up?"

       Ryeowook then realizes Kyuhyun is in the living room with him - his glasses frame his face, hair tousles in a mess and tumbles into his beautiful hazel eyes. The dim lit ambiance gives him rooms for many details he wouldn't catch himself saying. The petite male hears himself asking. "What are you doing?" He gestures at the papers scattering on the coffee table.

       Kyuhyun's smooth reply casts away every frayed nerve in him. "It is works related. Did I mention about the big surgery to you yet?" As the doctor collects all the notes and stacks them together he continues before Ryeowook could actually say yes to him. "This marks the first case that I'm going to handle since I came to the hospital. Initially I want to refuse but everyone succeeds in convincing me and here I am like a nervous-wreck." He chuckles. That's the only reason Ryeowook knows Kyuhyun would do just fine despite the anxious feeling the lanky admitted.

       Sitting up straight he folds the blanket - Kyuhyun must has decided on waiting for him, that's why the doctor works in the living room with kitchen backlight serves as background - quietly, still listening to Kyuhyun's calm tone regarding the surgery. He isn't sure when Kyuhyun changes the subject but Jinki's name jostles him awake, if not much.

       "Alright, let's get you to bed." Pulling him to his feet Kyuhyun softly says.

       "No, tell me more about Jinki." All the while doesn't protest when Kyuhyun steers him forward. "I want to hear more."

       "Ryeowook, I'll tell you tomorrow." Kyuhyun glances at the clock in the living room: a quarter past two. "It's getting late. You need to sleep."


       Morning comes in a soft smile tugging on Kyuhyun's face as the petite male settles for searching the right garment for the party later in the evening. Once he freshens himself up he grabs his phone at the bedside table and open Donghae's conversation message: three texts unread.

       You could wear anything expensive for all I know :D

       Sorry, nope there's no theme. And please do bring some present ^^

       It's a joke, in case you didn't notice.

       Smiling at the silly thoughts of Donghae, Ryeowook is feeling all content. The elder composer knows he isn't good in reading things between the lines. Never mind he is all for the body language but he hates it when he couldn't tell whether someone is telling him the truth or just lie straight to his face. It albeit he isn't one for the blatant things, still.

       He learns something one of these days though (considering how dense his skull is) - sticky notes on the bedroom make things easier for everyone in the apartment. It takes him a while to finally see the subtlety in it. Kyuhyun doesn't exactly tell the kids to get ready by six-thirty for school during dinner yet everything goes smoothly (he expects some kind of rushing in the morning like how the movies always do when it's time for school) but they converse just as chattily and quietly with a smile.

       There's this one formal event that Kyuhyun requires to attend for the company (he has the shares in it) and in needs to bring a companion and he isn't available during that time (the details have engraves in his mind - dining and donning some silver and orange at nine). As far as he concerns Min Gyu doesn't have silver or orange garment - the closest would be gray but it's a cardigan - and surprisingly before both of them off to dine, Min Gyu asks for him to fasten the orange-silver stripped tie.

       "Did you do a fitting?" Honestly he baffled as the boy just comes home straight after school that day.

       "I did, yesterday evening with hyung."

       The boy is wearing ginger brown suit over a white dress shirt, a nice contrast with his pale skin. "Did you like the color?"

       "It does look good on me, right?" Surprisingly it is and Ryeowook just smiles at him. "Is that a yes?" The boy triumph happily, commenting how Kyuhyun-hyung isn't very helpful when he choosing the color for the suit.

       "I didn't recall any conversation about fitting you in a suit though?"

       Shrugging he replies. "He did ask me to think the night before the fitting, saying that the suit would stick with me as long as he sees it. I think hyung is just being stingy." The boy adds, "He writes a note on my door."

       "That's it?"

       "We do some talking in the car, asking for his opinion and such but nothing is helpful."

       Hence Ryeowook is off doing exactly that - writing notes and sticking them on the door before walking to the kitchen, preparing breakfast for the day. His phone is beeping, indicating a message as he rummages the fridge. The small male somehow ignores it until later after the breakfast is ready on the table and waiting for people to fill in the seat.

       Good morning, sunshine :)

       Does Siwon know you call me that, hyung? Ryeowook couldn't be bothered with emoticons anymore. That's just a one-night escapade.

       He knows everything about you, honey ;p

       And that's it. Ryeowook ignores the phone once again and opts to wait for the children. Before he could stride to their room which is located opposite of each other's room, his daughter comes out from the room. "Morning, daddy,"

       "Morning sweetheart, let's wake Min Gyu up together, shall we?" There's a restraining hold on his arm and he looks at his daughter. "Why?"

       The girl sporting her pretty smile, "I can wake him up alone."

       Right then and there he knows the scheme of the daughter is trying him to do. He raps on the door quickly before (the girl manages to make him follow her plan) saying, "I'm coming in. You might need to cover yourself up." There are some movements suggesting that the boy behind the closed door is doing exactly that.

       "Come in," his voice thick with sleep.

       Ryeohyun marches forward to the boy on the bed only to stop a length-arm from the bed, blushing profusely. "And here I think the little girl can handle the big guy," Ryeowook teases. Min Gyu bursts out laughing extending his arm to ruffle her hair. Yet the move shifts the blanket slightly lower, revealing a bit of pale flesh - that makes the little girl shrieks in embarrassment.

       And Ryeowook cracks up, laughing to his heart's content. "This is your first," Gathering the girl into his arms he watches her cheeks reddens some more.

       He turns to a blind eye when she muffles angrily on his chest. "Daddy, stop." She's whining under her breath something he couldn't make out with her too fast English instead he's peering at the boy on the bed. He looks amused more than anything.

       As the boy's eye meets him Ryeowook smiles reassuringly. "Come have a breakfast once you dress yourself." His daughter still clings onto him when they out from the room thus he leads them both to master bedroom.

       Though the sight that graces him ending up with the heart hammering in the chest, the small male is thankful at the distraction the little girl offers as she running towards Kyuhyun, who is sitting on the edge of the bed while hands busy drying his hair. The images from the night before assaulted his mind and he leaves the room hastily before the doctor could actually realize he's standing there in the first place.

       In the midst of the overwhelmed feel, his hand reaches the phone on the kitchen-countertop.

       I don't think I could handle this.